Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ask A Question, Get An Answer Thread
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
dhoward126
Hey guys, I love nothing more but to communicate with all of our readers on FightHype whether it through e-mails or the radio show so I'm making another ask one get one thread for you guys. I don't care how ridiculous your questions are! Keep me entertained.
cuzzo707
1) Can I get a shot out on the show today? I try to call every week from Alaska (toll free) but it keeps saying the show will start in 2 hours when I am listening to you guys live LOL.

2) I wanna work for fighthype team how can I do that?

(Alaska fighthype fan) Calvin
dhoward126
QUOTE (cuzzo707 @ Oct 5 2011, 10:52 AM) *
1) Can I get a shot out on the show today? I try to call every week from Alaska (toll free) but it keeps saying the show will start in 2 hours when I am listening to you guys live LOL.

2) I wanna work for fighthype team how can I do that?

(Alaska fighthype fan) Calvin

Calvin, I'll try and fit that in for you my man! As for writing for us, that's something you'll have to e-mail Ben about.

Thanks for the questions!
bnoles4life
While I'm sure this topic (and question for that matter) gets old, but in YOUR opinion, what is the likelihood that Manny & Co. have something significant (superstitions aside) to hide, as it pertains to random blood & urine testing?
blackbelt2003
Which world level fighter in your opinion has the BEST bunch of names on his record right now? Not necessarily all wins, but who has put it out there the most?

Black
Jack 1000
Sup Danny?

Thanks for your great work with the show! My question would be, what is your favorite fight to watch of all time?

Jack
Maxy
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 5 2011, 12:35 PM) *
Which world level fighter in your opinion has the BEST bunch of names on his record right now? Not necessarily all wins, but who has put it out there the most?

Black

I'll second that.
dhoward126
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 5 2011, 11:09 AM) *
While I'm sure this topic (and question for that matter) gets old, but in YOUR opinion, what is the likelihood that Manny & Co. have something significant (superstitions aside) to hide, as it pertains to random blood & urine testing?

I got you man, don't worry.

First I'll say this: That fight isn't happening and won't happen because of Bob Arum. Now that I got that out of the way, to answer your question I do believe that there is something going on. There are so many contradictions that have flooded the media in regards to this matter, here are my favorites:

1. Pacquiao is "scared" of needles, yet he owns a tattoo parlor outside of his gym and he's been seen taking blood two weeks out before the Hatton fight happier than all shit. Also, he gets cut like every fight and he doesn't go Juan Diaz mode. More on this in a moment

2. Saying it's not a matter of money but a matter of pride. Are you telling me that Pacquiao has so much pride to turn down a $40-50 million payday cause he's been insulted yet has to ask Bob Arum for a $5 million dollar advance from his upcoming fight? That is a load of bullshit to say "I'm not going to fight this guy because he disrespected me," to then turn around and go "Bob, I need money and I need it right now, take if off my next paycheck." Last time I checked, begging isn't very prideful.

3. 7 days, 14 days, 21 days WTF is going on? Everybody in Manny's camp are giving out numbers like in Super Lotto. Floyd's stance has been full-on random, but Pacquiao's team changes the story when it is convenient for them to do so.

4. Amir Khan had an irregularity in his post fight screening against Marcos Maidana, what then followed was that he subsequently fired Alex Ariza and went into his fight with Paul McCloskey without him. Khan looked sluggish and had to force his way through that fight, everybody said he looked like shit, so then they got Ariza back for the Judah fight. Khan physically looks like a monster and is a far cry from the McCloskey fight...isn't that so weird? Also, Roach worked with James Toney who has been busted for steroids multiple times and admitted that Justin Fortune also used steroids as well, yet he turns around and says in 09 that he doesn't know a thing about steroids?

Finally, if you get pulled over by a cop and he accuses you of driving under the influence and he's going to take you to jail, do you tell the cop to kiss your ass and nobody disrespects you? That would be absolutely stupid. You get out, take the sobriety test, pass and you're on your way because you proved the accuser wrong and invalidated his argument. Pacquiao thinks he doesn't have to do that, I think because everybody who doesn't have something to hide should feel comfortable proving their innocence.

Thank you for the question!
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 5 2011, 11:35 AM) *

Black

off top ide think a guy like Cotto... Mosley is another.. and maybe Marg...
dhoward126
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 5 2011, 11:35 AM) *

Black

I'd have to say Sergio Martinez and Tomasz Adamek have the resume to back up the hardware. Martinez fought five former or current world champions in a row going 3-1-1 with two KOs and should've KOd Cintron if he didn't bitch out, also before that he stopped Alex Bunema who was, at the time, a top rated contender at 154. Pavlik and Williams became "garbage" after Martinez beat them both, he also was the underdog in those fights if my memory serves me right.

Adamek beat a fresh Paul Briggs twice in two excellent fights, lost to the best Chad Dawson we would never see again, goes up to Cruiserweight and cleans out that division while beating former top dog O'Neil Bell, the consistently best fighter at the division in Steve Cunningham and then an undefeated Jonathan Banks in addition to other wins. He goes up to Heavyweight, LEGITIMATELY earns his shot against Vitali Klitschko by beating serviceable veterans Michael Grant, Andrew Golota, Shawn Estrada, Chris Arreola etc., until he was drubbed by VKlitschko.

Glen Johnson is the easy way to go too, but that'd just be a cop out lol.

Thanks for the question.
dhoward126
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 5 2011, 11:47 AM) *
Sup Danny?

Thanks for your great work with the show! My question would be, what is your favorite fight to watch of all time?

Jack

Leonard-Hearns I does it for me as does the first Castillo-Corrales fight, another gem I also like is Tommy Morrison vs. Razor Ruddock. I also love watching fighters get completely destroyed stylistically like Mayweather-Corrales, Toney-Barkley and the sort, I love the action but I enjoy the science that much more.

Thank you for the questions!
dhoward126
I'm also usually this accessible on Facebook, so please add me! Im going to take a quick break to crank out my articles but I'll be back!
zucrates
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 5 2011, 11:28 AM) *
Hey guys, I love nothing more but to communicate with all of our readers on FightHype whether it through e-mails or the radio show so I'm making another ask one get one thread for you guys. I don't care how ridiculous your questions are! Keep me entertained.

Why doesn't Mayweather Stop saying both of the cuts in his mouth were from head butt when the cut on the side of his lip was caused by an Ortiz right hand when Mayweather ducked down in that last flurry before Ortiz head butted him ? Also Do you think Tim Bradley has a chance to beat Pacman or Mayweather?
dhoward126
QUOTE (zucrates @ Oct 5 2011, 08:38 PM) *
Why doesn't Mayweather Stop saying both of the cuts in his mouth were from head butt when the cut on the side of his lip was caused by an Ortiz right hand when Mayweather ducked down in that last flurry before Ortiz head butted him ? Also Do you think Tim Bradley has a chance to beat Pacman or Mayweather?

Well, we didn't see the blood before the headbutt so not much we can say there. I think Bradley has a GREAT chance to beat Pacquiao, I think he's slowing down and we'll make a better assessment when he fights Marquez next month.
THands126
You know I'm a fan - I'm one of your Twitter followers!

My question is this: True of false? - Victor Ortiz will be a Jr. MW champion down the road and in the short term, provide a more suitable match-up for Canelo than the list of potential opponents currently bandied about.

Follow up - IF Gamboa truly cleans out FW and JuanMa, how long does is till he conquers Jr. LW and then moves on to LW?
dhoward126
QUOTE (THands126 @ Oct 6 2011, 10:35 AM) *
You know I'm a fan - I'm one of your Twitter followers!

My question is this: True of false? - Victor Ortiz will be a Jr. MW champion down the road and in the short term, provide a more suitable match-up for Canelo than the list of potential opponents currently bandied about.

Follow up - IF Gamboa truly cleans out FW and JuanMa, how long does is till he conquers Jr. LW and then moves on to LW?

False. Ortiz I doubt will ever win a title again, even with his deficiencies I think GBP believes he may be too dangerous of an opponent to risk their cash cow against right now.

Gamboa HAS done everything he can do at 126 and it's time to move up. He handily beat two current world champions at that weight class (Salido and Barrios), also he beat a top contender in the division (Ponce De Leon) and the only other guy he could fight was stopped by a guy he already beat (Lopez-Salido). When you also consider that outside of Adrian Broner and maaaaaaybe Eloy Perez, he will probably clean that weight class out too. He's too short in my opinion to go any further and have that success, but we'll have to see how his skill progresses.
Maxy
Do you believe a fighter has to win titles in multiple divisions to be regarded as a great or can someone just dominate one division without having to constantly satisfy the demands of fellas calling for them to move up?
bnoles4life
Danny,

Why do fight fans have selective memories? Meaning, people scolding Sergio for callling out May and Pac (btw, I agree he should "fuck up" NOT down), but there wasn't much chatter toward BHop when he used to make comments about fighters "starving themselves" to avoid him at 160? Do they not remember he wanted Shane to go up? Didn't he fight Winky at 170? Wasn't Wink a career 154-160 dude? Didn't Trinidad come up? How far off am I?

Btw, this isn't a dig at Bernard (though it sure could.....), but it seems that the same allowances boxing, in favor of the "respected legend" is rearing its ugly head again.
dhoward126
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 6 2011, 12:34 PM) *
Do you believe a fighter has to win titles in multiple divisions to be regarded as a great or can someone just dominate one division without having to constantly satisfy the demands of fellas calling for them to move up?

Nope, but it certainly helps. Sven Ottke, Joe Calzaghe, Kostya Tszyu and Marvin Hagler are all HOF great fighters with Hagler and Tszyu considered to be one of the best fighters to ever compete in their divisions. Calzaghe and Hopkins didn't have to win titles in another weight class to solidify their legacies, they already established it by pure dominance and the most overlooked factor when it comes to assessing fighters: consistency. Boxing is a sport where quantity overshadows quality, so it's normal to overlook a fighter who just won one belt as opposed to several in other weight classes.

dhoward126
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 6 2011, 12:38 PM) *
Danny,

Why do fight fans have selective memories? Meaning, people scolding Sergio for callling out May and Pac (btw, I agree he should "fuck up" NOT down), but there wasn't much chatter toward BHop when he used to make comments about fighters "starving themselves" to avoid him at 160? Do they not remember he wanted Shane to go up? Didn't he fight Winky at 170? Wasn't Wink a career 154-160 dude? Didn't Trinidad come up? How far off am I?

Btw, this isn't a dig at Bernard (though it sure could.....), but it seems that the same allowances boxing, in favor of the "respected legend" is rearing its ugly head again.

Why stop with Hopkins? Calzaghe wanted Taylor to come to the UK at 168 three months after he fought Cory Spinks, when he didn't Calzaghe said "See? Nobody wants to fight me wah wah wah," (The formula Calzaghe followed his whole career btw). Pacquiao is doing the same thing with Marquez, but it's okay then? Marvin Hagler and Bernard Hopkins made their careers by waiting out the smaller guys, I wrote it in my article about Sergio Martinez posted today, and yeah it is a double standard but that's just when your bullshit sensors have to go off and just go with it. Every fighter is granted a different set of rules by the public, hell I bet Pacquiao might fight Brandon Rios soon and people will be like "Okay, well he's a tough fighter cause that's what they want me to believe and Pacquiao only fights the best?" GTFO, but that's an unfortunate reality in boxing.

Thing about Bernard is that even though he made guys like Wright and Pavlik go up to fight him, I don't think Bhop was favored in any of those fights, people were actually thinking Pavlik was going to stop him! So Bernard does it to his advantage, he's a master-matchmaker, but I get your point.

bnoles4life
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 6 2011, 01:01 PM) *
Why stop with Hopkins? Calzaghe wanted Taylor to come to the UK at 168 three months after he fought Cory Spinks, when he didn't Calzaghe said "See? Nobody wants to fight me wah wah wah," (The formula Calzaghe followed his whole career btw). Pacquiao is doing the same thing with Marquez, but it's okay then? Marvin Hagler and Bernard Hopkins made their careers by waiting out the smaller guys, I wrote it in my article about Sergio Martinez posted today, and yeah it is a double standard but that's just when your bullshit sensors have to go off and just go with it. Every fighter is granted a different set of rules by the public, hell I bet Pacquiao might fight Brandon Rios soon and people will be like "Okay, well he's a tough fighter cause that's what they want me to believe and Pacquiao only fights the best?" GTFO, but that's an unfortunate reality in boxing.

Thing about Bernard is that even though he made guys like Wright and Pavlik go up to fight him, I don't think Bhop was favored in any of those fights, people were actually thinking Pavlik was going to stop him! So Bernard does it to his advantage, he's a master-matchmaker, but I get your point.

Great point. I mentioned Bernard in this instance, b/c this isn't the first time he's been the recipient of the "double standard". First, let me point out, Bernard's 10 year reign and 21 MW title defenses is almost unfathomable. It's likely NEVER to be duplicated, at that weight, again. The double standard he benefits from is he stayed at MW, beating decent fighters for 10 years, but no superstars at that weight. His most notable wins come from beating guys who started 140 or lighter. Now, the one thing you hear about Roy Jones, Jr. is how he fought cab drivers and avoided the toughest fighters (Benn, McClellan, Eubanks, Michelczewski, etc.). My question is/was, "wasn't all of those fighters within 8 lbs of B-Hop?
dhoward126
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 6 2011, 05:38 PM) *
Great point. I mentioned Bernard in this instance, b/c this isn't the first time he's been the recipient of the "double standard". First, let me point out, Bernard's 10 year reign and 21 MW title defenses is almost unfathomable. It's likely NEVER to be duplicated, at that weight, again. The double standard he benefits from is he stayed at MW, beating decent fighters for 10 years, but no superstars at that weight. His most notable wins come from beating guys who started 140 or lighter. Now, the one thing you hear about Roy Jones, Jr. is how he fought cab drivers and avoided the toughest fighters (Benn, McClellan, Eubanks, Michelczewski, etc.). My question is/was, "wasn't all of those fighters within 8 lbs of B-Hop?

Roy didn't avoid them per se, but he was just as unwilling to fight them in the UK as they were to fight him in the US when they were all competing together. However, Roy would've beaten all those guys and they were all a bit past it so he wouldn't have gotten his props. One thing I'll say about Roy's derided competition is that he fought in a time where nobody was really around to challenge him, much like Sergio Martinez or Yuriorkis Gamboa when he moves up to 130.

Hopkins did the right thing by staying down at 160, I don't think he would have beaten the younger versions of Toney or Jones back in the day. He waited at 160 because Brother Naz told Hopkins that De La Hoya and Trinidad would eventually have to make their way up to him with how much weight they were cutting down to make 147, and that's exactly what happened. Hopkins fights Jones in 2001 when they were exploring that, Jones would've handled him in a boring fight. Now that I think of it, maybe I should do a "What If" post and give my creative writing skills some exercise. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the questions! Keep them coming guys.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 6 2011, 09:55 PM) *
Roy didn't avoid them per se, but he was just as unwilling to fight them in the UK as they were to fight him in the US when they were all competing together. However, Roy would've beaten all those guys and they were all a bit past it so he wouldn't have gotten his props. One thing I'll say about Roy's derided competition is that he fought in a time where nobody was really around to challenge him, much like Sergio Martinez or Yuriorkis Gamboa when he moves up to 130.

Hopkins did the right thing by staying down at 160, I don't think he would have beaten the younger versions of Toney or Jones back in the day. He waited at 160 because Brother Naz told Hopkins that De La Hoya and Trinidad would eventually have to make their way up to him with how much weight they were cutting down to make 147, and that's exactly what happened. Hopkins fights Jones in 2001 when they were exploring that, Jones would've handled him in a boring fight. Now that I think of it, maybe I should do a "What If" post and give my creative writing skills some exercise. Thanks for the idea.

Danny...what do you think of this? If you would, bring Ben in on this. I"m interested in his perspective as well. I got this from Stephen "Bread" Edwards Mailbag over on Btalk:

Manny has had about five fights since the (Money Team) has accused him of using, he doesn't need Floyd or anybody else to prove he's not, if I was handling Manny I would just have USADA do the testing for one or maybe two of my fights and show the fans, Mayweather is running scared so easy to do.

If I went and got a job making 10M a year and got the job without taking blood but got it taking a urine sample, some big boss comes along and changes the policy and the new drug test are blood test, how many people quit the job cause they feel offended? you have to take a drug test to work @ WalMart in this country. every fighter in boxing will take the drug test to get a chance to knock that kid's head off except Manny wierd. I love your stuff, some of the best stuff around but I think you are being stubborn on this matter. How would floyd know asking for a drug test would stop the fight? You can't answer that question, Oh he's in Manny's head. Right! Not buying, like I said Manny's doesn't have to give in to Floyd demand he could prove he's clean with another fighter. Rules change when big fights happen all the time take the test Manny, like the demands that Floyd gave in to Manny with(10M per) who in they right mind would come up with some crazy shit like 10M per? I just think you go real soft on pac with this. If I own a company and ask someone to take a blood test and he freaks out he won't get the job and yes I would believe he on drugs so, I understand why floyd won't move off this demand.

Seems like Manny or Manny's people is avoiding Floyd and not Floyd avoidind him, it's nothing to take the test, Mayweather will take the take the test too, how is Floyd in any form wrong? If you always hiding from the police it's obvious you are a crook Right?

H from the CHI
Breadís Response: Ok H, you asked for this bro. My record as far as defending the ďTRUTHĒ is like 65-0 with 58 kos. I wasnít going to post your comment because frankly Iím tired of the Manny/Floyd bs. But I feel challenged on this fine Saturday morning, so you are going to get what you asked for.

First off your analogy is flawed. Iím in agreement that I wouldnít quit my job making 10 mill a year, if the new boss implemented blood test instead of urine test. But if the new boss went around telling people Iím on drugs because I perform my work better and faster than everybody else, therefore Iím a cheat. And if I had other job options to make 10 mill, I would tell him to go screw himself.

You see I am going to break every comment you made down to the Tee. Next you claim every fighter in the world would take the test to knock this kidís head off. Manny is the only active fighter that can generate the money Floyd can. He is the only other PPV star that is guaranteed to do over 1 million PPV buys everytime he fights. He is the only other fighter that is considered a worldwide icon. He is the only one that is equal to Floyd in star power. Do you notice that Floyd takes about 80% of the guaranteed pot, against his opponents? Against Manny they would pretty much split everything. I wonít argue over a % point here or there. Do you really think Oscar De La Hoya would submit to these test? Manny has leverage that no one else currently has. What other fighter can make 25 million not fighting Floyd? So that kills that statement. Manny is not everybody else.

Here is where Iím going to shake you up. I was a Mayweather fan before I knew who Manny PAcquiao was. I wish Floyd was more in the right, but heís not. You asked how would Floyd know Manny would refuse blood test? You are just ignorant to the all of the details. I donít mean that as an insult, but you clearly donít know or failed to mention pertinent events that occurred.
First off about 7 years ago Shelly Finkel went to the NSAC and tried to get an eye exam waived when he was managing Manny. Manny found the exam too intrusive, allegedly they really wanted to go into his eye and he didnít feel comfortable getting it done. This happened way before anybody accused him of being a drug user. Floyd Mayweather also bet BIG money on Manny PAcquiao to beat Erik Morales in their 2nd fight. Now we can both agree Floyd is a student of the game. Why would Floyd bet on a guy who just loss to the fighter he was rematching. Well Manny had 2 excuses. One was he wore WINNING gloves and they felt like pillows. Look at the 1st fight and you will see this. Two he had to give blood before the fight and it weakened him. He didnít fail anything and it was a test he didnít know was coming, it just weakened him. So he goes out the next fight and destroys Morales and Floyd is seen in the audience jumping up and down. Fact. So just maybe he knew. Food for thought or am I still being stubborn.

Next you bring up all of these things Floyd agreed to. Letís break that down. Floyd agreed to 10mill/lb penalty. Thatís true, but you guys fail to bring up two major things that brought that on. First off Floyd had just duped Juan Manuel Marquez. That gets so overlooked by all of these ass kissing writers and blindly loyal fans. He signed a contract to come in at 144lbs. He came in at 146. Guys like Jose Luis Castillo and Joan Guzman get called unprofessional for that. Two pounds is way too much to come over for a fight. I was at this weigh in. Floyd didnít even attempt to sweat the pounds off. He owns a gym in Vegas for goodness sake. He just laughed it off and paid Marquez 300k/lb.

What was Marquez to do, not fight? I donít think so. Floyd knew that and thatís why he did what he did. This just gets dismissed as Floyd would have beaten Marquez anyway. So what! Thatís not the point. Contracts are contracts. Also you failed to mention that Floyd wanted his fight against PAcquiao to be at 154lbs. Yes junior middleweight. Team Mayweather outsmarted Team Pacquiao. They gave the impression they were struggling to make 147 which was not true. So therefore Team Pacquiao did not want to risk Floyd coming into the fight ďheavyĒ. They had good cause to believe that considering what he did to Marquez and what the negotiations were. So they asked for 10 mill/Lb penalty. Let me ask you considering Floyd paid Marquez 300k/lb what amount is reasonable. In my opinion it has to be something that Floyd wonít laugh at and just pay.

For the record Manny agreed to the drug testing. Just not up until the day of the fight. Funny thing is USADA stops taking blood over two weeks out before the May/Mosley fight and we donít have any details of the May/Ortiz fight. My fighter gave blood for commission testing then he sparred and looked like complete shit. Maybe it was a coincidence but I wonít let him do it again. A week cut off and a test right after the fight to insure no one was on anything in the ring is a fair compromise. By the way Floyd was flipping out at the negotiations over a 14 day cut off. Manny ups it 7 days in later negotiations and thatís still not good enough.

Two unbias independent parties have taken Mannyís side in this situation. Keith Kizer the head of the NSAC and Ross Greenburg the ex honcho at HBO. Greenburg was quoted saying, he doesnít understand why Mayweather didnít make the fight during the denied negotiations. This is coming from a man who headed HBO, letís remember Arum took some big fights to Showtime. Keith Kizer has been quoted saying he is not going to change the rules to single out and target ONE fighter. He also said that Mayweather has not petitioned the commission for blood testing.

Now Arum has said openly that if the commission implements blood testing then they will abide. Floyd could conceivably box Manny in with that statement. He would have a great case. Mayweather has privy to the most powerful lawyers in sports. Why wouldnít he petition the commission? I say because he was not ready to fight that little animal from the Phillipines.

Floyd was very kind to Oscar De La Hoya before their fight was signed. He said all of the right things because he really wanted the fight. So we know, he knows how to act to get a fight. Now with Manny he makes Asian jokes, he pretty much tells everybody that Manny is a cheater, he goes on internet rants, he takes off for years at a time and he denies negotiations. This to me tells me that this man does not want to fight.

Here is an analogy. Boxing is in large part mental. If Floyd is not comfortable fighting a PED freak why should Manny help him relieve his trepidations? It would be smart to let Floyd keep believing that. Maybe Floyd will start slower because heís afraid of this so called incredible stamina. Maybe he wonít engage because of this so called incredible power. Whatever the case maybe if I were Manny I wouldnít help him be more comfortable fighting me. Only an idiot or fighter with no leverage would do that.

Andre Ward and Carl Froch both want blood testing. That doesnít seem to be something that will happen for their fight. But the fight is still getting made. I think Manny agreeing to a 7 day cut off and blood testing immediately after the fight is more than enough. I hope you let all of your friends read my response. Donít twist my words, just research everything I said and come to a fair conclusion. My conclusion is Floyd Mayweather is not comfortable fighting Manny Pacquiao and this blood testing is just an excuse to buy time and thatís exactly what he did, bought 3 years
Maxy
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 6 2011, 10:55 PM) *

Hopkins did the right thing by staying down at 160, I don't think he would have beaten the younger versions of Toney or Jones back in the day. He waited at 160 because Bs rother Naz told Hopkins that De La Hoya and Trinidad would eventually have to make their way up to him with how much weight they were cutting down to make 147, and that's exactly what happened. Hopkins fights Jones in 2001 when they were exploring that, Jones would've handled him in a boring fight. Now that I think of it, maybe I should do a "What If" post and give my creative writing skills some exercise. Thanks for the idea.

Sorry but Nigel Benn wanted Roy Jones, would NEVER turn down a Jones fight. I was a huge Jones fan but he lacked the balls to travel abroad, using the Olympics as his pathetic excuse.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 9 2011, 03:38 PM) *
Sorry but Nigel Benn wanted Roy Jones, would NEVER turn down a Jones fight. I was a huge Jones fan but he lacked the balls to travel abroad, using the Olympics as his pathetic excuse.

i could see why he would want Jones in the UK, the ref saved his ass against MCclellan.
Maxy
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 9 2011, 03:34 PM) *
i could see why he would want Jones in the UK, the ref saved his ass against MCclellan.

Well that's the way it was. Benn ended up winning one of the most brutal fights in modern boxing history.

Regarding Jones, Benn was always respectful about him as a fighter and he genuinely knew Jones would be the toughest fight he could ever have. Don King fucked up the chances of that fight ever happening. I missed out as a fan. As did you. And everybody else.

Don King is also responsible for the plight of Gerald McClellan today.

Jones is quite happy to travel the world these days ain't he? Shame he never wanted to do it back then cos I will tell you this much, a Benn-Jones fight anywhere in England would've been bigger than it ever could have been in the US. Benn was also happy to travel....but then, as Brits it ain't something we're afraid of.
Spyder
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 10 2011, 02:18 PM) *
Well that's the way it was. Benn ended up winning one of the most brutal fights in modern boxing history.

Regarding Jones, Benn was always respectful about him as a fighter and he genuinely knew Jones would be the toughest fight he could ever have. Don King fucked up the chances of that fight ever happening. I missed out as a fan. As did you. And everybody else.

Jones is quite happy to travel the world these days ain't he? Shame he never wanted to do it back then cos I will tell you this much, a Benn-Jones fight anywhere in England would've been bigger than it ever could have been in the US. Benn was also happy to travel....but then, as Brits it ain't something we're afraid of.

You Euro boys like to keep travel limited to within the Union. I can't say I blame you guys. It's a lot safer over there.

Maxy
I think you take truths as if I'm dishing out insults, Spyder.

Spyder
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 10 2011, 02:44 PM) *
I think you take truths as if I'm dishing out insults, Spyder.

Same here, Maxy.
johnnyblaze
Hey Danny,

When are you guys going to re-name the site FloydHype?

Thanks!
Cshel86
QUOTE (johnnyblaze @ Oct 10 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Hey Danny,

When are you guys going to re-name the site FloydHype?

Thanks!

It just had to be one...
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 10 2011, 02:18 PM) *

i'm not taking anything away from Benn, i like the guy. the ref for their fight was terrible though and it showed a pretty clear bias for Benn. if you got robbed of a gold medal in the Olympics would you really want to test your luck again? if i was Jones i wouldn't have went to the UK for Benn unless he guaranteed a huge venue and a very favorable split of the UK money.

Jones had a lot more sense then than he does now. he's still fighting isn't he? that shows you how crazy he's.
dhoward126
To Maxy,

It was more of a generalization, but Roy made sure that he kept fighting in the US considering the predicament during the Olympics. If i'm not mistaken, that interview took place before the Chris Eubanks fight and Eubanks said he wanted nothing to do with Roy.

To johnnyblaze,

Thank you for your patronage to FightHype! If you want more Manny Pacquiao suck-job stories, please feel free to head to the Examiner or ESPN.

Thanks for the questions guys.
Cshel86
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 10 2011, 08:25 PM) *
To Maxy,

It was more of a generalization, but Roy made sure that he kept fighting in the US considering the predicament during the Olympics. If i'm not mistaken, that interview took place before the Chris Eubanks fight and Eubanks said he wanted nothing to do with Roy.

To johnnyblaze,

Thank you for your patronage to FightHype! If you want more Manny Pacquiao suck-job stories, please feel free to head to the Examiner or ESPN.

Thanks for the questions guys.

drinks.gif Well said...
Maxy
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 10 2011, 07:25 PM) *
To Maxy,

Roy used the Olympics as his excuse for never wanting to fight abroad. Hindsight proved that.

The interview with Benn was a long, long time after both Eubank fights.
duwdu
Hi Danny;

Q1: As far as I care to distinguish, three entities are directly related in boxing other than the fighters themselves: their trainers/coaches, managers, and promoters.

Even with the relatively little in-depth knowledge that I have regarding how the business is run, I can draw a clear line as to what the trainer does, biggrin.gif . However, it's not been really clear to me where to draw a line between what managers do and what promoters do, or whether in fact there should be a line at all in some instances. Even my forage through Wikipedia on this subject has not helped me much. How do you help me understand the distinction between these two entities, as well as any compelling stories surrounding them?

Q2: Unfortunately for me thus far, I've not had a good opportunity to be at ringside for a high profile professional boxing match, but I could soon, although I follow the sport every other ways. So it should not be a surprise that I do not know the answer to this: What are the official duties of the referee (or what things must he do) in between rounds? I mean, I know the referee could check on/further instruct fighters during those periods, but I figure there could be other official duties involved.

Hell, until HBO aired the May-Ortiz replay, I don't remember me being aware of the situation that a ringside official would, during a KD, initiate the count into which the referee could then cue as/if necessary.

TIA.

P34c3

dhoward126
QUOTE (duwdu @ Oct 11 2011, 12:41 PM) *
Hi Danny;

Q1: As far as I care to distinguish, three entities are directly related in boxing other than the fighters themselves: their trainers/coaches, managers, and promoters.

Even with the relatively little in-depth knowledge that I have regarding how the business is run, I can draw a clear line as to what the trainer does, biggrin.gif . However, it's not been really clear to me where to draw a line between what managers do and what promoters do, or whether in fact there should be a line at all in some instances. Even my forage through Wikipedia on this subject has not helped me much. How do you help me understand the distinction between these two entities, as well as any compelling stories surrounding them?

Q2: Unfortunately for me thus far, I've not had a good opportunity to be at ringside for a high profile professional boxing match, but I could soon, although I follow the sport every other ways. So it should not be a surprise that I do not know the answer to this: What are the official duties of the referee (or what things must he do) in between rounds? I mean, I know the referee could check on/further instruct fighters during those periods, but I figure there could be other official duties involved.

Hell, until HBO aired the May-Ortiz replay, I don't remember me being aware of the situation that a ringside official would, during a KD, initiate the count into which the referee could then cue as/if necessary.

TIA.

P34c3

I don't have the EXACT answers to these, but I'll give you my take.

The promoter is the head-honcho, he's the guy that's calling all the shots as far as who fights who, who gets paid etc. Vince McMahon in the WWE is the perfect example of a promoter, he looks at everything the matchmakers come up with, determines who he is going to sign or fire etc and what path should be taken to further his business. Managers are the inbetweeners between fighters and promoters, remember that outside of a very small percentage, fighters for the most part are pretty clueless when it comes to any kind of procedural tasks like contracts and stuff like that. Managers take the offers, weigh them and present it to the fighter with his/her opinion, kind of like an advisor.

Again I am not presenting this as fact, just my take on how to understand some of the ins and outs.

As far as the ref in-between rounds, probably just lets judges know again if a cut was caused by a punch or headbutt and just chills for a minute.

Thanks for the questions my man!
duwdu
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Oct 11 2011, 01:13 PM) *
I don't have the EXACT answers to these, but I'll give you my take.

The promoter is the head-honcho, he's the guy that's calling all the shots as far as who fights who, who gets paid etc. Vince McMahon in the WWE is the perfect example of a promoter, he looks at everything the matchmakers come up with, determines who he is going to sign or fire etc and what path should be taken to further his business. Managers are the inbetweeners between fighters and promoters, remember that outside of a very small percentage, fighters for the most part are pretty clueless when it comes to any kind of procedural tasks like contracts and stuff like that. Managers take the offers, weigh them and present it to the fighter with his/her opinion, kind of like an advisor.

Again I am not presenting this as fact, just my take on how to understand some of the ins and outs.

As far as the ref in-between rounds, probably just lets judges know again if a cut was caused by a punch or headbutt and just chills for a minute.

Thanks for the questions my man!

This is quite helpful Danny, thanks.

P34c3
gravytrain
do you know Alex Ariza's credentials? he said some suspicious things in the article on the front page, it makes me wonder if someone in the industry just knew him and recommended him to Pac or if he's real experience in S&C.
duwdu
What gravy asked and said.

Ben is a smart interviewer IMO.

P34c3
dhoward126
Alex Ariza has worked with Diego Corrales (Before the PBF fight) and then he worked with Erik Morales for a brief moment, but was fired by Morales amidst complaints of liver pains. Graduated from SDSU with a nutritional science degree and may or may not have been linked to BALCO. Nice guy to talk to though!

Just so you all know, I will be launching my own podcast on Talkshoe and hope you guys give it a listen. I'll provide a link when I have the episode recorded this Monday. Don't know if we'll have it featured on the site, have to talk to Ben, but check it out on Monday!

Thanks again for the questions!
bnoles4life
Danny,

In your honest opinion, in regard to the Pac finances, why is seemingly (actually, NOT seemingly....IS) Fighthype the only entity breaking this stuff? Don't get me wrong, I take ZERO pleasure in a fighter's alleged financial woes, but in the spirit of being fair, ESPN, Maxboxing and boxinqtalk (<----G. Leon was catching some SERIOUS feelings on Floyd's finances) KILLED Floyd w/ that reporting.

Personally, I don't think it's news that we, as fan should be getting into, regardless of whether or not it's public record.

I understand they're giving Pac a pass, b/c he's the Anti-Floyd, but isn't there some journalistic integrity (or something like that) that should "kick in" here at some point?
dhoward126
Wooo, been a while but let's get churning again. Bring them in and bring em on.
Cshel86
How long does the After Dark portion of FightHype radio usually last? Does it end when all of the holding callers have been answered? C'mon Danny! Where the hell are you man? laugh.gif This is your thread! Dont let it die! Its like talking to the roach of a joint and hoping it doesn't suddenly burn out! Dont die on meeeee!

laugh.gif
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 11:09 PM) *
How long does the After Dark portion of FightHype radio usually last? Does it end when all of the holding callers have been answered? C'mon Danny! Where the hell are you man? laugh.gif This is your thread! Dont let it die! Its like talking to the roach of a joint and hoping it doesn't suddenly burn out! Dont die on meeeee!

laugh.gif

LMAO!!!!!!
Cshel86
Had to bump this!
dhoward126
Several apologies for the delay. I've got to activate e-mail notification for this thread. After Dark segments have lasted almost 45 minutes after the show goes off the air, it's more of whether or not Ben, Vivek and myself have anything to go over or how many calls we have left to do. One thing I'll say is that I'll be working on my own podcast a la Heavy Hitting on ESPN that'll be coming to the forums soon. Check it out!
Cshel86
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Dec 1 2011, 10:41 PM) *
Several apologies for the delay. I've got to activate e-mail notification for this thread. After Dark segments have lasted almost 45 minutes after the show goes off the air, it's more of whether or not Ben, Vivek and myself have anything to go over or how many calls we have left to do. One thing I'll say is that I'll be working on my own podcast a la Heavy Hitting on ESPN that'll be coming to the forums soon. Check it out!

'Preciate that! I'll be sure to check yall out next week, as usual. I saw you on the board, and thought, "damn I need to call into the show", but I forgot today was Thursday laugh.gif Man I have an alarm set on my phone for the radio show every week. Look out for that 678 again next week! Thanks!
daprofessor
what the hell is up with pirog!? that dude put on a spectacular performance and needs to be back on tv in the u.s. i love his style.
dhoward126
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 2 2011, 02:52 PM) *
what the hell is up with pirog!? that dude put on a spectacular performance and needs to be back on tv in the u.s. i love his style.

Pirog has awful management, which is why he's fought off of American TV after his KO of Haymon hype job Danny Jacobs. From what I've gathered, he has been talking with Daniel Geale for a unification fight in Australia, but that fight was proposed for January and there hasn't been any news since then so I'm thinking it's up in the air. Martinez's team see him as a risk due to his punching power but have the perfect alibi citing his lack of network credibility. That's okay though, if you like Pirog's style then you should check out Gennady Golovkin who I think is one of boxing's best kept secrets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.