Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did Calzaghe end up being the underdog against Lacy
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pesticid
I mean in no other fight was he the underdog, just in the Lacy fight. I would've thought Kessler or Bhop would've been the favourites, yet they weren't and Lacy was. Did everybody here think that Lacy would run him over too?
Big Slim Sweet
I know I sure thought so.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I thought Lacy was going to stop him in two. There was so much hype around Lacy, he was supposed to be a big thing. They really wanted a Jermain Taylor-Jeff Lacy super fight down the road, and that fight happened, but obviously without the super fight label. It's kind of funny, but the signs of a one-sided fight with Calzaghe were on the wall. I mean, Lacy struggled with Syd Vanderpool and Donnell Wiggins. He was down on the cards in those fights (at least on one or two cards) and he came back to stop those opponents. Calzaghe fought a brilliant fight that night. He kept stepping to the side, giving Jeff angles, and he couldn't handle that. He kept trying to put pressure on, but Calzaghe caught him coming on all night and made him pay. Lacy showed a ton of heart coming forward all night, but the corner really should have stopped that fight. Lacy was exposed as a one dimensional fighter, and his career was never the same.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Oct 6 2011, 12:02 AM) *
I thought Lacy was going to stop him in two. There was so much hype around Lacy, he was supposed to be a big thing. They really wanted a Jermain Taylor-Jeff Lacy super fight down the road, and that fight happened, but obviously without the super fight label. It's kind of funny, but the signs of a one-sided fight with Calzaghe were on the wall. I mean, Lacy struggled with Syd Vanderpool and Donnell Wiggins. He was down on the cards in those fights (at least on one or two cards) and he came back to stop those opponents. Calzaghe fought a brilliant fight that night. He kept stepping to the side, giving Jeff angles, and he couldn't handle that. He kept trying to put pressure on, but Calzaghe caught him coming on all night and made him pay. Lacy showed a ton of heart coming forward all night, but the corner really should have stopped that fight. Lacy was exposed as a one dimensional fighter, and his career was never the same.

suprised more ppl didnt see it this way...

i figured a KO was coming....
Maxy
From what I remember it seems to me that no American rated Calzaghe and they were jumping all over Lacy's nuts like he was some kinda machine.

Probably the same fans who figured Michael Grant was something special too.....
Mean Mister Mustard
Don't forget that Lacy had also struggled with Omar Sheika. I knew Lacy was not all that, and yet I still thought that as overrated as he was, that Calzaghe was even more of an overrated fighter, but he proved everyone wrong.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 6 2011, 12:37 PM) *
From what I remember it seems to me that no American rated Calzaghe and they were jumping all over Lacy's nuts like he was some kinda machine.

Probably the same fans who figured Michael Grant was something special too.....

unfortunately American fans are like that sometimes... you could ask who would win between Mosley and Martinez at 170 (doesnt make sense, i kno) and they'll say Mosley juss because the name sounds familiar.... lol.

sad, but true.
Spyder
Lacy always struggled with guys that could move...even Richard Grant at the Playboy Mansion.

That was the knock on him since he was an amateur.
Lil-lightsout
I can honestly say at first I was a huge Lacy fan and saw big things for him. Unfortunately for him he just never improved, he was basically the same fighter his whole short career.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
It's easy to answer the question posed in this thread. American fight fans over estimated the abilities of Yankee Jeff Lacy and underestimated the abilities of the Welsh wizard Calzaghe.

How anyone could underestimate Joe especially when he had HOF trainer Gonzo Slapzaghe in his corner is beyond me.

pesticid
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 8 2011, 12:19 AM) *
It's easy to answer the question posed in this thread. American fight fans over estimated the abilities of Yankee Jeff Lacy and underestimated the abilities of the Welsh wizard Calzaghe.

How anyone could underestimate Joe especially when he had HOF trainer Gonzo Slapzaghe in his corner is beyond me.

So true, he won against Nazim Richardson, Freddi Roach, and Jonhn David jackson in one fight. Now, who said that trainers are not overrated? lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.