Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighters and there single best performance
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Lil-lightsout
Floyd Mayweather- His fight against Corrales was a perfect display of everything.

Roy Jones- His fight against Toney was ridiculous. No one would have touched him that night.

Pernell Whitaker- Dominated Jose Luis Ramirez in the rematch. Was an offensive machine for 12 rounds.

Lennox Lewis- His destruction of Razor Ruddock was scary.

Bernard Hopkins- His easy dismantling of Trinidad surprised many, not me though. His shining moment.

Gabriel Ruelas- Beating Jesse James Leija made many believe he was going to be a future great.

James Toney- He KO'd Tim Littles with a nasty cut that was ready to have the fight stopped.

Joe Calzaghe- He ruined Jeff Lacy.

Manny Pac- This is a tough one, but his beating of MAB was pretty impressive.

Felix Trinidad- KO'n Blocker in 2 to win the belt was vicious.

Shane Mosley- Beating Margarito silly all fight and then almost decapitated him was very joyful to watch.

So these are just some guys I am thinking of off the top of my head. Anyone agree or have others?
nyjyant1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 7 2011, 09:15 PM) *
Floyd Mayweather- His fight against Corrales was a perfect display of everything.

Roy Jones- His fight against Toney was ridiculous. No one would have touched him that night.

Pernell Whitaker- Dominated Jose Luis Ramirez in the rematch. Was an offensive machine for 12 rounds.

Bernard Hopkins- His easy dismantling of Trinidad surprised many, not me though. His shining moment.

Gabriel Ruelas- Beating Jesse James Leija made many believe he was going to be a future great.

James Toney- He KO'd Tim Littles with a nasty cut that was ready to have the fight stopped.

Shane Mosley- Beating Margarito silly all fight and then almost decapitated him was very joyful to watch.

So these are just some guys I am thinking of off the top of my head. Anyone agree or have others?

imma have to go with floyd vs gatti, shit was cra!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (nyjyant1 @ Oct 7 2011, 10:27 PM) *

That fight was impressive also, but I said Corrales cause he was a better fighter at the time and was a beast with crazy KO power. Gatti at the time he fought Floyd saw better days.
Cshel86
I would have to go with Mayweather/Corrales and Hopkins/Trinidad! That was Floyd's true breakout performance against a dangerous undefeated fighter (though Corrales's team made a fuss about the weight issue), I enjoyed Hopkins rip Tito apart because I was never a big Trinidad fan...I always thought he was a dirty fighter when he got hurt.
leonthegee
Floyd vs NDou.
King Eugene
laugh.gif at Trinidad being a dirty fighter. Its a fight...fuck it!

I'd have to agree Floyd's best performance was against Diego was a damn good one.

I liked Roy's performance over Hall. It was so damn dominating and I also enjoyed his performance over Ruiz.

JMM performance against Diaz is one of my all time favorites. Marquez wasn't the same fighter he was in the early 2000's but his skills is what alowed him to prevail after the early storm.
BoxingStill#1

Good fight.. but Corralas was undefeated and in his absolute prime.

Imo.. someones best performance isn't always their biggest shut out..

For example, I think Calzaghe best perfomance was against B-HOP.., he survived early and outworked him that night..

Other than that I pretty much like your list lightsout
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 7 2011, 08:15 PM) *

Lights out type of Topic! Might be my fav post yet!! Good Shyt LL..

As I was waiting for the page to load after cliccing the Thread(I do this from the cell half the time) I literally thought of half of the same fights too. I did think Floyd vs Gatti but I deff agree with the Corrales fight, especially the melt down at the end! He was tripping hard on his Dad....

Again ima keep it short for now. This touch screen Shyt is killing me.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Oct 7 2011, 10:54 PM) *
Good fight.. but Corralas was undefeated and in his absolute prime.

Imo.. someones best performance isn't always their biggest shut out..

For example, I think Calzaghe best perfomance was against B-HOP.., he survived early and outworked him that night..

Other than that I pretty much like your list lightsout

+1
BoxingEinstein

Jorge Arce vs WV2- Jorge looked sensational in the final round after being dropped in the earlier rounds. He was facing a younger, stronger, and faster opponent who was also undefeated and Arce pulls one outta the hat by KO'ing this guy in the last round in the last couple of minutes after he was behind on official scorecards.
King Eugene
Calzaghe absolutely ruined Lacy tho...
Cshel86
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 7 2011, 11:49 PM) *
laugh.gif at Trinidad being a dirty fighter. Its a fight...fuck it!

I'd have to agree Floyd's best performance was against Diego was a damn good one.

I liked Roy's performance over Hall. It was so damn dominating and I also enjoyed his performance over Ruiz.

JMM performance against Diaz is one of my all time favorites. Marquez wasn't the same fighter he was in the early 2000's but his skills is what alowed him to prevail after the early storm.

Lol, Im serious! Anytime dude was hurt or getting outgunned...his punches always seems to locate his opponent's groin area...it never failed. I dont remember it in the Wright fight, and he was treading water in the RJJ fight.
King Eugene
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:50 AM) *
Lol, Im serious! Anytime dude was hurt or getting outgunned...his punches always seems to locate his opponent's groin area...it never failed. I dont remember it in the Wright fight, and he was treading water in the RJJ fight.

Hell Cotto is the same way. The only time he didn't do it was against Manny and thats because Manny was darting that ass from so many different angles Cotto couldn't square off on the balls. laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Oct 8 2011, 12:58 AM) *
Hell Cotto is the same way. The only time he didn't do it was against Manny and thats because Manny was darting that ass from so many different angles Cotto couldn't square off on the balls. laugh.gif

Yeah you do have a point, because Cotto was famous for that shit. He gave Judah all he could handle, but yet, Judah may have been getting karma from all the foul shit he did in the past. Lol!
Maxy
Julio Cesar Chavez' sustained torturing of Edwin Rosario. At the time there were many who questioned whether Chavez (who was moving up from 130) could live with the hard hitting lightweight champ. Rosario had said he would send Chavez back to Mexico in a coffin and there was quite a bit of bad blood between the two.

Chavez destroyed with a brutal performance eventually winning by 11th round TKO. HBO Punchstat showed Rosario landing 263 of 731 punches thrown in the fight (36%) and Chavez 450 of 743 (61%).
JibbaJabber
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 7 2011, 09:15 PM) *

JACK JOHNSON VS JIM JEFFRIES- MAYWEATHER PACROID A HUNDRED YEARS AGO

FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS ARTURO GATTI- JUST A BEAT DOWN SMH

FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS JMM- 2 YEAR LAYOFF EASY WORK AGAINST THEY GUY MANY SAY BEAT PACROID TWICE

ALI VS ERNIE TERELL- TOLD HIM WHAT HE WAS GOING TO DO AND DID IT.. DON'T DISRESPECT. NOBODY FORGOT HIS NAME AFTER THAT

TYSON VS HOLMES- PURE DESTRUCTION.. HEARD HIS TOUNGE WAS STUCK BETWEEN HIS TEETH LOL

TYSON VS SPINKS- PURE DESTRUCTION- A MINUTE IN A HALF.. SMH

BHOP VS DE LA HOYA- ONLY PERSON TO KO HOYA.. AND WITH A BODY SHOT AT THAT

BUSTER DOUGLAS VS TYSON- EVERYBODY KNOWS THE STORY ABOUT THIS

HEARNS VS DURAN- THAT PUNCH WAS A BEAST AND STILL IS

FLOYD VS MOSLEY- TO BE HONEST ALOT OF PEOPLE THOUGHT HE WOULD BE HARDER COMPETITION THAN PACROID.. FLOYD WAS HURT BADLY TWICE.. PULLED THROUGH TO DOMINATE THE REST OF THE FIGHT..

MAYWEATHER VS HERNANDEZ- BEAT A GUY WHO WAS RULINGTHE DIVISION FOR 10 YEARS IN HIS 18TH PRO FIGHT FOR HIS FIRST TITLE..

I HAVE MORE BUT I WILL STOP NOW

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JibbaJabber @ Oct 8 2011, 09:59 PM) *

FLOYD MAYWEATHER VS JMM- 2 YEAR LAYOFF EASY WORK AGAINST THEY GUY MANY SAY BEAT PACROID TWICE

ALI VS ERNIE TERELL- TOLD HIM WHAT HE WAS GOING TO DO AND DID IT.. DON'T DISRESPECT. NOBODY FORGOT HIS NAME AFTER THAT

TYSON VS HOLMES- PURE DESTRUCTION.. HEARD HIS TOUNGE WAS STUCK BETWEEN HIS TEETH LOL

FLOYD VS MOSLEY- TO BE HONEST ALOT OF PEOPLE THOUGHT HE WOULD BE HARDER COMPETITION THAN PACROID.. FLOYD WAS HURT BADLY TWICE.. PULLED THROUGH TO DOMINATE THE REST OF THE FIGHT..

MAYWEATHER VS HERNANDEZ- BEAT A GUY WHO WAS RULINGTHE DIVISION FOR 10 YEARS IN HIS 18TH PRO FIGHT FOR HIS FIRST TITLE..

Please do.
bnoles4life
Sweet Pea vs. JCC----That was a excellent display of the sweet science. I had a hard time giving a Chavez a round, let alone enough to get a "draw". I love Don King's response, when driving by the Hemisphere in S.A (where the fight took place), "It's a shame what they did to Chavez in that place. Robbed him of a victory." <-----WTF??? Maybe Don's hair was in the way throughout the entire match?

I agree, Floyd vs. Corrales--Again, did Chico win even a MINUTE of that fight?

Shane vs. Shannon Taylor.....who the hell opens the round up w/ two lead hooks...AND LANDS? WOW.

Oscar (though I despise the dude) vs. Trinidad....for the first 6-7 rounds. Oscar boxed his ears off...then chose to run the Boston Marathon.

Yes, RJJ vs. Toney--Toney had ZERO answers. NONE.

Hell, why not? Michael Nunn vs. James Toney....Nunn boxed circles around James, until.......LOL!!!!!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JibbaJabber @ Oct 8 2011, 03:59 AM) *

Due you forgot a TON of fights.

FLOYD VS. ORTIZ

FLOYD VS. HATTON

FLOYD VS. BRUSSELES

FLOYD VS. MITCHELL

FLOYD VS. NDOU

FLOYD VS. SOSA

FLOYD VS. CHAVEZ

FLOYD VS. JUUKKO

There are many, many, many more but that's just off the top of my head.
Method

DLG/Gatti Part II.
E.C.LEGEND
Jones/Tarver I

Abraham/Miranda I

Taylor/Pavlik I
Mean Mister Mustard
Marco Antonio Barrera-Naseem Hamed. Outboxing the undefeated power punching sensation was his best performance.

Erik Morales-Paulie Ayala. In what would become the norm, Erik Morales was considered shot. Then he met the 122 pound champion and used sharp counter punching, along with some nice upper body movement to out box and out power Ayala.

Cshel86
Alexander/Urango: His best performance yet for Alexander! Everything else after that stunk...

Vargas/Trinidad: Vargas weathered the storm in the first round, and made a fight out of it. Though Tito was the better fighter (skill-wise), Vargas made his mark and let everybody know that he was there to fight.

A. Peterson/Rios: This was Rios's breakout performance, and he had an answer for everything Peterson brought to the fight.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:12 AM) *
Lights out type of Topic! Might be my fav post yet!! Good Shyt LL..

Thanks!

QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 8 2011, 02:59 AM) *
Julio Cesar Chavez' sustained torturing of Edwin Rosario. At the time there were many who questioned whether Chavez (who was moving up from 130) could live with the hard hitting lightweight champ. Rosario had said he would send Chavez back to Mexico in a coffin and there was quite a bit of bad blood between the two.

Chavez destroyed with a brutal performance eventually winning by 11th round TKO. HBO Punchstat showed Rosario landing 263 of 731 punches thrown in the fight (36%) and Chavez 450 of 743 (61%).

Great Example!

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 8 2011, 05:51 AM) *
Please do.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 8 2011, 10:28 AM) *
Due you forgot a TON of fights.

FLOYD VS. ORTIZ

FLOYD VS. HATTON

FLOYD VS. BRUSSELES

FLOYD VS. MITCHELL

FLOYD VS. NDOU

FLOYD VS. SOSA

FLOYD VS. CHAVEZ

FLOYD VS. JUUKKO

There are many, many, many more but that's just off the top of my head.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 8 2011, 06:24 PM) *
Marco Antonio Barrera-Naseem Hamed. Outboxing the undefeated power punching sensation was his best performance.

Erik Morales-Paulie Ayala. In what would become the norm, Erik Morales was considered shot. Then he met the 122 pound champion and used sharp counter punching, along with some nice upper body movement to out box and out power Ayala.

Good ones. I thought of this one for Barrera too.

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 8 2011, 06:58 PM) *
Alexander/Urango: His best performance yet for Alexander! Everything else after that stunk...

Vargas/Trinidad: Vargas weathered the storm in the first round, and made a fight out of it. Though Tito was the better fighter (skill-wise), Vargas made his mark and let everybody know that he was there to fight.

A. Peterson/Rios: This was Rios's breakout performance, and he had an answer for everything Peterson brought to the fight.

Agree with Alexander for sure. Agree with the Rios one too, he looked like a beast that night. Do not agree with the Vargas one though. Vargas did look good in spots, but he did get dropped a few times and knocked out brutally. Not his best performance. Hahaha. NOW I would say Vargas totally outboxing and dominating Ike Quartey was his best performance as a pro. Just my take.
Spyder
Mosley/DLH 1 - Even though I loved his fight with Margarito, I think his performance Prime vs Prime with Oscar was incredible.

Hatton/Tszyu - I know I won't make any friends with this one, but the Little Midget mugged a GREAT fighter of his title in front of a packed house.

Tyson/Spinks - The utter destruction of a top fighter in this fight might never be seen again.

Arce/Hussein 1 - I wouldn't be surprised if Arce was on PCP during this fight. He was out of his mind.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Oct 8 2011, 05:20 PM) *
Abraham/Miranda I

That's an odd one there. Who gave their single greatest performance?

QUOTE (Spyder @ Oct 8 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Tyson/Spinks - The utter destruction of a top fighter in this fight might never be seen again.

Good call. This one's almost the standard bearer for the modern era. As overrated as Tyson was, I doubt any of us will ever see another undefeated ATG like Spinks just straight run over like this again in our lifetimes.

I'd also like to nominate Roy Jones/Montell Griffin 2. People talk about Roy's fights with Toney and Hill and Hall but this one RJ came in angry. Staggered Griffin with the first shot of the fight, a lunging left hook, and then knocked. him. the fuck. out.
Lil-lightsout
James Toney vs. Jim Gray was also one of his finest performances in the ring. He did what many others have only dreamt of doing. Hahaha.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 9 2011, 12:06 AM) *

Good call. This one's almost the standard bearer for the modern era. As overrated as Tyson was, I doubt any of us will ever see another undefeated ATG like Spinks just straight run over like this again in our lifetimes.

I'd also like to nominate Roy Jones/Montell Griffin 2. People talk about Roy's fights with Toney and Hill and Hall but this one RJ came in angry. Staggered Griffin with the first shot of the fight, a lunging left hook, and then knocked. him. the fuck. out.

i was just about to throw the Jones vs Griffin rematch in. i think it beats all the rest out, Griffin wasn't too bad in the first fight and was a good fighter but Jones tore his ass up in the rematch. it makes you wonder what Jones career would have been like if he always came into the ring wanting to end it instead of just wanting to perform.
Hops
I can't consider fights with overmatched opponents the best.

I would say:

Floyd vs Castillo Floyd got beat.
Hatton vs Floyd Hatton really slept. You could probably put ads on his soles.
Pacquiao vs Nedal Cross-eyed pacman. It was funny.
DLH vs Hopkins Best acting.
etc.
Snoop
Martinez vs Williams 2 - two top prime middleweights going for the crown. PERFECT KO shot.
Hops
I've seen interviews with fighters and they were talking about their hardest fights. Fights that we thought were never really their hardest fights.

If we ask them which are their best performances in the ring... I think we're gonna hear different, too.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 8 2011, 11:06 PM) *

Abraham, He kept his strap with a broken jaw! That's something to tell your grand kids about. lol
blackbelt2003
Recent eye popping performances where the fighters won every second of every round and just looked incredible doing so:

Mayweather - Corrales

Pacman - David Diaz

Roy Jones - Reggie Johnson

Hops - Trinidad

Mosley - Margarito

De La Hoya - Mayorga

Toney - Holyfield

JM Marquez - Medina

Winky - Mosley I

Black
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.