Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martinez Wright???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Nay_Sayer
He still has a name and would put up a good fight. Winky has to be more marketable than the Darren Barkers of the world.

Thoughts?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Wright would be a good marketable opponent, but I just don't know how much he has left or if dude is even fighting anymore. I know he's putting in work with Chad Dawson as a consultant, but I doubt he's sparring with him since he's a southpaw. He hasn't had a fight for 2.5 years and I don't know how long that layoff is going to last. On top of that, Martinez's style is all wrong for Winky. Martinez is busy and doesn't stop throwing. Winky would just cover up all night like he did against Williams. Wright will land a few nice shots, but he wouldn't be able to hurt Martinez. Winky would lose every round. The Barker's of the world will put up a more competitive fight, but Winky will have the name sake to get Martinez a bit of recognition.
Hittman25
Winky Wright? Marketable? Hell naw the same amount of people that watched barker vs martinez would watch wright vs martinez. He isnt even relevant in any divsion. I would rather see matthew macklin and sergio fight. Nobody is marketable in the middleweight division. If Martinez wants to get his name out there he would have to move back down to 154. but if he doesnt do that why not just fight the people who call him out. Barker called sergio out and macklin is calling sergio out after the barker fight. Just fight who wants to fight you until Julio jr, canelo, cotto or margrito step up. But i really dont see martinez in a relevant fight unless its at 154.
King Eugene
I'd Gladly watch it. The logical outcome would be Martinez just outworks him but I'd like to see his strategy to break through Wrights defense.
thehype
Thoughts?

laugh.gif

WINKY WRIGHT: "SERGIO SHOULD CONSIDER ME IF HE WANTS TO ENHANCE HIS LEGACY"
By Ben Thompson | June 10, 2010

"Sergio should consider me if he wants to enhance his legacy. It would be great for his career. Pavlik was good for his career, but a win over Winky Wright, if he can get it, would be great for his career. It would stamp his induction into the Hall of Fame," stated former undisputed jr. middleweight champion and future Hall of Famer Winky Wright as he threw his name into the mix as a potential challenge for middleweight king Sergio Martinez. After being informed of FightHype's latest report about Paul Williams and Martinez not being interested in a rematch, despite the fact that HBO is trying to force them into one, Wright was eager to offer up his services for a potential high-profile bout.

"Every young fighter that comes up has to fight one of the great old ones in order to be considered something. Yeah, he can fight these young guys that out there now, but that ain't going to do nothing because they haven't achieved anything themselves," Wright commented when he was told of the other possibile names that promoter Lou DiBella was hoping to get HBO to agree to. "They just fighting just to win, but if you beat a guaranteed Hall of Famer, it just elevates your career to the next level," he continued.

Indeed, Wright brings up a good point, as guys like Vanes Martirosyan (28-0, 17 KOs), interim jr. middleweight champion Alfredo Angulo (18-1, 15 KOs) and WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm bring very little to the table as far as name-recognition is concerned. In fact, a win over any of those opponents would do little to enhance the legacy of Martinez, who's looking to capitalize off the biggest win of his career. In fact, an impressive win over Wright would say a lot about the career of Martinez, who not only is considered to be the middleweight king, but also holds a title at jr. middleweight, the same division that Wright once reigned supreme over.

"If they want to get the fight done, all they gotta do is call Richard Schaefer. It's real simple. Richard Schaefer will be more than happy to work things out with whoever it is it has to be worked out with in order to make that fight. And Cotto too," Wright added, making it clear that he's still more than willing to face the top names in both the middleweight and jr. middleweight division.

CHECK BACK FOR MUCH MORE FROM WINKY WRIGHT

WINKY WRIGHT: "MARTINEZ WILL BE 36...HOW IS HE NOT OLD IF I'M OLD?"
By Ben Thompson | January 24, 2011

"What's Sampson talking about old? Sergio Martinez will be 36 next month. I only got him by a couple years, so does that mean Martinez is old too? Last time I checked, I've never been knocked out and I've never been pulverized or beaten, so what's he talking about? How can I be too old? Now if he's just saying that he doesn't want his guy to fight me because he's worried about him losing, then just say that. Don't make no dumb ass excuse like I'm too old," stated an irritated Winky Wright, who contacted FightHype.com to respond to recent comments made by Sampson Lewkowicz, adviser of middleweight king Sergio Martinez. In a recent interview, Sampson referred to Wright as being "too old" when asked about potential future opponents in the middleweight division. Naturally, the 39-year-old Wright took offense to the suggestion that he was "too old" to compete against the 35-year-old Martinez.

"If you don't want your fighter to face me, just say you don't want him to face me, but don't say that I'm old when your guy is damn near the same age as me. Sergio ain't nothing but 3 years younger than me, so how is he not old if I'm old? Let him take a loss and then see what happens," he added. "When I beat Macklin, they'll come up with another excuse why they can't fight me." Wright is currently scheduled to make his return to the ring on April 9th against European middleweight champion Matthew Macklin, who Lewkowicz mentioned as a possible opponent provided that he gets past Wright.
Lil-lightsout
I do not know what to expect from Winky these days? Last I remember was him getting spanked by Paul Williams. He kind of fell off the radar. Damn I can not believe how many pro fighters that just don't fight and are so inactive. Don't they want to make money?
Hittman25
they get the love beat out of them...lose the hunger to fight run into trouble
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Hittman25 @ Oct 12 2011, 12:30 AM) *
they get the love beat out of them...lose the hunger to fight run into trouble

Not to mention all the politics and managerial problems we here about. I just wish fighters would fight more often.

Man I miss the days of top fighters just fighting journeyman in non-title fights to stay busy and entertain their fans, or at the least defending their title more than one or two times a year. Shit is frustrating.
JONdaCON817
i consider Winky retired... i havent heard shyt outta him for atleast 2 yrs... i think itd be a fight ide watch.. juss to see how Wright is doin... i guess itd appeal to the casual fan with a decent memory...
BlueMercury
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Oct 12 2011, 10:57 AM) *
i consider Winky retired... i havent heard shyt outta him for atleast 2 yrs... i think itd be a fight ide watch.. juss to see how Wright is doin... i guess itd appeal to the casual fan with a decent memory...

LOL I was thinking pretty much the same.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BlueMercury @ Oct 12 2011, 11:14 PM) *
LOL I was thinking pretty much the same.

Damn BlueMercury, I didn't even know you existed! Lol. I usually see you post videos (with no description in the intial post), then thats is. You're not BlueMercury, you're the Pink Panther! All action, no words! Just messin' with ya man!
checkleft
Idk where you've been but Winky has never been marketable.. a good fighter yes, marketable no. This fight would do nothing for serg at this point, Winky has been out about 2 yrs and last time he fought he basically a punching bag for a guy serg nearly put in a coma.. I actually don't mind sergio fighting these contenders with no names its not like they are bums, but I'm sure his wallet minds.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (cshel86 @ Oct 12 2011, 10:35 PM) *
Damn BlueMercury, I didn't even know you existed! Lol. I usually see you post videos (with no description in the intial post), then thats is. You're not BlueMercury, you're the Pink Panther! All action, no words! Just messin' with ya man!

She sells, sea shells. Bro I was highly disappointed that I wasn't able to go off on the new guy on the other thread. Smh

I was finna go HAM. The one time I don't checc the site before leaving work. Smh.
kingknockout
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Oct 11 2011, 05:32 PM) *
Wright would be a good marketable opponent, but I just don't know how much he has left or if dude is even fighting anymore. I know he's putting in work with Chad Dawson as a consultant, but I doubt he's sparring with him since he's a southpaw. He hasn't had a fight for 2.5 years and I don't know how long that layoff is going to last. On top of that, Martinez's style is all wrong for Winky. Martinez is busy and doesn't stop throwing. Winky would just cover up all night like he did against Williams. Wright will land a few nice shots, but he wouldn't be able to hurt Martinez. Winky would lose every round. The Barker's of the world will put up a more competitive fight, but Winky will have the name sake to get Martinez a bit of recognition.

funny you should say this, because depending on what wright shows up during that fight, wrights style is all wrong for sergio.

We all seen what problems sergio had with barker and his defense which resembled wright's....plus wright has a better right hand than barker I'm sure of, and is the all around better boxer at that.

people in here are saying that paul williams gave wright a hard time....I don't remember that fight, prob because it was awhile ago....but we all know that doesn't mean nothing in boxing....

just because sergio beat paul and paul beat wright doesn't mean a thing at all.

styles make fights.
Cshel86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Oct 13 2011, 01:51 PM) *
She sells, sea shells. Bro I was highly disappointed that I wasn't able to go off on the new guy on the other thread. Smh

I was finna go HAM. The one time I don't checc the site before leaving work. Smh.

Lmao! Dont worry Jon...there's always a next time!
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 22 2011, 06:50 PM) *
funny you should say this, because depending on what wright shows up during that fight, wrights style is all wrong for sergio.

We all seen what problems sergio had with barker and his defense which resembled wright's....plus wright has a better right hand than barker I'm sure of, and is the all around better boxer at that.

people in here are saying that paul williams gave wright a hard time....I don't remember that fight, prob because it was awhile ago....but we all know that doesn't mean nothing in boxing....

just because sergio beat paul and paul beat wright doesn't mean a thing at all.

styles make fights.

+1
Depends on how much Winky has left, he will give Sergio fits. Though Wright defends for over half of the fight, its hell when he decides to assert himself and throw punches. Im sure there's nothing more that Winky would want to do, than dethrone Sergio, but he may have a daunting task ahead of him.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 22 2011, 07:01 PM) *
Lmao! Dont worry Jon...there's always a next time!

+1
Depends on how much Winky has left, he will give Sergio fits. Though Wright defends for over half of the fight, its hell when he decides to assert himself and throw punches. Im sure there's nothing more that Winky would want to do, than dethrone Sergio, but he may have a daunting task ahead of him.

spoke the truth in that post, all in all I think it would be an interesting fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 22 2011, 07:55 PM) *
spoke the truth in that post, all in all I think it would be an interesting fight.

True! Its a good fight for the both of them. Sergio will add a HOF'er on his resume and this would be a shot at redemption for Winky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.