Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is Clottey?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86

I dont know about you guys, but Joshua Clottey would've remained a force in the Welterweight division, but he's nowhere to be found nowadays. He could've been a credible test for guys like Khan, Bradley, and Alexander, who all plan to move up to WW...if they haven't already done so. He could've also been a good scrap for Berto and Ortiz as well...and I remember Ortiz fighting Clottey's brother earlier in his career.

I've been saying this about Clottey for a while now, and it could hold some truth at the present time. I can remember the problems he gave guys like Judah, Margarito, Baldomir, Cotto, and so forth. If all you can bring up is that fluke ass Pacquiao fight and write him off...then please make it your business to get the fuck outta this thread right now. Other than that, share your qualified thoughts...
mgrover
the reason i wrote him off is his inability to take risks, i mean in the cotto fight he had cotto hurt, face all puffy and what not and just did nothing and then complains about being robbed. i think he'd be good for any fighter to showcase some technical skill because his ear muffs make it slightly hard to hit him clean.
Seek
I'm pretty sure Clottey is moving to 154. Maybe he could fight Margarito or Mosley
mgrover
or another cotto fight if cotto makes it past magarito
checkleft
Its like watching a guy go at it with a punching bag. He should stay where he's at
Seek
QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 19 2011, 02:20 PM) *
or another cotto fight if cotto makes it past magarito

man i wanna see cotto get in there with canelo or martinez

canelo is for sure going to face the winner of angulo vs kirkland next right?
Hittman25
I remember watching a video with clottey calling out paul williams. He was saying how pwill is a weak welterweight. Im with you man he is a perfect test for the up and coming 140 pounders.
Allmenjoi8
Well Shaft, the question is when he reemerges what kind of fighter is he going to be? Is he going to be a punching bag or is he going to actually box? Clottely has a good personality and I think his reach would give Khan/Sergio fits. But if he just stands there like a punching bag then he can stay in Uganda.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hittman25 @ Oct 19 2011, 03:50 PM) *
I remember watching a video with clottey calling out paul williams. He was saying how pwill is a weak welterweight. Im with you man he is a perfect test for the up and coming 140 pounders.

Thank you! This dude is no punk by any measure. Yes, he doesn't take many risks, but you gotta look at the condition that opponent is usually in after the fight is over. Any guy that can break his opponents down and rarely takes any punishment due to his decent defense, is always a force to be reckoned with. I dont ever remember this dude being in too much trouble in the ring.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 19 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Well Shaft, the question is when he reemerges what kind of fighter is he going to be? Is he going to be a punching bag or is he going to actually box? Clottely has a good personality and I think his reach would give Khan/Sergio fits. But if he just stands there like a punching bag then he can stay in Uganda.

How many of his fights have you actually saw? Pleeeease dont mention that Pacquiao circus that most of us wasted our money on.
bosco
The answer to where's Clottey is...Who cares
HazConvictedFelonMane
He's in the Bronx. At the coke spot.
Cshel86
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Oct 19 2011, 04:02 PM) *

I wouldn't doubt it laugh.gif

QUOTE (bosco @ Oct 19 2011, 04:02 PM) *

AlynK
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 19 2011, 02:56 PM) *

honestly the only fight i've seen of his is the cotto fight and the pacquiao fight so i can't make much of an opinion about him as a fighter overall. but i will say that fight was just horrible as he just stood there and did nothing. i'm still willing to see more of him though just to get a better idea of him as a fighter (or maybe i'll just go watch some of his older fights). i have heard some people say they consider him a gatekeeper now though...
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 19 2011, 03:02 PM) *
How many of his fights have you actually saw? Pleeeease dont mention that Pacquiao circus that most of us wasted our money on.

Well, the Judah fight vs. Clottey was interesting. Then there was he and Pacquiao. He really does not interest me Big Head, he really doesn't. I wasted my money on nothing. I have yet to pay for a Pac fight and I do not plan on doing do in the future.
Seek
QUOTE (AlynK @ Oct 19 2011, 04:15 PM) *
honestly the only fight i've seen of his is the cotto fight and the pacquiao fight so i can't make much of an opinion about him as a fighter overall. but i will say that fight was just horrible as he just stood there and did nothing. i'm still willing to see more of him though just to get a better idea of him as a fighter (or maybe i'll just go watch some of his older fights). i have heard some people say they consider him a gatekeeper now though...

Man its strange cause Clottey talked such a huge game before and really took it to Judah and Cotto. Then he fights Pacquiao and all of a sudden he's the dudes biggest fan and refuses to engage then after the loss, dissappears from boxing for over a year. Clottey can do some serious damage at the current 147 or even 154
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 19 2011, 02:56 PM) *

He's from Ghana.
Cshel86
QUOTE (AlynK @ Oct 19 2011, 05:15 PM) *

Well at least you've seen the Cotto fight...I cant even count the Pacquiao fight, it was a total game-blower. His fight with Judah was great, and had decent fights with Margarito and Baldomir. The Corrales fights were good too, though Chico's body didn't respond well to moving up in weight.
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 19 2011, 05:24 PM) *
Well, the Judah fight vs. Clottey was interesting. Then there was he and Pacquiao. He really does not interest me Big Head, he really doesn't. I wasted my money on nothing. I have yet to pay for a Pac fight and I do not plan on doing do in the future.

Well you watched the right fight, if you watched all of the Judah fight. Who cares about that trashy Pacman fight...I still want my money back as well.

QUOTE (Seek @ Oct 19 2011, 05:51 PM) *
Man its strange cause Clottey talked such a huge game before and really took it to Judah and Cotto. Then he fights Pacquiao and all of a sudden he's the dudes biggest fan and refuses to engage then after the loss, dissappears from boxing for over a year. Clottey can do some serious damage at the current 147 or even 154

Tell me about it! I really wanted to see him fight P. Willy, but the shit never materialized. I dont even wanna talk about that Pacquiao fight, but other than that, he will still buss a few heads at WW (if he can still make weight).
mrchitown
I've always wondered why Clottey just fell off the scene. He's always been a solid fighter and I think besides that fight he had with Manny, he's been pretty interesting in his career. I actually think he beat Cotto when they fought and I think he'd be a good matchup for some of the fighters at 147 and 154 because of his defensive technique
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 19 2011, 02:57 PM) *

I dont know about you guys, but Joshua Clottey would've remained a force in the Welterweight division, but he's nowhere to be found nowadays. He could've been a credible test for guys like Khan, Bradley, and Alexander, who all plan to move up to WW...if they haven't already done so. He could've also been a good scrap for Berto and Ortiz as well...and I remember Ortiz fighting Clottey's brother earlier in his career.

I've been saying this about Clottey for a while now, and it could hold some truth at the present time. I can remember the problems he gave guys like Judah, Margarito, Baldomir, Cotto, and so forth. If all you can bring up is that fluke ass Pacquiao fight and write him off...then please make it your business to get the fuck outta this thread right now. Other than that, share your qualified thoughts...

I used to be a fan of Clottey's and the last I heard, he was chillin' in Ghana spending his ill gotten gains... (although I think that I read somewhere that he was on the comeback trail). While I agree that he'd be a decent test for the younger fighters, I don't think that he'd be able to beat Ortiz, Khan, or even Bradley. His last two fights painted a picture of a strong, but limited fighter. He had his moments, but after he played himself against both Cotto and Pacquaio, I lost all interest. He's an embarrasment to the warriors from Ghana like Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey and Joseph Agbeko.
AlynK
QUOTE (Seek @ Oct 19 2011, 04:51 PM) *

I remember watching the 24/7 and how determined he seemed to put up a good fight. And then, at the beginning of each round he was smiling at Pac like he wasnt getting his ass kicked. At first i thought it was out of good sportsmanship. But round after round i was like why is he being so friendly-- why isn't he trying? I know that was his biggest payday but he didn't have to mail it in like that.
JONdaCON817
He would serve as a fairly decent Gate Keeper for the WW division but he'd make a better Punching Bag for other Elite Fighters....
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (bosco @ Oct 19 2011, 03:02 PM) *

+1
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Oct 19 2011, 03:02 PM) *

ohhh word??... LMAO!

i thought he was at the Trap House on Flatbush Ave... Brooklyn got that African dope. hahaha
streetlion1
I dont care to see the walking heavy bag Clottey anymore....he would look decent for a couple fights and then lay an egg for a payday against a top name.
kingknockout
When everybody in the welterweight division was scared of Margarito, Clottey was one of the few guys that actually stepped up and fought a great fight against Margarito.

Cshel86
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Oct 20 2011, 09:06 PM) *
When everybody in the welterweight division was scared of Margarito, Clottey was one of the few guys that actually stepped up and fought a great fight against Margarito.

+1
Maybe because he didnt have a choice either laugh.gif
Slumpage

Anyone remember this Clottey interview after the Manny fight.... Interesting I'd say...

Subtitles may be needed, lol!!
Slumpage
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Oct 21 2011, 08:03 AM) *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wf_CNY_330

Anyone remember this Clottey interview after the Manny fight.... Interesting I'd say...

get's interesting at around 3:20 in....
Slumpage
So right before the Manny bout Arum tied Clottey to another 2 years on his contract, then benched him ever since?! I understand Clottey did have a fight scheduled but got injured jogging, heard nothing since...

SUSPECT!
Cshel86
It was decent video, though I couldn't listen to it at high volume since Im at work. Like you said, this video does need subtitles or a leap frog or somethin'! I will comment on it later.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Oct 21 2011, 08:06 AM) *
get's interesting at around 3:20 in....
Thanks.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Oct 21 2011, 08:03 AM) *

Excuses and more excuses Joshua... Haha, he blamed banku, yet he eats kenke? That's like someone saying that Burger King fries made him sick because he normally only eats McDonald's fries.
sduck
Clottey took his Top Rank payday and went home.
MissBigguns
Emmanuelle Clottey or Jushua Clottey?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.