Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prime Floyd Mayweather vs Jesse James Leija
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Fitz
Give me Mayweather by late stoppage. Leija will give Mayweather some headaches early, but Mayweather will adjust like he does. Too good of defence, great footwork, great handspeed and a great IQ. He will have some scares early, but will eventually break Leija down.
kingknockout
Don't know enough about leija to make a proper assumption, so I'm not just going to run in this thread and say mayweather would win.

Jack 1000
Floyd by TKO 10 (on cuts) after some good moments from Jesse before Floyd finds the range in the 4th round and wears him down after that.

Jack
kidbazooka1
Is this a seriouse question. I liked Leija he was a good fighter but thats all he was good nothing special.

Floyd toys with him and puts him away within 5.
Vaughn831
Mayweather easily............It would be just like the Mayweather Vs Gatti fight. Mayweather would punish him for about 6 rounds before a stoppage come on now Leija lost to Jeff Mayweather back in 1995 or 96' and Floyd is much much better than Jeff, that wouldn't even be a fair fight
leonthegee
Which two lames actually voted for JJL. Thats pure hatred right there. I mean the question it self is rediculous.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 06:58 PM) *
Give me Mayweather by late stoppage. Leija will give Mayweather some headaches early, but Mayweather will adjust like he does. Too good of defence, great footwork, great handspeed and a great IQ. He will have some scares early, but will eventually break Leija down.

Wow, just wow Fitz, Leija is OK but there is no need for this fight to ever happen. Floyd in 6 or under. As I say no need for this fight to even to take place, not even in our imaginations
Fitz
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Oct 22 2011, 09:38 PM) *
Which two lames actually voted for JJL. Thats pure hatred right there. I mean the question it self is rediculous.

I don't think the question was that ridiculous, though that's your opinion. Fights are won in the ring, Leija was a solid fighter and cannot just be dismissed like that.

How about Collazo? Mayweather avoided him, though people will just ignore that. Collazo got robbed against Ricky Hatton, and Collazo should have been the WBA welter weight champion and proved Hatton is not a true welter weight. Instead of facing Luis a true welter, he went for the smaller Hatton who got a gift.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 09:40 AM) *
I don't think the question was that ridiculous, though that's your opinion. Fights are won in the ring, Leija was a solid fighter and cannot just be dismissed like that.

How about Collazo? Mayweather avoided him, though people will just ignore that. Collazo got robbed against Ricky Hatton, and Collazo should have been the WBA welter weight champion and proved Hatton is not a true welter weight. Instead of facing Luis a true welter, he went for the smaller Hatton who got a gift.

That is a very good point which I had never considered.
leonthegee
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 06:40 AM) *

Floyd avoided Collazo. Lmao your talking crasy. Who has Collazo ever beat?
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Agreed, a shameless example of ducking which doesn't get talked about as much as it should.
Cshel86
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Oct 22 2011, 11:15 AM) *

I actually gave him a slight edge against Berto, but Im sure that doesn't count for anything, lol.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Collazo was a damn good fighter too around 2006-2009. He basically beat Berto, gave Hatton fits before Floyd did, and was a slick southpaw. No wonder Floyd didn't want no part of that. Floyd didn't want no part of Antonio Margarito back in the day either. Regardless of how he did, he still turned down 8 million to fight him.

I guess Leija did beat Nelson. However, he went on to get stopped in 9 by Mosley at lightweight. He was dropped in three different rounds too. I know Shane as a lightweight was a beast, but I think Floyd would have had enough speed even in 98 to beat Leija. He wouldn't have toyed with him as easily as Shane did, but the speed would be too much.
gravytrain

it sounds like you beat Mayweather's dick like Vitali beat Shannon Briggs. it doesn't matter who he beats, ducking fights is ducking fights
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah Mayweather would have beaten him, but it would not have been a Gatti type beating. No way no how. And a fight against Collazo would have been great too, but Mayweather had to fight Judah to prove that he was better than Baldomir. It was more important I suppose.
sduck
I saw this on the front page and immediately thought, oh god not another one until I saw who posted it LOL

Did Mayweather really duck Collazo? Actually lets be more detailed, did he duck the fight in fear, or was it because it wasn't a big payday? Sounds more like the latter, like with Margarito he wanted the bigger payday with Oscar.

QUOTE (Vaughn831 @ Oct 22 2011, 06:18 AM) *
Mayweather easily............It would be just like the Mayweather Vs Gatti fight. Mayweather would punish him for about 6 rounds before a stoppage come on now Leija lost to Jeff Mayweather back in 1995 or 96' and Floyd is much much better than Jeff, that wouldn't even be a fair fight

He didn't lose to Jeff Mayweather. His most notable losses are to Oscar TKO 2, Mosley TKO 9, Tszyu TKO 6, and Gatti KO 6
HazConvictedFelonMane
The results of the poll reflects what everyone already knows. Floyd has his best days at the lighter weight classes. Since he's moved up in weight, he has gone through the same things that are supposed to happen when fighters move up in weight. What's supposed to be so freakishly great about Manny Pacquiao. The fact that he's moved up in weight without losing any power, speed, or stamina. This is something that doesn't happen in the sport of boxing, but this guy is so special that he can do this without anyone questioning his methods. Nevermind the fact that he outright refused to be tested. He's just this guy who just revamps his whole career by moving up in weight. If he was struggling enough to make the announce team mention something about a decline, but he didn't move up in weight sooner? A lot of things just don't make any sense when it comes to this fighter. I just hope that he puts pen to paper in regards to the test. Floyd will fight so let's see what Manny and TR's excuse is this time around. It may be Floyd's cases, Pac's mandatory, or something totally different. Maybe Pac might take a 18 month hiatus. Who knows? Well I'll certainly be paying very close attention to both fighters after Nov. 12th.
lloyd mayflower
A thread about Floyd v Jesse James Leija and Haz comes in with "take the tess".

Typical, what a prick.
gravytrain
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Oct 22 2011, 05:02 PM) *
The results of the poll reflects what everyone already knows. Floyd has his best days at the lighter weight classes. Since he's moved up in weight, he has gone through the same things that are supposed to happen when fighters move up in weight. What's supposed to be so freakishly great about Manny Pacquiao. The fact that he's moved up in weight without losing any power, speed, or stamina. This is something that doesn't happen in the sport of boxing, but this guy is so special that he can do this without anyone questioning his methods. Nevermind the fact that he outright refused to be tested. He's just this guy who just revamps his whole career by moving up in weight. If he was struggling enough to make the announce team mention something about a decline, but he didn't move up in weight sooner? A lot of things just don't make any sense when it comes to this fighter. I just hope that he puts pen to paper in regards to the test. Floyd will fight so let's see what Manny and TR's excuse is this time around. It may be Floyd's cases, Pac's mandatory, or something totally different. Maybe Pac might take a 18 month hiatus. Who knows? Well I'll certainly be paying very close attention to both fighters after Nov. 12th.

Mayweather is the only fighter taking layoffs to duck fights, not Pac.

why would he lose power, speed or stamina when he's coming to the ring at 144 back in his days at 135? that's not far from what he weighs on fight night now.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Oct 22 2011, 10:15 AM) *

He took both Hatton and Berto's 0. Fuck the judges. Mayweather and Ortiz ate the scraps off Collazo's plate.

Only Shane Mosley had the balls to step up and put it on Luis. Just like he did 2 years later with Margarito.

Shane is, was and always will be 10x the man Floyd Mayweather wishes he was.

Floyd never would have handled Leija the way Shane or Oscar did. No, sir.

Give me Jesse James by majority draw. Cards read 115-113, 116-112, 114-114.

I don't even have to see this fight to know exactly how it would have went down.

Jesse James Leija's real record should read 48-7-2 (19 KO's).
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Oct 22 2011, 06:43 PM) *
He took both Hatton and Berto's 0. Fuck the judges. Mayweather and Ortiz ate the scraps off Collazo's plate.

Only Shane Mosley had the balls to step up and put it on Luis. Just like he did 2 years later with Margarito.

Shane is, was and always will be 10x the man Floyd Mayweather wishes he was.

Floyd never would have handled Leija the way Shane or Oscar did. No, sir.

Give me Jesse James by majority draw. Cards read 115-113, 116-112, 114-114.

I don't even have to see this fight to know exactly how it would have went down.

Jesse James Leija's real record should read 48-7-2 (19 KO's).

No doubt about it. POTY.
PalookaJoe
This may be controversial, but I have JJL by TKO. I think the ref woulda stopped it eventually.

But that's just how I see it.
Romulus9

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 22 2011, 02:44 PM) *
it sounds like you beat Mayweather's dick like Vitali beat Shannon Briggs. it doesn't matter who he beats, ducking fights is ducking fights

Impossible! In order for him to beat it, he'd have to get it out of Leonard Ellerbe's orifice of choice first.
Vaughn831
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 08:40 AM) *

Mayweather didn't avoid Collazo idiot he fought Hatton cuz there was more money in that fight. Who is Collazo......Mayweather would dominate him easily. Collazo aint even better than Ortiz bruh you trippin. Collazo just lost to Freddy Hernandez and he was KO'd by Edwin Cassiani a nobody come on now you obviously don't no nothin about the sport of boxing u shouldn't even watch anymore..... Go to water polo lol ur weak
Fitz
I think Mayweather knew he would be in for a very tough fight against Collazo, and decided to take a different route. Rather than face the tough southpaw from NYC.
Vaughn831
QUOTE (PalookaJoe @ Oct 22 2011, 07:02 PM) *
This may be controversial, but I have JJL by TKO. I think the ref woulda stopped it eventually.

But that's just how I see it.

You know absolutely nothing about boxing.....Its hard to even have a conversation with someone of your knowledge of boxing.
How in the hell can u make a comment like that and live with yourself WOW ur funny bruh bruh
Romulus9
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 08:22 PM) *
I think Mayweather knew he would be in for a very tough fight against Collazo, and decided to take a different route. Rather than face the tough southpaw from NYC.

I think the real question is who Mayweather will fight next. We know it will be a rematch but with who? Victor Ortiz or Carlos Baldomir?

Either way, it's on pay-per-view so pony up the 60 bucks.
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (Vaughn831 @ Oct 22 2011, 08:26 PM) *
You know absolutely nothing about boxing.....Its hard to even have a conversation with someone of your knowledge of boxing.
How in the hell can u make a comment like that and live with yourself WOW ur funny bruh bruh

Says the guy who says "bruh bruh"

Fitz
QUOTE (Vaughn831 @ Oct 23 2011, 11:21 AM) *
Mayweather didn't avoid Collazo idiot he fought Hatton cuz there was more money in that fight. Who is Collazo......Mayweather would dominate him easily. Collazo aint even better than Ortiz bruh you trippin. Collazo just lost to Freddy Hernandez and he was KO'd by Edwin Cassiani a nobody come on now you obviously don't no nothin about the sport of boxing u shouldn't even watch anymore..... Go to water polo lol ur weak

He avoided Collazo because he was bigger and more cagey than Hatton. Mayweather and Collazo would have sold big at Madison Square Garden. He had a PR background and they would have all come down and would have been a big event. Maybe he is scared of the PR fighters like Cotto and Collazo.
Yes Collazo just lost, but he is shot, not a prime Collazo any more, he was out of the ring for close to 2 years, you know nothing about the sport you rookie.
Fitz
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Oct 23 2011, 11:28 AM) *
I think the real question is who Mayweather will fight next. We know it will be a rematch but with who? Victor Ortiz or Carlos Baldomir?

Either way, it's on pay-per-view so pony up the 60 bucks.

I think it will be a rematch with Ortiz, and it will be well worth the $60 to see Mayweather school him again, lmao
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 08:35 PM) *
I think it will be a rematch with Ortiz, and it will be well worth the $60 to see Mayweather school him again, lmao

I think it'll be an interesting fight. If the fight had gone on, Floyd was going to be in trouble. Ortiz' punches were finding a home, and prior to his imploding with the headbutt, he had Mayweather backed into the corner and firing on him at will. For whatever reason Ortiz just melted down.

If not for that, we might be talking about Ortiz vs. Pacquiao.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (PalookaJoe @ Oct 22 2011, 08:41 PM) *
I think it'll be an interesting fight. If the fight had gone on, Floyd was going to be in trouble. Ortiz' punches were finding a home, and prior to his imploding with the headbutt, he had Mayweather backed into the corner and firing on him at will. For whatever reason Ortiz just melted down.

If not for that, we might be talking about Ortiz vs. Pacquiao.

I think Mayweather was in trouble after the headbutt and Ortiz could have jumped on him had Mayweather not acted like a chump. That Ortiz headbitt really hurt Mayweather. I mean Floyd even emphasized that in the post fight press conference. He had a busted lip and everything.
Hops
Had Ortiz continued with his way of lip-butting Floyd, and at the same time landing occasionally, Floyd would have been knocked out in the later rounds. Ortiz was finding his target. He was hurting Floyd. When Floyd gets hurt, he uses his elbows.

And Jesse James Leija would have beaten Mayweather. And then Mayweather would have beaten him in the rematch.

Prime Collazo will molest Floyd more effectively than what Castillo did in their first fight.
PalookaJoe
Agreed on all counts. It woulda been a good fight, but in the end.. Floyd woulda got shot down

Fitz
Leija is a beast and was severely underrated. People forget that he came down to Australia and was beating Tszyu handily before he suffered a burst ear drum. This is against possibly a top 3 of all time at 140, and people want to just dismiss Mayweather and Leija? Please.

Don't even get me started again on what happened with Collazo.
ViperSniper
No way Leija is getting Gatti'd by Mayweather in this match up! Jesse James Leija was a good fighter and showed determination inside the ring who would have made a tough fight for Floyd and make him work hard! I could see Mayweather stopping Leija late in the fight in a fight that would have been close on the cards!

As for Mayweather-Collazo at welterweight back in the day? I think Collazo would have had a style that would have made Mayweather looked more average than usual. It's not about who Collazo beat but who he hung in there with and what he brought into the ring! It sounds strange to suggest Collazo beats Mayweather, but it's really not out of the question just because Collazo isn't a marketable name. A tall, tough, rangy southpaw boxer who showed to have decent skill set would have been a very difficult fight for Mayweather who would find him self reaching in for his punchers more than usual fighter the bigger fighter not coming forward.

What's next for Money Nay? A rematch with the Vicious one? Or the long awaited rematch against the Super one Judah?

Hops
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Oct 23 2011, 05:19 AM) *
What's next for Money Nay? A rematch with the Vicious one? Or the long awaited rematch against the Super one Judah?

Perhaps another break. Till his money runs out and at the same time there's an opponent out there (not named Pacquiao) who he can hype a fight with.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Hops @ Oct 23 2011, 12:25 AM) *
Perhaps another break. Till his money runs out and at the same time there's an opponent out there (not named Pacquiao) who he can hype a fight with.

That's sounds like the usual game plan. Expect Khan to take the bait.
sduck
Most of these posts must be made of pure jokes or hatred... no way.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (sduck @ Oct 23 2011, 12:54 AM) *
Most of these posts must be made of pure jokes or hatred... no way.

I think that some of the arguments that are being made are quite solid, and I have yet to see anyone serve up any intelligent counter arguments. The only thing I'm seeing is "Wow, just wow" type of empty comments.
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 23 2011, 01:01 AM) *
I think that some of the arguments that are being made are quite solid, and I have yet to see anyone serve up any intelligent counter arguments. The only thing I'm seeing is "Wow, just wow" type of empty comments.

Exactly, bruh bruh
neophyte7
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 22 2011, 08:47 AM) *
Wow, just wow Fitz, Leija is OK but there is no need for this fight to ever happen. Floyd in 6 or under. As I say no need for this fight to even to take place, not even in our imaginations

AMEN!!!
sduck
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 23 2011, 01:01 AM) *

^ lol

This is another one of those what ifs kind of discussions. Anyone can say anything, literally. It'll all conclude to only a what if and insults. I might post an argument tomorrow, I'm off to bed right now.
Lil-lightsout
Leija at his best was a beast. He would have made Floyd miss a lot, which would have frustrated PBF and Leija would have capitalized on it. Heck fucking Augustus could get Floyd to the ropes and busted him up pretty good in a tough losing effort. Castillo really gave PBF a loss in the first of their fights. I see Jesse James with his constant in your face pressure type fighter getting to Floyd and probably stopping him late in the fight. We all know the chin his Dad, Roger, and Jeff had in their careers. Made of pure glass. It's funny most of these guys picking Floyd do not even know who Leija is or ever saw him fight, should not even be here responding.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Oct 23 2011, 10:02 AM) *
The results of the poll reflects what everyone already knows. Floyd has his best days at the lighter weight classes.

Huh? I'm not sure what poll you're looking at but I have to say it's pretty tight. Leija is a live one in the eyes of many.
SENTRAL
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 23 2011, 01:50 AM) *
Leija at his best was a beast. He would have made Floyd miss a lot, which would have frustrated PBF and Leija would have capitalized on it. Heck fucking Augustus could get Floyd to the ropes and busted him up pretty good in a tough losing effort. Castillo really gave PBF a loss in the first of their fights. I see Jesse James with his constant in your face pressure type fighter getting to Floyd and probably stopping him late in the fight. We all know the chin his Dad, Roger, and Jeff had in their careers. Made of pure glass. It's funny most of these guys picking Floyd do not even know who Leija is or ever saw him fight, should not even be here responding.

Amen to that! Pure quality, pure gold. As a younger cat I had to do my research on Leija and boy am I glad I did. Floyd wouldn't know how to deal with Jesse. He would be embarrassed.
PalookaJoe
I was actually thinking that Leija might even be able to make Floyd quit. I know, I know, that's blasphemous talk, but Floyd has never been one that likes what he can't control. He's a control freak to the Nth power. And being in the ring with someone like Leija who is so incredibly gifted in the talent and skills department, I wonder if Floyd could keep his composure and keep from either fouling to get out of it (like some feel that Hopkins and Ortiz did recently) or pull a Cintron and just jump the fuck outta the ring, just to get away from this beast.

I don't know, I think it's possible. Call me crazy, but hey...crazy shit has happened in this sport.
sduck
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 23 2011, 01:50 AM) *

This is probably the only "solid argument" I've seen for Leija. Every other I've seen is just fckin terrible. Even though I of course don't agree. For the reasons that Augustus and Castillo are not the same fighters as Leija at all. Leija is a good fighter, for the most part likes to box and doesn't really like to get hit.
In comparison to the Gatti fight, which I think some people here brought up in favor for Mayweather, Gatti wasn't quick enough on his feet to catch Mayweather, to bring pressure, also to the fact Gatti didn't ignore punishment.
Leija could of changed it to a C. Hernandez-Mayweather fight, but that also depends on his willingness to ignore getting countered and punished. Shane Mosley didn't become too one-dimensional until he moved up to welterweight on up, but the fact that he could get outboxed by someone like Mosley, and even Gatti, is enough reason to suggest that Leija would have no chance against Mayweather.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 22 2011, 07:31 PM) *
He avoided Collazo because he was bigger and more cagey than Hatton. Mayweather and Collazo would have sold big at Madison Square Garden. He had a PR background and they would have all come down and would have been a big event. Maybe he is scared of the PR fighters like Cotto and Collazo.
Yes Collazo just lost, but he is shot, not a prime Collazo any more, he was out of the ring for close to 2 years, you know nothing about the sport you rookie.

Haha. I was thinkin the same thing. Silly rookies. Thinkin they can juss waltz in here in and immediately become the all knowing poster. Lmao.
Fitz
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Oct 24 2011, 04:49 AM) *
Haha. I was thinkin the same thing. Silly rookies. Thinkin they can juss waltz in here in and immediately become the all knowing poster. Lmao.

lol, I bet these guys didn't even know who or just how good Leija was.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.