Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are promoters OBLIGATED to match fighters with the best?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PalookaJoe
Was thinking about this the other day. So many people rip various promoters because they "cherry pick" opponents for their fighters.

Arum pits most of his fighters against his own, so he makes more money, obviously, and the fights aren't necessarily big threats, such as with Manny.

Floyd has been accused of doing the same thing, matching up against people that no one really thinks has a chance against him, because it makes the most money.

Manny does that as well. Chavez Jr. has been long accused of being carried.

My question is that while it's clearly in the boxing FAN's best interest for us to have the best fights made, matching the best fighters against each other, does the promoters/match makers have any real obligation to do that, or do they simply have the obligation to do what's in the best interest of their fighter? And if that best interest is matching them up against easy win opponents for the most money, is that wrong of them to do so?

AS I said from the boxing FAN standpoint, yes, but from the promoter standpoint? I don't know if they really are obligated to put their guy up against the very best, unless their fighter explicitly asks to be put against the best.
STEVENSKI
A promotors job is as follows:

Make themselves & their company as much money as possible whilst minimising commercial risk & protecting their asset.

In order to do so they must:

Build their fighters name, fanbase & exposure by engaging in low risk televised fights where their charge will win in impressive fashion. Secure a long term network TV deal for the fighter using their contacts & promotion groups muscle. Exploit said fighter by matching them against opponents in a least risk vs reward scenario. Wash rinse & repeat until client suffers a loss & or retires. Dependant on fighters fanbase & revenue stream they may get another shot. Or in the words of Don King just become another needle in the haystack.
mgrover
every promoter is corrupt some just havent shown there true colors like arum
HazConvictedFelonMane
What's up with you guys and the pic of Miss Bigguns? Anyways.
Are they obligated to match their fighters with the best out there? As a fan of boxing (or are you really?), what do you think? Boxing is in fact a business. And like all other business, they have consumers. What happens when the consumers are not happy with the product? They find somewhere else to purchase. Some boxing fans can be blinded by what's happening due to the insatiable appetite for violence. Meaning, they would overlook the quality of the matchup, in favor of seeing blood fly. It's cool though as long as they produce more and talk less. With Bob Arum, he comes up with so many excuses as to why he just pits his fighters, against his fighters. The deal breaker comes when 2 different promotional companies put together an event that sticks to a boxing fan's mind for months after the final bell rang. Lou DiBella and GBP put on a sensational show in the MGM at Foxwoods. That's what boxing needs. These promoters find ways to make it happen. It only starts to become grey when Top Ran is involved. Everyone plays well with others except for the crooked promoter who's been in trouble for bribery and fixing fights.
Cshel86
Hahahaha!!! Dammit Haz! I wouldn't doubt if it was MissBigguns, but who cares, lol. I have to give it to Fitz and Stevenski for being straight up fools for this one! laugh.gif Nothing wrong with having fun, I cant knock that! Im a bit disappointed that they took Gonefishing's word for it though...we all know he's a "Simple Simon"...and that's just me being nice about it. P.S. I didn't pull the plug on him...though I wanted to, lol.

I can almost bet my last buck that aint Allmenjoi though, lol. As far as PalookaZookaJoe, or whatever his name is, who finds it cool to be a follower...find your own way around here dude! Im trying to see just how many dicks he's ridden since he's been here haha.gif The AV joke lost its steam when I saw him chime in, smh. First, he was the FightHype lawyer that got owned in the defamation thread, then he took on the part-time smartguy role, now he's just being a FH booty fly dntknw.gif...everytime some shit hits the surface, he's right there to co-sign.

Oh yeah, I agree with all of the promoter posts on here, so Im left with no input. I hate when fighters complain about what their promoter is or isn't doing, money, etc...I guess they forget that they signed the contract to begin with dntknw.gif
checkleft
Def. Not, they just look out for their own personal interests. Tons of examples of promoters you can use
HazConvictedFelonMane
Is it a crime to test the theory of who's the better fighters? Put them in the ring with each other. Berto and Ortiz could've stood completely clear of one another. But what would that do for the sport of boxing? It robs it and it robs us for the type of things that we watch boxing for. I want to see 2 fighters with bad intentions square off. Not someone being placed in the ring with someone who can do nothing but make the other guy look good. Tim Bradley-Joel Casamayor is a shining example of what boxing does NOT need. We needed Khan-Bradley, but Bradley would rather go to the company that would make it ok for him to duck someone. It was almost certain that the winners of the 140 pound fights would face each other. Khan was ready to fight Bradley, and Bradley went dark. Then when he was finally able to speak up, he says something to the tune of 'what if I lose'? That means he was too afraid to face a fighter who was capable of kicking his ass. He was going to get the same amount of money that he's getting to fight Casamayor, to fight Khan. Maybe a little better on the back end, but he chose to be amongst duckers who look for easy prey, easy paydays.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Oct 24 2011, 08:00 PM) *
, but Bradley would rather go to the company that would make it ok for him to duck someone.

Surprised Mayweather Promotions managed to secure a name like Bradley but fair play, maybe iv been selling them short.
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 24 2011, 10:30 AM) *
As far as PalookaZookaJoe, or whatever his name is, who finds it cool to be a follower...find your own way around here dude! Im trying to see just how many dicks he's ridden since he's been here haha.gif The AV joke lost its steam when I saw him chime in, smh. First, he was the FightHype lawyer that got owned in the defamation thread, then he took on the part-time smartguy role, now he's just being a FH booty fly dntknw.gif...everytime some shit hits the surface, he's right there to co-sign.

fuck.gif

Wait, am I allowed to post that to you, or are the insults only allowed to go one way here? Where you talk shit about people, but they can't say shit back?
Cshel86
QUOTE (PalookaJoe @ Oct 24 2011, 04:10 PM) *
fuck.gif

Wait, am I allowed to post that to you, or are the insults only allowed to go one way here? Where you talk shit about people, but they can't say shit back?

Dude, I've said this before...your very existence here has consisted of you being a follower. Nothing that you've said here has made much of a difference, and thats evident. For God's sake, this isn't high school man, just post (if you know what you're talking about) and move forward from there, its not hard.

Im STILL laughing at how you were on a roll in that defamation thread and thought you were a lawyer...then somebody got on there and knew what they were talking about...then you got owned. Im glad that you've decided to take on forum posting and not politics, so now I truly have no reason to take you seriously. Do yourself a solid and find a way to not say anything else to me bro and watch what you do around here...following what others do around here will have your ass somewhere that you really dont wanna be no2.gif
Fitz
I actually thought it was funny that PalookaJoe used that AV as well. It was just an AV, if it isn't her, should be no problem. No nudity, not offensive (unless you find that fat woman gross), just an AV.
I don't think the AV broke any rules, I think this was all just in good fun though, and PalookaJoe made it merrier by sporting one of those AV's as well.
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 24 2011, 05:44 PM) *
Dude, I've said this before...your very existence here has consisted of you being a follower. Nothing that you've said here has made much of a difference, and thats evident. For God's sake, this isn't high school man, just post (if you know what you're talking about) and move forward from there, its not hard.

Im STILL laughing at how you were on a roll in that defamation thread and thought you were a lawyer...then somebody got on there and knew what they were talking about...then you got owned. Im glad that you've decided to take on forum posting and not politics, so now I truly have no reason to take you seriously. Do yourself a solid and find a way to not say anything else to me bro and watch what you do around here...following what others do around here will have your ass somewhere that you really dont wanna be no2.gif

bwhahahahahahaha.

THere's so much gold in that post, I don't even know where to start. lol
PalookaJoe
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 24 2011, 05:48 PM) *
I actually thought it was funny that PalookaJoe used that AV as well. It was just an AV, if it isn't her, should be no problem. No nudity, not offensive (unless you find that fat woman gross), just an AV.
I don't think the AV broke any rules, I think this was all just in good fun though, and PalookaJoe made it merrier by sporting one of those AV's as well.

at least someone understands.
Maxy
I don't like fat birds.

When my wife put on a few pounds I had to tell her straight....

She cried for months.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Maxy @ Oct 25 2011, 08:51 AM) *
I don't like fat birds.

When my wife put on a few pounds I had to tell her straight....

She cried for months.

Yet they say wisdom comes with age?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 24 2011, 05:48 PM) *

I thought it was for a sec, but it got deeper than that. But Nah Fitz, I dont find fat women offensive, lol.
STEVENSKI
Just a FYI Cshel. It is not considered cool to be quoting yourself in your sigature. Usually a quote put in a sign is a sign of the following.

A) Respect & props to a poster for their noted ability

or

cool.gif A mark of disrespect for a posters lack of ability.
Cshel86
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 24 2011, 06:19 PM) *
Just a FYI Cshel. It is not considered cool to be quoting yourself in your sigature. Usually a quote put in a sign is a sign of the following.

or

I will keep that in mind Stevenski, lol...
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 24 2011, 06:19 PM) *

or

with option A it's no wonder i made it there. wisdom like that could save a man's life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.