Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charting Manny Pacquiao's Future
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MaxPayne
Bob Arum, if anything, has done a masterful job of guiding Manny Pacquiao's career and thereby securing his legacy.

Now, you may be wondering, how is he doing a fantastic job of securing his legacy when Pacquiao is fighting questionable opposition under questionable arrangements ?

It's exactly that my friends. It's exactly that.

Pacquiao has repeatedly been matched up favorably against the right opponents at the right time. Practically all of these have been easy sales as events, as the other fighter has had a name and a fan base. Years from now, no one will bother arguing about the circumstances...they will simply say, he conquered Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hatton, Cotto, De La Hoya and Margarito. Over time, the details seem to get lost in translation.

The idea at this point in time is and has been for years, to generate the greatest revenue at the lowest possible cost. So what does this mean ?

Once Pacquiao breaks down and disposes of a past-his-best Juan Manuel Marquez, there will be rumors of cursory discussions between Top Rank and Golden Boy, but that's all that will come of it.

Next year, sometime in the second quarter of 2012, Manny Pacquiao will face Timothy Bradley.

Bob Arum will contend that Floyd Mayweather's legal troubles and impending court dates are too much of a hindrance..."Mayweather should have bigger things on his mind than boxing", Arum will say.

Bradley will be sold as the anti-Mayweather. A polite, well spoken black guy, a family guy trying to do things "the right way". He will tow the company line about the honor of fighting Pacquiao but expressing quiet confidence that he has what it takes to win. They'll pump up his unbeaten record, and also the idea that he's taken all comers at 140 lbs.

He will then step into the ring and be overwhelmed by Pacquiao. He's a fighter with limited, unrefined offense who simply will not be able to capitalize on mistakes Pacquiao makes in the ring. Pacquiao will tear him apart from distance using angles and combinations that Bradley has likely never seen before. What few shots Bradley will land, will have no stopping power whatsoever, a shortcoming evident from his anemic KO %. Pacquiao will collect $25 MM for the fight and be on his way.

A similar cycle of events will follow in cursory discussions taking place with Golden Boy, and once again, nothing resulting.

In the fall/early winter of 2012, Manny Pacquiao will step into the ring to face Brandon Rios.

Rios, at 5'9" and 26 years of age, and can easily gain the weight to jump up to true welterweight. The fight could even be fought at around a 144 lbs. catch-weight if necessary.

"He's going to see the fire that only a Mexican fighter can bring into a ring", Rios will say. "I'm going to dedicate the beating I give Pacquiao to my close friend Antonio Margarito. This is about revenge."

They'll play up the angle of Rios being an all-offense, bright, young Mexican American fighter. A guy who is basically a younger version of Pacquiao given the way he fights. Can the aging master put away a mirror image of himself in the twilight of his career ?

The answer will be a resounding yes. Pacquiao will be 34 at that point, but will still pack too much speed, power and punch resilience for Rios, who true to his word, will come out and try to put Pacquiao to the sword. Unfortunately for him, it's simply not possible for him to stand toe to toe with Pacquiao and expect to win a slugfest. Pacquiao will take some damage, but will stop the younger man in the middle to late rounds.

2 consecutive $25 MM paydays for Pacquiao, and a windfall of in-house revenue for Arum and Top Rank. The business case here is not only compelling, but only an idiot would not try to make this scenario happen. This is what is in Arum's head, when he thinks of 2012 and Manny Pacquiao.

Finally, in 2013, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather will finally meet in a battle that will destroy every pay-per-view record that exists. By then, there will well and truly be no opponents left to fight.

Sergio Martinez will either have been beaten by Floyd Mayweather or will decide that the precipitous drop to welterweight or a nearby catch-weight would forever damage him as a fighter (see Roy Jones Jr.). Mike Jones, who is a Top Rank fighter, is a bit of an X factor here, but given that he currently has no fan base, no elite fights on his resume and is simply not a sell-able fighter, he may not be ready at that point to step into the limelight. He may also have taken a loss by 2013, which would further limit his marketability.

In the 2013 super fight for the ages, Floyd Mayweather will beat Manny Pacquiao by decision, negating Pacquiao's angles with movement, slipping his jab and countering repeatedly with straight right hands and short left hooks and tying Pacquiao up repeatedly, thereby breaking his rhythm.

Pacquiao will take the loss and will either retire from boxing or will do a final farewell fight in the Philippines before moving on to a career as a full time politician.

His legacy ? It will remain largely in tact. Arum and company will leave the entire saga with a final word: "Just as Sugar Ray Leonard may have waited for Marvin Hagler to age and slow down before fighting him, Mayweather delayed the fight for years, watching Pacquiao wear down and age due to his epic battles, before finally engaging Manny when he was a shadow of his former self. Had Mayweather faced Pacquiao in his prime, there could be only one result: a resounding victory for Manny."

______

That's my prediction, just looking at all the factors at play. Thoughts ?
un01
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 26 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Bradley will be sold as the anti-Mayweather. A polite, well spoken black guy, a family guy trying to do things "the right way".

______

i lol'ed when i read this
leonthegee
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 26 2011, 09:21 AM) *
Bob Arum, if anything, has done a masterful job of guiding Manny Pacquiao's career and thereby securing his legacy.

Now, you may be wondering, how is he doing a fantastic job of securing his legacy when Pacquiao is fighting questionable opposition under questionable arrangements ?

Pacquiao has repeatedly been matched up favorably against the right opponents at the right time. Practically all of these have been easy sales as events, as the other fighter has had a name and a fan base. Years from now, no one will bother arguing about the circumstances...they will simply say, he conquered Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hatton, Cotto, De La Hoya and Margarito. Over time, the details seem to get lost in translation.

The idea at this point in time is and has been for years, to generate the greatest revenue at the lowest possible cost. So what does this mean ?

Once Pacquiao breaks down and disposes of a past-his-best Juan Manuel Marquez, there will be rumors of cursory discussions between Top Rank and Golden Boy, but that's all that will come of it.

Next year, sometime in the second quarter of 2012, Manny Pacquiao will face Timothy Bradley.
Bob Arum will contend that Floyd Mayweather's legal troubles and impending court dates are too much of a hindrance..."Mayweather should have bigger things on his mind than boxing", Arum will say.

Bradley will be sold as the anti-Mayweather. A polite, well spoken black guy, a family guy trying to do things "the right way". He will tow the company line about the honor of fighting Pacquiao but expressing quiet confidence that he has what it takes to win. They'll pump up his unbeaten record, and also the idea that he's taken all comers at 140 lbs.

He will then step into the ring and be overwhelmed by Pacquiao. He's a fighter with limited, unrefined offense who simply will not be able to capitalize on mistakes Pacquiao makes in the ring. Pacquiao will tear him apart from distance using angles and combinations that Bradley has likely never seen before. What few shots Bradley will land, will have no stopping power whatsoever, a shortcoming evident from his anemic KO %. Pacquiao will collect $25 MM for the fight and be on his way.

A similar cycle of events will follow in cursory discussions taking place with Golden Boy, and once again, nothing resulting.

In the fall/early winter of 2012, Manny Pacquiao will step into the ring to face Brandon Rios.

Rios, at 5'9" and 26 years of age, and can easily gain the weight to jump up to true welterweight. The fight could even be fought at around a 144 lbs. catch-weight if necessary.

"He's going to see the fire that only a Mexican fighter can bring into a ring", Rios will say. "I'm going to dedicate the beating I give Pacquiao to my close friend Antonio Margarito. This is about revenge."

They'll play up the angle of Rios being an all-offense, bright, young Mexican American fighter. A guy who is basically a younger version of Pacquiao given the way he fights. Can the aging master put away a mirror image of himself in the twilight of his career ?

The answer will be a resounding yes. Pacquiao will be 34 at that point, but will still pack too much speed, power and punch resilience for Rios, who true to his word, will come out and try to put Pacquiao to the sword. Unfortunately for him, it's simply not possible for him to stand toe to toe with Pacquiao and expect to win a slugfest. Pacquiao will take some damage, but will stop the younger man in the middle to late rounds.

2 consecutive $25 MM paydays for Pacquiao, and a windfall of in-house revenue for Arum and Top Rank. The business case here is not only compelling, but only an idiot would not try to make this scenario happen. This is what is in Arum's head, when he thinks of 2012 and Manny Pacquiao.

Finally, in 2013, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather will finally meet in a battle that will destroy every pay-per-view record that exists. By then, there will well and truly be no opponents left to fight.

Sergio Martinez will either have been beaten by Floyd Mayweather or will decide that the precipitous drop to welterweight or a nearby catch-weight would forever damage him as a fighter (see Roy Jones Jr.). Mike Jones, who is a Top Rank fighter, is a bit of an X factor here, but given that he currently has no fan base, no elite fights on his resume and is simply not a sell-able fighter, he may not be ready at that point to step into the limelight. He may also have taken a loss by 2013, which would further limit his marketability.

In the 2013 super fight for the ages, Floyd Mayweather will beat Manny Pacquiao by decision, negating Pacquiao's angles with movement, slipping his jab and countering repeatedly with straight right hands and short left hooks and tying Pacquiao up repeatedly, thereby breaking his rhythm.

Pacquiao will take the loss and will either retire from boxing or will do a final farewell fight in the Philippines before moving on to a career as a full time politician.

His legacy ? It will remain largely in tact. Arum and company will leave the entire saga with a final word: "Just as Sugar Ray Leonard may have waited for Marvin Hagler to age and slow down before fighting him, Mayweather delayed the fight for years, watching Pacquiao wear down and age due to his epic battles, before finally engaging Manny when he was a shadow of his former self. Had Mayweather faced Pacquiao in his prime, there could be only one result: a resounding victory for Manny."

______

loved the Brandon Rios quote
thehype

I think your thoughts are 99% accurate...the 1% being the off-chance that Miguel Cotto looks spectacular against Antonio Margarito (which I don't think he will at all). If that's the case, Arum will likely do a rematch between Pacquiao and Cotto at another catchweight of 150 (Arum will say Cotto's performance the first time was affected by his struggle to make the previous catchweight) before making the fight with Rios. But year, from what I'm hearing from what sources at HBO, Bob Arum already has Manny Pacquiao's next 3 fights lined up....and NONE of them involve Floyd Mayweather.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 26 2011, 04:06 PM) *
I think your thoughts are 99% accurate...the 1% being the off-chance that Miguel Cotto looks spectacular against Antonio Margarito (which I don't think he will at all). If that's the case, Arum will likely do a rematch between Pacquiao and Cotto at another catchweight of 150 (Arum will say Cotto's performance the first time was affected by his struggle to make the previous catchweight) before making the fight with Rios. But year, from what I'm hearing from what sources at HBO, Bob Arum already has Manny Pacquiao's next 3 fights lined up....and NONE of them involve Floyd Mayweather.

Thanks Ben, the kind words are much appreciated.

Exactly, that's the other contingency, and which is exactly why I'm tempted to get the Cotto - Cheato PPV, although the idea of putting my hard earned money into Arum's pocket makes me want to throw up. With Mike Jones and Brandon Rios fighting, I'd also like to evaluate them. I agree entirely with the notion that Pacquiao's next few fight contracts are basically signatures away from execution.
thehype
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 26 2011, 04:43 PM) *
Thanks Ben, the kind words are much appreciated.

Exactly, that's the other contingency, and which is exactly why I'm tempted to get the Cotto - Cheato PPV, although the idea of putting my hard earned money into Arum's pocket makes me want to throw up. With Mike Jones and Brandon Rios fighting, I'd also like to evaluate them. I agree entirely with the notion that Pacquiao's next few fight contracts are basically signatures away from execution.

LOL. Agreed on putting money into Arum's pockets, but at least in this one particular case, you'll probably get a good card.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 26 2011, 04:46 PM) *
LOL. Agreed on putting money into Arum's pockets, but at least in this one particular case, you'll probably get a good card.

Sigh...I guess I'll wait till fight night to make the call. I hear Rios fights are fun to watch, so that'll be interesting.

Another thought in this whole situation is, given that Manny wants to retire in 2013, exactly how many fights does he have left ? If possibly 3 fights are already lined up, is there room for a 4th, especially if he wants to finish his career early in 2013 and not by the end of the year ?

Cshel86
Bradley will be sold as the anti-Mayweather. A polite, well spoken black guy, a family guy trying to do things "the right way".

Lmao! I couldn't help but to put this out there! laugh.gif

Arum is not the only guy to this...EVERY promoter does it, but in their own fashion. Making sense of fights and making the underdog seems as if he has a chance...is the key to promoting it, well, it is promotion. Hell, FMJ fought JMM, which the qualified observers labeled JMM "harmless as a baby's ass". Floyd and his team made sense of it...and all it takes is one small detail that will start a wildfire. Floyd simply stated that he believed Marquez actually beat Pacquiao both times, "So Im fighting the guy that actually beat Pacquiao twice." Thats all it took!

People quickly forgot that JMM never fought above lightweight, and he had no chance of even getting to Floyd. The wildfire came after Floyd won so decisively, and it made people believe that he would beat Pac just as easy. As a matter of fact, people thought that he was gonna fight Pac next. Thats how Arum did with Pac, he made people believe that Cotto had a puncher's chance, then he threw Clottry in the mix since most people believed he beat Cotto (including me, slightly), then he finished the year off with Margarito...the "big threat". Margarito was about 5 inches taller than Manny and outweighed him by about 17 lbs on fight night.

Describing Margarito's "monster physique advantage" plus adding his pressure fighting style, made it look like it was gonna be a long night for Pac. People instantly forgot about the 150 lb catchweight that probably hurt Margarito (though he signed for the fight). Hell, Ortiz had a puncher's chance against Floyd, seeing how he embarrassed Berto and how much younger he was than Floyd. Folks forgot how much a mental midget Ortiz was and the possible frustration he may have had to endure...which eventually got the best of him. Then Floyd 1-upped Pac's record by reiterating the fact that he fights guys coming off of big wins, he also said that he wont be "moving around as much" so it seemed as if Ortiz would have a slugger's advantage, then he mentioned he was getting older, but let's not forget the big one..."And yes, Pacquiao you're next". Small details start big wildfires...called promotion.
mgrover
if i was arum and trying to make the most money i could, i would too. funny how mayweather can fight a hungry new young champion like ortiz but pacman cant do the same with bradley or rios because thats just soo wrong. thats sarcasm btw.
Mafiajoey
99.999999% Dead On!!! Except Pac won't make 25 Million for anything... after Arum maybe 12....

And he will KO JMM, Bradley & Rios within 2-3 rounds

He won't fight Floyd and blame it on one of his million excuses..... Unless hes piss poor... in this case they fight and he gets KO'd cause he won't have the money for the HGH and Roids and special shakes not to mention testing positive... This will be his 2nd fight off the juice....

Look at his head and legs... LOL Crampiing legs all the time LOL ROIDS!! His heads must CRAMP TOO LOL LOL
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 26 2011, 07:01 PM) *
if i was arum and trying to make the most money i could, i would too. funny how mayweather can fight a hungry new young champion like ortiz but pacman cant do the same with bradley or rios because thats just soo wrong. thats sarcasm btw.

Thats exactly what Arum's doing...cant remember if I mentioned that, maybe not. As you can see...he's already got all of Pac's fights lined up and Im sure he's gonna make as money as he can off of all of them. Why fight Floyd for one big payday, when he can schedule at least 2 a year, and blow them up?

If Floyd and Manny fought for a 50/50 split, of course the purse is gonna be huge, but Arum is only getting 24-30 percent (somewhere around there) of Pac's 50%...so it looks like he will make more if Manny fights guys and gets the bigger split of the money...Im guessing around a 60/40 or a 70/30 split of the purse for Pac, then Bob gets his off top.
Mafiajoey
I was a member on Saddo before being banned... a member for 9-10yrs...

If you ever posted this they would ban you for life... they are Pac nut lickers.. you can't even have an opposite view or opinion and if you like Floyd at all your down the drain and banned...
Cshel86
QUOTE (Mafiajoey @ Oct 26 2011, 09:53 PM) *
I was a member on Saddo before being banned... a member for 9-10yrs...

If you ever posted this they would ban you for life... they are Pac nut lickers.. you can't even have an opposite view or opinion and if you like Floyd at all your down the drain and banned...

Were you banned for being an idiot? Just curious...
MaxPayne
Arum's Usual Rhetoric and Freddie Roach's Interesting Admission

BSPN article which shows old man Arum doing his usual media spin about Mayweather having no chin and fearing Pacquiao's right hand.

Roach says something interesting though...Manny apparently has 2 years and 4-5 fights left in him. I suppose that gives us some hope...once Manny gets through Bradley, Rios and possibly Cotto at 150, there might be room for a final showdown with Floyd.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 27 2011, 12:06 PM) *
Arum's Usual Rhetoric and Freddie Roach's Interesting Admission

BSPN article which shows old man Arum doing his usual media spin about Mayweather having no chin and fearing Pacquiao's right hand.

Roach says something interesting though...Manny apparently has 2 years and 4-5 fights left in him. I suppose that gives us some hope...once Manny gets through Bradley, Rios and possibly Cotto at 150, there might be room for a final showdown with Floyd.

Wow! Lol! Poor ESPN, they are so out of the loop that it's not even funny, smh. They talked for 4 minutes, and nothing useful came out of it. The right hand Bob? C'mon, if anything he could've pushed the southpaw theory. Pac's right hand has gotten better over the years, and was impressive in the Diaz fight and the Hatton fight!

I like Skip Bayless for some odd reason, and I will continue to, but its obvious that he knows nothing about the sport. He was definitely the squeeky wheel in this situation, and if anything, this session made ESPN look horrible...hell, where they could've at least brought Rafael into the convo. dntknw.gif
jlupi
regardless of the fault (i put it on may and arum), the fight is already 2 years past do. if it comes in 2 yrs both will be well past their primes.
Cshel86
QUOTE (jlupi @ Oct 28 2011, 09:11 AM) *
regardless of the fault (i put it on may and arum), the fight is already 2 years past do. if it comes in 2 yrs both will be well past their primes.

I honestly believe that they are both letting the fight build...and doing a pretty good job of fighting everybody else and use each other's name to build the fight. I agree, if it goes on too much longer, then they will both be past their primes...but, if they are both past their primes and STILL fight each other and each other ONLY, then Im sure the public will still be interested.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 26 2011, 12:21 PM) *

______

Will I win the lotto? Are their aliens? I'm joking great post.
My question is... will Manny lose his fan base if he has three fights ahead of May. Clearly the media can not be that dumb and continually point to May as the issue with this fight not happening. I winder how Top Rank will sale three possibly two fights without May being constantly thrown into the mix? Will the public realize that it is not FMJ but Arum? What if they can't sell the Bradley fight and Rios, will the public really buy that? May's only option to silence his credits will to either give the Loud Mouth of Across the Pond Khan a shot or Sergio. I would rather see FMJ beat the crap out of Paul Williams or since Clottely is coming back maybe him. Every Pac fan points out the fact that May ducked Joshua. Laughable.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Oct 31 2011, 11:56 PM) *
Will I win the lotto? Are their aliens? I'm joking great post.
My question is... will Manny lose his fan base if he has three fights ahead of May. Clearly the media can not be that dumb and continually point to May as the issue with this fight not happening. I winder how Top Rank will sale three possibly two fights without May being constantly thrown into the mix? Will the public realize that it is not FMJ but Arum? What if they can't sell the Bradley fight and Rios, will the public really buy that? May's only option to silence his credits will to either give the Loud Mouth of Across the Pond Khan a shot or Sergio. I would rather see FMJ beat the crap out of Paul Williams or since Clottely is coming back maybe him. Every Pac fan points out the fact that May ducked Joshua. Laughable.

The general public is always much less astute than we may want to give them credit for. Arum is also a master of the media spin, and understands how to sway the public opinion in his favor probably better than anyone in the sport at this point. He'll point out all kinds of things, from drug testing to revenue split, etc. etc.

Will the fight happen ? I'll say it will, but it's conditional upon Pacquiao finishing a series of Top Rank only opponents. Boxing insiders widely agree that Bradley has been promised the next shot at Pacquiao. I think Rios is the next most obvious option because he would be easy to build up by that point into a viable dance partner. The Martinez fight will never happen because Arum himself has squashed the possibility, believing Martinez is too big, etc. etc.

Floyd will have to fight Amir Khan next year. I don't think a Devon Alexander fight is very sell-able, although the winner of a 3 way set between Berto, Ortiz and Alexander could also be interesting as a future opponent. Mayweather could also fight Martinez, especially if he's cool with Sergio dropping only to 154 lbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.