Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamboa training with Emanuel Steward now
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkleft
http://www.boxingscene.com/yuriorkis-gambo...-trainer--45373

It sounds like this is due to his performance against De Leon.
Any thoughts?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 26 2011, 11:27 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/yuriorkis-gambo...-trainer--45373

Any thoughts?

What was wrong w/ his performance against De Leon?
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 27 2011, 12:27 AM) *

Exactly what was wrong with his performance against De Leon? He pretty much took his time with De Leon, its obvious that he could've gotten him out of there early, though De Leon is no pushover. De Leon didn't look awful in that fight, though his punches were and broadcasted, and he couldn't match Gamboa's speed...he made it as much of a fight as he could.

Gamboa is good fighter, and does make mistakes, but his last fight wasn't the best example to use. Now if you want to bring up a shakey fight, then I would expect to hear the Salido fight somewhere in your argument. His mistakes were obvious in that fight, and Salido made him pay for them, though he didn't look all that great that night. Gamboa was out of position several times in that fight, but still pulled it off.
MaxPayne
Gamboa looks like a good fighter and an intimidating force in his division, but something seems to be missing. I'm not sure what it is, or maybe my expectations are too high since I keep hearing the dude's name. Maybe the addition of a Hall of Fame trainer can add that missing element, but the trainer - boxer relationship is more about chemistry. Steward has also been dropped by Chad Dawson and Cotto, so who knows ?
thehype
I think the problem with Steward is that he isn't quite as "hands on" with his fighters...meaning usually, James Ali Bashir does the training of Steward's fighter and he usually comes in during the last 4 or 5 weeks to polish off the game plan. I think the fighters you mentioned, Chad Dawson and Miguel Cotto, weren't happy with that and felt that he should be devoting more of his time to their camps. I don't think it's going to be any different with Gamboa. They'll probably be together for 1 or 2 fights, but after that, he'll probably get rid of Steward as well.
Cshel86
Dang I didn't even know that. I was thinking that Steward was at camp with them the whole time, but my dumbass watches HBO boxing waaay too much to not have recognized that Steward's on there quite often, lol.
checkleft
I said it sounds like they split because of the de Leon fight in the article, I never said they split because of the fight.
But I admit I was a little disappointed that fight, he seemed so defensive against a guy broner had no problem with standing in front of and counter punching.. after that fight I don't think that fighting juanma is such a bad idea, it would probably turn out to be a good fight.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 27 2011, 12:00 PM) *
I said it sounds like they split because of the de Leon fight in the article, I never said they split because of the fight.
But I admit I was a little disappointed that fight, he seemed so defensive against a guy broner had no problem with standing in front of and counter punching.. after that fight I don't think that fighting juanma is such a bad idea, it would probably turn out to be a good fight.

Okay, I'm tracking. My fault for misinterpreting. Like Cshel, I thought it was a pretty good, tamed performance. He's progressing and more importantly, he's maturing. In addition, w/ a guy like De Leon, awkwardness and all, you don't want caught by that big wind up left of his. True, Broner fought him differently and looked pretty good doing it. That being said, maybe Broner isn't as "chinny" as Yuri has been in the past.

All in all, I don't think Steward will do much to nor for Gamboa. Like Hype has already said, he'll more than likely be rid of him after a few fights. Seems to be the pattern w/ Manny and fighters, sans Wlad Klitschko
checkleft
Yes yuri does seem a little chinny. But I can't picture him with Gamboa, I figured him for more of a roach fighter
Cshel86
Hell, Broner didn't look all that good against De Leon, lol. It wasn't as much of what De Leon was doing, but it was more of the wrong things Broner was doing, and the right things that he wasn't doing enough of. He was a bit too flashy, though his counter punches helped him. For a guy as slow as De Leon, Broner should've landed waaay more than he did in that fight.

Fact is, De Leon is going to try whatever he needs, in order to win, but he's just too damn slow. Notice, in the Broner fight, he was trying to step on Broner's foot in order to slow him down and land something. In the Gamboa fight, he tried to be a bit faster and land with precision. He did his best to stalk Gamboa and tried to up his defense, he didn't look too bad, but his lack speed just kills it for him.
mrchitown
I'm 50/50 on this move. It's a chance for both men to dispel certain things about them. I like Gamboa's style and I hope Manny doesn't tinker with it too much. Only time will tell what comes out of this, but I'm hoping it's good things
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Oct 28 2011, 12:37 AM) *
I'm 50/50 on this move. It's a chance for both men to dispel certain things about them. I like Gamboa's style and I hope Manny doesn't tinker with it too much. Only time will tell what comes out of this, but I'm hoping it's good things

If Gamboa's willing to stick with Steward, then he'll be okay. Other than that, he may have to go through a few more trainers before he finds home, typical though. Whoever he works with, should remain focusing on his technique and find him some challenging sparring partners...because his competition is gonna get stiffer in the near future...hopefully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.