Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.25 Million Buys Official - Mayweather-Ortiz 2nd highest grossing non-heavyweight fight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
thehype
That's the answer. Now what's the questions?

D-MARV
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 28 2011, 09:56 AM) *
That's the answer. Now what's the questions?

What are the final PPV numbers for May-Ortiz?
thehype
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Oct 28 2011, 10:06 AM) *
What are the final PPV numbers for May-Ortiz?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Cshel86

I'll take Mayweather/Ortiz for 1000....
MaxPayne
Never doubted it for a second. The 1.25 MM to 1.3 MM figures were absolutely logical. What's staggering is the total revenue it generated. Big ups to all the people involved for pulling off a great promotion.
thehype
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 28 2011, 10:15 AM) *
I'll take Mayweather/Ortiz for 1000....

DAILY DOUBLE

HazConvictedFelonMane
It's clear that the people who were on here talking about 850k are the people who's vision is jaded by hatred. It's cool, I understand. The logic of the situation is that Floyd has upwards of 1.3 twitter followers. You have to think that those people would have no problem ordering that PPV. He announced the fight to 1.3 million people on twitter. Take away 100,000 people who would be fight pooling, and you have the total tally right there. The haters just want Floyd's PPV's to tank. They want Floyd in jail. I know it makes them hate him even more when those things don't happen. LMAO @ haters. Were you expecting something different?
leonthegee
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 28 2011, 06:34 AM) *
DAILY DOUBLE

For a thousand Mr Hype, who is boxing cash cow? Da da da da da da da. da da da da da dadadada. da da da da da. da. dadada da da. dom dom. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Pactards got to be burning right now.
Cshel86
Hahahaha!!! Daily Double! The next time you watch Jeopardy, check out those silly ass looks on the person's face when they choose a Daily Double, lol. Its always worth a laugh!

The real question is, how many will Mayweather & Pacquiao do? If Floyd and Oscar did around 2.4M (correct me if Im wrong), and the WHOLE freakin' world is dying to see this Pacquiao fight, then I just want to hear your actual estimation.
thehype
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 28 2011, 11:04 AM) *
Hahahaha!!! Daily Double! The next time you watch Jeopardy, check out those silly ass looks on the person's face when they choose a Daily Double, lol. Its always worth a laugh!

The real question is, how many will Mayweather & Pacquiao do? If Floyd and Oscar did around 2.4M (correct me if Im wrong), and the WHOLE freakin' world is dying to see this Pacquiao fight, then I just want to hear your actual estimation.

We'll never know because the fight will never happen, but if I had to guess, I'd say about the same or maybe 2.75 million. I'm just not convinced that the fight is that much more of a bigger or more anticipated event than Mayweather-De La Hoya. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone wants to see the fight...but hey, everyone wanted to see Mayweather-De La Hoya too.
wolterb
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Oct 28 2011, 10:46 AM) *
It's clear that the people who were on here talking about 850k are the people who's vision is jaded by hatred. It's cool, I understand. The logic of the situation is that Floyd has upwards of 1.3 twitter followers. You have to think that those people would have no problem ordering that PPV. He announced the fight to 1.3 million people on twitter. Take away 100,000 people who would be fight pooling, and you have the total tally right there. The haters just want Floyd's PPV's to tank. They want Floyd in jail. I know it makes them hate him even more when those things don't happen. LMAO @ haters. Were you expecting something different?

agreed - lots of puritan rhetoric and ideas mixed with some of the old american 1950s morales...i.e. "he is a loud mouth!" "his defensive style makes him a coward!"

i love hearing people making the claim that this or that is a stain on boxing, or is what is hurting boxing... this is a claim that has been made since boxing became a mainstream spectator sport. jack johnsons style was described as "lazy" and "cowardly".

listen to some of the interviews before the liston-clay II bout...white journalists and spectators talking about how ali's style was a detriment to boxing (or was it his "loudmouth"?). lol, best thing that can be said is that those people's grandchildren now are buying up ali merchandise, enjoy the historical aspect and relevance of ali, and use some of ali's most canonized statements in colloquial conversation

same probably will happen to mayweather, i imagine. and this is why -

mayweather is completely relevant to our era...he is a solid anti-hero. He has alot of the behaviors and characteristics of the main problems with the u.s. economy - excess wealth, lots of spending, too much hubris...except mayweather is unlike the bankers, ceo's, and politicians in that he did not INHERIT his wealth, he is black, and he associates with the black culture characteristic of impoverished urban areas

and just to keep relevant with the jeopardy theme:
what is - historical perspective of floyd mayweather jr
thehype
QUOTE (wolterb @ Oct 28 2011, 11:20 AM) *
and just to keep relevant with the jeopardy theme:
what is - historical perspective of floyd mayweather jr

LOL. Good one. And good points.
ks1
So where's that clown (deval?) who's been running his mouth since the fight was over about the numbers?

<Crickets>
KookedKrack

All jokes aside that number is insane when you take into account Ortiz has never been on a ppv before.
Cshel86
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 28 2011, 11:16 AM) *
We'll never know because the fight will never happen, but if I had to guess, I'd say about the same or maybe 2.75 million. I'm just not convinced that the fight is that much more of a bigger or more anticipated event than Mayweather-De La Hoya. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone wants to see the fight...but hey, everyone wanted to see Mayweather-De La Hoya too.

Im starting to think it wont either, but appreciating the other fights in the sport, keeps the ship sailing.

QUOTE (ks1 @ Oct 28 2011, 11:48 AM) *
So where's that clown (deval?) who's been running his mouth since the fight was over about the numbers?

<Crickets>

Ha! He's probably somewhere playing "pocket pool" while watching from afar as little kids play in the park...the name Deevel gives me the idea that he's "registered" somewhere, if you get my drift. Hell, he may be on suicide watch somewhere after these numbers surfaced. Who knows dntknw.gif
checkleft
I don't really care about the numbers, but what happened to all the people talking about how bad the numbers were or something like that?
wolterb
^ truth happened lol.
and in typical fashion people will be less interested in the actual numbers than the presumed figures because the actual numbers do not fit with their perception of how things "should" be lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Oct 28 2011, 01:12 PM) *
^ truth happened lol.
and in typical fashion people will be less interested in the actual numbers than the presumed figures because the actual numbers do not fit with their perception of how things "should" be lol

+1
zucrates
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Oct 28 2011, 10:20 AM) *
Never doubted it for a second. The 1.25 MM to 1.3 MM figures were absolutely logical. What's staggering is the total revenue it generated. Big ups to all the people involved for pulling off a great promotion.

Hell yeah I agree that's why you can't believe the media when it is about Floyd because it's so many targets on his head. I Wonder why people just don't get off his nuts. "Can't Knock My Hustle" JayZ's Voice Keep making that paper Floyd but Fight Pac Win and get out the game b4 they set you up go out great! clapping.gif
MontoyaWA
Doesn't matter what the numbers are, but I can honestly tell you that Mayweather will never get a PPV dollar from me again. I purchased that fight, and I feel like a complete sucker. Even if him and Manny get it on, I still won't purchase that bullshyt, overdue fight...
thehype
QUOTE (MontoyaWA @ Oct 28 2011, 01:40 PM) *
Doesn't matter what the numbers are, but I can honestly tell you that Mayweather will never get a PPV dollar from me again. I purchased that fight, and I feel like a complete sucker. Even if him and Manny get it on, I still won't purchase that bullshyt, overdue fight...

I hear what you're saying, but honestly, it was actually a decent card and Ortiz was taking a nice little beatdown before he started with the head-ramming. The 1-2 at the end stopped the abuse a little sooner than most were hoping, but I don't necessarily blame Mayweather for that. Honestly, I'd much rather pay to see something like that than pay to see another fight like Pacquiao vs. Mosley.

Not really sure I believe you about not buying Mayweather vs. Pacquiao though. After waiting so long for it to happen, how can you NOT buy it? Unless, of course, you're expecting it to be a lopsided unanimous decision for Mayweather. LOL.

Actually, I can see you not buying it....but I'll bet you watch it.

laugh.gif
Hotsauce
fighthype sources>>>>
Hotsauce
danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
Those who wrote Mayweather-Ortiz did 850,000 buys or some other bogus number had no facts, just rumor, to back up their fraudulent reporting

Mafiajoey
Pac's ball suckers and use that 850K for the Pac VS JMM.. you know that up coming fight with no relevance... just like Pac VS Mosley VS Margo VS Cotto VS Hatton VS Oscar..

So Pac fights Vic Ortiz next instead of taking a test then Pac and Arum keep convincing the REATARDED MEDIA SUCH AS RAN FAF AND LARRY MERCH to keep asking Pac why Floyd ducks him instead of asking.. When u take test china man?
checkHook
Now the detractors will say that HBO didn't release the numbers themselves and we can't take GB's word just like we didn't take Arum's word. Anything to keep the fantasy alive. HBO usually releases the numbers officially so when that arrives, I wonder what will be the next excuse?
mrchitown
I'm more surprised by the total revenue it generated. Nonetheless, a great victory for Floyd against the naysayers
jlupi
All jokes aside that number is insane when you take into account Ortiz has never been on a ppv before>>>>

a good undercard did not hurt. props for that.

but I stand by the fact that these #s are ridiculous this was never a PPV fight, neither is pac marquez. But keep buying them and wondering why the big fights dont get done and the sport continues on the road to the river styx
Snoop
Still don't understand all this talk about it being a bad PPV. Each undercard could have been a headliner for a WCB or BAD on it's own. Headliner turned a bit sour, but I didn't feel like I wasted my money in the slightest. There have been FAR worse PPVs in recent memory.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 28 2011, 09:34 AM) *
DAILY DOUBLE

LMAO!!!!!!
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 29 2011, 05:42 AM) *
LMAO!!!!!!

I'll take a two piece & a bisque, with gravey sauce please
Cshel86
As its been said before, those are good numbers against a guy who's never headlined a PPV. If he can do this with Ortiz, then he has a few more options to choose from to still make some good money!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 28 2011, 11:11 PM) *
As its been said before, those are good numbers against a guy who's never headlined a PPV. If he can do this with Ortiz, then he has a few more options to choose from to still make some good money!

who besides khan?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Oct 29 2011, 12:51 AM) *
who besides khan?

Hell, we will see after Khan. Who knew that JMM was gonna be an opponent for FMJ? It happened though. Im just guessing that whatever fighter has a decent streak or a very impressive performance would end up making the cut sooner or later dntknw.gif
checkleft
I think he makes these kinds of numbers against Khan sergio or imagine a Canelo fight. Still he could probably pull these numbers with a berto or a Alexander after a decent win.
jlupi
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Oct 29 2011, 12:51 AM) *
who besides khan?

If there is no viable PPV then it shouldn't be there. And if it is the buying public should show them it doesn't belong. All this bull about fighters thinking they are a "ppv fighter" is contributing to the death of the sport. PPV should be reserved for the special fighters IN special fights. but, alas ppv has become more of a norm and people are becoming numb to the charges and hypnotized by names so boxing will just die sooner. All the hype, the movies ect are about MMA. thats where the demo is. A boxer is no longer the "baddest man on the planet"

Antonio Tarver
Good numbers. Expected more but still good.
RyanTical
These are the numbers I would assume Mayweather could achieve against the following Boxers.

Sergio Martinez (more if it's at 160lbs strap)
1.0 - 1.25 Million

Canelo Alvarez (more if it's at 154 and a strap)
1.3-1.4 Million

Amir Khan (doesn't matter)
1.25-1.3 Million

I know, I know.. Mayweather will never go up to 160 to fight Sergio. Mayweather fighting Sergio at 154 still won't appease the fans when it comes to "getting over" Pacquiao because Mayweather had to "bring him down" to a lower weight and not fighting him at his optimum weight. I understand that it's no worse than Pacquiao asking Sergio to come down to 147-- but you have to understand who we are dealing with here. These Pactards are the worse type of fan, they severely outweigh the Flomo's in the ignorance department. Pactards will always be heard more than the Flomo's-- Skip Bayless, Michael Wilbon are all Pactards. A the bad part is that they are all on TV, and it seems anytime someone attempts to be on Floyd's side they know NOTHING about Floyd's history to create a strong defense for the man. Steven A. Smith did the most horrible job defending Mayweather.

I know for a fact I would bury Michael Wilbon and Skip Bayless with all their Pacquiao nonsense.
Allmenjoi8
Those are good numbers for any fighter. I bet the moment Pac and JMM fight is over everyone will be looking at the PPV numbers. They should do a better job since JMM is a known fighter and a future Hall of Fame inductee. If the fight does considerably better they will say Manny (if he and Floyd) ever fight will deserve the bigger purse. I wonder how Arum will sale Pac fighting Bradley next?

Good numbers May and Ortiz. I think he can gross more with Canelo or Khan. In all, it would of been a great fight if Ortiz did not spear FMJ with head but oh well.
Hops
Finally. An official HBO figures. I'm just wonderin' whether gross amount would be more important than net income/profit.

Arum must be laughing at the emphasis on "gross".
mgrover
i wonder if any fighter in mayweathers or pacs position took time off like that and still pulled off those numbers? someone said something about killing boxing, its bad ppvs that are doing it, this wasnt a bad one, just a sour one, i was quite enjoying ortiz taking a beating till he lost it.
Cshel86
People may not be getting the fights that they want out of the sport, but it appreciating the fights that are being made is the key. Hell, Mayweather could've not fought for the rest of the year, and folks would've complained. Being the fact that he did decide to fight this year, and then had great undercards fights on the card, was an event in itself.

Yeah some fights are dull, but thats all part of the game. Hopkins/Dawson was terrible for the two rounds that it lasted, but hey, the undercards didn't disappoint, so I didn't feel completely robbed out of my money.
MontoyaWA
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 28 2011, 11:56 AM) *
I hear what you're saying, but honestly, it was actually a decent card and Ortiz was taking a nice little beatdown before he started with the head-ramming. The 1-2 at the end stopped the abuse a little sooner than most were hoping, but I don't necessarily blame Mayweather for that. Honestly, I'd much rather pay to see something like that than pay to see another fight like Pacquiao vs. Mosley.

Not really sure I believe you about not buying Mayweather vs. Pacquiao though. After waiting so long for it to happen, how can you NOT buy it? Unless, of course, you're expecting it to be a lopsided unanimous decision for Mayweather. LOL.

Actually, I can see you not buying it....but I'll bet you watch it.

laugh.gif

I promise you I'll never buy another PPV boxing fight, but yeah I will watch, just won't be paying for it in any way. It kills me that this PPV was followed up the Dawson/Hopkins PPV, which I would have never considered purchasing, I just find it ironic...

I went against my better judgment paying $70 bucks for a PPV fight, but I honesestly thought this was going to be a good one. I think a lot a people forget how this whole card actually unfolded. Alvarez/Gomez fight was a complete dud as well, with a phantom stoppage. Vargas/Lopez was the best fight on the card, and that is the type of matchup I'd expect to see at my local state fair. Nothing special about the card when it was all said and done.

jlupi
What was interesting is that unlike almost all of these announcements, there was not a single mention of HBO Pay-Per-View (which distributed this card) or any comments from Mark Taffet from HBO PPV in this release. None of the pertinent HBO contacts were listed at the bottom of the release either. Let’s just say that this raised the eyebrows of everyone in boxing and that there are some interesting theories as to why they were left out (I think you can figure out what it is). One boxing insider told me flatly, “Without the network being involved in the announcement, it’s not official.”

I tried to get a comment from someone at HBO and was told by a spokesperson that the numbers put out were verified- but at the same time, they couldn’t go on the record.

Hey, they announced it and I have absolutely no reason to doubt them. None at all.

Steve Kim, Max Boxing
Cshel86
With Floyd doing numbers like 1.25M against Ortiz (which wasn't a PPV-worthy dance partner, though he had a puncher's chance), thats great leverage to use in negotiations for the Pac fight. dntknw.gif
jlupi
his undercard didnt hurt. a couple of popular mexicans are good for 3-400,000
Cshel86
QUOTE (jlupi @ Nov 3 2011, 04:32 PM) *
his undercard didnt hurt. a couple of popular mexicans are good for 3-400,000

+1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.