Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Article re. the return of Joshua Clottey
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
I know that calling Joshua Clottey a tomato can is a bit harsh but based on his last two fights he's now in the tomato can category.. Anyway, good article on FightHype re. Top Rank's punching bag, who I used to be a fan of before he made me ashamed to admit that I was a fan of his.
Cshel86
Clottey a tomato can??? I have to disagree with ya on this one. He stunk it up against Pacquiao, but he gave hell to everyone else he stepped in the ring with. He does have the tendency to not throw as much, which has caused him to lose fights in the past, but dude is still hell for most competitors.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 31 2011, 01:23 PM) *
Clottey a tomato can??? I have to disagree with ya on this one. He stunk it up against Pacquiao, but he gave hell to everyone else he stepped in the ring with. He does have the tendency to not throw as much, which has caused him to lose fights in the past, but dude is still hell for most competitors.

I used to be a big fan of Joshua Clottey's and alwys felt that he didn't get the respect that he deserved, but as mentioned in the article, his inexplicable letting off the hook of Miguel Cottto when he clearly had Cotto beaten and his hermit crab impression against Pacquaio made me lose a lot of respect for him. In spite of that, I do agree with the article and your comments that he can still be worth watching, but I don't have the same expectations for him now as I used to.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Oct 31 2011, 11:44 AM) *
I know that calling Joshua Clottey a tomato can is a bit harsh but based on his last two fights he's now in the tomato can category.. Anyway, good article on FightHype re. Top Rank's punching bag, who I used to be a fan of before he made me ashamed to admit that I was a fan of his.

I wouldn't call him a tomato can, but I would say he is no longer from Ghana, but now hails from "The Land of Wasted Opportunities". S/N: Other ex-pats, NOW living in TLOWO:

- Zab Judah
- Kermit Cintron
- Joan Guzman
- Vivian Harris
- David Haye

(seemingly) Applying for citizenship:

Devon Alexander
James Kirkland
Kelly Pavlik
Chad Dawson

To contact the aforementioned, write to:

226 My bad Lane
Dropped the Ball, Land of Wasted Opportunities, 6LC221

Cshel86
Cant argue with you on this one dntknw.gif Im still curious as to how he performs after being inactive for so long.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 31 2011, 02:23 PM) *
I wouldn't call him a tomato can, but I would say he is no longer from Ghana, but now hails from "The Land of Wasted Opportunities". S/N: Other ex-pats, NOW living in TLOWO:

- Zab Judah
- Kermit Cintron
- Joan Guzman
- Vivian Harris
- David Haye

(seemingly) Applying for citizenship:

Devon Alexander
James Kirkland
Kelly Pavlik
Chad Dawson

To contact the aforementioned, write to:

226 My bad Lane
Dropped the Ball, Land of Wasted Opportunities, 6LC221
Ha!
The Original MrFactor
What weight will he campaign at? I'd like to see him against Ortiz, Berto and the upper echelon of 147. He's still a solid opponent with a lot of potential. At 154, same thing. He can still fight and be very competitive with the top tier guys at 154. Just cause he goose egged against Pacquiao shouldn't be no shame in his game. Since Pac's been using, he's destroyed everyone he's been in the ring with. Clottey/Mosely would be decent. For the record, he should have gotten the nod against Cotto. That was boxing politics 101. Clottey has since learned what most cats from Ghana never seem to learn. Don't wince and grimace when you thin you've been fouled. Do like King Kong Agbeko, just take it and shit will work out. When you're a grimacer, you look like a bitch. People hate a bitch in a fight...
Cshel86
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Oct 31 2011, 08:34 PM) *
What weight will he campaign at? I'd like to see him against Ortiz, Berto and the upper echelon of 147. He's still a solid opponent with a lot of potential. At 154, same thing. He can still fight and be very competitive with the top tier guys at 154. Just cause he goose egged against Pacquiao shouldn't be no shame in his game. Since Pac's been using, he's destroyed everyone he's been in the ring with. Clottey/Mosely would be decent. For the record, he should have gotten the nod against Cotto. That was boxing politics 101. Clottey has since learned what most cats from Ghana never seem to learn. Don't wince and grimace when you thin you've been fouled. Do like King Kong Agbeko, just take it and shit will work out. When you're a grimacer, you look like a bitch. People hate a bitch in a fight...

He's set out to fight at 154 this time around. I was really doubting if he could make 147, being the fact that years ago, he was rehydrating to about 170 and a bit lower than that at times. I knew he wasn't gonna be able to make WW that much longer.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 31 2011, 07:45 PM) *
He's set out to fight at 154 this time around. I was really doubting if he could make 147, being the fact that years ago, he was rehydrating to about 170 and a bit lower than that at times. I knew he wasn't gonna be able to make WW that much longer.

Regardless of what weight he campaigns, here's to hoping he's not in there "modeling" any longer.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 31 2011, 09:39 PM) *
Regardless of what weight he campaigns, here's to hoping he's not in there "modeling" any longer.

Lmao! Cmon B! Give the man a chance! laugh.gif
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 31 2011, 08:52 PM) *
Lmao! Cmon B! Give the man a chance! laugh.gif

LOL...I am, I am. I like Clottey, no lie. He should've been an absolute beast at 147. Unfortunately, to me, he didn't seem to have it in his DNA, as evidence by his winning a dominant , but UD against Chico. While Chico had tremendous heart, there's no way he should've seen the end of that fight. That, right there, IMO, was a sign that we'd speak more of Clottey's potential rather than his accomplishments.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Oct 31 2011, 10:10 PM) *
LOL...I am, I am. I like Clottey, no lie. He should've been an absolute beast at 147. Unfortunately, to me, he didn't seem to have it in his DNA, as evidence by his winning a dominant , but UD against Chico. While Chico had tremendous heart, there's no way he should've seen the end of that fight. That, right there, IMO, was a sign that we'd speak more of Clottey's potential rather than his accomplishments.

Alright you got this one, because dude has done himself some injustice by simply not throwing after a few rounds. I will have to see how he does on the 19th, hopefully I can get a stream if possible, since its gonna be untelevised. Oh yeah, Chico had no business at welterweight, but thats another story.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 31 2011, 09:25 PM) *
Alright you got this one, because dude has done himself some injustice by simply not throwing after a few rounds. I will have to see how he does on the 19th, hopefully I can get a stream if possible, since its gonna be untelevised. Oh yeah, Chico had no business at welterweight, but thats another story.

Forgot to add Allan Green to the increasing lists of ex-pats, now taking up residence in TLOWO.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 3 2011, 07:20 PM) *
Forgot to add Allan Green to the increasing lists of ex-pats, now taking up residence in TLOWO.

Hahahaha!!! I will keep that TLOWO in mind man! You were spot on with the ones that you did name, lol. Allan Green was waste for real. I remember he was the man on Friday Night Fights, then he started fighting guys with pulses...and we all saw differently!
AlynK
i haven't been that interested in Joshua Clottey's return at all. i don't know why, he just doesn't really interest me but i'm trying to give him a chance. so on the 19th he's fighting Calvin Green right? is he a journeyman or a pretty decent fighter because i've never heard of him before.
Cshel86
QUOTE (AlynK @ Nov 4 2011, 06:16 PM) *
i haven't been that interested in Joshua Clottey's return at all. i don't know why, he just doesn't really interest me but i'm trying to give him a chance. so on the 19th he's fighting Calvin Green right? is he a journeyman or a pretty decent fighter because i've never heard of him before.

Aw shit, welcome back AlynK! I believe Calvin Green fought Sergio Mora on the RJJ/Hopkins II undercard...dont quote me on it just yet, but that may be him. I know for a fact, he fought Alfonso Gomez ths summer in Mexico though...he got his clock cleaned though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.