Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 Reasons Skip Bayless Knows Nothing About Boxing
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Sai
4 Reasons Why Skip Bayless Knows Nothing About Boxing

“Most People Don’t know shit about boxing!” Roger Mayweather’s motto has firmly been established its mindshare in the mental foyers of many die hard boxing fans house. Not only does this statement offer comedic fodder, it also is rooted in fact. Outside of the ring, the fans surround sport. The fan base is divided among casual and die hard alike.

Die hards tend to have a deeper knowledge of the events surrounding the sport and it’s history while casual fans are generally aware of what is presented to them in the package of promotional hype and it’s aftermath.

The counterparts usually have a source in common- sports analysts. Analysts are paid to “know” sports. But what happens when an analyst does not? I’m going to give you 3 reasons why Skip Bayless knows nothing about boxing.

1. Skip Bayless does not know PPV numbers

In attempt to produce a counterpoint to ESPN analyst Stephen A’s claim of Mayweather being the biggest draw in boxing, Bayless stated “he [Pacquiao] is at the least as big a draw as Mayweather.” Unfortunately Skip, you’re wrong. It is irrefutable that Floyd Mayweather is boxings biggest PPV draw. Mayweather has earned more PPV buys than every Pacquiao PPV event. At the most, Pacquiao is a runner up to Floyd in PPV sales. With Oscar De La Hoya, Floyd did S18.4 million. Pacquiao did $14.3. With Mosley, Floyd did $11.1 million while Pacquiao did $8.8. With Hatton, Floyd did $10.4 million while Pacquiao hit another $8.8. And both bouts against Clottey and Margarito fell short of what Mayweather pulled with Ortiz.

2. Skip Bayless does not know boxing history

In an attempted to counterpoint Stephen A. Smith with the notion that no one in the history of boxing ever talks up a fight, or builds fights with theatrics by insinuating Ali would have never talked up a fight with any body and that Ali would have just jumped into the ring without employing and hype tactics- namely grandstanding and trash talking. Unfortunately Skip Bayless, you’re egregiously incorrect again. We all know the history of Ali. While Ali is a great man who is known as the greatest of all time, we also know him as the greatest hype man of all time who regularly deployed his greatest weapon- trash talking.

3. Skip Bayless does not have his finger on the boxing world’s pulse

Another gem offered by Skip Bayless came in the form of an interjected counterpoint that was not really a counterpoint because the statement Skip served up did pertain to what Stephen A. Smith was addressing at all. Skip Bayless quoted Mosley’s post fight analysis that he had never been in the ring with anyone as quick and power as Pacquaio. Sadly (which is to be expected at this point), Skip Bayless must not be aware of Sugar Shane Mosley’s recent interview with FightHype’s Ben Thompson where he states “Mayweather was faster than Pacquiao.” Another fail.

4. Skip Bayless thinks Pacquiao will KO Mayweather in 4 rounds

Stephen A. Smith’s reaction to Skip Bayless believing Pacquiao will KO Mayweather within 4 rounds. Priceless.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion- rampant or not. But the truth is, we hold sports analysts to a different standard. Skip Bayless seems to believe that Pacquiao will finish Mayweather inside of four rounds. Knowing Pacquiao was unable to corner and finish a 39 year old Sugar Shane Mosley who used marginal footwork to evade Manny, knowing Manny could not not break the guard of Joshua Clottey who stood directly in front of him, knowing Cotto extended their bout all the way to the 12th round by using his feet- how can Skip Bayless possibility believe Manny will successfully accomplish with Mayweather what he could not against opponents who are not in the same league as Floyd? He seems to think this way because he doesn’t know boxing.

Does Skip Bayless know boxing? Stephen A’s face says it all.

During this entire debate with Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless only offered opinion based on emotion. No technical analysis. Why does ESPN allow Skip Bayless to talk boxing? We think it’s because Skip Bayless continues to disrespect Floyd Mayweather.

Sai-en
www.BoxingFury.com
HazConvictedFelonMane
Skip Bayless is a real piece of work.
caneman
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Nov 4 2011, 06:33 PM) *
Skip Bayless is a real piece of work.

Like I said in another thread...I'd pay $49.99 to see the 2 stew's from two live Stew's, to beat him senseless and FYI Steven A Smith don't know a lot about boxing and he looks like that daily and wouldn't even need to be looking @ Skip the ass wipe Bayless. rolleyes_anim.gif
Cshel86
Yeah Mr. Stephen "the overly passionate face-maker" has several of those facial expressions to go around, so it doesn't take Skip Bayless and his futile perspectives to warrant those faces he makes. I still like Bayless though...for some odd reason, lol.
Hotsauce
this is basically a flomo vs a pactard
caneman
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 4 2011, 07:08 PM) *
Yeah Mr. Stephen "the overly passionate face-maker" has several of those facial expressions to go around, so it doesn't take Skip Bayless and his futile perspectives to warrant those faces he makes. I still like Bayless though...for some odd reason, lol.

Wow, really?That is like being a Jim Grey fan in my eyes! scare.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 4 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Wow, really?That is like being a Jim Grey fan in my eyes! scare.gif

He just says useless shit half tha time, but he turns into an asshole when somebody tries to challenge him on it! Its just funny, but like I said, I just like him for those odd reasons alone. Jim Grey aint all that bad either, he's kinda funny because he asks those hard questions and has this constipated look on his face when he gets real concerned laugh.gif
xxxxxx
Skip Bayless is a fairly knowledgable sports fan, but he does NOT know chit abouit boxing. And neither does Wilbaun for that matter. These guys know so little they embarass themselves when commenting on it.
bMaK
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Nov 4 2011, 09:46 PM) *
Skip Bayless is a fairly knowledgable sports fan, but he does NOT know chit abouit boxing. And neither does Wilbaun for that matter. These guys know so little they embarass themselves when commenting on it.

As crazy as it sounds, they are NOT embarrassing themselves in the slightest. It's actually sad.

The reason- boxing is not a mainstream sport. That means that guys like us, the guys who really know what's going on, and sites like FightHype, aren't spoken for on these shows and these mainstream media platforms such as ESPN don't have any real need to employ an analyst with his finger on the pulse of boxing, or mandate their current analysts to cover the sport any more extensively. It's sad and it's true. As great and as diligent as FH has been with putting more of the truth out there, shedding light on more intricate details, they don't have the platform that ESPN does.

ESPN knows they can represent boxing in whatever way they choose to, and misrepresent or be completely wrong on facts because there's no one they have to answer to. Pacquiao fans and Mayweather haters contribute to this. Instead of being boxing fans and taking offense to the fact that these big-time ESPN analysts don't know half as much about what's going on as THEY do, they'll use Skip Bayless or Michael Wilbon's uninformed and jaded attacks on Floyd Mayweather in any messageboard argument with other real boxing fans just because it favors their guy and the analysts involved represent "the worldwide leader in sports." It's called blind conformity and willed ignorance.

It's actually scary. Is the way Bob Arum has swayed the people and controlled public perception, through favorable media outlets spewing his propaganda, any different than what Adolf Hitler did in Germany? Different subject, different consequences and no disrespect, but it's the same strategy and the same arrogance. He continues to insult our intelligence, and unfortunately for us, there are more of us who either buy into it or don't mind it than there are of us who are tired of it. We're just lucky Bob doesn't have more sinister intentions than trying to shift blame away from his side over a boxing match he doesn't want to make.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bMaK @ Nov 4 2011, 11:56 PM) *
As crazy as it sounds, they are NOT embarrassing themselves in the slightest. It's actually sad.

The reason- boxing is not a mainstream sport. That means that guys like us, the guys who really know what's going on, and sites like FightHype, aren't spoken for on these shows and these mainstream media platforms such as ESPN don't have any real need to employ an analyst with his finger on the pulse of boxing, or mandate their current analysts to cover the sport any more extensively. It's sad and it's true. As great and as diligent as FH has been with putting more of the truth out there, shedding light on more intricate details, they don't have the platform that ESPN does.

ESPN knows they can represent boxing in whatever way they choose to, and misrepresent or be completely wrong on facts because there's no one they have to answer to. Pacquiao fans and Mayweather haters contribute to this. Instead of being boxing fans and taking offense to the fact that these big-time ESPN analysts don't know half as much about what's going on as THEY do, they'll use Skip Bayless or Michael Wilbon's uninformed and jaded attacks on Floyd Mayweather in any messageboard argument with other real boxing fans just because it favors their guy and the analysts involved represent "the worldwide leader in sports." It's called blind conformity and willed ignorance.

It's actually scary. Is the way Bob Arum has swayed the people and controlled public perception, through favorable media outlets spewing his propaganda, any different than what Adolf Hitler did in Germany? Different subject, different consequences and no disrespect, but it's the same strategy and the same arrogance. He continues to insult our intelligence, and unfortunately for us, there are more of us who either buy into it or don't mind it than there are of us who are tired of it. We're just lucky Bob doesn't have more sinister intentions than trying to shift blame away from his side over a boxing match he doesn't want to make.

+1

Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 4 2011, 11:07 PM) *
+1

that shit cray
leonthegee
Skip Bayless is just a fan plain and simple. He thinks Tim Teabow can play. People like Bayless are so far out there thats how they end up on tv.
mgrover
what he should of said is that pacman has a 4 round window where he might be able to KO mayweather, after that, i doubt he'll land much
gbh32001
If all you here really know boxing, you won't talk "
Pac-Money" happening..Roger know shit about boxing...Floyd know shit about boxing, Sr know shit about boxing.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Nov 4 2011, 08:46 PM) *

Wilbon and Skip are Manny fans, not boxing fans. They do not comment on any other boxer. What makes me upset is they take Bob Arum's word that Mann could knock Floyd out with his right hand in four rounds! But when Mayweather says okay let's find out, he is still scared. What more does he have to do. the onus will always be FMJ never pac. Steven A. Smith I have no idea how he has a job as an NBA analyst. Kermit the Frog wants his face back.
Doug and Ryan Stew kick ass! Those guys are legit and fun.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Nov 5 2011, 11:16 AM) *
Pac-Money" happening..Roger know shit about boxing...Floyd know shit about boxing, Sr know shit about boxing.

Obvious question, since we don't know boxing and are here, doesn't the fact that you are here also imply that you also really don't know boxing? I also find it hilarious that you are saying that the Mayweather's know nothing about boxing. Each one of them has probably forgotten more about boxing than you could ever know, because like skip bay"less" (or whatever his name is) you are a Pacquaio fan and not a boxing fan. It becomes clearer and clearer every day just how different the two are...
caneman
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 5 2011, 06:42 PM) *
Obvious question, since we don't know boxing and are here, doesn't the fact that you are here also imply that you also really don't know boxing? I also find it hilarious that you are saying that the Mayweather's know nothing about boxing. Each one of them has probably forgotten more about boxing than you could ever know, because like skip bay"less" (or whatever his name is) you are a Pacquaio fan and not a boxing fan. It becomes clearer and clearer every day just how different the two are...

The same can be said for the FMJ fans around here.
MaxPayne
Bayless is a raggedy little hoe. He's basically on ESPN to be a lightning rod. People tune in just to laugh at him, and he goes with the populist opinion above all else, trying to defend that shit at all costs.

The sexy opinion is, "Floyd is a bitch ! He don't want to part of Pacman ! He's duckin' and dodgin' ! He keeps comin' in with the bullshit ass excuses !"

That's what Bayless will go with, because that's what most people buy into.

The people who come to this site are at least dedicated enough to read different editorials and viewpoints about the various topics in boxing and MMA, instead of simply getting their opinions from ESPN.

It's always better when people listen to all the different angles and then figure out for themselves as to which one makes the most sense. That's why communities like this to exist. To foster exactly those kinds of discussions.
sduck
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Nov 5 2011, 11:16 AM) *

That sig had me rofling
Cheesey1
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 5 2011, 07:45 PM) *
The same can be said for the FMJ fans around here.

I disagree, but since I'm unable to prove my point (unless I compared all of the posts of Mayweather fans to Pacquaio fans to see which group is more fixated on their respective boxer and ignores boxing as a whole), this is one of those agree to disagree things. I'm clearly a FMJ fan, but I know that I'm more of a fan of boxing and even though FMJ is the top ppv draw, boxing is still bigger than him and will always be.
Cshel86
Floyd chose to be the villian, and this is some of the backlash he recieves for being one, as rightfully so. He must accept the fact that people will use his name and drag it through the mud for ratings and/or pure attention. Its the easiest way to get ratings, but Floyd shouldn't be mad about it. The villian is supposed to relish in this negativity and its supposed to feed him what he needs in order to succeed.

So yeah, it sucks for these guys to take Arum's every word and make Floyd seem afraid of Pacquiao. I want Floyd to get on national television and just say that he's afraid of Pacquiao (just to give critics a false sense of fulfillment), and see what kind of attention he gets from that. I bet the backlash wont be any different from what he receives at the present time, and you know what the funny part is...these same dumbasses will want to see the fight even more if he were to falsely admit his fear of Pacquiao.

Dont you just the media? For some odd reason, Skip Bayless is still kinda cool laugh.gif Dont stone me to death!
caneman
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 7 2011, 09:09 AM) *
I disagree, but since I'm unable to prove my point (unless I compared all of the posts of Mayweather fans to Pacquaio fans to see which group is more fixated on their respective boxer and ignores boxing as a whole), this is one of those agree to disagree things. I'm clearly a FMJ fan, but I know that I'm more of a fan of boxing and even though FMJ is the top ppv draw, boxing is still bigger than him and will always be.

I don't know man, these boards are dominated by FMJ...IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE AROUND HERE!!! It's some GOP VS Democrats shit between the two fighters and fans IMO.
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 7 2011, 10:04 AM) *
It's some GOP VS Democrats shit between the two fighters and fans IMO.

Agreed! The reason behind Pac not having as many fans around here, is more than likely due to his promoter and his team. I like Pacquiao, I just hate his team! Im sure that others would agree that Pacquiao is a likable guy and a great fighter, but his team is an assembly of cluster fucks. I've pretty much hated his team since the De La Hoya fight, though all of those broke idiots (except for ODLH) signed for those catchweight fights, it hasn't been a good look for Manny...but again...his team is the blame for this, not him.
caneman
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 10:14 AM) *
Agreed! The reason behind Pac not having as many fans around here, is more than likely due to his promoter and his team. I like Pacquiao, I just hate his team! Im sure that others would agree that Pacquiao is a likable guy and a great fighter, but his team is an assembly of cluster fucks. I've pretty much hated his team since the De La Hoya fight, though all of those broke idiots (except for ODLH) signed for those catchweight fights, it hasn't been a good look for Manny...but again...his team is the blame for this, not him.

I don't care for Pac's team much either, mainly Arum and while catch weights are bullshit, the other fighters signed the contract and I'm not too sure how many are broke if they did the right things with their $$$$! Personally I think this has become a board dominated by FMJ because of the After Dark Series interviews and I don't see Lenard or Roger as much more likable but Arum is an easy guy to hate.

My point is, and I see it writen all the time here, is Pac will be nothing if he loses to FMJ, ummm, why? FMJ IS A 1ST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER. DLH was still the cash cow after losing several fights. Myself I just can't see it being true. The fact is in my eyes is that both sides have got in the way of this fight happening, NOT ONE SIDE! Meanwhile, the could have damn near had a trilogy on record by now! lol The shit sucks for the fans of boxing. Just how I see it. I mean to me, OSDT means nothing for 8-10 weeks of a year, it's 24/7 365 days a year!
Hops
I always believe that if Floyd loses his 0, he will commit suicide.
Cshel86
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 7 2011, 10:32 AM) *
I don't care for Pac's team much either, mainly Arum and while catch weights are bullshit, the other fighters signed the contract and I'm not too sure how many are broke if they did the right things with their $$$$! Personally I think this has become a board dominated by FMJ because of the After Dark Series interviews and I don't see Lenard or Roger as much more likable but Arum is an easy guy to hate.

My point is, and I see it writen all the time here, is Pac will be nothing if he loses to FMJ, ummm, why? FMJ IS A 1ST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER. DLH was still the cash cow after losing several fights. Myself I just can't see it being true. The fact is in my eyes is that both sides have got in the way of this fight happening, NOT ONE SIDE! Meanwhile, the could have damn near had a trilogy on record by now! lol The shit sucks for the fans of boxing. Just how I see it. I mean to me, OSDT means nothing for 8-10 weeks of a year, it's 24/7 365 days a year!

True, they both have members of their team that aren't a public favorite...but the question is, who's team has the most power? Im sure that would go to Pac because of Arum. As far Pac not being worth anything if he loses this fight, I agree, its all hogwash. I just feel that Pac (really Arum) wont have "as much" of the upper hand in future negotiations (i.e. a rematch and/or rubber match)...but truth is, Bob will always have the upper hand, to a certain degree laugh.gif

Since the testing has been proven (or somewhat proven) to be ineffective for 8-10 weeks...I dont see why it should even be a big deal to go through with, on Team Pacquiao's behalf. Its almost as if they will be doing it for no reason, or maybe just to fulfill Floyd's end of the negotiations. If some of this stuff were to be aired on ESPN, then maybe the world would have better insight on whats going. Nah, fuck it, they would still hate FMJ, regardless laugh.gif That shit sucks, big time.
ks1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 10:00 AM) *
Dont you just the media? For some odd reason, Skip Bayless is still kinda cool laugh.gif Dont stone me to death!

Say what!? Skip Bayless is a lot of things but kinda cool is not one of them. laugh.gif
caneman
QUOTE (ks1 @ Nov 7 2011, 11:35 AM) *
Say what!? Skip Bayless is a lot of things but kinda cool is not one of them. laugh.gif

+1 times 145678909875456789987654567899087654567899876123456789000000! laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (ks1 @ Nov 7 2011, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 7 2011, 11:40 AM) *
+1 times 145678909875456789987654567899087654567899876123456789000000! laugh.gif

Lmao! Hate me if ya want, he's one of the coolest assholes on ESPN! He just says useless shit, which is his opinion most of the time, then he gets defensive when somebody challenges him on it. He's a live one I tell ya! thumbsup_anim.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 7 2011, 11:04 AM) *
I don't know man, these boards are dominated by FMJ...IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE AROUND HERE!!! It's some GOP VS Democrats shit between the two fighters and fans IMO.

The past few weeks have seen some pretty interesting non FMJ threads on this board, but yeah I agree this defiintely isn't boxingscene (I'm still trying to erase the horrible memories of when I made the mistake of reading their forums...scarred for life!)
caneman
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 7 2011, 12:40 PM) *
The past few of weeks has seen some pretty interesting non FMJ threads on this board, but yeah I agree this defiintely isn't boxingscene (I'm still trying to erase the horrible memories of when I made the mistake of reading their forums...scarred for life!)

Yea, it's the main reason I never made an account over there. I hate blind superfans anymore and think that some very smart fans only see one side of things based on who they like. The fact is, all message boards have taken a hit for this very reason. And in boxer there should be other threads about other fighters but yet you still see threads made about FMJ or trying to degrade Pac when there were already many threads already open where they could have posted their so called new topic. Also the boards have seen much less active compared to the recent months.
caneman
Fuck, DP, sorry! drinks.gif
streetlion1
Skip Bayless is a career hater...nothing more. He has man-crushes on guys named Tebow, Favre, and Pacquiao....but Lebron and Mayweather are "overrated".
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Nov 8 2011, 08:50 PM) *
Skip Bayless is a career hater...nothing more. He has man-crushes on guys named Tebow, Favre, and Pacquiao....but Lebron and Mayweather are "overrated".

Till this minute I have no idea why people hate Lebron? He stayed out his contract and left to make more money and a championship. And when all the other ex basketball players said that Lebron is doing it the easy way, they are asses. Magic walked onto a dream team, Jordan was apart of the building process. No one who is a good athlete stays in Cleveland! Payton Hillis is about to leave, Jim Brown, left. Cleveland isn't a big market.

Skip is an ass. He never played a sport and he is upset because he can't do what those guys can do. You forgot Vick to that list as well. Tebow sucks! Favre, overrated, and Pacquiao needs to fight someone in their early or late 20s or mid to early 30s. They should put Pac in the ring with Mike Jones.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 9 2011, 12:53 PM) *
Till this minute I have no idea why people hate Lebron? He stayed out his contract and left to make more money and a championship. And when all the other ex basketball players said that Lebron is doing it the easy way, they are asses. Magic walked onto a dream team, Jordan was apart of the building process. No one who is a good athlete stays in Cleveland! Payton Hillis is about to leave, Jim Brown, left. Cleveland isn't a big market.

Skip is an ass. He never played a sport and he is upset because he can't do what those guys can do. You forgot Vick to that list as well. Tebow sucks! Favre, overrated, and Pacquiao needs to fight someone in their early or late 20s or mid to early 30s. They should put Pac in the ring with Mike Jones.

Nah pimp, Bayless is the man! laugh.gif What about Bayless and Mayweather? Pac would probably have his way with Jones, if Jones doesn't believe that he can fight Pacquiao, and just stick to boxing and fighting in spurts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.