Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@10:15PM (ET)/7:15PM (PT)-Angulo vs. Kirkland-SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 5 2011, 11:42 PM) *
For real....coke heads are just crack heads with money....

MaxPayne
Incredible performance by Kirkland. Showed some good boxing ability in slipping some punches in the 2nd and 3rd round and countering effectively. Of course, he was really in his element when he was in Seek and Destroy mode. Super fun fight, can't wait to watch both of these guys in their future fights.

I have to say though, something about Quillin just doesn't seem right to me. It's not just his lack of a jab, but I didn't see him land too many clean combinations against a guy who seemed slow and prodding with his punches. The guy might have a bright future ahead of him, but right now he's a heck of a lot more of an athlete than he is a boxer, to be honest. Needs to develop a jab and needs to start doing things like figuring out an opponent's reach and timing. Fighting southpaws is always awkward, but that's why you train.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 5 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Cocaine is helluva drug laugh.gif 45? Shiiiit, Oscar looks like he's already slapped 50 in the face. laugh.gif

UUuuuuhhhh, yeeeah....when I saw him, the first thing I thought of was FH's report that he may come back. I'm thinking, "THAT guy is making a comeback?"
bnoles4life
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Nov 5 2011, 10:45 PM) *
Incredible performance by Kirkland. Showed some good boxing ability in slipping some punches in the 2nd and 3rd round and countering effectively. Of course, he was really in his element when he was in Seek and Destroy mode. Super fun fight, can't wait to watch both of these guys in their future fights.

I have to say though, something about Quillin just doesn't seem right to me. It's not just his lack of a jab, but I didn't see him land too many clean combinations against a guy who seemed slow and prodding with his punches. The guy might have a bright future ahead of him, but right now he's a heck of a lot more of an athlete than he is a boxer, to be honest. Needs to develop a jab and needs to start doing things like figuring out an opponent's reach and timing. Fighting southpaws is always awkward, but that's why you train.

Max....I know what you mean. McEwan was tailor made for him...not his best performance (I'm hoping).
Aware
Ann "Muthafuckin" Wolfe!!! Trainer of the year.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 5 2011, 11:48 PM) *
Max....I know what you mean. McEwan was tailor made for him...not his best performance (I'm hoping).

Agreed. Hopefully Roach can teach him some of the finer points of boxing. He certainly looks the part, but Quillin needs to keep developing his skills.
The Original MrFactor
One helluva fight. On par with the brutality of Hagler/Hearns. Give Kirkland mad credit because he went into hostile territory and whooped ass. Credit to his trainer, she seems to bring the best out of him. I knew it was over in the 1st when Angulo took his 1st step back. Angulo landed a great counter and punched himself out in the 1st round. He never recovered. Kirkland did and continued to land bombs.
BigFightFan
Best fight I have seen since Berto vs Ortiz!!!! I wish that more people who say boxing is dead would pay attention to the fights like this one.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Nov 5 2011, 11:45 PM) *

Yeah Quillin didn't look too sharp tonight. I mean he landed some nice punches, but he just couldn't seem to dominate McEwan. Its not like McEwan was dominating him, but he was just interrupting Quillin's game plan...maybe by accident though. From what I understand, Quillin doesn't have an extensive background, so that may have a lot to do with it.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 5 2011, 11:46 PM) *
UUuuuuhhhh, yeeeah....when I saw him, the first thing I thought of was FH's report that he may come back. I'm thinking, "THAT guy is making a comeback?"

Hell we never know at this point, he may just try it anyway.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Nov 5 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Best fight I have seen since Berto vs Ortiz!!!! I wish that more people who say boxing is dead would pay attention to the fights like this one.

Agreed, they both fought with a certain ferocity that definitely deserves all the praise it wil receive.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 5 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Hell we never know at this point, he may just try it anyway.

Yeeeah, he should limit it to the Mickey Rourke circuit.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 6 2011, 12:08 AM) *
Yeeeah, he should limit it to the Mickey Rourke circuit.

There is no limit to the Mickey Rourke circuit...believe it or not laugh.gif
bnoles4life
Btw, Kirkland needs to be VERY un-Khanlike and avenge that stoppage loss....like NEXT fight.
BoxingStill#1
Very good fight that played out almost exactly how I had it....

Though I was wondering if Angulo could survive the onslaught and get a second wind that woulda been interesting

Something we all shoulda learned from that one is if you have a solid defense and a chin of iron you can beat James...

Because he has neither....
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 6 2011, 12:45 AM) *

Though I was wondering if Angulo could survive the onslaught and get a second wind that woulda been interesting

Something we all shoulda learned from that one is if you have a solid defense and a chin of iron you can beat James...

+1

Angulo fucked himself big time, smh...

He had the "bambi legs" the whole fight.
sduck
That was an amazing performance by Kirkland. Sold the fight at the start but survived and came back. Angulo got overly confident, but then who wouldn't when you get a head start as good as that.

Quillin vs McCewan was a too soon stoppage, but Quillin was going to win that anyways. Pretty dominate the entire fight.
BoxingEinstein

What a fucking fight!!...That was a classic first round...that first round shall be forever remembered in my head. I wished the whole fight would've went like that...both throwin nothin but bombs and at least each get a knock down in each round or more...I never saw that conclusion coming. Angulo really let out too much energy in that first round. I mean it's not his faught entirely, when he dropped Kirkland and was throwing bombs to finish him off it looked like Kirkland was done. Hell, I thought that was it his legs looked like they was ready to crumble easy like cookies dipped in milk and then Kirkland just out of nowhere threw everything but the kitchen sink and dropped El Perro. What a fuckin first round.

After that, Kirkland just put on a beating and showed some very good pure boxing potential. He has the reach and a trainer like Wolfe so it's not entirely impossible. I see Kirkland beating Alvarez since Alvarez hasn't went up against a guy who punches as hard as Kirkland and with some very decent boxing skills. Alvarez has the advantage with speed and opposition but Kirkland taking on one of the best rising middle weights right now put him back on the list. I hope he gets a belt soon.

Again,,,,that first round shall be called...."ZEUS VS HADES" or "THE STORM"

Classic first round...classic.
BoxingEinstein
this fight should have been called "BOMBS AWAY"

enjoy thumbsup_anim.gif
HazConvictedFelonMane
Sheesh. I think the inactivity really hurt Angulo. I understand that he thought that he was going to get him outta there after he dropped him, but he shouldn't have punched himself out. He needed to remember that it's a marathon, not a 40 yard dash. Go green and conserve energy. It's like my man Money Mayweather says it...Things happen in the sport of boxing. You live and you learn. Damn! That was a costly lesson for El Perro. Takes my vote for round of the year. I would've given a vote for fight of the year but after the dog punched himself out, it wasn't much of a fight anymore.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 5 2011, 11:45 PM) *

Good luck in finding THAT combo at 154. Angulo possessed the elements to beat Kirkland; good chin, good power and most importantly, didn't give a fuck (special emphasis on the last one)! News flash: those are the ingredients to beat damn near anyone and any level.

It's one thing to have a good chin, but it's another to be brave enough to stick it out there.
Cshel86
Kirkland put on a great performance tonight, though they both looked sluggish as hell...Kirkland had more wits about himself and kept it as sharp as he could. I still dont see him beating Alvarez, Mayorga, or Pirog (if he decides to come down). If you're on top of your game, Angulo isn't the hardest person in the world to beat...but dammit, it takes some commitment!

Now, if Kirkland completely wants his stripes back, they should look to the likes of Cintron, Gomez, Mora, or Clottey (since he's fighting at 154 now). These may not be top level opponents, but they will test Kirkland's skill level and resistance enough to secure his case for a bigger fight. Angulo was there to be hit last night, but the fighters stated above will help to tweak Kirkland's fight game. Alvarez will put his fire out quickly, hands down.

Think about it, if Angulo could drop him that easily with a counter punch (which he isn't the best at), then what could these other guys do? Angulo fucked himself royally when he punched himself out...not sure the other guys will do that. Im sure Wolfe is preparing him for bigger challenges though.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 6 2011, 10:56 AM) *
Now, if Kirkland completely wants his stripes back, they should look to the likes of Cintron, Gomez, Mora, or Clottey (since he's fighting at 154 now). These may not be top level opponents, but they will test Kirkland's skill level and resistance enough to secure his case for a bigger fight. Angulo was there to be hit last night, but the fighters stated above will help to tweak Kirkland's fight game. Alvarez will put his fire out quickly, hands down.

Think about it, if Angulo could drop him that easily with a counter punch (which he isn't the best at), then what could these other guys do? Angulo fucked himself royally when he punched himself out...not sure the other guys will do that. Im sure Wolfe is preparing him for bigger challenges though.

To quote Lee Corso, "not so fast my friend!" I could see Alvarez whippin' his ass, but in the same light, I can see him off'n Canelo's "on" switch as well. There's nothing Capt Kirk can do about that chin, except tuck it and be more careful. However, IMO, that takes away his best shot at winning...aggression. Kirk is a tough fighter and it seems his confidence is coming back, therefore, making him an even tougher "out". His aggression can be menacing. Whatever the reason you want to tab as the reason Angulo lost that fight, we hadn't see him get bullied like that before (bambi legs or not).

Clearly, Canelo is the more skilled of the two, but there's something to be said for tenacity, heart and overall, being a bad MF'r. I can tell you this, if Canelo uses the same plan he did for Gomez (rolling his shoulder and looking for the counter), he could very well be staring up at the lights. Kirkland, chinny or not, had pretty good stamina, considering the leather he threw and took.

Again, I'm not saying he would beat Canelo tomorrow, but I can tell you this: He ain't no easy win (for anyone not named Ishida).
checkleft
Put him in there with Lara, I'm amazed how much people forget about him.. but I agree, if one right hand counter does that to kirk Canelo will finish him with a couple quick counters. But that's if Canelo can take the heat early
caneman
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 6 2011, 03:16 PM) *
Put him in there with Lara, I'm amazed how much people forget about him.. but I agree, if one right hand counter does that to kirk Canelo will finish him with a couple quick counters. But that's if Canelo can take the heat early

WAY TOO MANY sleep on Lara, that man can fight and I feel he needs to hurry up and get back into the ring and stay active. Something that too many fighters don't do these days.
caneman
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 6 2011, 01:04 PM) *
To quote Lee Corso, "not so fast my friend!" I could see Alvarez whippin' his ass, but in the same light, I can see him off'n Canelo's "on" switch as well. There's nothing Capt Kirk can do about that chin, except tuck it and be more careful. However, IMO, that takes away his best shot at winning...aggression. Kirk is a tough fighter and it seems his confidence is coming back, therefore, making him an even tougher "out". His aggression can be menacing. Whatever the reason you want to tab as the reason Angulo lost that fight, we hadn't see him get bullied like that before (bambi legs or not).

Clearly, Canelo is the more skilled of the two, but there's something to be said for tenacity, heart and overall, being a bad MF'r. I can tell you this, if Canelo uses the same plan he did for Gomez (rolling his shoulder and looking for the counter), he could very well be staring up at the lights. Kirkland, chinny or not, had pretty good stamina, considering the leather he threw and took.

Again, I'm not saying he would beat Canelo tomorrow, but I can tell you this: He ain't no easy win (for anyone not named Ishida).

I think too many fighter get away from a simply basic and that basic is keeping that chin tucked @ all times. If you have to walk around with a tennis ball between your chin & your chest and roll it up to your lead hand shoulder several hours per day. I believe for the most part, you have a good chin or you don't but you could have an OK chin and the fact that you keep it tucked could make it appear that your chin is better than it really is. Just saying!
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 6 2011, 12:04 PM) *

Well you made it clear when you said that Kirkland wont beat Canelo tomorrow, but he wont be an easy win for Canelo either. Thats what I was under the impression that he announcers were saying...that Kirkland should scout a fight with Canelo immediately. That would be a very bad idea at the moment. He needs to find some balance between being overly aggressive and tucking that chin of his...though his defense (protecting his chin) should always be priority. Now, if Kirkland could take punches well, then I could care less about him protecting his chin, but him trying to fight those top contenders and pretty much disregarding his chin...bad idea.

As for last night's fight, those other contenders wont do what Angulo did after a knockdown. Any other fighter would've paced themselves after knocking Kirkland down or made the most of the moment (i.e. Canelo vs Gomez stoppage). Angulo messed himself up last night, then commenced to doing himself an utterly courageous life-threatening favor by hanging in there and getting beat to death. Can you blame him though? Im just saying that other fighters with experience or sense for that matter, wouldn't have let somebody as offensively dangerous as Kirkland, off the hook like that.

Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 6 2011, 04:35 PM) *
Well you made it clear when you said that Kirkland wont beat Canelo tomorrow, but he wont be an easy win for Canelo either. Thats what I was under the impression that he announcers were saying...that Kirkland should scout a fight with Canelo immediately. That would be a very bad idea at the moment. He needs to find some balance between being overly aggressive and tucking that chin of his...though his defense (protecting his chin) should always be priority. Now, if Kirkland could take punches well, then I could care less about him protecting his chin, but him trying to fight those top contenders and pretty much disregarding his chin...bad idea.

As for last night's fight, those other contenders wont do what Angulo did after a knockdown. Any other fighter would've paced themselves after knocking Kirkland down or made the most of the moment (i.e. Canelo vs Gomez stoppage). Angulo messed himself up last night, then commenced to doing himself an utterly courageous life-threatening favor by hanging in there and getting beat to death. Can you blame him though? Im just saying that other fighters with experience or sense for that matter, wouldn't have let somebody as offensively dangerous as Kirkland, off the hook like that.

Yup.
Jack 1000
Awesome!!!! I had the first round even with those shocing traded KD's!!! 2nd round vicious and to Angulo, but all rounds to Kirkland after that. That first round was Gatti-Ward in three minutes!

I think James makes Taco Mix out of Alverez! As long as he survives early like he proved tonight!

Now the audio acoustics! That was bullshit!!

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 7 2011, 01:29 AM) *
Awesome!!!! I had the first round even with those shocing traded KD's!!! 2nd round vicious and to Angulo, but all rounds to Kirkland after that. That first round was Gatti-Ward in three minutes!

I think James makes Taco Mix out of Alverez! As long as he survives early like he proved tonight!

Now the audio acoustics! That was bullshit!!

Jack

Correction. Can't give Angullo round 2, just watched it again. I will say probably all rounds went to Kirkland except for the even 10-10 round.

Jack
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 6 2011, 03:35 PM) *

I say "not tomorrow" simply b/c he needs gel more with Mann Wolfe. Clearly his affiliation w/ Mann is an excellent fit (at a minimum, better than his last group of trainers), but they need more time to improve. I think 1 or 2 more fights and bring on Saul. I tend agree w/ Jack, who likes Kirkland if he survives early. Maybe I'm a "prisoner of the moment", but I'd be really, really interested in seeing how Canelo handles a cat that can put a dent in him and will keep coming all night. If we're being honest, Alvarez isn't exactly setting the world on fire. His last 5 fights were, Alphonso Gomez (TKO6), Ryan Rhodes (TKO12), Matthew Hatton (UD12), Lovermore N'dou (UD12), Carlos Baldomir (TKO6)...lemme ask you this: which of these do you see Kirkland NOT getting out of there? (S/N: No one saw him NOT getting Ishida outta there either, huh? LOL). I'll be honest w/ you, I think this fight raises Canelo's BP a bit. Plus, if you believe Gary Shaw, no way Alvarez gets in the ring w/ Kirkland.

Sunni6Killer
Congrats to Kirkland, thought he was going to get blown out.
Angulo needs to take aerobics classes.
Can't take an opponent lightly.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 7 2011, 07:50 AM) *
I say "not tomorrow" simply b/c he needs gel more with Mann Wolfe. Clearly his affiliation w/ Mann is an excellent fit (at a minimum, better than his last group of trainers), but they need more time to improve. I think 1 or 2 more fights and bring on Saul. I tend agree w/ Jack, who likes Kirkland if he survives early. Maybe I'm a "prisoner of the moment", but I'd be really, really interested in seeing how Canelo handles a cat that can put a dent in him and will keep coming all night. If we're being honest, Alvarez isn't exactly setting the world on fire. His last 5 fights were, Alphonso Gomez (TKO6), Ryan Rhodes (TKO12), Matthew Hatton (UD12), Lovermore N'dou (UD12), Carlos Baldomir (TKO6)...lemme ask you this: which of these do you see Kirkland NOT getting out of there? (S/N: No one saw him NOT getting Ishida outta there either, huh? LOL). I'll be honest w/ you, I think this fight raises Canelo's BP a bit. Plus, if you believe Gary Shaw, no way Alvarez gets in the ring w/ Kirkland.

Yeah he does need a bit of tweaking, but a few more fights and an assistant trainer will work all that out. Canelo can be hit, but he's also more technically sound and has pop to his punches as well...not to mention the arsenal that he's working on (as we saw in the Gomez fight). Im not the hugest Alvarez fan either. Like you said, this fight would raise both of their stocks. The sad part is, if Kirkland were to beat Alvarez by TKO/KO (which is the easy way out), then he would have to carry the baton of potential Canel opponents, in which Kiirkland nor Canelo are truly ready for at this point in time.

Now, if he happens to go life and death with Canelo and go the distance, then I would look at his (Kirkland's) skill level as improved, so his "Buster Douglas jinx" would be out the window (in my opinion). You're right about Kirkland getting past Canelo's prior opponents, he would do that with ease (probably with the exception of Baldomir for some odd reason). Like I just stated, its all about Canelo's future opponents, that leaves a cloud of doubt over my head, in regards to Kirkland beating.

For example, between the two toughest fighters at 140, Maidana and Matthysse...if they were to beat a top fighter for a major title, I would trust Maidana more to defend the title and go life and death with future opponents...knowing that they may meet in hell one day and he'd still give them a nasty fight. Matthysse on the other hand...Buster Douglas jinx. He has more skills than Maidana, but we all know his style of fighting...he just sits there and looks at his opponent for the first few rounds and the opponent banks them with little effort, he gives them hell in the middle rounds and looks great, then he leaves the last few rounds in the air for anybody to win. Result, he ends of losing the freakin' fight...Maidana on the other hand, will fight like hell from the opening bell, to the final bell...sloppy or not, he's there to take a guy to the limit.

QUOTE (Sunni6Killer @ Nov 7 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Angulo needs to take aerobics classes.

Yeah he needs that Billy Blanks hook-up, asap! He was stumbling around the ring and swinging like he just left the bar after a 2 for1 special no2.gif
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Yeah he does need a bit of tweaking, but a few more fights and an assistant trainer will work all that out. Canelo can be hit, but he's also more technically sound and has pop to his punches as well...not to mention the arsenal that he's working on (as we saw in the Gomez fight). Im not the hugest Alvarez fan either. Like you said, this fight would raise both of their stocks. The sad part is, if Kirkland were to beat Alvarez by TKO/KO (which is the easy way out), then he would have to carry the baton of potential Canel opponents, in which Kiirkland nor Canelo are truly ready for at this point in time.

Now, if he happens to go life and death with Canelo and go the distance, then I would look at his (Kirkland's) skill level as improved, so his "Buster Douglas jinx" would be out the window (in my opinion). You're right about Kirkland getting past Canelo's prior opponents, he would do that with ease (probably with the exception of Baldomir for some odd reason). Like I just stated, its all about Canelo's future opponents, that leaves a cloud of doubt over my head, in regards to Kirkland beating.

For example, between the two toughest fighters at 140, Maidana and Matthysse...if they were to beat a top fighter for a major title, I would trust Maidana more to defend the title and go life and death with future opponents...knowing that they may meet in hell one day and he'd still give them a nasty fight. Matthysse on the other hand...Buster Douglas jinx. He has more skills than Maidana, but we all know his style of fighting...he just sits there and looks at his opponent for the first few rounds and the opponent banks them with little effort, he gives them hell in the middle rounds and looks great, then he leaves the last few rounds in the air for anybody to win. Result, he ends of losing the freakin' fight...Maidana on the other hand, will fight like hell from the opening bell, to the final bell...sloppy or not, he's there to take a guy to the limit.

Yeah he needs that Billy Blanks hook-up, asap! He was stumbling around the ring and swinging like he just left the bar after a 2 for1 special no2.gif

Shelly...
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Nov 7 2011, 11:11 AM) *
Shelly...

Fuck!
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 12:15 PM) *

Fuck!

just when i thought i was done along comes Angulo v Kirkland to pull me right back in haha
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Nov 7 2011, 11:21 AM) *
just when i thought i was done along comes Angulo v Kirkland to pull me right back in haha

Sigh...just let me know what the move is E. Damn, just when I thought you were gonna take a break, this mess happens...
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Sigh...just let me know what the move is E. Damn, just when I thought you were gonna take a break, this mess happens...

haha don't be too salty, someones gotta knock you down a peg or two over here. seems like this place is a wasteland
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Nov 7 2011, 12:01 PM) *
haha don't be too salty, someones gotta knock you down a peg or two over here. seems like this place is a wasteland

I can deal with that, and I'll even be man enough to sig bet on Margarito in the rematch!
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 01:12 PM) *
I can deal with that, and I'll even be man enough to sig bet on Margarito in the rematch!

haha, unfortunately I like Margs in that fight. I'd be open to the Mares(me) v Agbeko or Ward(me) v Froch bets tho as those are the only evenly matched fights i see coming up
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Nov 7 2011, 12:17 PM) *
haha, unfortunately I like Margs in that fight. I'd be open to the Mares(me) v Agbeko or Ward(me) v Froch bets tho as those are the only evenly matched fights i see coming up

Yeah you're pretty much right about those fights. Kirkland/Angulo could've gone either way..and that first round told the story. I was ready to rub it in after Angulo scored that knockdown, but he got his clock cleaned at the end of the round, and didn't take it as good as he gave it laugh.gif Damn!
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 01:21 PM) *
Yeah you're pretty much right about those fights. Kirkland/Angulo could've gone either way..and that first round told the story. I was ready to rub it in after Angulo scored that knockdown, but he got his clock cleaned at the end of the round, and didn't take it as good as he gave it laugh.gif Damn!

I'm telling you it was all in the blueprint, i wasn't 100% sold on the Kirkland win but I knew if he came with what he is capable of it was his fight to lose. Angulo isn't that good and is far from a thinking fighter. He's like Margarito if you can get him to go backwards the fight is yours, Kirkland has more places to go and it showed in the fight. I don't think Kirkland is unbeatable or anything but @154 against the right opponents the guy can be a huge star, he's what the US needs and can be billed as a mini mike tyson. Give me K9, then Mosley(sure I'll get shit for this but it could be a good fight), followed by Canelo and then Ortiz or Berto as I see them both at 154 in the near future. He needs to stay away from Martinez and 160
Cshel86
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Nov 7 2011, 12:54 PM) *
I'm telling you it was all in the blueprint, i wasn't 100% sold on the Kirkland win but I knew if he came with what he is capable of it was his fight to lose. Angulo isn't that good and is far from a thinking fighter. He's like Margarito if you can get him to go backwards the fight is yours, Kirkland has more places to go and it showed in the fight. I don't think Kirkland is unbeatable or anything but @154 against the right opponents the guy can be a huge star, he's what the US needs and can be billed as a mini mike tyson. Give me K9, then Mosley(sure I'll get shit for this but it could be a good fight), followed by Canelo and then Ortiz or Berto as I see them both at 154 in the near future. He needs to stay away from Martinez and 160

Great observation! I somewhat had Mike Tyson in mind when I thought of Kirkland, but as we all know, Tyson protected his chin well and that side-to-side head movement worked wonders for him being a smaller heaveyweight. Seemed like both of those guys were tired, but Angulo got the worst of everything Saturday night, and sacrificed himself after his gameblower in the first round. HAd his opponent in deep waters, and ended up punching himself out...all for his opponent to recover and tear him a new one...so yes, he's far from a smart fighter.

A K-9 fight would be a big one...they're tailor made for each other, and Mosley would be a name on his resume...but he better get that fight quick. I was thinking more along the lines of Cintron, Gomez, or Clottey. Somebody mentioned a fight with Lara, but that may be some form of suicide for Kirkland.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 7 2011, 02:07 PM) *
Great observation! I somewhat had Mike Tyson in mind when I thought of Kirkland, but as we all know, Tyson protected his chin well and that side-to-side head movement worked wonders for him being a smaller heaveyweight. Seemed like both of those guys were tired, but Angulo got the worst of everything Saturday night, and sacrificed himself after his gameblower in the first round. HAd his opponent in deep waters, and ended up punching himself out...all for his opponent to recover and tear him a new one...so yes, he's far from a smart fighter.

A K-9 fight would be a big one...they're tailor made for each other, and Mosley would be a name on his resume...but he better get that fight quick. I was thinking more along the lines of Cintron, Gomez, or Clottey. Somebody mentioned a fight with Lara, but that may be some form of suicide for Kirkland.

I don't want to see the Lara fight at all, he needs to fight Molina again or move up because I don't see who Golden Boy has for him @154. I guess I'd be ok with a Joel Julio fight and Main Events is always cool with matching their fighters. Lara just doesn't bring anything to the table imo, his style is kinda boring.

K9 blows, dude needs to lose that strap quick. I think thats the best way to get Kirkland a title and K9 an HBO fight. Kirkland obliterates him in 2 rounds imo, K9 is too upright and he isn't precise enough to land the big right hand he loads up with on Kirkland who is gonna be in your face in less than 5 seconds.

Kirkland is no Tyson, but with the right opponents can be marketed that way. Mosley would be good because he could actually win that fight but he'd have to earn it and I think that he deserves that opportunity because people are shitting on him right now. Its a good fight for Kirkland because he needs a good name on his resume and Mosley has never been stopped. If the fight is in an >18ft ring its going to be interesting. I think Cotto has the best chance against Kirkland right now @154 but I don't know if he wants that kind of pressure if he wins a Margarito fight. Margarito could be a real interesting fight but I don't know that Arum would be willing to make those fights just yet. Obviously the Alvarez fight is GBP most lucrative but it's just not time yet, I think its at least 2 fights away
Jack 1000
I just re-watched the fight on HBO VOD and Lederman said something that open scoring was used for the fight because it was a WBC Elimination Bout, but because the house mic did not work, people did not know about it. And in a fight where maybe Angulo took round three, with only the first round being thrilling with the swapped knockdowns, one judge had Kirkland up by only one point, in what was pretty much a dominate performance by Kirkland after that thrilling first round.

Which begs the question, how would partial open scoring improve the outcome of decisions? If a boxer is going to get robbed, he's going to get robbed anyway. Jose Suliman keeps forgetting that this was tried before, at least in the States several times and failed. It is also interesting to inquire, why the Japanese Boxing Commission thinks open scoring is so great?

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.