Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undefeated Fighters
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
It seems that people put a lot of stake in fighters going undefeated. It means a lot to the fighter and public. But if going undefeated means that you will do anything to protect a flawless record then what does it really mean? Let's take Chavez Jr (Mayweather is next). If he goes undefeated will he be considered a great boxer or a paper champ? Calzaghe went undefeated looking at his record and when he faced his oppenents leaves the fight fan limp. Does Joe Calzaghe deserves the praise of his record? However when you look at it, it is as meaningless as a Vinn Diseal movie. As far as Mayweather goes, early in his career he was taking on everyone. As he went up in age and wins, it seems he has been careful of picking his opponents. Ortiz looked as if he had the tools to knock May out but he was a head case. Oscar just didn't connect, Shane stopped fighting, JMM never had a chance. Now everyone is saying he is afraid of Pac (even though he is smaller and boxing skills are left to be desired) because of his 0 will be put to the test. If May remains undefeated will it be a respected 0 or a 0 that could be scrutinized? Any thoughts. If you would like to add other undefeated fighters that I did not that deserve a look please by any means

RIP Smokin' Joe Frazier aka Ali Killer!
Plah
Meaningless as a Vin Diesel Movie. Haha, now, if Floyd somehow fights and defeats Pac, Sergio, Khan and any other top WW or Jr Middle...then thats a well-respected 0. Tho i think in peoples eyes Pac will be enough.
mgrover
the best thing mayweather can do in public relations is lose, since a loss will make people tell him i told you so, but if he survives the storm (as in not doing something stupid like that radio call) and come back more humble he will easily gain fans, a 0 means fuck all, all the greats have lost, and its not the fact that they lost, its the fact how they came back from that loss to dominate still and show that they were the better man, thats why so many people dislike naseem hamed, sure he was a cocky little prick, but he was entertaining so that wasnt the problem, it was when he lost, came back for one fight and called it a day because he didn't try to get some sort of rematch, to be honest he lost faith in himself, by no means would I call Mayweather a mental midget but I'd just wonder how a loss would hit him? outside the ring he doesn't seem to be the worlds most confident person, but inside he knows no one can touch him, guess we'll never know.

then theres joe calzaghe, i kinda feel sorry for joe, the dude fought everyone but who he was supposed to, and am not sure whos to blame, wether its him, his dad, frank warren or jones or hopkins, i really don't know. what I do know is that 0 on his record means shit, since anyone that isn't blind who saw the hopkins fight knew for a fact that joe had lost, joe knew it too, i think the only reason he really won was to pave a way to a calzaghe jones fight. but i do think if joe fought hopkins when hopkins was younger it would of been a better fight to watch and a more competitive fight, since hopkins wasnt as technical when he was younger.

rocky marciano another undefeated champion, I wouldn't place much stock in the man, sure he may have some hard punches, but am sure someone that could take that kind of punishment would stop him, if he kept on fighting he could of enhanced his legacies.

to conclude the 0 means shit, I understand that a fighter has to be protected early into his career, but after getting on there feet I don't see an excuse, and I wouldn't mind if a fighter boasts about nobody beating them if they fought the best out there and beat them fairly. I'd be fine with that and they might change my mind that the 0 means something, but in the boxing world we live in with low risk high reward I don't see it happening.
Cshel86
"Undefeated means dick!" laugh.gif...the great words of Rude Jude, who probably heard that from somebody else, lol. Nah really, it doesn't mean much nowadays, and I believe I started about this months ago. FMJ is the LAST fighter that I want to hear talking about being undefeated. At least his skills make it look as if his '0' will be hard to take away, but these new fighters are using that '0' as their golden ticket, and their skills are suspect as hell.

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 31 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Being "undefeated" nowadays is no longer an effective promotional device (in my opinion). There is only one flashy undefeated guy out there, and we know who he is. He effectively used it for promotional purposes, but this is the LAST time, and I repeat, the LAST time I want to hear a fighter bragging about being undefeated, especially if:
1. You dont have enough personality to save your life or keep me awake while watching your interviews (or lack there of)
2. You cant put asses in seats (other than your family members, training team, and entourage)
3. Your ring appeal is sub-par or I know for a fact that I will have to be drunk in order to sit through one of your fights
4. You feel that the world owes you something because you're undefeated

When I hear about a young "undefeated" prospect, I find it hard to hold down breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only undefeated fighters that I care about are the ones who dont care about losing their '0'.

pdei47
Each fighter Floyd fights people want him to lose. He’s fought many “so called” dangerous fighters & once he beats them there are excuses up the ass about this & that. Floyd is undefeated for a reason & it’s not because he ducked anyone. Look at the man’s record & compare it to your hero Pacroid. Everyone Floyd has fought was supposed to give him problems. Each fight people are looking for that one guy to beat him.

They thought they had their “I TOLD YOU SO” chance in the Mosley fight. Didn’t happen, if you listen to Mosley’s trainer he said” Once we hit him he is going to have to fight”. That’s exactly what Floyd did, FIGHT! He beat Shane like he stole something. It boils down to skills & knowledge of your sport that makes Floyd better than other fighters. He’s undefeated because he is dedicated to his sport unlike boxing fans that go from one fighter to the other depending on the mood they are in. hate Floyd or love him, Pacroid want beat him & it will surprise so many people at the ease Floyd beats the haters hero.

Strange thing though about haters, most of them are Americans with no loyalty to this country because if they were then none of them would be hating on the person representing this country in the sport of boxing. What they are doing is hating on a black man because he is on top of his game & will not take a back seat for anyone. I guess if Floyd was schedule to fight Bin Laden the haters would be behind the terrorist to win the fight. Quit hating on your own people fools & appreciate the skills this brother brings to the ring. Undefeated 42-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cshel86
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 11:19 AM) *
Each fighter Floyd fights people want him to lose. He’s fought many “so called” dangerous fighters & once he beats them there are excuses up the ass about this & that. Floyd is undefeated for a reason & it’s not because he ducked anyone. Look at the man’s record & compare it to your hero Pacroid. Everyone Floyd has fought was supposed to give him problems. Each fight people are looking for that one guy to beat him.

They thought they had their “I TOLD YOU SO” chance in the Mosley fight. Didn’t happen, if you listen to Mosley’s trainer he said” Once we hit him he is going to have to fight”. That’s exactly what Floyd did, FIGHT! He beat Shane like he stole something. It boils down to skills & knowledge of your sport that makes Floyd better than other fighters. He’s undefeated because he is dedicated to his sport unlike boxing fans that go from one fighter to the other depending on the mood they are in. hate Floyd or love him, Pacroid want beat him & it will surprise so many people at the ease Floyd beats the haters hero.

Strange thing though about haters, most of them are Americans with no loyalty to this country because if they were then none of them would be hating on the person representing this country in the sport of boxing. What they are doing is hating on a black man because he is on top of his game & will not take a back seat for anyone. I guess if Floyd was schedule to fight Bin Laden the haters would be behind the terrorist to win the fight. Quit hating on your own people fools & appreciate the skills this brother brings to the ring. Undefeated 42-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any knowledge of other undefeated fighters, or is Floyd just on the brain and the easiest thing to come up with?
Cshel86
Joe Calzaghe's record may be sub par in the eyes of some, but he did squeeze some legends in there at the end (RJJ, Hopkins), so his legacy is somewhat set. As far as these undefeated fighters nowadays, its almost a shame. You have guys like Bradley who feels that the world owes him something. He's largely unknown, but held two titles, and has a goose egg on his record, so he believes he's runner up for the big paydays. He fought a couple of good fighters, but that zero is his hero in the meantime.

I personally like fighters with 0's on the their records, and a draw. Call me crazy, but a draw shows that there was a fighter out there who took them to the limits and they got the decision that they deserved, rather than being given a gift from biased judges, when they really deserved an L or a draw. The guys that come to mind are Canelo and Rios. Im not too big on undefeated fighters nowadays...never really was. Too much unnecessary pressure on them to defend something that really doesn't matter.
pdei47
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 8 2011, 12:39 PM) *
Any knowledge of other undefeated fighters, or is Floyd just on the brain and the easiest thing to come up with?

HERE YOU GO YOUNGSTER, SINCE YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO RESEARCH I'LL HELP YOU OUT. UNDEFEATED BOXERS!!!!!!
Jimmy Barry - World Paperweight Champion (110lbs) - 58 (38) - 0 (0) - 10
Benjamin Brain - English Bareknuckle Heavyweight Champion - (7-0-1)
Tom Chandler - Middleweight Bareknuckle Champion - (3-0-1)
William "Nobby" Clark - Featherweight Bareknuckle Champion - (2-0-0)
Jim Dunne - Welterweight Bare Knuckle Champion - (2-0-0)
Jack "Duggan" Fearns - English Bare Knuckle Heavyweight Champion - (1-0-0)
Samson Dutch Boy Gym - WBF Super Flyweight Champion - 43 (36) - 0(0) - 0
Owney Geoghegan - American Lightweight Bareknuckle Champion - (11-0-1)
Jack Harris - English Heavyweight Claimant BareknuckleChampion
Jemal Hinton - WBC Continental Americas Super Bantamweight Campion - 22 (17) - 0 (0) - 0
Jacob Hyer - Bare Knuckle American Heavyweight Champion - (1-0-0)
Tom Hyer - Bare Knuckle American Heavyweight Champion - (2-0-0)
Ike Ibeabuchi - WBC International Heavyweight Champion - 20 (15) - 0(0) - 0
Ji Won Kim - IBF Super Bantamweight Champion - 16 (7) - 0 (0) - 2
Michael Loewe - WBO Welterweight Champion - 28 (10) - 0(0) - 0
Ricardo Lopez - IBF Light Flyweight Champion - 51 (38) - 0 (0) - 1
Tom Lyons - Bare Knuckle Heavyweight Champion (1-0-0)
Rocky Marciano - World Heavyweight Champion - 49 (43) - 0(0) - 0
1Terry Marsh - IBF Light Welterweight Champion - 26 (10) - 0 (0) - 1

ONCE AGAIN QUIT HATING ON THE TRUE P4P CHAMP & DO SOME REAL BOXING RESEARCH SO THAT YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT BOXING IS REALLY ALL ABOUT. YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOCK A GUY OUT EVERY FIGHT. BUT IF YOU OWN HIM IN THE RING LIKE A PIMP OWNS HIS HOE THEN YOU HAVE SKILLS PYSHICALLY & MENTALLY.

Cshel86
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 12:37 PM) *
HERE YOU GO YOUNGSTER, SINCE YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO RESEARCH I'LL HELP YOU OUT. UNDEFEATED BOXERS!!!!!!
Jemal Hinton - WBC Continental Americas Super Bantamweight Campion - 22 (17) - 0 (0) - 0

ONCE AGAIN QUIT HATING ON THE TRUE P4P CHAMP & DO SOME REAL BOXING RESEARCH SO THAT YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT BOXING IS REALLY ALL ABOUT. YOU DON'T HAVE TO KNOCK A GUY OUT EVERY FIGHT. BUT IF YOU OWN HIM IN THE RING LIKE A PIMP OWNS HIS HOE THEN YOU HAVE SKILLS PYSHICALLY & MENTALLY.

Thats whats up
caneman
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 11:19 AM) *

Other than the 2nd fight with Casstillo and I had a bit of a question with Corrales, I never really seen him fight someone I thought he'd lose too...he is just that good. And a zero is an amazing thing but I think there is no shame in having a loss or 2 when fighting the best possible fighters. Nice list of fighters with zeros though, I couldn't have made that list.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 12:37 PM) *

The two that stick out to me the most are Ricardo Lopez (the anti-Hispanic stereotype) and Ike Ibeabuchi (The "aaah-haaa" moment w/ him is when it was announced he was bipolar or schizophrenic...made sense how he was clubbin' dudes).

mgrover
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 05:37 PM) *

nice copy and paste kidda, a guy whos dedicated to the sport? bullshit, he strolls in when he wants money and then leaves the sport for worse every time. christ some of these new posters are dumb as fuck
checkleft
^^ haha.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 8 2011, 03:10 PM) *
nice copy and paste kidda, a guy whos dedicated to the sport? bullshit, he strolls in when he wants money and then leaves the sport for worse every time. christ some of these new posters are dumb as fuck

Thats exactly what tha fuck it was...thats why I just said "thats whats up" and left it alone. That shit was too damn organized to be his work, lol.
mgrover
the funny thing was that the dude who posted this list

1. Jimmy Barry - World Paperweight Champion (110lbs) - 58 (38) - 0 (0) - 10
2. Benjamin Brain - English Bareknuckle Heavyweight Champion - (7-0-1)
3. Tom Chandler - Middleweight Bareknuckle Champion - (3-0-1)

4. William "Nobby" Clark - Featherweight Bareknuckle Champion - (2-0-0)
5. Jim Dunne - Welterweight Bare Knuckle Champion - (2-0-0)

6. Jack "Duggan" Fearns - English Bare Knuckle Heavyweight Champion - (1-0-0)

7. Samson Dutch Boy Gym - WBF Super Flyweight Champion - 43 (36) - 0(0) - 0

8. Owney Geoghegan - American Lightweight Bareknuckle Champion - (11-0-1)

9. Jack Harris - English Heavyweight Claimant BareknuckleChampion

10. Jemal Hinton - WBC Continental Americas Super Bantamweight Campion - 22 (17) - 0 (0) - 0

11. Jacob Hyer - Bare Knuckle American Heavyweight Champion - (1-0-0)

12. Tom Hyer - Bare Knuckle American Heavyweight Champion - (2-0-0)

13. Ike Ibeabuchi - WBC International Heavyweight Champion - 20 (15) - 0(0) - 0

14. Ji Won Kim - IBF Super Bantamweight Champion - 16 (7) - 0 (0) - 2

15. Michael Loewe - WBO Welterweight Champion - 28 (10) - 0(0) - 0

16. Ricardo Lopez - IBF Light Flyweight Champion - 51 (38) - 0 (0) - 1

17. Tom Lyons - Bare Knuckle Heavyweight Champion (1-0-0)
18. Rocky Marciano - World Heavyweight Champion - 49 (43) - 0(0) - 0
19. Terry Marsh - IBF Light Welterweight Champion - 26 (10) - 0 (0) - 1

20. Floyd Mayweather Jr. - WBC Super Featherweight, WBC Lightweight Champion, WBC Light Welterweight Champion, IBF Welterweight Champion, WBC Welterweight Champion & WBC Light Middleweight Champion - 39 (25) - 0- 0

21. Jack McAuliffe - World Lightweight Champion - 34 (23) - 0 (0) - 5

22. Young Mitchell - American Featherweight, Australian Lightweight,PC Welterweight, and PC Middleweight Claimant - 35-0-6 (BoxRec only has 5-0-4)

23. Edson Pedro Nascimento - UBC Ibero-American Lightweight Champion - 47 (40) - 0(0) - 1

24. Horace Notice - Commonwealth (BE) Heavyweight Belt-holder - 16 (12) - 0 (0) - 0

25. Sven Ottke - WBA & IBF Super Middleweight Champion - 34 (6) - 0 (0) - 0

26. Laszlo Papp - EBU (European) Middleweight Champion - 27 (15) - 0 (0) - 2

27. Henry Pearce - Bare Knuckle Heavyweight Champion - (7-0-0)
28. Jack Randall - Lightweight Bareknuckle Champion - (16-0-1)

29. Young Dutch Sam - Welterweight Bareknuckle Champion - (11-0-0) ????????

30. Pichit Sitbangprachan IBF Flyweight Champion 24(18) - 0 (0) - 0

31. Mzukisi Skweyiya - South African Non-White Bantamweight Champion - 21 (7) - 0 (0) - 1

32. Kirk Daley - (1988-1994) Former Jr. Middleweight Contender - 19 (18) - 0 (0) - 0

33. Scott Daley - (1986-1998) Former Middleweight Contender - 24 (24) - 0(0) - 0

34. George Kandelaki - (1998-2003) Former Heavyweight Contender - 24 (18) - 0 (0) - 0

35. Vinny Letizia - (1990-1993) Former Welterweight Contender 16 (14) - 0(0) - 1

36. Tom Gleason - (1890-1896) Middleweight Champion of North & South Dakota, & Montana - 6-0-3 (2 ND)

37. Niels H Madsen - (1990-1992) Former Cruiserweight 8(4) - 0 (0) - 0

38. Agustin Senin - (1967-1972) Spanish & EBU (European) Bantamweight Champion - 42 (21) - 0 (0) - 1

39. Gurcharan Singh (2001-2004) Former Cruiserweight 17 (10) - 0(0) - 0

40. Jimmy Wilde (Moisés Ortenberg) - (1935-1943) Argentina - 37 (15) - 0 (0) - 5

41. Ricky Womack - (1984-2001) (defeated Holyfield 3 times in the amateur) 13(6) - 0 (0) - 1

Did it to prove that its not rocket science or hard to be an undefeated fighter, so really he helped me prove a point biggrin.gif
pdei47
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 8 2011, 04:10 PM) *

It’s called research for a reason youngster. That’s why there are names that you don’t know. You probably weren’t even a thought in your parents mind at the time these fights happen. But like a true hater you showed your hand before you finish typing the second word in your response. Respect the sport & try not to believe everything you hear. RESEARCH IT THEN BELIEVE!!!!!
EAlbian
yea this dude is a scrub, took me 20sec to find ur list brah

http://hi-in.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=12...amp;topic=14358

Facbook of all place ya dick ryda
mgrover
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 09:53 PM) *
It’s called research for a reason youngster. That’s why there are names that you don’t know. You probably weren’t even a thought in your parents mind at the time these fights happen. But like a true hater you showed your hand before you finish typing the second word in your response. Respect the sport & try not to believe everything you hear. RESEARCH IT THEN BELIEVE!!!!!

well since i was born in 1993 i doubt i was in there minds, but that doesnt make me less educated kidda, see i respect the sport, I respect fighters, on the otherhand you talk shit, and back it up with 5 seconds worth of research...
EAlbian
QUOTE (pdei47 @ Nov 8 2011, 04:53 PM) *

just because you can regurgitate someone else's list doesn't make you a boxing savant retard. tell me something that you actually know and maybe someone will be impressed but until then you's an amateur
MaxPayne
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 8 2011, 01:02 PM) *
Other than the 2nd fight with Casstillo and I had a bit of a question with Corrales, I never really seen him fight someone I thought he'd lose too...he is just that good. And a zero is an amazing thing but I think there is no shame in having a loss or 2 when fighting the best possible fighters. Nice list of fighters with zeros though, I couldn't have made that list.

When you talk about losses, you have to look at a lot of things, including circumstances and also, whether or not the fighter was able to avenge the loss later on. I give Pacquiao a lot of credit for taking a beating from Erik Morales, but then coming back to stop him not once, but twice. I may have questions regarding the weight they forced Morales to fight at, but at the end of the day, he agreed to those terms thinking he could beat that ass again, but that's not what happened. The same goes for Ali, Robinson, etc. who avenged defeats that they took. Even in defeat, if you can take a hellish beating and keep coming back or force a competitive fight, that deserves credit as well.

In Calzhage's case, I like him as a person, but when you look at his record, the only notable names on there are a faded Roy Jones Jr. and a past-his-best Hopkins.

Mayweather's record is incredible because he's fought plenty of fights against pound-for-pound rated opponents, especially in the lower weights. Scan his opponents and just look at the names....Gennaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo, Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley. He's also fought a lot of excellent boxers who were considered stylistic nightmares for him.

To put things in perspective, Jack Johnson is the greatest boxer of all time, and he lost dubious decisions and even allowed Joe Jeannette to beat him once to keep their series of fights interesting. Why is he the best ? Because he fought in an era where the entire crowd was hurling racist insults at him and many of them would have had no second thoughts about shooting him because of his status as the first black heavyweight champion. Even with that kind of atmosphere, he destroyed these guys. Literally toyed with them. There are stories about how he would ask his girlfriend, within the first few rounds of the fight, AS THE FIGHT IS GOING ON, "Say baby...what round you want me to knock this chump in ?"...and he would actually go on and do it just as requested. No boxer in history has ever had a career where promoters were scouring an entire country just to try and find someone to beat this guy.

Jack Johnson, on pen and paper, lost 13 fights over the course of his career. Beyond that, he's the best boxer of all time because of the era that he fought in and the way he so easily dispatched those who were considered the greatest fighters of their day, black or white.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.