Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CompuBox Numbers
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Aware
Why do people cite CompuBox numbers as if they are infallible? Most of the time they seem to be relatively accurate, but not always e.g. Pacquiao-Marquez III. I wonder if most people realize that CompuBox is just a couple of guys pressing buttons when they think a punch lands (jab or "power punch")? You should not be able to cite them as definitive evidence for a fighter winning. I believe many Pacquiao fans are finding solace in the fact that the CompuBox numbers favored their man. What other fights do you remember where you think the CompuBox numbers were off? For me the classic example is Mayweather-Castillo I. They had Castillo landing 46% of his power punches. If you have watched this fight, surely you know this percentage is absurd. A lot of people who say Castillo was robbed point to CompuBox numbers as the smoking gun. Furthermore, I think there are parallelisms between Mayweather-Castillo I and Pacquiao vs Marquez III. I believe if you scored the fight for Marquez then you should have scored the fight for Mayweather since they both landed the cleaner more dramatic blows to the head, had the better defense, and controlled the distance of the fight. On the other hand, Pacquiao and Castillo were the aggressors.
sduck
Compubox isn't 100% accurate. And I agree that it some fights does look swayed and biased. Or are just poorly done.

You got Pacquiao fans saying Pac won because the "numbers don't lie", but if you want to easily rule that, than Marquez definitely won the first two fights, since compubox swayed in his favor.
checkHook
I'm pretty sure that there are fans who think that there is some kind of sensor in the gloves that not only tells how many punches are thrown and the connection rate, yet also distinguish which were jabs and which were power shots. If that was the case, the phrase numbers don't lie would be more accurate. In reality, its still a few jabronies pressing a button.
Cshel86
Yeah they are bound to drop the ball in fights, it happens. I really cant think of a fight off the top of my head that he compubox numbers were all jacked up. It will come back to me later. I always wondered if those guys happened to get too excited during a fight and forget to hit the clicker from time to time laugh.gif
BoxingEinstein

Williams vs Lara

Pacquaio vs Marquez 3

Tha Docta
compubox is either used or completely disregarded depending on the argument you are trying to prove. thats been my experience with this stat.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Nov 14 2011, 03:33 PM) *
Williams vs Lara

Pacquaio vs Marquez 3

Now I just feel stupid, how could I forget that travesty in Williams vs Lara? As a matter of fact, that travesty took me back to Williams/Martinez I laugh.gif
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 14 2011, 03:37 PM) *
Now I just feel stupid, how could I forget that travesty in Williams vs Lara? As a matter of fact, that travesty took me back to Williams/Martinez I laugh.gif

lol...it's ok Cshel....But there's alot...the fight with

Pascal-Hopkins 1

Oscar De la Hoya vs Mosley 2

Pacman vs Marquez 2

and yeah...Martinez vs Williams 1 was a travesty but still a classic fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.