Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JMM vs Morales?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
I saw this idea after stumbling across it on the front page. After last weekend's event took place, I dont see how Marquez lost much. If anything, he gained more by letting the people know that he still has what it takes to give the best fighter in the world, trouble to say the least. If JMM would've been KO'd last weekend, then he would've surely been dropped a few notches and his career time would've definitely been in question.

I can say the same for Morales after he fought Maidana months ago. I probably would've counted Morales out, if he lost in a bad fashion, but he hung in there and gave Maidana a fight that he probably wasn't expecting. That fight definitely put him back in the talks of landing big fights in the future...especicially since he took on one of the toughest guys in the division, just to make a statement.

So now we have JMM, who just lost a controversial decision to the #1A/#1B fighter in the world, but just confirmed that he still has more than enough fight left in him. Then we have Morales who just lost a close decision to Maidana months ago, and pretty much had his way with Cano. We have two older fighters who still have some spark left, who shoudl've fought long ago, and they have enough Mexican fans to do some pretty good PPV numbers.

Thoughts?
Plah
JMM has a lot left in the tank. And Morales is shot. This will be huge in Mexico but JMM wins easily.
Tha Docta
i would love to see morales win this fight. he didnt look bad at all against maidana, but maidana is not very skilled. odds are that JMM whips his ass but i would love to see el terrible pull this one out.
bnoles4life
Excellent opportunity.....who is promoting Morales? GB? Hell, put Saul Alvarez on the card....actually, WHEN Floyd fights Alvarez, put JMM & Morales on the card. Even better, make it a split venue: JMM/Morales in Mexico & PBF/Alvarez at the MGM

This serves a few purposes:

1. Justifies a $60+ dollar PPV

2. It (semi) leaves Top Rank out in the cold...Bob has options on JMM.

Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 17 2011, 03:42 PM) *
Excellent opportunity.....who is promoting Morales? GB? Hell, put Saul Alvarez on the card....actually, WHEN Floyd fights Alvarez, put JMM & Morales on the card. Even better, make it a split venue: JMM/Morales in Mexico & PBF/Alvarez at the MGM

This serves a few purposes:

1. Justifies a $60+ dollar PPV

2. It (semi) leaves Top Rank out in the cold...Bob has options on JMM.

Im still trying to get the specifics on JMM's contract with TR, hopefully it was for one fight, but something tells me that he got himself in some shit with longer contract. If so, then Arum can still be a jackass and keep that fight from happening, all because it'll probably be something that Marquez may wants more than a Pacquiao rematch, and of course GBP is nvolved in the whole thing. If Juan happened to request this fight over a Pac rematch, then that would leave poor little Pac out there...Arum aint havin' that.

JMM/Morales alone, would sell a decent amount of PPVs, so Im sure they would make that fight on a separate occassion. Besides, Im wondering if they would have enough money in the budget to pay JMM and Morales a worthy purse, AFTER they got done paying Floyd's ass and whatever Canelo gets afterward. Thats the reason Maidana didn't step in to rematch Morales on that Star Power card. The budget was already set for the card, and Im sure Maidana wanted more than that $250k that he earned the first time, being the fact that he edged the victory the first time around.

A Linares/DeMarco rematch would be a great fight to put on a JMM/Morales card. The split venue isn't a bad idea, by the way, but like I said earlier, this woul dbe two big opportunities to bring in some big money. A JMM/Morales fight would of course involve Arum, so he's gonna want a piece of everything. Now a Mayweather/Alvarez fight would be 100% Golden Boy, so they could put whoever on that card and keep all of the money, instead of having to share any of it with windbag Arum.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 17 2011, 05:09 PM) *
Im still trying to get the specifics on JMM's contract with TR, hopefully it was for one fight, but something tells me that he got himself in some shit with longer contract. If so, then Arum can still be a jackass and keep that fight from happening, all because it'll probably be something that Marquez may wants more than a Pacquiao rematch, and of course GBP is nvolved in the whole thing. If Juan happened to request this fight over a Pac rematch, then that would leave poor little Pac out there...Arum aint havin' that.

I'm sure it was for two fights (a Pac rematch and/or another fight), but I don't see JMM getting Don King'd in this deal. I'm sure Bob picked up Marquez, not thinking Marquez's popularity or Pac's poor showing would to the level it currently is. So, no doubt, he picked up two fights, MAX.

As far as his being an jackass, that can only go so far. In order for a promoter to truly "shelve" a fighter, he/she needs the fighters help. Meaning, the fighter has to be pretty apathetic, not really know what's going on and have an absolutely shitty contract. I don't think (though I could be wrong, as this is purely speculative) JMM is in that position. Remember, he ONLY left GBP b/c Bob was in position to f*ck that up, b/c Manny wasn't handling HIS business. However, a fight with Morales would be muuuuuch easier to make, as JMM could push to get it done and presumably, isn't in the financial despair that allegedly Manny is. Plus, if I'm Oscar, I'd use my faux Mexicaness to pull on JMM's heart strings to push for the fight. **Side Note: If I was Oscar, I wouldn't have been in drag, doing coke w/ hookers and MOST DEFINITELY NOT allowed myself to be filmed/photographed in the process. IJS**

True....Arum won't have Pac being left out there....what I could see happening, is Arum doubling JMM's purse, raising Pac's by $5M, but collecting on those "advances". LOL. That way, Pac is the one shortchanged, as Arum gets 30% of Pac's loot, at least.
Allmenjoi8
There is your undercard for May 5th, Morrales vs. Juan. JMM should piss on Arum's plans and fight Morrales. Pac then would be forced to get his ass beat by Mayweather. After Pac loses then he can fight Juan who would beat Morrales. May can move on to either Sergio or the Glass Chin From Aross the Pound Khan.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 17 2011, 07:24 PM) *
There is your undercard for May 5th, Morrales vs. Juan. JMM should piss on Arum's plans and fight Morrales. Pac then would be forced to get his ass beat by Mayweather. After Pac loses then he can fight Juan who would beat Morrales. May can move on to either Sergio or the Glass Chin From Aross the Pound Khan.

While I agree with that, but we must remember, boxing is a biz and it's highly unlikely that JMM chooses to give Bob Arum his just desserts over securing his family's future.
Cshel86
I hear ya Noles! Shit Arum got 30% of both of their purses (well 60% of the entire purse) on Saturday night, so he got off good anyhow. If he is willing to make Manny (his prized possession) look bad by fighting JMM a 4th time, just to save his own ass...then Im sure he's ready, willing, and able to do some dirty shit to Marquez. If JMM is smart, he'd shut his mouth and just take this rematch (hopefully he only signed a two-fight deal), then move onto a Morales fight without the help of Bob.

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 17 2011, 06:24 PM) *

Im guessing that at the end of the day, Bob has the last word, which is never an easy thing to deal with. Im sure JMM wouldn't want to come from headlining a major PPV to be a co-feature on another major PPV card. As I stated earlier, he can be free of "budget issues" by not fighting on an undercard, but instead, headline his own PPV card with that same guy (Morales), and get paid what he deserves, rather than crossing his fingers and hoping that he he gets something, after FMJ is done raping the budget for his purse split.
iKeNjiro
Thats a hella ofa fight an I would pay to see it, but doubt it goes down.
Well do we see Arum moving Pacquiao to Mexico for a 4th fight?

Like bnoles4life basically said money talks
an JMM will take that check
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 17 2011, 08:00 PM) *
I hear ya Noles! Shit Arum got 30% of both of their purses (well 60% of the entire purse) on Saturday night, so he got off good anyhow. If he is willing to make Manny (his prized possession) look bad by fighting JMM a 4th time, just to save his own ass...then Im sure he's ready, willing, and able to do some dirty shit to Marquez. If JMM is smart, he'd shut his mouth and just take this rematch (hopefully he only signed a two-fight deal), then move onto a Morales fight without the help of Bob.

That's THE very same reason DLH jumped camp (well, that or Arum wouldn't agree to sharing Mrs. Arum's wardrobe). As Floyd has reminded the public (though they won't listen), "Arum made more than BOTH fighters of the DLH/Trinidad fight." I'm feeling pretty damn confident, he dug in JMM's @$$, too.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Nov 17 2011, 08:03 PM) *
Like bnoles4life basically said money talks
an JMM will take that check

+ muthafuck'n 1!!!!!

No way he's turnin' down that scratch...EVEN THOUGH, he and his teams aren't look'n at the "take home". They're totally ignoring the BICA ( you and I have FICA, Top Rank employees have BICA= Bob's Income Contributions Act)
mrchitown
I'd love to see this fight, it would be a showdown between two legends of the sport.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 17 2011, 08:23 PM) *
That's THE very same reason DLH jumped camp (well, that or Arum wouldn't agree to sharing Mrs. Arum's wardrobe). As Floyd has reminded the public (though they won't listen), "Arum made more than BOTH fighters of the DLH/Trinidad fight." I'm feeling pretty damn confident, he dug in JMM's @$$, too.

Somebody's preaching to the masses! When a fighter this big of a "screw-job" taking place, they should be planning an exit accordingy (i.e. Oscar). That's when you find out how much you're worth and how much you're getting bent over for...all in the same breath.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Nov 17 2011, 10:12 PM) *
I'd love to see this fight, it would be a showdown between two legends of the sport.

Its the perfect time for it to be made! El Terrible is my dude! He was somewhat humble dude, but didn't like his opponents at all (half the time). You never know what you're gonna get with Morales. Marquez should go out of his way to scrape Morales, since he and Barrera had this big ass shadow over most of Marquez's attempt to become a star. The fight should be called...The Battle for Mexican Supremacy!
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 17 2011, 10:28 PM) *
Somebody's preaching to the masses! When a fighter this big of a "screw-job" taking place, they should be planning an exit accordingy (i.e. Oscar). That's when you find out how much you're worth and how much you're getting bent over for...all in the same breath.

Amen! It's bittersweet, I would imagine. You're elated that your "take home" has increased significantly, but pissed off/hurt/angry/embarrassed toward the revelation that you've been giving to the "greedy" for all of this time.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 17 2011, 11:07 PM) *
Amen! It's bittersweet, I would imagine. You're elated that your "take home" has increased significantly, but pissed off/hurt/angry/embarrassed toward the revelation that you've been giving to the "greedy" for all of this time.

Kinda reminds me of taxes! laugh.gif The more you make, the more they take!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 17 2011, 07:00 PM) *

Im guessing that at the end of the day, Bob has the last word, which is never an easy thing to deal with. Im sure JMM wouldn't want to come from headlining a major PPV to be a co-feature on another major PPV card. As I stated earlier, he can be free of "budget issues" by not fighting on an undercard, but instead, headline his own PPV card with that same guy (Morales), and get paid what he deserves, rather than crossing his fingers and hoping that he he gets something, after FMJ is done raping the budget for his purse split.

CShel, not to be pedantic, but just a slight correction, massa Arum's 30% from each boxer would still equal 30% of the total purse. That's still unbelievable and shows that those two boxers are leaving money on the table, as they say.
sduck
I'd rather see this fight than Pacquiao-Marquez IV.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 17 2011, 11:22 PM) *
CShel, not to be pedantic, but just a slight correction, massa Arum's 30% from each boxer would still equal 30% of the total purse. That's still unbelievable and shows that those two boxers are leaving money on the table, as they say.

laugh.gif More than likely, you're right Cheesey. I was just taking a shot in the dark, at what appeared to be simple math. Hell, 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2...depending on the situation laugh.gif I definitely stand corrected.
Seek
Great fight. Unfortunately it will more than likely be ppv but if there is a good card I don't mind paying. Would favor Marquez in this fight of course but I can't rule out Morales. Fireworks no matter what the outcome
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 18 2011, 12:18 AM) *
Kinda reminds me of taxes! laugh.gif The more you make, the more they take!

To quote Greg Nice, "Stick-up kids is out to tax!!"
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 18 2011, 01:12 PM) *
laugh.gif More than likely, you're right Cheesey. I was just taking a shot in the dark, at what appeared to be simple math. Hell, 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2...depending on the situation laugh.gif I definitely stand corrected.

Either way, 30% is a pretty hefty cut and I wouldn't be surprised if his final amount was more than that. Massa Bob FTW!!!
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 18 2011, 01:22 PM) *
To quote Greg Nice, "Stick-up kids is out to tax!!"

+1

The sad part is, after these fighters get their checks...they pay their trainers, promoters, coaches, and whoever else that's warranted a paycut...and they STILL have to pay taxes! Aint that b!tch? laugh.gif Well, taxes are taken, and half the time you still have to pay at the end of the year. Makes Arum looks like an anger, doesn't it? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 18 2011, 01:52 PM) *
Either way, 30% is a pretty hefty cut and I wouldn't be surprised if his final amount was more than that. Massa Bob FTW!!!

laugh.gif Im assuming that "FTW" stands for "Fuck the world", or in Arum's case..."Fighter's Trumped Wages".

mrwigi
At this point, marquez would pick morales apart. I really dont see a point of this fight being made.
Plah
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Nov 18 2011, 03:56 PM) *
At this point, marquez would pick morales apart. I really dont see a point of this fight being made.

100% True. Only point will be money.
Seek

I disagree. Morales still has enough in him to make it a difficult fight for Marquez. I'd definitely favor Marquez but I wouldn't be surprised if Morales edge out a decision
Cshel86

I can see this fight going either way...cant just automatically give it to Marquez. Both of these guys are up in age, has unstable faces (scar tissue), and are somewhat on borrowed time. Contrary to these factors, they've both proven themselves by facing top opposition this year that proved us wrong, and they have a crazy fan base.

The only factors that may effect this fight is, one or both of their faces not allowing them to continue or if they mess up the flow of the fight by having too much respect for each other.
mrwigi
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 18 2011, 06:35 PM) *
I can see this fight going either way...cant just automatically give it to Marquez. Both of these guys are up in age, has unstable faces (scar tissue), and are somewhat on borrowed time. Contrary to these factors, they've both proven themselves by facing top opposition this year that proved us wrong, and they have a crazy fan base.

The only factors that may effect this fight is, one or both of their faces not allowing them to continue or if they mess up the flow of the fight by having too much respect for each other.

I understand what your saying, but right now, I seriously dont think Morales is on the same level as Marquez. Yes, they are both up there in age, but IMO, Marquez has a lot more ring intelligence than most give him credit for. I wuld take Marquez by either a UD or a late stoppage. At this point in there careers, Juan wuld dominate Morales.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.