Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao's footwork
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
I love watching him fight, but is his footwork really as great as commentators lead us to believe:

Just asking.
Cshel86

...Lookin' for "excellent footwork"...any luck yet?
Seek
Jim Lampley is a total douche. So is Manny Steward.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Seek @ Nov 18 2011, 06:17 PM) *
Jim Lampley is a total douche. So is Manny Steward.

You just named 2 cheerleaders.
HazConvictedFelonMane
Pacquiao has 2 left feet. I'll leave it at that.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 18 2011, 06:13 PM) *

...Lookin' for "excellent footwork"...any luck yet?

LMAO!!!!
bnoles4life
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 18 2011, 05:55 PM) *
I love watching him fight, but is his footwork really as great as commentators lead us to believe:

Just asking.

Hype, CLEARLY this is one of Manny's infamous crampings...he's just alleviating the pressure.
Cshel86
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Nov 18 2011, 07:17 PM) *
Pacquiao has 2 left feet. I'll leave it at that.

laugh.gif Cant argue with that!
Cshel86
No way a jab/punch should be thrown and neither one of your feet are planted/semi-planted. Last time I checked, on a Madden game, you should dare ever throw a pass if the QB's feet aren't planted...almost a guaranteed interception dntknw.gif Same thing in boxing, get out of position if you want to no2.gif ...
Box in Hand
I do like the movement Pacquiao uses to evade punches however his footwork looks really good only when faced with slow come forward fighters. When you put a savvy boxer in front of him he is reduced to an almost amateurish look as demonstrated by Saturday's fight with Marquez.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Nov 18 2011, 08:32 PM) *
I do like the movement Pacquiao uses to evade punches however his footwork looks really good only when faced with slow come forward fighters. When you put a savvy boxer in front of him he is reduced to an almost amateurish look as demonstrated by Saturday's fight with Marquez.

Fair enough and great observation (as usual Box!), cant argue with this either. Let's see what lucky contestant will get on here and go life & death to defend his "oh so excellent and masterful" footwork. I feel it coming laugh.gif
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 18 2011, 08:20 PM) *
No way a jab/punch should be thrown and neither one of your feet are planted/semi-planted. Last time I checked, on a Madden game, you should dare ever throw a pass if the QB's feet aren't planted...almost a guaranteed interception dntknw.gif Same thing in boxing, get out of position if you want to no2.gif ...

laugh.gif
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 18 2011, 09:09 PM) *
Hype, CLEARLY this is one of Manny's infamous crampings...he's just alleviating the pressure.

Lol.. funny shit..

Manny has happy feet.... quick legs,. But allows himself to get way outta postion I think.

Can anyone get a pic of Manny doin the "superman" lead left hand? Lol

Box in Hand
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 18 2011, 07:39 PM) *
Fair enough and great observation (as usual Box!), cant argue with this either. Let's see what lucky contestant will get on here and go life & death to defend his "oh so excellent and masterful" footwork. I feel it coming laugh.gif

It really amazes me how blind some fans can be. I never would have saw that foot stomp video coming or people defending it like it was the real reason Pacquiao looked like crap. So I'm sure there will be some people going life an death to defend that masterful footwork that really isn't that masterful at all.
Snoop
I remember telling some people that if they wanted to learn the fundamentals of boxing, look at a Juan Manuel Marquez fight. One guy responded by saying, "Or Manny Pacquiao. Look at his footwork." I told em, "Pacquiao has fast feet, but his actual footwork is pretty fucking atrocious." Things didn't go well after that comment.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 18 2011, 09:26 PM) *
I remember telling some people that if they wanted to learn the fundamentals of boxing, look at a Juan Manuel Marquez fight. One guy responded by saying, "Or Manny Pacquiao. Look at his footwork." I told em, "Pacquiao has fast feet, but his actual footwork is pretty fucking atrocious." Things didn't go well after that comment.

There it is, fast feet is probably the best way to describe his footwork. It isn't that great though.
Hops
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 19 2011, 03:26 AM) *

I remember one boxer saying Pacquiao is different because Pacquiao punches even when off balanced. And trainers don't teach their wards that. I think at one point it was at FH front page.

A lot of shortcomings Pacquiao had were actually his strengths. If an opponent doesn't know by instinct how to fight him then he'll get starched. Marco Barrera did well against Marquez even in a loss. But Barrera didn't know how to fight Pacquiao.
Allmenjoi8
CShels you did not invoke John Madden football. Wow. Just wow.

Difference between a pure boxer vs. a brawler that has no boxing technique. Tyson was a brawler and a good boxer with excellent foot work. Even Autro Gatti had good foot work. Paquiao relies too much on his punching power to get out of trouble. He reminds me of the Miami Heat when they faced Dallas Mavericks. Miami relied too much on their talent to try to beat Dallas. Where Dallas relied on teamwork, basketball IQ and technique.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 19 2011, 09:38 AM) *
CShels you did not invoke John Madden football. Wow. Just wow.

Difference between a pure boxer vs. a brawler that has no boxing technique. Tyson was a brawler and a good boxer with excellent foot work. Even Autro Gatti had good foot work. Paquiao relies too much on his punching power to get out of trouble. He reminds me of the Miami Heat when they faced Dallas Mavericks. Miami relied too much on their talent to try to beat Dallas. Where Dallas relied on teamwork, basketball IQ and technique.

That and the fact, the Heat had NO bench play worth a fuck.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 19 2011, 09:38 AM) *
Difference between a pure boxer vs. a brawler that has no boxing technique.

Im sure ALL boxers have boxing technique, because thats just basic stuff that Im sure ALL of them had to learn when they stepped foot in the gym for the first time and so on. Im guessing that it all comes down to what works better for them in the ring, some stick to brawling while others rely on boxing technique to get them through the fight. You can tell who sticks to what, when the "going for broke" factor kicks in during a fight, some brawl to get out of it and others stick to their boxing technique.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 19 2011, 11:29 AM) *
That and the fact, the Heat had NO bench play worth a fuck.

And coaching. The Heat coach should of been shot. They should of gotten Derron Willilams as their point guard and they would of won. D Wade isn't a point and LeBrone isn't a guard. He is a power forward. They keep making him be a guard when he clearly has better skill around the basket. And his defense would be good if he had teamates and coaches to dig in his ass and tell him to play hard. He has been coddled. I am not a LJ hater, I like the guy, really respected him for taking his career in his own hands. I liked teh fact that he went to Miami. Magic and Jordan, especially Charles big mouth Barkley are haters.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Im sure ALL boxers have boxing technique, because thats just basic stuff that Im sure ALL of them had to learn when they stepped foot in the gym for the first time and so on. Im guessing that it all comes down to what works better for them in the ring, some stick to brawling while others rely on boxing technique to get them through the fight. You can tell who sticks to what, when the "going for broke" factor kicks in during a fight, some brawl to get out of it and others stick to their boxing technique.

I am going to make a youtube video about you if you keep disagreeing with me. I get that boxers learn the basics. It is like in tennis, there is a technique to hit the backhand. You learn it from a very early age, but you take Roger Federer that man has just the purest backhands ever and Justine Harden. Then you have your Sharapova, who wacks the shit out the ball with no technique. She relies on her power (which is just about gone) to get her points. Same thing with May. He perfected the technique and turned it into his own then you have Pacquiao who learned the basics but has relied on his power punches to excell.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 19 2011, 05:08 PM) *
I am going to make a youtube video about you if you keep disagreeing with me. I get that boxers learn the basics. It is like in tennis, there is a technique to hit the backhand. You learn it from a very early age, but you take Roger Federer that man has just the purest backhands ever and Justine Harden. Then you have your Sharapova, who wacks the shit out the ball with no technique. She relies on her power (which is just about gone) to get her points. Same thing with May. He perfected the technique and turned it into his own then you have Pacquiao who learned the basics but has relied on his power punches to excell.

Well I dont know that much about tennis, but I do know that Serena got that ass daaawg! laugh.gif Pac not only relies on his power, but his agressiveness. Oh yeah...he also relies on his opponent's old age, his last performance at 144, pom-pom wavers, and his newly-developed global popularity that tends to sway the judges...sound familiar? laugh.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Well I dont know that much about tennis, but I do know that Serena got that ass daaawg! laugh.gif Pac not only relies on his power, but his agressiveness. Oh yeah...he also relies on his opponent's old age, his last performance at 144, pom-pom wavers, and his newly-developed global popularity that tends to sway the judges...sound familiar? laugh.gif

You had to bring up her ass. This discussion is dead. offtopic.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 12:35 AM) *

laugh.gif
NathanJassi90
Cshel86 why are you talking about Serena Williams' ass? This is a boxing forum.
CrazyBuffalO
I would liken his footwork to that of a car’s wheels spinning on a slippery surface.
Y’see, when you run a car on a slippery track and then push the gas to the maximum the wheels are gonna spin a lot. But the car doesn’t go any faster. Instead the car is gonna slide because it’s unable to gain any traction on the surface of the track.
Yet the over-spinning of the wheels is what makes the car look “fast” to the eyes of the viewers (even if the car isn’t really going forward faster and is instead sliding all over the track). This is an old stunt trick (a way of fooling the viewers’ eyes).

Pacquiao’s footwork is exactly like that. He looks fast and his footwork looks busy. But it’s not. It’s just his feet habit to move like that in the ring. In reality he is just an overrated ordinary fighter who has moves that are only just “ordinary.” In fact, sometimes his moves are even worse than ordinary.
mgrover
i think MP should add superman punches and other flashy punches to his collection since he would probably fall over attempting to execute them
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 01:35 AM) *

I'm sure Serena's ass has "deaded" or sparked (for that matter) many o' conversations
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (NathanJassi90 @ Nov 20 2011, 06:04 AM) *

It's pretty simple, really. You can't mention Serena without mentionin' her ass. It's an unwritten code laugh.gif.
Cshel86
QUOTE (NathanJassi90 @ Nov 20 2011, 06:04 AM) *

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Nov 20 2011, 12:49 PM) *
It's pretty simple, really. You can't mention Serena without mentionin' her ass. It's an unwritten code laugh.gif.

Hahahaha!!! Hell, its hard to talk about tennis without mentioning it!

As far as Pac's footwork, it was mentioned earlier in this thread...he has fast feet, but its nothing flashy about it. He has that weird "step in and dip out" movement that he does...usually leaves his opponent up shitcreek if he falls for it.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 01:58 PM) *
Hahahaha!!! Hell, its hard to talk about tennis without mentioning it!

As far as Pac's footwork, it was mentioned earlier in this thread...he has fast feet, but its nothing flashy about it. He has that weird "step in and dip out" movement that he does...usually leaves his opponent up shitcreek if he falls for it.

He reminds me of Barry Sanders when he does that shit.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 20 2011, 12:23 PM) *
I'm sure Serena's ass has "deaded" or sparked (for that matter) many o' conversations

It ain't real. lol. Yes I am being a hater.

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Nov 20 2011, 01:49 PM) *

What about she won all 4 grandslams not once but twice! Her ass will not be remembered in tennis but I guess viewers like you only look at her dunk
Cshel86
I like Pac's overall movement in the Diaz fight...though it isn't that hard to look good against Diaz.
mgrover
what the fuck ? what footwork? from what i remember footwork used to be using small movements to avoid punches, but it seems the commentors give credit for standing in your stance and pushing down on your feet when punching, something you learn the first time you box, the dude has shit footwork, stepping to the right to avoid someones trigger hand is something you learn as an amatuer, i swear the shit pacman does will be punished for breaking fundementals.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 03:12 PM) *
It ain't real. lol. Yes I am being a hater.

What about she won all 4 grandslams not once but twice! Her ass will not be remembered in tennis but I guess viewers like you only look at her dunk

You got me there. I can't tell you shit about her accomplishments (really, I can't), but I can tell you about the dynamic curvature of her ass.
mrwigi
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Nov 20 2011, 01:49 PM) *

Agreed.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:20 AM) *
You got me there. I can't tell you shit about her accomplishments (really, I can't), but I can tell you about the dynamic curvature of her ass.

I watch football more for the guys so I can't really hate but still her ass is always a topic of conversation. Even the tennis announcers comment on it.

QUOTE (mrwigi @ Nov 21 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Agreed.

You would. lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.