Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In their prime: RJJ vs. PBF
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
bnoles4life
P4P: If it were possible to get these two fighters in the same ring, who would win and why?
ROME
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 19 2011, 04:13 PM) *
P4P: If it were possible to get these two fighters in the same ring, who would win and why?

RJJ. Relative to their weights, Jones was faster, stronger, had more pop, and a not too shabby ring I.Q. He was also more athletically gifted than Floyd and fought with more finesse. While Floyd could potentially out-think him in there, I dont he would have the time to think in there with a prime Roy Jones, who could often think of creative and unorthodoxed ways to hit
you in split seconds.
mgrover
i see a jones early ko or late ko depending how floyds defence holds up but a ko none the less but it seems like a pointless match up, if floyd went to middleweight and fought jones he'd lose and if jones cut to welterweight he'd be so drained
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 19 2011, 05:38 PM) *
i see a jones early ko or late ko depending how floyds defence holds up but a ko none the less but it seems like a pointless match up, if floyd went to middleweight and fought jones he'd lose and if jones cut to welterweight he'd be so drained

Grover...let's think a lil' unconventionally. Say....Roy and Floyd, whenever they were at their best, were able to carry their strengths, assets, etc. to whichever weight (no draining, no NOT carrying one's power, etc.) and met in the ring.

What say you then?
Cshel86
This shit would go either way, in my opinion. Floyd has never been in the ring with an RJJ, and RJJ has never been in ghe ring with a FMJ. Its a toss-up right now. I will share details later, when I get my internet back up and running...this "phone FightHypin'" aint cuttin' it.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 07:04 PM) *
This shit would go either way, in my opinion. Floyd has never been in the ring with an RJJ, and RJJ has never been in ghe ring with a FMJ. Its a toss-up right now. I will share details later, when I get my internet back up and running...this "phone FightHypin'" aint cuttin' it.

YOU MUST ADAPT AND OVERCOME!!!!!! nono.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 19 2011, 06:20 PM) *
YOU MUST ADAPT AND OVERCOME!!!!!! nono.gif

Hahaha!!! Whatever! As far as these two stepping in the ring, Im still looking at it as a toss-up since they've never faced opposition like this. RJJ relied on his athleticism and it got him far until he started to slow down. Floyd on the other hand, has been a pure boxer and a smart one for his whole career...sticking to the basic and enhancing his defense with the shoulder roll and using his elbows and such to take the sting off of punches.

Roy was able to make mistakes and not play by the rules because of his speed and agility. Both of these guys have what it takes to make this a pick 'em fight (as Stweards says), but I would have to slightly lean towards Floyd on this one. Roy is fast as hell and is able to land wild combinations, but he has been able to do that against guys who weren't as fast, as smart, and lacked defense...something that Floyd's the exact opposite of.

Im wondering what Roy would result to, if he couldn't land as quick and often as he's used to. On the other hand, Roy would be a daunting target for Floyd to land on as well, so I see this being a ver tactical fight thats hard to score. Being the fact that Floyd doesn't throw many punches anyhow, the few that he would be able to land, would more than likely count for something.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 09:19 PM) *
Hahaha!!! Whatever! As far as these two stepping in the ring, Im still looking at it as a toss-up since they've never faced opposition like this. RJJ relied on his athleticism and it got him far until he started to slow down. Floyd on the other hand, has been a pure boxer and a smart one for his whole career...sticking to the basic and enhancing his defense with the shoulder roll and using his elbows and such to take the sting off of punches.

Roy was able to make mistakes and not play by the rules because of his speed and agility. Both of these guys have what it takes to make this a pick 'em fight (as Stweards says), but I would have to slightly lean towards Floyd on this one. Roy is fast as hell and is able to land wild combinations, but he has been able to do that against guys who weren't as fast, as smart, and lacked defense...something that Floyd's the exact opposite of.

Im wondering what Roy would result to, if he couldn't land as quick and often as he's used to. On the other hand, Roy would be a daunting target for Floyd to land on as well, so I see this being a ver tactical fight thats hard to score. Being the fact that Floyd doesn't throw many punches anyhow, the few that he would be able to land, would more than likely count for something.

I dunno Cshely....I think RJJ all day. Both of their reflexes were unbelievable and they both shared the many of the same instincts. However, Roy's handspeed, IMO was superior to Floyd's and not to mention, Roy pretty much carried his power where ever he went....hell, he almost had Ruiz on queer street.
neophyte7
Jones is an aberration. Fought teachers, policeman, plumbers... not in mayweather's league and his legacy is now doo doo...
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 19 2011, 08:23 PM) *
I dunno Cshely....I think RJJ all day. Both of their reflexes were unbelievable and they both shared the many of the same instincts. However, Roy's handspeed, IMO was superior to Floyd's and not to mention, Roy pretty much carried his power where ever he went....hell, he almost had Ruiz on queer street.

Lmao! I can agree to a certain extent, but RJJ was out of position a lot...especially when he used to throw those hooks from the hip. Like I said, he was able to bend the rules, because he was so damn athletic and fast. I could see his fight game switched up a bit, because knows that he's he in there with someone near his skill level, but played by the rules. So no flying hooks and "fighting with one hand behind your hand behind your back" stuff for Roy.

His head movement and hand speed would present a problem, but his fight game would definitely change a bit...especially when he's in there with a counter puncher. Look at how careful he was in the second Tarver fight, but hey...you did say a "prime" Roy, so I will leave this part out. Honestly, depending on the pace of the fight, both of these guys would probably have that "oh shit, what am I in the ring with" look on their faces.
jvo1800
Awww man both of these are my fav fighters so this is definitely a head scratcher. The crazy thing about it is i think that both would get hit more than they ever would, but who would suffer the most as a result is the question??? Roy is outta position a lot and i think floyd would catch him but not hurt him whereas Roy catching Floyd in any position i think he hurts Floyd because of the speed AND power behind the punch. Floyd is sharp and tight so i think he would catch Roy in between combinations but i think Roy would ultimately catch Floyd with a solid shot from a crazy angle and hurt him then drop em
mgrover
in his prime jones fought a boxer that used the philly shell, james toney, look what happened to him.
mrwigi
Although Ive always been a big fan of James Toney, he aint no Floyd Mayweather. I believe Floyd would have found a way to beat Roy. I find it funny when people start talking about a fighter who has never been legitimately knocked out getting knocked out. If you ask me, Roy wasn't on the same level that Floyd is. What people fail to realize is Floyd has been doing this since he was old enough to walk. It doesnt matter how fast or strong you are, you wuld have to outsmart Floyd to beat him or pressure him like JLC did in there 1st fight. I dont think ROy could do either.
Cshel86
As fucked up as boxing politics are...this fight probably never would've happened...probably would've been the one that got away from us. Both of their skill levels were amazing, so their promoters would've probably kept them away from eachother. I would still have to give the slight edge to Floyd, and I mean slight in a serious manner.
Plah
Interesting match-up but I really don't see a prime Roy losing to anyone.
Rivado
Roy 3 out of 4 times by close dec. Roy might be just a tad more offensive than Floyd so gets the nod in my opinion.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Rivado @ Nov 20 2011, 01:01 AM) *
Roy might be just a tad more offensive than Floyd so gets the nod in my opinion.

Thats a good way of looking at it. The question of whether or not it will be effective is another thing. Thats why I look at it as a hard to score fight.
Rivado
Is why 3 outta 4 for me. Hard to score fights are a con-o-sewer's delight tho - all good.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Rivado @ Nov 20 2011, 01:20 AM) *
Is why 3 outta 4 for me. Hard to score fights are a con-o-sewer's delight tho - all good.

Fair enough ok.gif
checkleft
A prime Floyd, in my opinion, would be at around lightweight. He carried good if not great power was an incredibly underrated body punching and of course has always had his speed and defense. And roy, well we are talking about a guy who while on his game beat Hopkins with one hand.

I think floyds footwork and balance are better then roys. His ability to come in land shots and step back quickly on balance are amazing to me.

If Floyd could take it the distance its hard for him to lose to anyone. But with roys speed and power he could end the night early with one shot, once again, against nearly anyone.

So like chels said its pretty much a toss up to me too
mgrover
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Nov 20 2011, 02:21 AM) *
Although Ive always been a big fan of James Toney, he aint no Floyd Mayweather. I believe Floyd would have found a way to beat Roy. I find it funny when people start talking about a fighter who has never been legitimately knocked out getting knocked out. If you ask me, Roy wasn't on the same level that Floyd is. What people fail to realize is Floyd has been doing this since he was old enough to walk. It doesnt matter how fast or strong you are, you wuld have to outsmart Floyd to beat him or pressure him like JLC did in there 1st fight. I dont think ROy could do either.

i know he isn't i think mayweathers defence is a lot further, but i still don't see him beating roy jones jr, to last the night he'd have to be on the back foot all night long without a chance to be mounting an offence, and i cant see jones getting frustrated and bitching out.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Nov 19 2011, 09:28 PM) *
Jones is an aberration. Fought teachers, policeman, plumbers... not in mayweather's league and his legacy is now doo doo...

I don't understand this argument. Who didn't Roy fight?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 20 2011, 07:47 AM) *
i know he isn't i think mayweathers defence is a lot further, but i still don't see him beating roy jones jr, to last the night he'd have to be on the back foot all night long without a chance to be mounting an offence, and i cant see jones getting frustrated and bitching out.

IMO, Roy was quick enough to catch Floyd and hurting him. Though I think Floyd was quick enough to catch Roy, I don't think he could've "one punch" buzzed him. I think that is the biggest difference.
mgrover
why not? if mosley did it, just to buzz him would floyd really survive that from RJJ? I doubt he would of had the physical strength to clinch with him
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 20 2011, 11:56 AM) *
why not? if mosley did it, just to buzz him would floyd really survive that from RJJ? I doubt he would of had the physical strength to clinch with him

If that's to me, I think we're arguing the same point.
mgrover
my point is that RJJ can buzz mayweather and then continue to close the show
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 20 2011, 01:24 PM) *
my point is that RJJ can buzz mayweather and then continue to close the show

It's official: we are, indeed, arguing the same point. drinks.gif
mgrover
hmmm beer lol
BoxingStill#1
I don't have a chance to read the entire thread right now so if someone already made this point forgive me.....

IMO.. other than a primed Tyson,..there are few fighters that beat a primed Jones...

PBF ain't one of them...

Too small,..
And till this day has never seen that type of hand speed...

Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 20 2011, 04:00 PM) *
I don't have a chance to read the entire thread right now so if someone already made this point forgive me.....

IMO.. other than a primed Tyson,..there are few fighters that beat a primed Jones...

PBF ain't one of them...

Too small,..
And till this day has never seen that type of hand speed...

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 06:04 PM) *
This shit would go either way, in my opinion. Floyd has never been in the ring with an RJJ, and RJJ has never been in the ring with a FMJ. Its a toss-up right now.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 08:34 PM) *
Lmao! I can agree to a certain extent, but RJJ was out of position a lot...especially when he used to throw those hooks from the hip. Like I said, he was able to bend the rules, because he was so damn athletic and fast. I could see his fight game switched up a bit, because knows that he's he in there with someone near his skill level, but played by the rules. So no flying hooks and "fighting with one hand behind your hand behind your back" stuff for Roy.

His head movement and hand speed would present a problem, but his fight game would definitely change a bit...especially when he's in there with a counter puncher. Look at how careful he was in the second Tarver fight, but hey...you did say a "prime" Roy, so I will leave this part out. Honestly, depending on the pace of the fight, both of these guys would probably have that "oh shit, what am I in the ring with" look on their faces.

I can somewhat agree with you, but I gave FMJ a chance also for the above reason. Real close fight, in my opinion...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 04:15 PM) *
I can somewhat agree with you, but I gave FMJ a chance also for the above reason. Real close fight, in my opinion...

I guess on second hand Roy never stood in front of anyone remotely like Floyed either...

I agree,.. he has a chance..
mrchitown
This is a very intriguing matchup. You can argue things like boxing IQ, size, strength and various other factors but to me it all comes down to their defense and athleticism. Both Floyd and Roy are "natural" athletes. I think whoever shines through in those dept's would win the fight. And on any given day that could be either one of them, I might slightly favor Floyd if he can avoid the big shot from Roy because of his defense. Which I feel is better then Roy's. RJJ relied on his reflexes more then conventional defense. Of course, he didn't have to because he was otherworldly with his reflexes in his prime. I think if Mayweather places his shots well and avoids a big punch from RJJ then it's plausible for him to win, but I wouldn't be surprised at a huge hook from RJJ ending the fight. All in all it's a very close call and could go to either fighter
Hops
Floyd vs Judah. Floyd needed 5 rounds to adapt.

Floyd vs RJJ. Not close. Floyd would need 24 rounds to adapt to RJJ.
JLUVBABY
id give the edge to pbf... only cuzz, and as cold of a fighter as rjj was in his prime, prime pbf which fought at 130/135 was about the best fighter i can say i have laid my eyes on period and my fight library goes back to jack johnson... what floyd does these days is good but for those that never saw his jr lightweight and lighweight days you miss a fighter that mixed boxing and handspeed and ko power to create what was what i used to call picasso's... it was a beautiful thing to watch that kid fight in those days... he painted master pieces in the ring... jones would have had his hands very full at his very best if there was a way to make them p4p the same size at their respective primes for a fight... a dangerous fight for floyd but truth is as history would go on to show floyd had the much better fundamentals and is just as much the athlete jones was... my pick is floyd in a very fun fight... but ill say this floyd is one of the few fighters i would pick over jones... just myh opinion on this subject... jluv is out...
kingknockout
Floyd takes roy's jab away......picks his shots from the outside....and he will land, because there's one thing about being on the offensive.......which Roy will be, your always open.....Do I think floyd would land perfect like he usually does against all of his opponents? Not at all, he'll miss more than a few, but he'd still land important punches....jones will be able to get out of a few of those lasers from floyd, but he'd still get tagged.

Floyd then would fight him in the pocket, baiting roy.....and getting the upper hand.......

The winner of this fight comes down to whoever can make the other guy miss MORE!......which leads to you being tired and winded.....In the early rounds roy would give floyd so many problems it would be ridiculous, but if he let the fight go on? It's possible Mayweather is going to win that match.

Alot of people have to understand though, a roy at welterweight isn't the same roy at middle weight...that was roy's middle weight power...who's to say he's hitting that hard at welter? if anything he might be faster.......which is scary when you think about it......

hell this fight could go either way.

floyd can't afford to get caught by too many hooks though....roy could probably put floyd in a "shane mosley" moment if he lands one of his hooks.
kingknockout
QUOTE (Hops @ Nov 21 2011, 02:28 PM) *
Floyd vs Judah. Floyd needed 5 rounds to adapt.

Floyd vs RJJ. Not close. Floyd would need 24 rounds to adapt to RJJ.

OP said PRIME FLOYD...........depends on which floyd you think is prime.....

Prime floyd to me is between Phillip NDou-Arturo Gatti (R.I.P.)
wolterb
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 25 2011, 10:38 PM) *
id give the edge to pbf... only cuzz, and as cold of a fighter as rjj was in his prime, prime pbf which fought at 130/135 was about the best fighter i can say i have laid my eyes on period and my fight library goes back to jack johnson... what floyd does these days is good but for those that never saw his jr lightweight and lighweight days you miss a fighter that mixed boxing and handspeed and ko power to create what was what i used to call picasso's... it was a beautiful thing to watch that kid fight in those days... he painted master pieces in the ring... jones would have had his hands very full at his very best if there was a way to make them p4p the same size at their respective primes for a fight... a dangerous fight for floyd but truth is as history would go on to show floyd had the much better fundamentals and is just as much the athlete jones was... my pick is floyd in a very fun fight... but ill say this floyd is one of the few fighters i would pick over jones... just myh opinion on this subject... jluv is out...

super-featherweight/lightweight years is to mayweather's career what the dancing 60's years is to ali's career. that was the activity he'd be remembered for. this heavier-weight is important to his career, but as far as making extraordinary performances goes, the past is where its at. i've never seen anyone, seemingly on intuition, land perfect ass combinations to the head and down to the belly like the lighter-weight years in mayweather's career.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.