Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@10:30(ET)/7:30(PT):Chavez Jr.-Manfredo (SPOILERS 45 Mins. Later)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all the action and reactions to a fight that they should really bill as "The Set Up" while at least two of the judges already have their 120-108, and 119-109 scorecards in hand for Chavez Jr. They will probably get Laurence Cole to ref. "Hey Peter, stop hitting him in the face like that!. Next time it's a point!" for this. Whether deserved or not, on paper, knowing Chavez' Jr and his favoritism with the WBC can we expect maybe a 5% chance of justice for Manfredo? This is the thread to find out! Keep all comments in this thread! In the meantime, we could ummmm, guess at the kind and type of bullshit that may be pulled during this fight.

Think Gale Van Hoy's 118-110 Diaz card against Malinaggi, in a fight that should have been no more than a draw to a two-point win for either boxer. This is the bad omen, for which we must prepare. I hope the HBO crew let's on for any uneducated viewers the near impossibility of Manfredo winning a decision here.

Jack
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 19 2011, 08:52 PM) *
For all the action and reactions to a fight that they should really bill as "The Set Up" while at least two of the judges already have their 120-108, and 119-109 scorecards in hand for Chavez Jr. They will probably get Laurence Cole to ref. "Hey Peter, stop hitting him in the face like that!. Next time it's a point!" for this. Whether deserved or not, on paper, knowing Chavez' Jr and his favoritism with the WBC can we expect maybe a 5% chance of justice for Manfredo? This is the thread to find out! Keep all comments in this thread! In the meantime, we could ummmm, guess at the kind and type of bullshit that may be pulled during this fight.

Think Gale Van Hoy's 118-110 Diaz card against Malinaggi, in a fight that should have been no more than a draw to a two-point win for either boxer. This is the bad omen, for which we must prepare. I hope the HBO crew let's on for any uneducated viewers the near impossibility of Manfredo winning a decision here.

Jack

Bwwwaaaaaahhhaaaaaa!!!!!
Cshel86
Do we really have to hear Bob Papa's voice tonight? Where the mute button? Now we have to hear Manfredo talking about possible retirement if he loses no2.gif The mofo already has his mind made up that he's gonna lose laugh.gif
Cheesey1
This Jose Pinzon vs. Larry Smith bout wasn't bad. Nothing special by any definition, but enjoyable. I liked that both boxers were using the jab a lot.
Oh shit, I forgot that the "punching bag" was on this card! That's right, the return of Joshua "stand still while I'm getting bitch slapped" Clottey.
Cshel86
Manfredo's a mindless nitwit with minimal confidence in what he does for a living, or at least what he risks his life doing. Stupid cunt! He says he's not RJJ, Pacquiao, Arturo Gatti, and such...again, what a sackless, incompetent piece of shit! You should feel like those great fighters when you step in the ring dntknw.gif Just when I almost gave a gram of a fuck about Manfredo, the wind blew that shit away. Good luck Petey :lo:
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 11:40 PM) *
Manfredo's a mindless nitwit with minimal confidence in what he does for a living, or at least what he risks his life doing. Stupid cunt! He says he's not RJJ, Pacquiao, Arturo Gatti, and such...again, what a sackless, incompetent piece of shit! You should feel like those great fighters when you step in the ring dntknw.gif Just when I almost gave a gram of a fuck about Manfredo, the wind blew that shit away. Good luck Petey :lo:

Damn "I almost gave a gram of a fuck about Manfredo.." Guess that he won't be getting a Christmas card from the CShel household.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 19 2011, 11:45 PM) *
Damn "I almost gave a gram of a fuck about Manfredo.." Guess that he won't be getting a Christmas card from the CShel household.

Damn skippy! I mean shit, if you're a fighter, you should always put your confidence up there with the great fighters. Especially for a guy like Manfredo, who gets this type of opportunity every lunar eclipse no2.gif
pimpfighterROQ
Anybody tell me what happened to Clottey? Did he win? I miss that guy. I seriously thought that he'd be a big threat to anyone in the Welterweight division. Fucking tank!!
Cshel86
First round for Chavez, just because he's in the ring walking around. He may have farted as well and impressed the judges...

Great body work though...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Nov 19 2011, 11:49 PM) *
Anybody tell me what happened to Clottey? Did he win? I miss that guy. I seriously thought that he'd be a big threat to anyone in the Welterweight division. Fucking tank!!

I would tell you but I think that I'd be breaking the rules of the forum re. spoilers. Whoever's moderating this forum, can I tell the result of my man, el punch bagero's comeback?
Cshel86
Manfredo's gonna be outta here soon...he's standing here looking at the guy. Chavez has some snap on those punches. 2nd round for Chavez...20-18. He's dialing in on Petey and making that putty piece that he calls a nose look all smashed up!
Cshel86
The Abercrombie & Fitch model is in the crowd laugh.gif
Box in Hand
Manfredo does not look like he wants to be a champion.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Nov 20 2011, 12:00 AM) *
Manfredo does not look like he wants to be a champion.

+1

He's the Providence Pinata tonight no2.gif
BigFightFan
Manfredo finally fighting back, this good be a good scrap.
Box in Hand
I spoke 2 soon. Manfredo had an excellent round and just showed why Martinez would decapitate Chavez.
Cshel86
Manfredo located his testicles in that round. I think that left hook by Manfredo hurt Chavez a bit, though he doesn't have much power. That would've been a good comparative round to give to Manfredo...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Nov 19 2011, 11:49 PM) *

He fought at the 154 weight class (not sure what he weighed tonight). As you know he's a naturally muscular guy and apparently had trouble making 147. I don't think that he's ever going back to 147.
Tonight he was in there against a tomato can with legs, I'm sure you can figure out who got the T.K.O. in the 2nd round.
Cshel86
Take a knee bitch!
BigFightFan
He wasn't hurt, almost seems like Manfredo threw the fight. Maybe it was a temple shot that got him
Box in Hand
Wow, talking about De Ja Vu. That was just like Calzaghe knocking him out. LMFAO!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 12:07 AM) *
Manfredo located his testicles in that round. I think that left hook by Manfredo hurt Chavez a bit, though he doesn't have much power. That would've been a good comparative round to give to Manfredo...
I don't know about that stoppage, but I guess better safe than sorry.
Cshel86
11 years as a pro and you're too damn stupid to take a fuckin' knee! Prideful piece of shit! Somebody pass this asshole a push broom since thats what he loves doing with his life. Please go back to your union and leave the boxing fraternity to the fighters who want to compete no2.gif
Cshel86
Where's Sergio for the "grabbing of the belt"? C'mon Sergio!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 12:16 AM) *

He might make JCC Jr. cry if he did that...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 19 2011, 11:16 PM) *

That would be epic.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Nov 20 2011, 12:35 AM) *
That would be epic.

Too bad it didn't happen, lol. Some random fan or somebody from Chavez's camp should've just snuffed Petey for being an incompetent turd and wasting our time. Then the idiot tried to say that he basically got cheated. Cheated out of what? Watching you stand up and get battered, duck and slip in the 11th hour and lose the fight? Man Petey made me like Chavez (for the evening)...thats how much of a cunt he was.
Allmenjoi8
Worse sports weekend for me. First Mike Vick is out against the Gnats tomorrow (fantasy teams are a bust), Then Oregon loses to those used condoms (I hate kickers), then I have to look at Roy Jones blush over JCC Jr. and I have to watch Jr, fight which is painful in itself. Sergio would murder this kid. And what 43 people has he fought? Talk about a puffed up record. Why was Kellerman all of the sudden pro JCC Jr? I guess he received the memo from Top Rank not to bash his product. It has been a rough week for the Top Rank Inc. There is some good news for me... I just found out i saved money by switching to Progressive Insurance. clapping.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 12:47 AM) *
Why was Kellerman all of the sudden pro JCC Jr? I guess he received the memo from Top Rank not to bash his product.

Shiiiit, Kellerman has been calling TR out all night...he may be working with a pushbroom like Manfredo if he doesn't zip his lips (starting from that ugly sore on the edge, all the way to the other side). This may have been a bad weekend in sports, but there's never a dull moment on this board! Let's see which illiterate fuck will open up a spoiler thread about the fight, when the shit is pinned up at the top of the board...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Jack 1000
Chavez Jr. still sucks!

I actually had it 3-1 for Manfredo because all I saw, up until the TKO was Chavez Jr. doing a lot of back peddeling. Manfredo was the one coming forward more and pressing the action more. No way Peter was going to win anyway. 3-1 for Chavez Jr. would have been fine too, which is what two of the judges had, the other had it a shutout for Chavez Jr. I think the Alverez fight against Chavez would be good. Two average fighters who have done so little fighting for a world title. Chavez Jr. is still living off Sr's legacy. Sergio kills him.

Jack
Rivado
Surprised by Chavez's mechanics and heart tonight but is still a work in progress and still has no chance versus the champ of the division. The best we can *hope for from the kid is him revenging the losses of his pops to Delahoya.
Genius
Epic mancrush by RJj for Chavez Jr.
Allmenjoi8
What was up with Kellerman and Jones calling Chavez Sr., daddy? Usually you would say Jr.'s father, his dad, but daddy, really weird to me. I don't think I ever called someone else's parent mommy or daddy. It is weird.

Jones likes the Jr. fights? He has taken way too many punches. Jr. has no punching power and he stinks. He is clearly living off of his father's name. Sergio would kill this kid. Manfredo if he kept going to the body would had been a different fight. Ariza still creeps me out. And when did looks matter in boxing? Kellerman, Papa, and Jones kept saying what a good looking kid Jr. is. Really strange.

Has a Leaderman card been ever right?
thisneverworks
The only thing that this fight cemented is that Max Kellerman is the most annoying announcer on television in any sport. How does this guy have a job? He tries to make these grandiose statements where he just sounds like a total idiot (the tell that one is coming is that it typically contains the word "ain't"). He is basically doing a poor man's Larry Merchant, which is much harder for Kellerman because he doesn't have all the experience that Merchant has writing and covering the sport (it also explains why Kellerman's grand statements suck so bad).

Aside from RJJ, the entire HBO crew on both shows should just go. They are lap dogs for the house fighters, offer no real insight, and have become a very tired act. At this point they are as frustrating to listen to as it is to watch the shit fights that HBO keeps putting on one after the other.
HazConvictedFelonMane
Fight Martinez!!!
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Nov 20 2011, 08:58 AM) *
Fight Martinez!!!

Do you honestly believe Chavez Jr. is ready for Martinez? Personally, I think it'd be 1-sided. Chavez showed me that he is improvin', but he did have his "sloppy" moments. He's a work in progress, I suppose. The thing, is... When you're facin' a fighter like Martinez, you can't be a work in progress, you have to be an established, Grade A threat.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Genius @ Nov 20 2011, 05:33 AM) *
Epic mancrush by RJj for Chavez Jr.

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 08:24 AM) *
Jones likes the Jr. fights? He has taken way too many punches. Jr. has no punching power and he stinks. He is clearly living off of his father's name. Sergio would kill this kid. Manfredo if he kept going to the body would had been a different fight. Kellerman, Papa, and Jones kept saying what a good looking kid Jr. is. Really strange.

Chavez actually showed us something different last night, and he does have somewhat of a chance to get to the big names, in terms of giving them a hard time. The downside of it is, those guys (especially Martinez) wont just stand right in front of him like Manfredo did...so he will have his hands full. I was waiting for some sidesteps and better head movement from Manfredo, but not all dreams come true laugh.gif

As far as the announcers...they all have the "domino effect man-crush syndrome" ...it doesn't matter who the fighter is. Steward is the worst when asked about Pacquiao...he always has that cheesey little grin on his face before he answers the question...highly suspect. Lampley will call another man handsome in a minute, so I dont even get surprised anymore laugh.gif Oh yeah, Lederman's card means dick...just another victim of a "man-crush misshap" when he scores fights.

QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Nov 20 2011, 08:29 AM) *
The only thing that this fight cemented is that Max Kellerman is the most annoying announcer on television in any sport. How does this guy have a job? He tries to make these grandiose statements where he just sounds like a total idiot (the tell that one is coming is that it typically contains the word "ain't"). He is basically doing a poor man's Larry Merchant, which is much harder for Kellerman because he doesn't have all the experience that Merchant has writing and covering the sport (it also explains why Kellerman's grand statements suck so bad).

Aside from RJJ, the entire HBO crew on both shows should just go. They are lap dogs for the house fighters, offer no real insight, and have become a very tired act. At this point they are as frustrating to listen to as it is to watch the shit fights that HBO keeps putting on one after the other.

I'd pick Kellerman any day over Merchant's whisky-driven, backwards-ass, head-scratching analogies that no one ever seems to understand laugh.gif I must admit though, the HBO staff line-up wouldn't be the same without him though.
MaxPayne
I keep having this feeling that Chavez is way too big for 160 lbs. Of course, he's young and can cut the weight but it seems like he re-hydrates like a motherfucker. They did the same thing with De La Hoya when he turned pro, to give these young guys a natural advantage against smaller guys.

I saw some things I liked in there. He put that jab out there to hold the guy and position him for the right hand shots. I'd be interested in seeing how his next few fights go, but I just don't see him being able to hold up with guys like Martinez and the pace that Martinez pushes.

Allmenjoi8
Arum wants Oscar to return and fight Chavez Jr. Why? You tell me.

CShels, keep disagreeing with me.
wolterb
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 08:24 AM) *
What was up with Kellerman and Jones calling Chavez Sr., daddy? Usually you would say Jr.'s father, his dad, but daddy, really weird to me. I don't think I ever called someone else's parent mommy or daddy. It is weird.

Jones likes the Jr. fights? He has taken way too many punches. Jr. has no punching power and he stinks. He is clearly living off of his father's name. Sergio would kill this kid. Manfredo if he kept going to the body would had been a different fight. Ariza still creeps me out. And when did looks matter in boxing? Kellerman, Papa, and Jones kept saying what a good looking kid Jr. is. Really strange.

I think they were trying to emphasize that chavez jr. would not be where he is, when they refer to sr. as "daddy", if it was not for his dad pulling the right strings.

Manfredo looked feather-fisted to me. There were a few moments where he clocked chavez...but i thought his jab did the most.

I feel like all of the announcers are told by the hbo producers to blow smoke up the cashcow's ass. But, maybe jones does like chavez jr, i don't know.
and lol, lederman is a bastard - he is always framed as the most credible, sensible viewer of the broadcast team...sometimes it seems like he dropped acid before he sat down to watch the fight.
Jack 1000
I feel like all of the announcers are told by the hbo producers to blow smoke up the cashcow's ass.

Very true at HBO. I think less true with Merchant. I think Lamply is the worst at cheerleading. However, when a fight is thrilling to watch, he is the best commentator. Kudos to Jim for at least trying to make ordinary fights sound exciting, but his epitaph is likely to read, "I never met an HBO and/or Olympian contracted fighter I wasn't forced to like." The question is, who is forcing the pom-poming of the HBO team?

Jack
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 01:04 PM) *

Chavez actually showed us something different last night, and he does have somewhat of a chance to get to the big names, in terms of giving them a hard time. The downside of it is, those guys (especially Martinez) wont just stand right in front of him like Manfredo did...so he will have his hands full. I was waiting for some sidesteps and better head movement from Manfredo, but not all dreams come true laugh.gif

As far as the announcers...they all have the "domino effect man-crush syndrome" ...it doesn't matter who the fighter is. Steward is the worst when asked about Pacquiao...he always has that cheesey little grin on his face before he answers the question...highly suspect. Lampley will call another man handsome in a minute, so I dont even get surprised anymore laugh.gif Oh yeah, Lederman's card means dick...just another victim of a "man-crush misshap" when he scores fights.

I'd pick Kellerman any day over Merchant's whisky-driven, backwards-ass, head-scratching analogies that no one ever seems to understand laugh.gif I must admit though, the HBO staff line-up wouldn't be the same without him though.

Same here, Merchant's a moron. Just because he's old and has watched more boxing than I have doesn't necessarily mean that he knows what he's talking about. The sooner he retires the better. Kellerman was a good addition to the commentators. He isn't perfect, but at least he isn't so full of himself that he doesn't bother to consider whether what he's saying is objective or not. I also agree that as soon as Chavez is put in the ring with someone who can move intelligently (this includes having good D) and put some punches together we'll see exactly what JCC Jr. is made of and I'm betting it isn't that much.
thisneverworks
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 20 2011, 05:23 PM) *
Same here, Merchant's a moron. Just because he's old and has watched more boxing than I have doesn't necessarily mean that he knows what he's talking about. The sooner he retires the better. Kellerman was a good addition to the commentators. He isn't perfect, but at least he isn't so full of himself that he doesn't bother to consider whether what he's saying is objective or not.

I am in no way saying that Merchant is the litmus test for announcers at this point. I think Larry should retire as his days have passed.

I can't even fathom, however, how anybody could possibly stomach Kellerman. Kellerman's best role in my opinion is sitting high above the ring doing pre- and post- fight analysis, interviews, and such (think ESPN2). As an announcer he offers no intelligent insight and seems to only being interested in creating a "character" than actually improving.

FWIW, I joined some of my other friends and cancelled HBO today.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Nov 20 2011, 01:10 PM) *
I keep having this feeling that Chavez is way too big for 160 lbs. Of course, he's young and can cut the weight but it seems like he re-hydrates like a motherfucker. They did the same thing with De La Hoya when he turned pro, to give these young guys a natural advantage against smaller guys.

I hear ya Max...that 180 just doesn't sit right with me. He looked better in this fight because he was alreasy in shape for his previously scheduled bout against Hearns that ended up getting called off. I cant rememeber how long it had been between fights when he fought Zbik, but he didn't look as comfortable carrying that 180 lbs around. He wont be that comfotable in there with Martinez because he will be forced to move more than he's used to. I dont see Sergio knocking him out because the guy comes in there at 180, but he will have to work a lot hard against Sergio.

QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Nov 20 2011, 08:39 PM) *
FWIW, I joined some of my other friends and cancelled HBO today.

You'll soon regret it...
Genius
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 07:24 AM) *

Jones likes the Jr. fights? And when did looks matter in boxing? Kellerman, Papa, and Jones kept saying what a good looking kid Jr. is. Really strange.
Gays exist everywhere bud.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Genius @ Nov 21 2011, 01:00 AM) *
Gays exist everywhere bud.

I don't know if I would call them gay (we had a topic about openly gay boxers) but just really strange. When Candice Parker and Maya Moore even Florance Joiner were in their prime none of the female commentators boasted about how great they look. It is weird with certain announcers. Like Jawonskie (I butchered his name)... he has blushes when he talks about certain quarterbacks. I think he is gay. The things he says is what a girl would say about her man. Really gay. Stewart, Lampley fall in that category. Just weird.
Cshel86

Here we go again...
Snoop
Analysts have been calling boxers "good looking kids" for decades now (maybe even from the beginning). Sometimes it refers to the level of their skills, other times it refers to their physical looks, but more to their ability to be marketed, not that they have any type of sexual interest in them.
Genius
For the record Sergio Martinez is a good looking guy (no HOMO).
Cshel86
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 21 2011, 10:45 AM) *
Analysts have been calling boxers "good looking kids" for decades now (maybe even from the beginning). Sometimes it refers to the level of their skills, other times it refers to their physical looks, but more to their ability to be marketed, not that they have any type of sexual interest in them.

Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.