Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Listening to your trainer? How many boxers were very good at this?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kingknockout
How many boxers do you think were excellent listeners when it came to instructions from their trainers? any examples?

I think alot of boxers try, but when the bell rings and it's time to fight some tend to do what their trainer says for a few seconds, or a hot minute then completely stop and do their own thing...which then leads to something going bad for them.

Why do so many boxers stop using their trainer's instructions?

I think of the zab judah and khan fight were, pernell kept telling zab to let his hands go but zab just wouldn't do it, he had the defense there, and he was more patient on throwing his punches, but he didn't want to step it up at all it seems, his defense was alright, if he would have stepped up his offensive output a little more he could have made the fight 5x better than what it was.

I've seen fighter's use a jab consistently in one round against a fighter, have it work for them in a major way, for them to abandon it in the next round and get hit with a bunch of good shots from their opponent, some even go on to lose the fight..

you think they would watch the tape, come in their NEXT fight and use the jab more but no, they do the same thing and that opponent too catch them with good shots.
Cshel86
I think it all depends on the discipline of the fighter, when it comes to listening to their trainer(s). When it comes to discipline...Judah was known to fall off the deep end between rounds. I swear Yoel was on his way to having a mild stroke when used to get in Zab's ass laugh.gif

I can definitely names some times when fighters either totally disregarded their trainer's advice or didn't execute with confidence. Man, the crazy things guys do when they revert back to bad habits and go for broke...

Berto/Ortiz: Berto was told by his trainer several times to box and dont just go in there looking for ONE BIG SHOT, and what did he do? He looked for ONE BIG SHOT! Did he land it? Yes. Did it win him the fight...unfortunately not. In fact, he got so excited after the big shot, that he almost got layed out at the closing of the round. Could've been because his legs were damn near shot, but again, what was wrong with him just BOXING and winning the rest of the round? Lol

Pacquiao/Morales: Going into the championship rounds, Morale's dad clearly told him not to do anything stupid and dont exchange with Pac because he was winning the fight. What does Morales do? He goes back in there guns blazing in a southpaw stance and gets wacked while exchanging with Pac...leaving those rounds on the air...especially the 12th.
pimpfighterROQ
Can't believe you would leave out...

Pacquiao vs Hatton: Floyd Sr. told it to him straight, keep his hands up and not overpower Pac. But that advice went in the ear and out the other. Thus Hatton getting knocked the fuck out. I really think it would've been a very competitive fight if Hatton would've just stuck to the gameplan and move his head...
kingknockout
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 06:45 PM) *
I think it all depends on the discipline of the fighter, when it comes to listening to their trainer(s). When it comes to discipline...Judah was known to fall off the deep end between rounds. I swear Yoel was on his way to having a mild stroke when used to get in Zab's ass laugh.gif

I can definitely names some times when fighters either totally disregarded their trainer's advice or didn't execute with confidence. Man, the crazy things guys do when they revert back to bad habits and go for broke...

Berto/Ortiz: Berto was told by his trainer several times to box and dont just go in there looking for ONE BIG SHOT, and what did he do? He looked for ONE BIG SHOT! Did he land it? Yes. Did it win him the fight...unfortunately not. In fact, he got so excited after the big shot, that he almost got layed out at the closing of the round. Could've been because his legs were damn near shot, but again, what was wrong with him just BOXING and winning the rest of the round? Lol

Pacquiao/Morales: Going into the championship rounds, Morale's dad clearly told him not to do anything stupid and dont exchange with Pac because he was winning the fight. What does Morales do? He goes back in there guns blazing in a southpaw stance and gets wacked while exchanging with Pac...leaving those rounds on the air...especially the 12th.

laugh.gif is that the fight in your sig?
kingknockout
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Nov 20 2011, 07:39 PM) *

Pacquiao vs Hatton: Floyd Sr. told it to him straight, keep his hands up and not overpower Pac. But that advice went in the ear and out the other. Thus Hatton getting knocked the fuck out. I really think it would've been a very competitive fight if Hatton would've just stuck to the gameplan and move his head...

I forgot about that one, didn't know floyd Sr. was in Hatton's corner.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Nov 20 2011, 09:28 PM) *
I forgot about that one, didn't know floyd Sr. was in Hatton's corner.

Vivian Harris/Carlos Maussa

Manny Steward told Vivian to box the guy and quit looking for the big shot, cuz he wasn't gonna knock dude out. What happened? Viv shot his load (a la Angulo) and ended getting stopped as well. Dumb ass!
Cshel86
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Nov 20 2011, 07:39 PM) *

After the first 30 seconds of that fight, I was then 110% sure Hatton was in over his head...rather than 100% sure from jump. Besides, who really had time or the ounce of belief in Hatton's corner after he got knocked around in that first round?

QUOTE (kingknockout @ Nov 20 2011, 08:27 PM) *
laugh.gif is that the fight in your sig?

Hell yeah. I still get pissed at El Terrible when I watch last couple of rounds of that fight to this day...
kingknockout
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 20 2011, 08:59 PM) *
Vivian Harris/Carlos Maussa

Manny Steward told Vivian to box the guy and quit looking for the big shot, cuz he wasn't gonna knock dude out. What happened? Viv shot his load (a la Angulo) and ended getting stopped as well. Dumb ass!

man that was an excellent example, I was so mad when I seen harris get knocked out.....I remember he was suppose to come up and be successful in that weight class, one of those up and comers on the scene that was pose to be dangerous and a good boxer....and seeing as that was my first time watching him fight to go out like that? I was just surprised seeing as how a lot of people hyped him up.

and what made it so bad was that Maussa's whole style was awkward as hell, this was my first time seeing him fight also, his punches were coming from the weirdest angles.

I'll give an example of a boxer listening to his trainer's commands, and actually going out there and executing the game plan perfectly.

Felix Sterm vs Oscar De La Hoya...I STILL don't know how sterm lost this fight....never seen it when it happened, but I heard about the robbery, and I seen the fight on youtube this year, sterm fought a perfect fight and still got robbed.
pimpfighterROQ
Let's also not forget Naziim Richardson..I swear I'd pick him as my coach if I was a boxer. He constantly yells out orders like he's fighting with you. See Mosley fights against Pac, Mayweather, Margarito. I like his analogies to motivate a fighter LOL. Also Bernard Hopkins bouts. Sudden flashback of that BODYSHOT yell during Hopkins vs Dela hoya.
mrchitown
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Nov 20 2011, 08:20 PM) *
Let's also not forget Naziim Richardson..I swear I'd pick him as my coach if I was a boxer. He constantly yells out orders like he's fighting with you. See Mosley fights against Pac, Mayweather, Margarito. I like his analogies to motivate a fighter LOL. Also Bernard Hopkins bouts. Sudden flashback of that BODYSHOT yell during Hopkins vs Dela hoya.

Excellent example. Richardson has some very unique analogies and training methods LOL. He gets the most out of his fighters, and the advice he gives them, they follow to a T. BHop being a prime example. But it goes back to the discipline of the fighter. I think for the most part trainers give their fighters good advice but sometimes when it's tine to execute the advice the other fighter might make an adjustment causing to make another reaction. But there are some who just do things one way and pay the price for it, like in the Hatton-Pacquiao fight
checkleft
To defend hatton, he is a slugger. Mayweather Sr tried to make him something he's not, a slick boxer. By mayweathers own admission hatton didn't even know how to hit the pads when he started training him. He had no chance in that fight and even less of a chance trying to box.

But I like Gabriel sarmiento and Richardson thy both seem very level headed and know their fighters very well. Although mosley does tune out a lot
BoxingStill#1
I've always said that is wasn't the fighters ability to listen but his trainers ability to convey instructions to his fighter

This includes under intense fatigue and stress..

Its not always how much he yells unless that's the best avenue to get his fighters attention..

Every fighter is different...

Some fighters respond best to a suddle, informative tone rather than a dramatic antics..

With all that said it about trainer fighter chemistry..

I think some of the best chemistry I've seen is:

Custamato/ Tyson..
Nazim/ Hopkins
Floyed Sr/ Delahoya (idk why, he just did what he said)
Morgan/ Berto (still under observation)

I didn't mention Roach/ Pac cuz I think Pac fights how he fights.. he just does HIS thing..
Same with Roger/ Floyed... Floyed generally makes hos own adjustments in the ring..
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 21 2011, 01:04 AM) *
To defend hatton, he is a slugger. Mayweather Sr tried to make him something he's not, a slick boxer. By mayweathers own admission hatton didn't even know how to hit the pads when he started training him. He had no chance in that fight and even less of a chance trying to box.

Thats the only argument that can be put in place to defend Hatton...spot on! Hatton didn't have a pubic's hair of a chance against Pac and I didn't even see him attempt to box after those first couple of jabs he threw. Then BOOM! Pac started landing on him and he reverted back to what he knows best...lunging, slugging, and wide hooks, but to no avail no2.gif

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 21 2011, 01:06 AM) *
I've always said that is wasn't the fighters ability to listen but his trainers ability to convey instructions to his fighter

This includes under intense fatigue and stress..

Its not always how much he yells unless that's the best avenue to get his fighters attention..

Every fighter is different...

Some fighters respond best to a suddle, informative tone rather than a dramatic antics..

With all that said it about trainer fighter chemistry..

I think some of the best chemistry I've seen is:

Custamato/ Tyson..
Nazim/ Hopkins
Floyed Sr/ Delahoya (idk why, he just did what he said)
Morgan/ Berto (still under observation)

I didn't mention Roach/ Pac cuz I think Pac fights how he fights.. he just does HIS thing..
Same with Roger/ Floyed... Floyed generally makes hos own adjustments in the ring..

This is an even better way of viewing it. Morgan and Berto have pretty good chemistry...minus Berto's brother loud brother. From what I understand, Berto's brother is/was a kick boxer, so I wont completely rule him out. As far as Roger and Floyd...its funny how I stated this in another thread, 24/7 NEVER shows Roger and the team reviewing the tapes of Floyd's opponents.

Im sure Floyd may not watch the tapes, but they never show Roger watching them, and Im sure he does. Im remember most of Floyd's old interviews when he mentions how Roger and the team watched tapes on his opponents, so Im sure Roger gives him instructions during training and Floyd adjusts without even having to watch it.
checkleft
As far as Floyd and roger go I think its just that they know so well what they are doing/should do that roger can't really give him advice other than " keep boxing his ass" or "he's ready to go".. cause that fight against baldomir when roger wasn't there you could tell Floyd got sloppy and away from the gameplan
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 21 2011, 12:54 PM) *
cause that fight against baldomir when roger wasn't there you could tell Floyd got sloppy and away from the gameplan

In what rounds was he sloppy? Just let me know so I can go back and check. He seemed to be precise and on point that...problem is, it was such a snoozer. So, I may have missed those sloppy moments for obvious reasons...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 21 2011, 10:45 AM) *
This is an even better way of viewing it. Morgan and Berto have pretty good chemistry...minus Berto's brother loud brother. From what I understand, Berto's brother is/was a kick boxer, so I wont completely rule him out. As far as Roger and Floyd...its funny how I stated this in another thread, 24/7 NEVER shows Roger and the team reviewing the tapes of Floyd's opponents.

I think your reffering to his loud ass father?
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 21 2011, 03:04 PM) *
I think your reffering to his loud ass father?

Ha! Yeah pops does get kinda loud with that patois, or whatever that mumbo jumbo is that he screams out! laugh.gif
kingknockout
Floyd listens to rodger, ive seen many of times where rodger has told floyd to "do this a little more" or "do that a little more"..and floyd would respond "no problem rog" or "ok unc".

And he did act a little different in there doing the baldomir fight, you can tell by looking at his expressions in between rounds that roger not being there had an effect on him.

Hell roger has been in his corner throughout 85% of his career, of course he was going to have a different look on his face. It was also times in the fight were he seemed more hesistant to let his hands go, where as with rodger in his corner floyd would drop a laser or two on you with no thought about it.

What i mean is floyd was EXTRA defensive in that baldomir fight, he was extra careful, hell i wouldnt blame him, imagine getting knocked down in the one fight your uncle wasnt in your corner. All in all he still made baldomir look like a C class fighter and won a easy decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.