Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has the uppercut become a "lost art" when it comes to boxing?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kingknockout
I see alot of people talk about the usage of the jab being a "lost art" nowadays or "defense" and how professional boxers hold their hands down a lot, or drop their hands by their waist or just don't guard their chin's properly...or forget to when they are in battle.

but when it comes to the uppercut, a lot of fighters don't utilize a strong uppercut game. Now some uppercut's are underrated because they don't look so flashy but they are still effective and get's the job done, but alot of boxer's just don't throw it often, or it just isn't apart of their arsenal.

I think a properly thrown uppercut in mix with a jab, right hand lead, etc could be hell for ANY opponent because it's least expected...especially if you're going against an opponent that has the ability to take your jab away, a slew of nasty uppercut's can put you right back into position for that jab to become a problem.

two people come to mind in this generation when I think about a great uppercut......

Zab Judah and Andre Berto...

Zab's uppercut is just a game changer in itself, If he would have known how to finish a fight....and had enough stamina and better defense he could have possibly stopped Miguel Cotto....I never seen an uppercut as deadly as Zab's....that uppercut would give any boxer problems.

Berto's uppercut is good as well, it might not have the precision and power of zab's, or the quick release of zab's but it's second to none, it's still slick, and fast, and we all know speed= power...so of course it probably packs a punch also.

We all know Tyson's uppercut was self explanatory, and I didn't see much of Tommy hearns fight, just clips here and there but it seems like he had a bad ass uppercut as well.
Cshel86
Ask Breidis Prescott laugh.gif
Sunni6Killer
Bute has a nice one.
PlayaPartner
I think what is missing is the lack of effective body work. What made Tyson's uppercut so devistating was the fact that he through a shot to the body and then came with the upper cut. His body assault set up the upper cut. He made a person bend with the body shot to be in the place he needed them to be in for the upper cut.

pesticid
JMM is a master at throwing it and landing it.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (PlayaPartner @ Nov 22 2011, 02:14 PM) *
I think what is missing is the lack of effective body work. What made Tyson's uppercut so devistating was the fact that he through a shot to the body and then came with the upper cut. His body assault set up the upper cut. He made a person bend with the body shot to be in the place he needed them to be in for the upper cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK1JaIYQjaY...ayer_detailpage

Bingo!

QUOTE (pesticid @ Nov 22 2011, 02:24 PM) *
JMM is a master at throwing it and landing it.

Correct. As far as under-rated uppercuts goes, Ortiz has one.
Cshel86
Yeah, honestly, JMM and Bute have uppercuts that have danger written all over them. JMM usually throws his during a combination, and Bute throws his from West Bubbafuck and flips guys head around. I like Clotteys uppercuts...when he decides to throw 'em.
checkleft
Ortiz uppercuts on the inside are powerful. But southpaws usually have good uppercuts, Bute Alexander Judah. They are just punches that are not easy to land and if you miss you leave yourself wide open. Judah has a beautiful uppercut, he just doesnt let his hands go. Also mayweathers counter upper when people try to dig to the body is very nice.
Hops
The three Mexicans - JMM, MAB, EM. They throw nice uppercuts.
Firefox
I definitely would like to see more uppercuts thrown in fights. It does seem to be fading from fighters arsenals. As stated above, Juan Manuel Marquez has an excellent one (love the way he took Diaz out with the uppercut). James Toney in his middle and super middleweight days had an excellent uppercut also (Check the fight against Iran Barkley). Berto, Judah, Ortiz I agree with as well.
Sunni6Killer
Margarito landed several uppercuts on Cotto.
wolterb
^for sure toney threw em
donaire is an upncomer that looks like he favors uppercuts
Genius
Froch tries his best lol
Cheesey1
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Nov 22 2011, 01:39 PM) *
I see alot of people talk about the usage of the jab being a "lost art" nowadays or "defense" and how professional boxers hold their hands down a lot, or drop their hands by their waist or just don't guard their chin's properly...or forget to when they are in battle.

but when it comes to the uppercut, a lot of fighters don't utilize a strong uppercut game. Now some uppercut's are underrated because they don't look so flashy but they are still effective and get's the job done, but alot of boxer's just don't throw it often, or it just isn't apart of their arsenal.

I think a properly thrown uppercut in mix with a jab, right hand lead, etc could be hell for ANY opponent because it's least expected...especially if you're going against an opponent that has the ability to take your jab away, a slew of nasty uppercut's can put you right back into position for that jab to become a problem.

two people come to mind in this generation when I think about a great uppercut......

Zab's uppercut is just a game changer in itself, If he would have known how to finish a fight....and had enough stamina and better defense he could have possibly stopped Miguel Cotto....I never seen an uppercut as deadly as Zab's....that uppercut would give any boxer problems.

Berto's uppercut is good as well, it might not have the precision and power of zab's, or the quick release of zab's but it's second to none, it's still slick, and fast, and we all know speed= power...so of course it probably packs a punch also.

We all know Tyson's uppercut was self explanatory, and I didn't see much of Tommy hearns fight, just clips here and there but it seems like he had a bad ass uppercut as well.

Never really thought about it, but yeah, good observations. Is it a lost art, not sure, but someone else made the comment about how you can leave yourself open if it isn't executed properly and maybe that's why it's less obvious nowadays and also the uppercut as you said has to be part of a mix, whereas something like the jab and cross can stand on their own more so than the uppercut.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (PlayaPartner @ Nov 22 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Nice montage and well said.
BoxingEinstein

Uppercuts aren't used alot because it leaves you very open to shots if it doesn't have a great impact. That's why someone like Zab can do that because his style of uppercuts is where he swings his punch from where his hip leads and sways with it to bridge the power and speed and he has his feet set up so he can move to suspectible counter shots. Marg's upper cuts are slow as fuck, the prime Cotto should have been able to dodge those shits. Berto's upper cuts are nasty and Floyd's is more precise and quick. My favorites are from Hearns, Tyson, Berto, and of course Zab.
Seek
QUOTE (Genius @ Nov 23 2011, 11:53 PM) *
Froch tries his best lol

This! Lol
Cshel86
Clottey uppercut? Anyone?
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 28 2011, 08:51 PM) *
Clottey uppercut? Anyone?

Clottey in his last fight showed he CAN still be a contender. It's just most boxing fans can't seem to forgive him for taking a dive for a check against Pacquiao. He has the power to hurt, the defense to be ok, and the build to bully people in the ring its just his output. But his uppercuts are classic he's able to easily utilize them because of the type of defense he uses.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Nov 30 2011, 04:13 PM) *
Clottey in his last fight showed he CAN still be a contender. It's just most boxing fans can't seem to forgive him for taking a dive for a check against Pacquiao. He has the power to hurt, the defense to be ok, and the build to bully people in the ring its just his output. But his uppercuts are classic he's able to easily utilize them because of the type of defense he uses.

I agree!...or maybe because Im a Clottey fan laugh.gif He gave it to Calvin Green (I watched it on youtube), but Green was out of shape too. People may be upset with Clottey, but if he squeezes in another 2-3 fights (if that), and ends up back in the picture, then guys will have yet another hard fighter to get past. Its gonna be funny how fighters will start talking down on him about laying an egg against Pac, but still wont fight him. Let's see how that goes...
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 30 2011, 05:08 PM) *
I agree!...or maybe because Im a Clottey fan laugh.gif He gave it to Calvin Green (I watched it on youtube), but Green was out of shape too. People may be upset with Clottey, but if he squeezes in another 2-3 fights (if that), and ends up back in the picture, then guys will have yet another hard fighter to get past. Its gonna be funny how fighters will start talking down on him about laying an egg against Pac, but still wont fight him. Let's see how that goes...

The man actually let his hands go in that fight so if there was a fight I would want to see him in I want maybe a James Kirkland or Carlos Molina type fight. Maybe he can fight Paul Williams.
daprofessor
it is definitely a lost art. jmm is probably the best with it now-a-days...it's rare when u see a guy throw an uppercut lead effectively. he's an expert at setting that up. floyd ain't bad with the uppercut either.
Cshel86
Again, let's ask Breidis Prescott how he would rate Alvarado's uppercut laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Nov 22 2011, 01:39 PM) *

Jabs and uppercuts are a lost art. Guys don't use feints as much as they used to to set other punches up. The jab is the perfect punch to feint with since it creates so many openings and also gives you an idea of how your opponent reacts to punches. If he swats at the jab, come around with a left hook off the feint. Feints are also a lost art I believe. Amateurs don't learn the uppercut and are easy to hit with uppercuts. They don't expect them and when I've talked to people about it, they say their trainer told them not to throw uppercuts because they're open for something to come back. Others said their trainer never even brought up uppercuts. Berto has a really nice uppercut. So does Zab and Bute(southpaws). Margarito exposed Cotto with left uppercuts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.