Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What 24/7 Does for Fighters...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Let's just be real here...24/7 AINT FOR EVERYBODY! It's a major promotional booster for fighters, but more so for KNOWN fighters. If a fighter is unknown outside of the boxing world, then they may want to lean more on the Ring Life or HBO Countdown segments for promotion.

24/7 is for fighters who:
  1. Are known in the boxing community, and have somewhat crossed over into the general public
  2. Have a great or decent fan base
  3. Have had a remarkable performance(s) and created a big buzz on the boxing scene

I brought this up because I've been hearing about these highly unknown fighters being named as potential opponents for Mayweather and Pacquiao, and when being reminded that these fighters are unknown outside of the boxing community and hardly known within the boxing world, people spew out 24/7 as means of promotion.

Absolutely incorrect. 24/7 is meant to put the finishing touches on the inside lives/training camps/etc. of the fighters...there's absolutely not enough time for them to build an unknown fighter over the course of 4 half-hour long episodes...especially if they are sharing 30 mins of air time with FMJ (someone who's known to make the public forget about his opponent's half of the show laugh.gif).

I remember hearing a guy delusionally proclaim that Robert Guerrero is next for Mayweather no2.gif Then after being confronted with the fact that Guerrero was unknown, he cried "24/7" the whole time. Knowing that Guerrero could be a likely challenge, should be no reason to be a blind fan and overlook the obvious factors. Imagine Guerrero's whole portion of the series being overshadowed my Floyd and the way he does what he does in the front of camera outside of the ring.

Thoughts on 24/7 helping fighters???
Box in Hand
I think a fighter needs to come into 24/7 with a strong backing already plus a good story. He doesn't have to be at De La Hoya level but a good backing is needed. 24/7 will expose that person to the average Joe who don't shit about the sport and that will in turn help the fighter's popularity grow. But without a good fan base and story no amount of hype can make the fighter grow.
BoxingStill#1
24/7 designed to bring the general public into the sport...

Same with the other 24/7 programming. (Nascar, football, ect)

I will have to respectfully disagree guys.

24/7 most certainly does its job no matter who the fighter is. The fighter can be joe shmoe, but I think the show's marketing scheme makes them famous

In otherwords...in 4 weeks the General Public will know who Robert is..

OAN I like how the Cotto Marg is only 2 weeks as I mentioned before..I think all the 'non mega events' should only be 2 weeks for 24/7... im into that
Box in Hand
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 27 2011, 02:21 AM) *

24/7 most certainly does its job no matter who the fighter is. The fighter can be joe shmoe, but I think the show's marketing scheme makes them famous

OAN I like how the Cotto Marg is only 2 weeks as I mentioned before..I think all the 'non mega events' should only be 2 weeks for 24/7... im into that

My biggest issue is, if the fighter has no story or isn't compelling or has charisma I usually tune out until the fighter that does comes on.
mrchitown
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 27 2011, 01:21 AM) *

You said exactly what it is, just a creative way to market the fight and the fighters. The marketing plan for 24/7 is tremendous
Cshel86
I believe that EVERY fighter has to have a particular level of popularity before they are even considered in the 24/7 mix. Just think about the guys who've been on 24/7 so far...Mayweather, De La Hoya, Pacquiao, RJJ, Calzaghe, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, Ortiz, and JMM. I cant imagine a 24/7 right now with Bradley, Guerrero, Alexander, or a few others to name...
kingknockout
you have to have a story that pulls the watcher in for 24/7 to properly work for an unknown fighter.

like other's have said, they have to make people want to watch 24/7.

It's better to have a fighter already with a name on 24/7 than someone that's unknown to the masses.....the latter won't bring as much money to the actual fight (if it is a PPV) than a fighter with a name.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.