Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RJJ vs Mike Tyson (Prime/Heavyweight)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mgrover
well this was supposed to happen a couple years back when both out of there prime, but how do you think jones would do? would he be able to survive the onslaught that tyson brought that demolished the larger men, frank bruno and trevor berbick respectively or would Jones's reflexes and speed find the mark and start to really damage Tyson, i cant really see this fight going to points.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (mgrover @ Nov 28 2011, 12:26 PM) *
well this was supposed to happen a couple years back when both out of there prime, but how do you think jones would do? would he be able to survive the onslaught that tyson brought that demolished the larger men, frank bruno and trevor berbick respectively or would Jones's reflexes and speed find the mark and start to really damage Tyson, i cant really see this fight going to points.

Roy... imo.. none beats him in his prime....

Except Mike Tyson...
E.C.LEGEND
Roy would beat him. I'm a boxing fan first, Roy Jones fan second. lol Roy would get bashed after the fight by casual fans claiming it was boring and he ran from Tyson. Similar to how some people perceived him after he beat Ruiz.
King Eugene
Are you guys fucking kidding? A young PRIME and hungry Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones at Heavyweight? Tyson takes him out and early!
mrchitown
With both fighters in their primes, I think Tyson takes RJJ out. I like Mike's defense better to the reflexes of Jones jr here. I think Mike would do some serious body damage and put Roy out of commission
mrwigi
Iron Mike wuld have whooped the shit outta RJJ at heavyweight..lol
Jack 1000
Tyosn in 2. Mike is too strong and Roy is too small.

Remember that Jones' big heavyweight accomplishment was beating C-grade belt holder John Ruiz. Some people might think that Jones could use the movement and skills to offset Tyson a little bit like Toney Tucker and James Tillis did, or even borrow a page from the Buster Douglas book. But to do that, you have to get Mike into the middle to later rounds were he would be frustrated.

Those first three-four rounds, a prime Tyson would have a shot against any heavyweight champion in history. The biggest factor as well. I don't think Roy Jones' chin could swallow a vicious heavyweight punch from a big slugger. Jones vs. Holyfield might be more competitive,, and I would still lean towards Evander by UD.

Jack
MaxPayne
A prime, Cus D'Amato trained Mike Tyson (age 22 and younger) would have beaten any heavyweight from any era not named Muhammad Ali. He was a force of nature in the ring, and as dynamic a heavyweight as there has ever been.

Tyson of that era had ridiculous defense, with that combination of excellent head movement and peek-a-boo style. When he wasn't throwing, he would be using that defense to slip jabs and get inside, ripping those hooks and uppercuts.

Now generally speaking, a great boxer will always beat a great athlete in the ring. However, Tyson was such a physical freak and on such an insane athletic level that he was able to brutalize guys who had been fighting and training since childhood. On top of that, he was a very solid boxer when Cus was still alive.

When Buster Douglas beat Tyson, that was at a time in Tyson's career where he barely trained for fights and his pure skills were eroding because he simply tried to get one punch knockouts. Douglas basically jabbed and one-two'd his way to victory that night, because Mike's defense and conditioning had fallen off like Milli Vinilli's music career.

Only Ali, and perhaps Jack Johnson could have beaten Tyson, as they had the requisite skills and pure athletic ability to deal with the force of nature that he was at his peak.

The Bitchko sisters, Holyfield, Lewis, etc etc, anyone else? They would have gotten assraped. Perhaps even literally.
dhoward126
Buster beat Tyson when Tyson was at his peak...that is why it was so shocking. Not one person said going into the fight that Tyson was showing signs of decline and the right style would beat him. There is a reason Douglas was a 42-1 underdog. Roy would've gotten knocked out by Tyson if we are talking Heavyweight Roy versus Prime Tyson, if it was the Tyson from when Roy won the belt I would've favored Roy over that version of Tyson. As an FYI, Jones was in negotiations to move up to fight Buster Douglas back in 2000 but Roy Sr. didn't approve because he thought Douglas's size and style was too risky for Roy.
MaxPayne
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Dec 1 2011, 08:51 PM) *
Buster beat Tyson when Tyson was at his peak...that is why it was so shocking. Not one person said going into the fight that Tyson was showing signs of decline and the right style would beat him. There is a reason Douglas was a 42-1 underdog. Roy would've gotten knocked out by Tyson if we are talking Heavyweight Roy versus Prime Tyson, if it was the Tyson from when Roy won the belt I would've favored Roy over that version of Tyson. As an FYI, Jones was in negotiations to move up to fight Buster Douglas back in 2000 but Roy Sr. didn't approve because he thought Douglas's size and style was too risky for Roy.

Danny, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Tyson's absolute peak was 1986 through 1989 and it's pretty well documented that his training habits were definitely not up to par. His SKILLS were in decline and his conditioning was terrible. I mean, the guy's lung issues were enough of an impediment to begin with. There's footage of him being dropped by one of his sparring partners during the training camp for the Buster Douglas fight, which lasted all of 3 weeks apparently.

I truly commend Douglas for not being psychologically beaten even before stepping into the ring, and even more so, for being able to step on the gas and put Tyson away when he realized that he was out-boxing him and hurting the guy.

I just believe that Tyson lacked the work ethic at that point in his career, a combination of his disastrous marriage to Robin Givens, the drug usage and the explosion of fame and fortune, to mount any kind of sustainable challenge.

He's probably boxing's worst case of "What might have been", when you really think about it.
dhoward126
No, Tyson's peak ended when he was knocked out by Douglas. Tyson fought Douglas five months after he KOd Carl Williams in one round, and almost a year after he stopped Frank Bruno in five. That is no determination that his skills dropped off, these were two fights after what was considered his best performance when he frightened Michael Spinks so bad they stopped the fight. The Douglas fight was in February of 1990.

Floyd Mayweather Jr was handled in sparring by Paul Spadafora in 2000, Muhammad Ali would also get beat up in sparring because he was lazy in training and BJ Flores knocked David Haye out cold in sparring. That's not a determinant that his skills were in decline, that was only made apparent when he got beat by Douglas. Sure, now we know he was partying like a mofo in Japan and was being lazy and all that, but if he KOd Douglas in three rounds, then what? We'd still think Tyson was in his prime, yes?
MaxPayne
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Dec 1 2011, 10:57 PM) *
No, Tyson's peak ended when he was knocked out by Douglas. Tyson fought Douglas five months after he KOd Carl Williams in one round, and almost a year after he stopped Frank Bruno in five. That is no determination that his skills dropped off, these were two fights after what was considered his best performance when he frightened Michael Spinks so bad they stopped the fight. The Douglas fight was in February of 1990.

Floyd Mayweather Jr was handled in sparring by Paul Spadafora in 2000, Muhammad Ali would also get beat up in sparring because he was lazy in training and BJ Flores knocked David Haye out cold in sparring. That's not a determinant that his skills were in decline, that was only made apparent when he got beat by Douglas. Sure, now we know he was partying like a mofo in Japan and was being lazy and all that, but if he KOd Douglas in three rounds, then what? We'd still think Tyson was in his prime, yes?

No, it would simply be a case of the inevitable being put off. Once again, that fight was the breaking point: the perfect storm of his training habits going down the tubes and an opponent who could expose his lack of conditioning and his over-reliance on trying to look for one punch KO's instead of breaking a guy down. He was physically at his peak because the guy was only 24 years old at the time, but the reality is that as a boxer he wasn't nearly at his best.

He claims it as much in "Tyson" the documentary, talking about how he got to a certain point and then basically gave up on training or continuing to keep his skills sharp.

Danny, at this point, we're comparing apples and oranges. I'm in agreement with you that he was well within his physical peak and that his skills and technique were still there, but as a boxer, he had seen better days. I mean, when you're not training and lack the kind of conditioning needed to go deep in a fight, you won't even be able to use your skills and abilities properly.

The day Tyson stopped training hard, the inevitable was on its way. It's simply that his athletic ability and fight night adrenaline were able to suffice in the Carl Williams and Bruno fights. Douglas of all people simply happened to be the participant during the perfect storm where Tyson's otherworldly athletic gifts couldn't make up for his lack of training.
Cshel86
Love it! Max and Danny squaring off with nothing but hard cold STRAIGHT BOXING FACTS! Im eatin' my popcorn over here! Good stuff!
boxingthefan
haha. mike tyson would absolutely murder jones. a prime tyson is no ruiz. tyson easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.