Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maidana vs Alexander Feb. 25-Preview and Poll
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Seek
Over at the scene

"An agreement has been reached" and will take place in Jan or Feb at the welterweight limit of 147 lbs!

Way to go Golden Boy! Now this is going to be interesting. This fight could go either way. Leaning towards Alexander at the moment.

Thoughts?
checkleft
According to boxing scene the fight is done they are just working on a date, confirmed by cunningham.

I hope Alexander gets some karma for latest robbery on Lucas, and Maidana is the perfect guy to deliver..

Any fight with Maidana is pretty good, what are your guys thoughts on this?
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 28 2011, 04:50 PM) *
According to boxing scene the fight is done they are just working on a date, confirmed by cunningham.

I hope Alexander gets some karma for latest robbery on Lucas, and Maidana is the perfect guy to deliver..

Wow...this will be closely looked and compared to Alexander's fight with Matthysse. Now we will see who is the harder puncher becuz Lucas was tagging and throwing bombs on Devon's chin in alot of those later rounds and he ate them pretty well which showed he has a good chin otherwise he would've gotten KO'd. I think Maidana should target that body really early and then go up stairs to slow down Devon's movements. This will be interesting I hope Devon gets knocked out he's been an embarassment in his last 3 fights. So Rios' dream fight with Maidan won't happen unless he moves up to 147 and he's at 135. That leaves a possible Matthysse vs Rios fight.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Seek @ Nov 28 2011, 04:49 PM) *
Over at the scene

"An agreement has been reached" and will take place in Jan or Feb at the welterweight limit of 147 lbs!

Way to go Golden Boy! Now this is going to be interesting. This fight could go either way. Leaning towards Alexander at the moment.

Thoughts?

no offense but another guy has already posted this before you so this might get added to the other guys post. Check his post for my thoughts on this....I'm leaning towards Maidana if this is staged anywhere else besides St.Louis
Seek
QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 28 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Bastard! You beat me to it!

LUCK!

Jp man lol
Seek
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Nov 28 2011, 06:00 PM) *
no offense but another guy has already posted this before you so this might get added to the other guys post. Check his post for my thoughts on this....I'm leaning towards Maidana if this is staged anywhere else besides St.Louis

I like Alexander in this but now that I think about it....he's a sucker for the right hand! You can't miss with it against this guy and Maidana's right hand is money. He can shoot it straight down the middle or throw it VERY wide. This will be a war!
checkleft
Not cool sleep.gif
Seek
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Nov 28 2011, 05:57 PM) *
Wow...this will be closely looked and compared to Alexander's fight with Matthysse. Now we will see who is the harder puncher becuz Lucas was tagging and throwing bombs on Devon's chin in alot of those later rounds and he ate them pretty well which showed he has a good chin otherwise he would've gotten KO'd. I think Maidana should target that body really early and then go up stairs to slow down Devon's movements. This will be interesting I hope Devon gets knocked out he's been an embarassment in his last 3 fights. So Rios' dream fight with Maidan won't happen unless he moves up to 147 and he's at 135. That leaves a possible Matthysse vs Rios fight.

I didn't like the way Alexander handled the adversity vs Bradley. He was getting shut out and didn't handle the cuts/butts too well. He pretty much wanted out and didn't want to fight anymore. But he did a good job vs Matthyse. What I mean by that is he did what he had to do, fought Matthyse off of him and threw a lot of punches. I don't think he won the fight but he sucked it up and fought hard.

However....he throws arm punches though and doesn't really follow through at all. No power and also he had no answer for the right hands of Matthyse which were landing with ease. Matthyse gave the fight away with his slow start and lack of punch output. He just kept waiting and waiting for a big punch to put out Alexander but Devon took them well.

Maidana will not make the mistake of starting slow or lacking punch output. And he throws every punch from every angle with very bad intentions. I like Alexander because he has the movement and angles to box Maidana for 12 rounds but he has no idea how to avoid the right hand and that is trouble vs Maidana. BIG trouble...
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Seek @ Nov 28 2011, 05:29 PM) *
I didn't like the way Alexander handled the adversity vs Bradley. He was getting shut out and didn't handle the cuts/butts too well. He pretty much wanted out and didn't want to fight anymore. But he did a good job vs Matthyse. What I mean by that is he did what he had to do, fought Matthyse off of him and threw a lot of punches. I don't think he won the fight but he sucked it up and fought hard.

However....he throws arm punches though and doesn't really follow through at all. No power and also he had no answer for the right hands of Matthyse which were landing with ease. Matthyse gave the fight away with his slow start and lack of punch output. He just kept waiting and waiting for a big punch to put out Alexander but Devon took them well.

Maidana will not make the mistake of starting slow or lacking punch output. And he throws every punch from every angle with very bad intentions. I like Alexander because he has the movement and angles to box Maidana for 12 rounds but he has no idea how to avoid the right hand and that is trouble vs Maidana. BIG trouble...

Very good analysis. I agree, Maidana punches with bad intentions but so did Lucas it's that he's just a very slow starter. I think Lucas is an overall better fighter than Maidana. He can thrown combos, he mixes it up to the body and head (in some fights), and he decently box. Maidana struggled with a past his prime Corley while Matthysse dropped him over 7 times and was one of the very few who have stopped him and Corley is no push over for anyone cuz of his awkward style. I think Devon should be able to dodge most of Maidana's shots early since Maidana is slower than Matthysse but Devon was still getting tagged up. Maidana will have to trap Devon along the ropes and bang away at his body and then go all out on that chin and finish up the job. I see this going to 11 rounds before Maidana stops him by TKO. Good Job Goldeboy...Fuck Top Rank...bring Rios, Gamboa and Donaire to GB so we can get some real exciting fights done, Arum is fucking shit up. First Juanma-Gamboa now Mayweather-Pacquiao. fucking die Arum...smfh
Seek
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Nov 28 2011, 06:40 PM) *
Very good analysis. I agree, Maidana punches with bad intentions but so did Lucas it's that he's just a very slow starter. I think Lucas is an overall better fighter than Maidana. He can thrown combos, he mixes it up to the body and head (in some fights), and he decently box. Maidana struggled with a past his prime Corley while Matthysse dropped him over 7 times and was one of the very few who have stopped him and Corley is no push over for anyone cuz of his awkward style. I think Devon should be able to dodge most of Maidana's shots early since Maidana is slower than Matthysse but Devon was still getting tagged up. Maidana will have to trap Devon along the ropes and bang away at his body and then go all out on that chin and finish up the job. I see this going to 11 rounds before Maidana stops him by TKO. Good Job Goldeboy...Fuck Top Rank...bring Rios, Gamboa and Donaire to GB so we can get some real exciting fights done, Arum is fucking shit up. First Juanma-Gamboa now Mayweather-Pacquiao. fucking die Arum...smfh

Great points. I agree Matthyse is a better boxer as in he is more well-rounded and does things by the book you can say but Maidana has a great way of hiding his punches. He hits you from every which way and starts off very fast. I don't think Alexander is a very smart fighter. He doesn't make any mid-fight adjustments and doesn't really set up his punches well. TKO for Maidana would be a great bet.
Cshel86
I love this fight, but its not a good one for Devon. He can box and circle Maidana, but only for so long. He doesn't have the power to make Maidana repsect him, therefore, he will HAVE to fight him at some point of the bout...just as EVERY one of Maidana's opponents have had to do. That grunting that he does before he throws, always allows his opponents to know when the punch is coming...gladly, Maidana is slow enough for Devon to keep that mess up all night.

To think that Devon had problems with Matthysse (somebody who serially fucked himself by just staring at Alexander for the first few rounds and didn't throw as many punches as he should've). As soon as the bell rings, Maidana will come out swinging like he's coked up and dusted, and wont stop until the final bell. Devon will do himself wonders why using his jab, turning Maidana, and trying to knock his rubs out of place.

If not, then we'll see Devon get caught up in a fight, and possibly get stopped in the last quarter of the bout. Like I said, most smart fighters who fought Maidana have tried to play it smart and safe, but always had a moment(s) where they had no choice but to fight...if Alexander can prove himself in this situation, then hats off to him.
Hotsauce
this shit cray!!!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Nov 28 2011, 09:51 PM) *
this shit cray!!!

laugh.gif
Hotsauce
winner gets ortiz-berto winner???
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Nov 28 2011, 09:57 PM) *

Hmmm...nah. Wanna know why? Because I got excited that quickly at the thought of that match-up and its too good to be true. Too soon. You know how promoters do it...they make you wait for the good fights laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (Seek @ Nov 28 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Bastard! You beat me to it!

LUCK!

Jp man lol

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Nov 28 2011, 06:40 PM) *

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Nov 28 2011, 10:57 PM) *

I think Khan said he wants the winner of ortiz berto... Any of these guys matched up against each other is great for boxing.

pimpfighterROQ
Maidana will fuck him up. Devon couldn't do shit to Bradley's pressure. Maidana just goes in there and wants to knock you the fuck out. He's like a damn killer robot.
BigFightFan
Atleast give Devon credit for taking on a tough opponent at 147 and not cherry picking.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Nov 29 2011, 09:46 AM) *
Atleast give Devon credit for taking on a tough opponent at 147 and not cherry picking.

He took on a tough opponent (Matthysse) at 140, and look how he performed dntknw.gif I was hoping the Paulie fight would've worked out, to give Devon a good fight (skill-wise) at 147, without the possibility of getting overwhelmed and KO'd. He may need to cherry pick for a short time, if he wants to be around for a while.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 29 2011, 10:43 AM) *
He took on a tough opponent (Matthysse) at 140, and look how he performed dntknw.gif I was hoping the Paulie fight would've worked out, to give Devon a good fight (skill-wise) at 147, without the possibility of getting overwhelmed and KO'd. He may need to cherry pick for a short time, if he wants to be around for a while.

Do you think the added weight will increase his power? Some big shots from Devon will back Maidana off and he may be able to fight his type of fight
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Nov 29 2011, 12:13 PM) *
Do you think the added weight will increase his power? Some big shots from Devon will back Maidana off and he may be able to fight his type of fight

It may...it may not. Not everybody responds well to moving up in weight, but this is first time in his professional career, so who knows. I guess it remains to be seen. Maybe the 140 lb strain really did hurt him in the Matthysse fight. IF he throws those hard shots, then it may help him, but he's not regarded as a big power puncher anyhow. Like I said, the weight may just help him, or it or may not do much for him...
Cheesey1
Yet another very good matchup! Got to go with the better boxer and pick Alexander.
It would be great if they announced OSDT FTW for this bout too (like Berto vs. Ortiz). I think that if boxing made an agrressive push to make sure that it's clean of 'roids and make sure that's circulated through the various media, then that would only help the sport's popularity and help remind people that boxing truly is a gentleman's (and ladies too) sport.
Allmenjoi8
This fight may or not break Alexander's career. It seems like he is losing steam. He needs an action pact fight to keep people interested in him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 29 2011, 01:54 PM) *
This fight may or not break Alexander's career. It seems like he is losing steam. He needs an action pact fight to keep people interested in him.

He needs to keep from getting wacked convincingly, if he wants people to stay interested in him. You're right, he is losing a bit of steam dntknw.gif
Plah
I'll take Maidana over Devon any day. Sig bet anyone?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Plah @ Nov 29 2011, 08:24 PM) *
I'll take Maidana over Devon any day. Sig bet anyone?

Thats what the fuck Im talkin' about! dntknw.gif Let's see who steps up! I got Maidana on this one...hope Devon doesn't take it too hard in this one.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 29 2011, 08:39 PM) *
He needs to keep from getting wacked convincingly, if he wants people to stay interested in him. You're right, he is losing a bit of steam dntknw.gif

I am sorry did I read this wrong... wait let me put on my glasses.... wow! Either the world is ending or you have started your mid week drinking early. I have to enjoy this moment drinks.gif yahoo.gif
wolterb
maidana gots it in the bag if devon goes down. if it goes to the scorecards and no knockdowns took place then the judges gonna give it to alexander...
i give the edge to maidana but this seems like itd be a good scrap
Cshel86
ok.gif
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 29 2011, 09:40 PM) *
[/b]
I have to enjoy this moment

Enjoy it while it lasts...

QUOTE (wolterb @ Nov 30 2011, 09:44 AM) *
maidana gots it in the bag if devon goes down. if it goes to the scorecards and no knockdowns took place then the judges gonna give it to alexander...
i give the edge to maidana but this seems like itd be a good scrap

Spot on! Though I still find it a little hard for the judges to give the cards to Devon if no knockdowns occur. If anything, the rounds will be as close as the Matthysse fight, because Maidana has the tendency to fight hard in those championship rounds and try everything, even if he's way behind on the cards.

The scary part about this bout is, Devon will HAVE to fight Maidana at some point of the fight, and the fact that he can be dog-tired at the end of the fight and still come close to closing the fight by way of KO is huge factor that cant be overlooked. Great post...as usual
BoxingEinstein

Although I believe Matthysse is an overall better fighter than Maidana it's Maidana iron will and his last fight he showed the ability to slip punches even if the opponent was a cab driver he still showed that he CAN slip punches if need be and counter with his own. If he uses that method more often he can become an even bigger threat and also shown how to pick his spots better and not just waste punches when he have his opponents hurt. To this day I still think Cortez saved Khan in that 10th round, he kept Maidana from working in the inside to make Khan lose his legs even more. But thats the business for ya.....Devon has one of hell of a beard because Matthysse hits hard also and was close to stopping Judah. Maidana isn't like Matthysse when it comes to output he goes in there from the first round to the last and tries to knock you out. I will use this fight to compare Matthysse.

BTW....I sent a letter to the company of GOLDENBOY to one of their respondents the idea of hosting a Maidana and Matthysse fight in the future it's only right.
checkleft
Maaaan this shit better not be in the Lu..
PColeman28
It is in damn st louis, it's on the fight hype front page......Maidana better knock him out if he wants to win lol
Hittman25
Marcos Maidana vs Devon Alexander in St Louis...fuck ya
Allmenjoi8
Alexander's career is on life support. If he can get a big win in his hometown then he can probably be on a big fight card. Maybe Mayweather's May 5th card. He has to look impressive. Maidana needs a break because he has been getting the hard knocks of the boxing world. It should be a good scrap. Devon just reminds me of Cuba Gooding Jr from that movie The Gladiator. I have no idead why.
Cshel86
An ass-whoopin' can happen anywhere...believe that. Motherfuckers get their asses whooped all over the world, so Devon's backyard wont mean a damn thing. Maidana never fights to win rounds any damn way, he swings for the fences and hope that you relive your adolescents during an 8-count by the ref...if you happen to get up for more.

Knowing that he wont have a fair shake on the cards, will give Maidana that much more motivation to snap Devon's head back like a pez dispenser and try to beat him to submission. St. Louis will be a quiet city that night no2.gif ...
Seek
I like Alexander in this one. Even though he's a sucker for the right hand, Maidana can be put down. Alexander has the athleticism, punch output and angles to knock Maidana down and gain his respect. That and I think he'll carry the weight better at 147. I'll be studying them again but Alexander should win this by a close decision.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 12:56 PM) *
I like Alexander in this one. Even though he's a sucker for the right hand, Maidana can be put down. Alexander has the athleticism, punch output and angles to knock Maidana down and gain his respect. That and I think he'll carry the weight better at 147. I'll be studying them again but Alexander should win this by a close decision.

Alexander has some heavy lifting to do in this one. You're right, he has the angles to knock Maidana down, but it's a sad reality when you have to do more than knock Maidana down to get respect. Hell, Ortiz dropped him 3 times, and he has crazy pop behind his punches. Khan even dropped Maidana with a body shot, but he lucked out at and got saved by the bell.

So, Alexander is going to have to outdo or finish what Khan and Ortiz did with Maidana, and I dont really see him doing that. He did his best to box his way to a victory with Matthysse, but he got dropped and almost got stopped in the 7th or 8th round...very nasty fight. Imagine the pressure Maidana will put on him, because to be dead honest, Matthysse let him off the hook, by letting him bank some rounds and leaving those last two rounds in the air...Maidana wont allow him to do that.
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 21 2012, 06:57 PM) *
Alexander has some heavy lifting to do in this one. You're right, he has the angles to knock Maidana down, but it's a sad reality when you have to do more than knock Maidana down to get respect. Hell, Ortiz dropped him 3 times, and he has crazy pop behind his punches. Khan even dropped Maidana with a body shot, but he lucked out at and got saved by the bell.

So, Alexander is going to have to outdo or finish what Khan and Ortiz did with Maidana, and I dont really see him doing that. He did his best to box his way to a victory with Matthysse, but he got dropped and almost got stopped in the 7th or 8th round...very nasty fight. Imagine the pressure Maidana will put on him, because to be dead honest, Matthysse let him off the hook, by letting him bank some rounds and leaving those last two rounds in the air...Maidana wont allow him to do that.

Khan lacks the ability to fight while going backwards and lacks an inside game and Ortiz couldnt dig down deep enough to see the fight through. Alexander wont have either of those problems. Even tho he didnt look great vs Matthysse he showed heart, was very active and fought him off. Plus i believe the weight is gonna favor Devon. I like Maidana but i see him coming up short here.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 22 2012, 01:14 AM) *
Khan lacks the ability to fight while going backwards and lacks an inside game and Ortiz couldnt dig down deep enough to see the fight through. Alexander wont have either of those problems. Even tho he didnt look great vs Matthysse he showed heart, was very active and fought him off. Plus i believe the weight is gonna favor Devon. I like Maidana but i see him coming up short here.

I will take you up on your observation in the meantime. It all remains to be seen, and Im actually ready to see it!
daprofessor
maidana is tailor made for alexander. should be an easy win for him. he'll walk maidana in to plenty of shots. i also believe he was looking like shit because he was killing himself to make weight. that won't be an issue at 147. full hydration does the body well. he'll make maidana look like the slow footed, wide swinging plodder that he is.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 24 2012, 01:57 AM) *
maidana is tailor made for alexander. should be an easy win for him. he'll walk maidana in to plenty of shots. i also believe he was looking like shit because he was killing himself to make weight. that won't be an issue at 147. full hydration does the body well. he'll make maidana look like the slow footed, wide swinging plodder that he is.

Let's hope that you're right, because if not, then we'll see the destruction of Alexander.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 24 2012, 10:29 AM) *
Let's hope that you're right, because if not, then we'll see the destruction of Alexander.

50% of the time i get it 100% right. smile.gif
wolterb
I can't wait for this fight...

respect for alexander went way up after I read the front page's interview with him. He isn't afraid of critiquing himself and seeing there are areas he needs to grow in etc.
that characteristic is gonna do oodles for him. hopefully he'll earn this victory unlike the matthyse fight where there was room for doubt and the hometown factor got called into question.

anybody else think alexander has potential to become a real threat if he continues to learn?
checkleft
QUOTE (wolterb @ Jan 25 2012, 07:48 PM) *
I can't wait for this fight...

respect for alexander went way up after I read the front page's interview with him. He isn't afraid of critiquing himself and seeing there are areas he needs to grow in etc.
that characteristic is gonna do oodles for him. hopefully he'll earn this victory unlike the matthyse fight where there was room for doubt and the hometown factor got called into question.

anybody else think alexander has potential to become a real threat if he continues to learn?

My opinion is no. He fights the same way every fight and still pitty pat punches. It's a shame because he has the attributes but he just doesn't apply them and his camp doesn't seem to bring it out I'm him either.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 25 2012, 07:11 PM) *
My opinion is no. He fights the same way every fight and still pitty pat punches. It's a shame because he has the attributes but he just doesn't apply them and his camp doesn't seem to bring it out I'm him either.

That about sums it up. He has the speed and the head movement, but doesn't have pop worth a shit. He's always gonna be the same fighter, unless Maidana beats a new fighter out of him.
Cshel86
http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content11653.html

For a minute, I was pissed about the cancellation of Berto/Ortiz II, but the silver lining produced greater results. Berto's ass is out of the picture, so he's free to fight another tomato can when he heals up (aside from his prior bout against Zavek), while we as fans get a chance to see Ortiz possibly face Maidana again (long awaited), or Alexander.

Thoughts?

bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2012, 04:19 PM) *

For a minute, I was pissed about the cancellation of Berto/Ortiz II, but the silver lining produced greater results. Berto's ass is out of the picture, so he's free to fight another tomato can when he heals up (aside from his prior bout against Zavek), while we as fans get a chance to see Ortiz possibly face Maidana again (long awaited), or Alexander.

Thoughts?

Alexander w/ win this fight and allow Victor to exhale, a much desired WHEW!!! in the process. Since GBP is on this type of iiish....why not get Khan and Prescott together again?
Cshel86
Looks like there will be an Ortiz/Maidana rematch after Feb 25th. Hope Victor doesn't leave his heart in the locker room or have to look for it in the Land of Oz. As for Berto, well...what about him? He's out of the picture (gladly). All the way up to the first Ortiz fight, Berto fought nobodies (aside Collazo(sp))...then he gets in a crossroads fight with a first-time WW, and gets his ass handed to him...and he thinks fans are brutal because he lost one fight??? Yeah right!

The first fight did more for Ortiz, than it ever would've done for Berto (had Floyd not eyed the winner). Had Berto won (with no chance of a Mayweather fight ahead), then he just would've "beat Victor Ortiz", that's it. Even without the possibility of Ortiz landing a Mayweather fight after the Berto victory, he still had crazy options at WW with a big win over an undefeated WW and a new title.

At this point in time, a Khan/Prescott match could be possible, since Prescott aint lookin' so great nowadays. So yes, I could see the old gasbag throwing Prescott over the bridge against a GBP fighter. But wait...we're talking about Arum here, dammit nea.gif If I remember correctly (and as someone else stated in another thread), Alvarado lost most of those rounds in that fight before Prescott got all farted out, so there's the spin for a rematch. Damn...can't win with Bob, huh? laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2012, 03:19 PM) *

Thoughts?

it's gonna be alexander. ortiz is going to lose to him too.
BrutalBodyShots
I feel like Ortiz has a better shot at Maidana now than he did the first time he fought because he's grown and had a few fights at 147 now. Maidana has stayed at 140 and arguably lost to Morales (who's still my boy and all) who's fighting 2-3 divisions above his prime at this point. I just think at 147 the advantage goes to Ortiz in terms of size/strength which could be the ultimate difference if they do battle again.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.