Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best and Worst PPVs in 2011...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
As we all know, the year is coming to a close, and most of us have had the chance to share our opinions of fights on the board. With that being said, at the moment, Im focusing more on the fights that some of us have paid for throughout 2011. It seems that one's opinion is just as critical when they've actually paid for an event...in which I've ordered all of the bouts listed above...cant forget about the fortunate "streamers" out there who dodged a few bullets this year laugh.gif

For me...

Best 2011 PPV:

Erik Morales vs Marcos Maidana

The undercards were great! We had Paulie Malignaggi vs Jose Cotto, the James Kirkland upset vs Ishida, the one-sided ass-whoopin' of Michael Katsidis at the hands of Robert Guerrero, and of course the main event that put Morales back in the talks with the elite fighters! I had absolutely no complaints about the card as a whole!

The best part about it was that it was only $45 at the time, and my cable company fucked up so bad in the month of April alone, that $65 was credited back to my account. There was some type of weird "outtage" in my area that they couldn't diagnose, so I purposely went on 3 days without calling them, just to get credited for my cable laugh.gif I know, Im wrong!:lol:...but I got the fight for free that month!

Worst 2011 PPV:

Pacquiao vs Mosley

Of course, the main event was a stinker, so there's no need to go into detail about it. I can hardly rememeber the undercards no2.gif I totally forgot about one of the fights, and Kelly Pavlik's effort was piss-poor...he looked just as shot as I expected him to be. I remember one of the undercards where two Hispanic guys went life and death, but I cant remember their names at the moment, but it was the best fight on the card.

It absolutely sucks ass that one of the fighters in the main event was pretty much content with cruising his way to his 7-figure payday after getting clocked, and the world's greatest fighter wasn't great enough to get the retreater no2.gif

Vote for the best or worst PPV of the year. Vote for one (obviously) and explain both of them...

We can do a Fight of the Year thread after the Ward/Froch fight...
streetlion1
The best.....I picked Cotto vs Margacheato because it was nice to see Cotto dominate and dispose of that waste of skin Cheato

The worst....a tie between Hopkins vs Dawson and Mayweather vs Ortiz....because of the way both fights ended.
sduck
Best: Pacquiao-Marquez III

Worst: Pacquiao-Mosley
mgrover
klit and haye as the worst, mainly because i was stupid enough to pay for it....

best hmm cotto and margs cause even though i lost the bet it was a decent show watching margs take that beating
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 5 2011, 05:07 AM) *
klit and haye as the worst, mainly because i was stupid enough to pay for it....

Man Grover, whats your geographical location man? From what I remember, it was a PPV over there...I believe so. I watched on HBO...
Cshel86
I almost wanted to say that Hopkins/Dawson was the worst PPV, but the undercards saved it, hands down. Paulie outboxed a Mexican guy that could've knocked him out on a dime, Kendall Holt got his ass handed to him by Garcia and great shots were landed during the fight, then Linares got owned by DeMarco, which was the best fight on the card. It definitely put me in the mind of Cotto.Margarito I, when Cotto banked the first half of the fight (though he was still getting hit), then Margarito ended Cotto's night terribly.
checkleft
Morales maidana by a lot is the best.
I would have to say mayweather ortiz is second, I thought it was entertaining.

Worst, mosley pac. Shane never came to fight
Second to this would have to be Hopkins Dawson, just the main event. That fight was never ppv caliber

daprofessor
cotto/margarito 2 was actually a pretty good ppv if u could get past lampley. the opening fights were great and the main event had some drama too.

dawson/hopkins is by far thee worst ppv of all time imo.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 5 2011, 03:48 PM) *
dawson/hopkins is by far thee worst ppv of all time imo.

You didn't get a kick out of the undercards?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 5 2011, 07:07 PM) *
You didn't get a kick out of the undercards?

i don't remember the undercard for dawson/bhop.
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 6 2011, 05:20 AM) *
Morales maidana by a lot is the best.
I would have to say mayweather ortiz is second, I thought it was entertaining.

Worst, mosley pac. Shane never came to fight
Second to this would have to be Hopkins Dawson, just the main event. That fight was never ppv caliber

Agree with this....My top three best & worst fights in 2011. was
1st Cotto vs Plaster of Paris seeing Cotto silence the doubters an proving the hand wraps is why he lost the 1st fight made for good TV... justice was served
Morales vs Maidana was an unexpected out come and fight
Floyd vs Ortiz was good as well had all the drama an I enjoyed it as well

Worst lol
1st Hopkins vs Dawson
2nd Pacquiao vs Mosley was gosh aweful, as well all know Shane was paid to step asid
3rd Wladimir vs Haye gosh should I say anymore?
Cshel86
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Dec 5 2011, 11:23 PM) *
Worst lol
1st Hopkins vs Dawson

You didn't like the undercards??? Guess I was the only one...
BoxingEinstein
Best
1. Morales vs Maidana - This fight was suppose to be El Terribles retirement homecoming but he threw everybody off and went totally Mexican and said fuck everybody with his valiant and honour bound performance with just 1 eye. I haven't seen anyone give Maidana all of everything and more since the Ortiz fight. This was a unexpectedly a great fight for 12 rounds and was very close at that. Morales boosted his image, legacy and his respect level grew. Maidana showed why he is the bad ass of the 140 pound division by going toe to toe with a legend for 12 rounds.

2. Ortiz vs Mayweather - Everyone knew who was going to win but some or most thought this was a dangerous fight for Floyd after coming off a long layoff as he did. It was the first time in a long time that he fought someone younger, plus combined with power, hand speed, and who came off a marvellous big career win in a FOTY candidate against the then Undefeated Andre Berto. Floyd once again silenced his critics and face a younger, stronger opponent with a legit threat facing him and put on a master class performance although albeit short. Floyd promised he would go toe to toe against the hulking Ortiz who brought down Berto in the 1st round and he showed something he hasn't done in a long time also.....throwing combination punches. Thanks to Joe Cortez's weak and unusual call back to fight after a break and Ortiz's inexperience for not protecting himself at all time he got knocked out early in controversial fashion. People call it a sucker punch I call it payback after Ortiz intentionally headbutted Mayweather for being frustrated at the fact he couldn't hit him. Mayweather proved once again why everyone either loves or hates him as the biggest star in boxing today.

3. Cotto vs Margarito 2 - This fight was to cement all the doubts, all the discussions, all the questions and answers that has locked these two in a rivalry that goes back to that faithful day in 2008 where the then Undefeated star Miguel Cotto lost for the first time to the Tijuana Tornado in Antonio Margarito. Both styles don't mesh well but it seemed Cotto was going to be the victor after boxing beautifully until he gassed out in the late rounds. His stamina, back peddling, and being on the ropes cost him the fight. After Margarito was exposed of having tampered hand wraps illegally before his fight against Mosley and then losing by being knocked out for the first time in his career. Margarito's career has been forever tainted. Many questioned if his career best win was tainted by using illegal hand wraps. This rematch proved that no doubt that Margarito most likely used illegal hand wraps as Cotto scored a TKO with a gameplan to target Margarito's surgically repaired eye that suffered extreme damage at the merciful hands of Manny Pacquaio. Margarito should be and should have been banned but with this victory...revenge couldn't have been sweeter.

Worst
1. Hopkins Vs Dawson - This fight should have never been on PPV in the first place as both stylistically was going to make up of a ugly fight anyway. I like many others knew Dawson would win the early rounds because Hopkins is a slow adapter but thats how he wins his fights with his middle and late rounds push. In this short and horrendous fight it proved 5 things. 1. Dawson has the tools to beat Hopkins and show a little something that maybe could have trouble Hopkins in the middle and late rounds. 2. Hopkins' tactics finally backfire on him. After Hopkins rushed and jumped on the back of Dawson he was immediately shoved off and fell to the ground. Hopkins looked in pain and immediately people questioned Hopkins' injury as if he wanted to quit. By the looks of HBO's replay of his fall he looked to fall on his elbow first but somehow dislocated his shoulder. Dawson cried foul and Hopkins stated he still wanted to fight. Some questions are still unanswered.
3. Hopkins is an old man that maybe should start to look to retirement soon by display of his fall in the Dawson fight. Hopkins fell on his elbow but dislocated his shoulder which showed his true age. 4. Dawson's "BAD CHAD" image maybe starting to sound legit after his shoving of Hopkins and his attitude in his post fight interviews. Finally the man that was called quiet, passive and who has a lack of killer instinct may have found what he needed whether he lost or not.

5. That things like this in boxing is why the casual interest in the sport is only maintained by two boxers and not many others who may deserve it. Boxing lost again that night and after not calling the fight a NC, giving Hopkins his belts back, and still keeping the lost on Hopkins' record(A win on Dawsons) it showed why many are looking on at the sport with disgust.

2. Mosley vs Pacquaio - This was a fight that I and some thought was going to be good because of the stylistic clash. Pacquaio likes fighters who comes to fight, Mosley loves brawlers who come swinging away. Neither was going to back down. Some would say this fight was Shane's to win since this would be Pacquaios hardest hitting opponent to date and who was considered a warrior who's ducked no one. Sadly this was all not on display when the two fighters met in that squared circle. Shane fought like he's never fought before. He threw one of his all time lowest punches in that fight and even relied on a terrible jab to keep Pacquiao at bay. Before he was knocked down in the 3rd (something that hasn't happened since his glory days against the like of Vernon Forrest(R.I.P)) Mosley seemed like was going to bring it to Pacman. After the knockdown he back peddled the whole fight and only throwing jabs or turning back to keep him off set to not throw power punches. It was Mosley's worst performance and it made Pacquaio looked amateurish as he couldn't take out a out of Prime Shane who back peddled the whole night. Fans booed the fight and with all the hugging and the enormous amount of time they touched gloves it didn't make things any better. This was a travesty and showed Mosley was/is done since his fight against Mayweather.

3. Haye vs Klitschko - The fight was considered colossal and was sure to boost the interest back in not only the heavyweight division but in boxing period. Many stars came to watch fight all the way in Germany, in a huge soccer stadium. The atmosphere was that of a modern day classic heavyweight 80's clash. The build up the fight was big with the trash talking and brash UK then heavyweight champ David Haye. With the always respectful and gentlemen plus brother of the dominating dymanic duo of the Klitschko Brothers in Wladamir. Their styles was perfect and the backdrop plus history of the two also made for a good hype up for the fight. Both have questionable chins, both have KO power, both genuinely seemingly to hate each other, both promised to bring the fight to one another which all made fans who were keen to this fight itching to watch it. Sadly once again boxing took a huge hit and was hurt by this disgraceful excuse of a fight. Neither fighter made up for their promise of bringing the fight to one another. Haye's hit and run or hit and flop to the ground tactic made him look foolish and albeit an idiot after all of his trash talk of destroying Wladamir. Wladmir also looked awful after clinching each time or flinching each time Haye chose to occasionally engage him with wild punches. Wladamir stuck to his boring although useful style of jab jab, and grab but most of his punches missed just as much as Haye's as Haye used his superior speed to duck or move out of the way of the punches. It went this way for 12 full rounds with no legit knockdowns. After Haye flopped for the last time the ref called it a knockdown which Haye deserve that after all of his flops. Haye didn't even go for broke in the last minutes of the last round which made it a fight unbearable to watch. This fight hurt boxing as a whole and proved to casual fans why they don't watch boxing unless two boxers we all knows has a fight upcoming. Shame
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.