Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miguel Cotto Vs. Saul Alvarez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
I don't know if anybody else posted this topic before. If anybody did, sorry (I also have to give a shoutout to some poster on RingTalk who mentioned this, but I was thinking about it before).
I think that Cotto vs. Canelo (if Cotto leaves Top Rank) is a no brainer. Some more of that great rivalry – Puerto Rico vs. Mexico, two boxers that are the biggest draws in their respective countries and they’re actually in the same weight class (ranked 1 and 2, at least according to BoxRec, who is by no means the end all be all, but they don't exactly suck either). These guys are also known, to varying degrees, outside of their home countries, so the fight would do good numbers.
Experience vs. youth. That’s the match up that makes the most sense to me. Big money and if Canelo loses, so what, losing to a champ like Miguel Cotto won’t hurt his career.

Not only is it a good matchup, but also a realistic one (as long as Bob Arum doesn't handle these negotiations the same way he's handling the other "negotiations").

So, what do youse tink?
Genius
I think its a good fight to tell us where each guy is at, neither guy have beaten a top 10 fighter in the division. Big money fight too, so it could happen.
streetlion1
I gotta see Alvarez against better competition...at this point I would have Cotto winning big.
Cshel86
Im pushing more towards Alvarez in this one, if and only if Cotto doesn't bring the fight to him. I've never looked at Cotto as a counter puncher, so his best bet is to be first and stay busy...exchanging with Alvarez at this point of his (Cotto's) career, is detrimental.
Cheesey1
I think that what you guys are saying is showing that this would be a good (I think, very good) and enjoyable fight. It would have drama and not be a foregone conclusion and we wouldn't have any catchweight nonsense to get in the way of the boxers' performance. Plus whoever wins will definitely make a statement and generate quite a few boxing headlines.
Cshel86
Khan's next! WAR KHAN!!!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 7 2011, 10:42 AM) *
Khan's next! WAR KHAN!!!

Are you being facetious, or is that really the case? I'm guessing that you're joking.
Seek
Great fight. Canelo has a size and age advantage. Cotto has the skills and experience advantage. They are both very patient boxer punchers which would deliver a tactical battle. Both possess power with combinations. Canelo not only has a powerful left hook but a strong quick right hand. Cotto the same with less power on the right hand. Honestly this is too big a step for Canelo at the moment. You don't gain anything by beating up guys like Gomez and Cintron. Sure if Cintron would have showed up and fought till the end, we would have seen a lot more from Canelo but right now he is still hasn't been tested. Would have to go with Cotto by ud at the moment. Very unlikely this fight happens anyway with Cotto recently stating he will stay with TR with an unwritten agreement
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:02 PM) *
Are you being facetious, or is that really the case? I'm guessing that you're joking.

With me Cheesey...ya never know cool.gif ...
BoxingEinstein

Hey, everyone I'm making a online petition for the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight to be made. I'm right now working on it and I will distribute it through different media outlets thanks to one of my friends who work as a tv ad agent and media consultant. My goal is to get 3 million people to sign the petition and I will send it to Top Ranks HQ and executives. When I post it online and on this website plus countless others make sure you get other people close to your or far from you to sign it so we can as fans do are part to help get this fight made. I'm also looking to make a letter to send to Pacman's personal website to hopefully get one of the writers to notify someone close to Pacquiao to step up and talk to Arum about making the fight happen. Thank you for your support and as fans of a sport that we help grow or hurt we must do are part to make this fight that will help boxing alot.

Thanks, Einstein.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:16 PM) *

Nah, I think that you were joking.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Seek @ Dec 7 2011, 12:10 PM) *
Great fight. Canelo has a size and age advantage. Cotto has the skills and experience advantage. They are both very patient boxer punchers which would deliver a tactical battle. Both possess power with combinations. Canelo not only has a powerful left hook but a strong quick right hand. Cotto the same with less power on the right hand. Honestly this is too big a step for Canelo at the moment. You don't gain anything by beating up guys like Gomez and Cintron. Sure if Cintron would have showed up and fought till the end, we would have seen a lot more from Canelo but right now he is still hasn't been tested. Would have to go with Cotto by ud at the moment. Very unlikely this fight happens anyway with Cotto recently stating he will stay with TR with an unwritten agreement

It would be a shame if this fight doesn't happen. It would be big in America, on the east coast all of the boricuas would be watching and all of the vatos on the west coast would tune in, as well as all of the rest of us, who can't speak Spanish, but just like watching a good old, proper boxing match.
mgrover
ginger by KO
Cshel86
Hey guys...wanna know how I know that Im not doing my designated mod duties? This is a Cotto/Alvarez thread right? Thought so...check me out...

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 7 2011, 10:42 AM) *
Khan's next! WAR KHAN!!!

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 7 2011, 02:15 PM) *
Nah, I think that you were joking.

Was I fuckin' serious? I couldn't have been, but sadly, I was. no2.gif Poor Cheesey, I commend you for humbly excusing my insanely inflated moment of stupidity, and not giving me the 3rd degree rolleyes_anim.gif So you guys know time it is...just look out for "(Topics Merged)" on some of these threads, since they are so close in content.

In the meantime, let me take my dumbass "War Khan" chant to its designated thread. The fact that I didn't truly mean it, is one thing...but me posting it in the wrong thread just adds insult to injury laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 7 2011, 02:52 PM) *
Hey guys...wanna know how I know that Im not doing my designated mod duties? This is a Cotto/Alvarez thread right? Thought so...check me out...

Was I fuckin' serious? I couldn't have been, but sadly, I was. no2.gif Poor Cheesey, I commend you for humbly excusing my insanely inflated moment of stupidity, and not giving me the 3rd degree rolleyes_anim.gif So you guys know time it is...just look out for "(Topics Merged)" on some of these threads, since they are so close in content.

In the meantime, let me take my dumbass "War Khan" chant to its designated thread. The fact that I didn't truly mean it, is one thing...but me posting it in the wrong thread just adds insult to injury laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

No problem man. FightHype gives me a side payment whenever I get a certain number of comments, so whatever people want to post is fine with me. I'm thinking about starting a thread about sea hags just to get a few comments from the king of the seven seas, bnoles (just a joke...but remember I happen to like sea hags)
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 7 2011, 03:01 PM) *
No problem man. FightHype gives me a side payment whenever I get a certain number of comments, so whatever people want to post is fine with me. I'm thinking about starting a thread about sea hags just to get a few comments from the king of the seven seas, bnoles (just a joke...but remember I happen to like sea hags)

Thanks man! Damn, I was totally fuckin' off, and I had confidence when I posted it too laugh.gif Oh yeah...Noles should know ALL about those sea hags laugh.gif Im ready to hear the stories about 'em at the Cotto/Margarito rematch! Fuckin' priceless!
daprofessor
this would be a great fight for cotto and a huge step up for the ginger. i'd love to see it.
JONdaCON817
if i was a betting man (which i am) ide go with Cotto..... i do gotta give the conditioning to Canelo... power and speed will be hard to know for sure but i think with speed ide go with Canelo and power to Cotto... every person whos fought with Cotto has talked about how hard he hit... except Marga-fago.. but his knees buccling and his girly screams were evidence enough... LMAO...
BrutalBodyShots
I'd go with Cotto at this stage on the cards, but with a very ROUGH latter half of the fight. His experience would win him the first half big, but we know Cotto can be walked down late. In terms of pressure I'd put Canelo somewhere between Mosley and Margarito, and even Mosley had Cotto weary in the final third of their fight.

Cotto big early, Canelo big late simply based on his youth and ability to weather the storm. Probably too little too late for Canelo at this stage. But give him another 2 fights to polish his game and give Cotto another fight where he goes life and death and I'd most likely take the youngster should they meet in a year or so.

Aware
I'll take Canelo by a surprisingly easy TKO
PColeman28
Mosely says he is interested in fighting Canelo....what yall think of that?
Cshel86
QUOTE (PColeman28 @ Dec 12 2011, 05:20 PM) *

Well Canelo aint all that fast, so I dont see Shane having the hardest time in the world with him. If anything, this would be step up in class for Canelo, and yet, another claim to fame for Shane if puts this kid on his ass. Good scrap though
Seek
QUOTE (PColeman28 @ Dec 12 2011, 05:20 PM) *

Big mistake if Golden Boy put Canelo in there with Mosley. Mosley would give the kid fits. He could very well put Canelo to sleep because he's never been in there with someone on the level of Mosley. Even an old Mosley. The only thing is 154 is Canelo's territory. He's perfect for the weight and he is a very patient boxer with power that Mosley will have to respect. I think Canelo can pull it off but if that were his next fight, i'd have to go with Mosley.
Cshel86
Cotto vs Martinez at 154? Anyone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.