Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs Bute (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/73204...-black-athletes

I thought this interview was great. I agreed what he said about Mayweather 10000000000%. I hope yawl enjoy the interview as much as I did. Post a comment if you have something to say....
Cshel86
Boxing is what I do, but it's not who I am. I always try to make that one of my openings in any conversation when people say, "Tell me about you." I've always liked nice things. There was one time in my life when I went the wrong way getting those things, and I paid a price for it. I've been out of the penitentiary for 23 and a half years, half of my life, and have turned it around as a boxer and a businessman. [Ed.'s note: Hopkins was released from prison in 1988, having served four and a half years for armed robbery.]

When do you think you made the transition? When I realized I was fighting for a purse that I believe was a million dollars and I only got $85,000.

What fight was that? It was Roy Jones Jr., the first fight, RFK Stadium, 1993. And I remember that not only did that fight have me thinking about how that happened, I had no clue how the business worked. I realized that having knowledge of what you do, whether it's boxing or in life, whether it's your value as a woman, whether it's your value as a man, once you know your value, it's hard to be unappreciated.

This pretty much did it for me. Sadly, this is a painful reality for professional fighters...God forbid if you aren't one of the popular fighters. Its crazy that some fighters have to find a steady job outside of boxing because they make little to no money at all in the sport.

Even if you're delusionally considered the "best fighter in the world"...you can still have tumbleweed bouncing in your head like the rest of 'em, when it comes to knowing how money you actually make.

You know...when your promoter does this fucked up kind of squint, smirks, shakes his head, pats you on the back, and tells you how much you're supposed to make, but you never see all of it...and you're too much of a care-free nice guy to speak up about it?

laugh.gif

It happens to the best of them!
streetlion1
I read in a recent interview that Hopkins says there are 2 fights for him left....and the first one he wants is Bute.

Even though Hopkins is old I honestly dont see anything special when I watch Bute....I would have Hopkins beating him via Unanimous Decision.
checkleft
Bute isn't pascal.. one shot from him is likely to send Hopkins into a coma

But I could see Hopkins winning a close decision if he doesn't get caught, cause even though he is old Bute hasn't fought anyone one his level as sad as that is to say..
BoxingEinstein

Hopkins schools the Canadian Oaf. Bute's only biggest challenges was a overhyped Librado Andrade where he was supposed to get called a knockout but of course he got a home cooked decision when they first fought. The other challenge was Glen Johnson and Johnson has been showing his true age lately. Bute was easily out boxing Johnson and Johnson hardly put on his renown pressure on the Canadian. Hopkins has been in there with the best and he will beat Bute unless the Canadians rob him again like when he first fought Pascal. Hopkins by easy UD.
dhoward126
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 8 2011, 02:26 PM) *
Hopkins schools the Canadian Oaf. Bute's only biggest challenges was a overhyped Librado Andrade where he was supposed to get called a knockout but of course he got a home cooked decision when they first fought. The other challenge was Glen Johnson and Johnson has been showing his true age lately. Bute was easily out boxing Johnson and Johnson hardly put on his renown pressure on the Canadian. Hopkins has been in there with the best and he will beat Bute unless the Canadians rob him again like when he first fought Pascal. Hopkins by easy UD.

Hopkins is going to get nailed by Lucian Bute, that is almost as bad of a match-up for him as Chad Dawson was.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 8 2011, 01:23 PM) *
Bute isn't pascal.. one shot from him is likely to send Hopkins into a coma

But I could see Hopkins winning a close decision if he doesn't get caught, cause even though he is old Bute hasn't fought anyone one his level as sad as that is to say..

Pascal is a hard hitting son of a bitch. Pavlik is a hard hitting son of a bitch. The list goes on and Hopkins has never been knocked out. Your foolishly mistaken if you think Hopkins isn't intelligent enough to take the sting out of Bute's punches. You have a legend in that ring who knows all the trades and tricks in boxing. Bute will look like the oaf he is. He has been fed mostly bus drivers and overhyped opponents facing Hopkins is a dose of reality for Bute.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Dec 8 2011, 01:34 PM) *
Hopkins is going to get nailed by Lucian Bute, that is almost as bad of a match-up for him as Chad Dawson was.

Wow? After all these years, people like you still don't believe in Hopkins. I hate when people say Dawson was going to whoop Hopkins because of their fight which didn't tell us much of anything since Hopkins is a slow starter and it takes him the early rounds to adapt. Bute has never faced someone as crafty as Hopkins. Fighting Glen Johnson like a pussy and rarely engaging like he does his past opponents is nothing close to a great achievement. Hopkins KO'd Johnson back in his prime and still is the only man to stop him. You like check are mistaken and will be proven wrong again.
checkleft
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 8 2011, 01:36 PM) *
Pascal is a hard hitting son of a bitch. Pavlik is a hard hitting son of a bitch. The list goes on and Hopkins has never been knocked out. Your foolishly mistaken if you think Hopkins isn't intelligent enough to take the sting out of Bute's punches. You have a legend in that ring who knows all the trades and tricks in boxing. Bute will look like the oaf he is. He has been fed mostly bus drivers and overhyped opponents facing Hopkins is a dose of reality for Bute.

Oh I'm sorry I guess he was playing possum the multiple times the "hard hitting" pascal caught him.. or maybe it was the kds that threw me off..?

That was stupid of me

Your right Hopkins won't get hurt, I changed my mind b-hop by murder!!!
(Sarcasm in case you didn't get it)

dhoward126
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 8 2011, 02:40 PM) *
Wow? After all these years, people like you still don't believe in Hopkins. I hate when people say Dawson was going to whoop Hopkins because of their fight which didn't tell us much of anything since Hopkins is a slow starter and it takes him the early rounds to adapt. Bute has never faced someone as crafty as Hopkins. Fighting Glen Johnson like a pussy and rarely engaging like he does his past opponents is nothing close to a great achievement. Hopkins KO'd Johnson back in his prime and still is the only man to stop him. You like check are mistaken and will be proven wrong again.

People like YOU (fanboy) just like to blow things up to argue. I didn't say Dawson was going to whoop Hopkins, I said he was a bad match-up for him. Why are we even talking about B-Flop anyway? The dude is a liability in the ring, he does the same played out bullshit dramatics and he's boring as all hell. This is all coming from a guy who called him the fighter of the decade.

streetlion1
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 8 2011, 12:36 PM) *

True...I almost fell out of my chair at the thought of Bute hurting Hopkins lol...Hopkins still has a great chin and great defense...I doubt Bute could even hurt him. Bute hasnt fought anyone...he is a sloid fighter but the only thing special about him is his record. There is a reason Hopkins wants to fight him.

B-Hop would punish Bute no doubt.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Dec 8 2011, 03:33 PM) *
People like YOU (fanboy) just like to blow things up to argue. I didn't say Dawson was going to whoop Hopkins, I said he was a bad match-up for him. Why are we even talking about B-Flop anyway? The dude is a liability in the ring, he does the same played out bullshit dramatics and he's boring as all hell. This is all coming from a guy who called him the fighter of the decade.

+ muthafuck'n 1 Danny!!!!!! I'd watch Hopkins WATCH a fight, before I'd watch another one he is in.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 8 2011, 02:09 PM) *
Oh I'm sorry I guess he was playing possum the multiple times the "hard hitting" pascal caught him.. or maybe it was the kds that threw me off..?

That was stupid of me

Your right Hopkins won't get hurt, I changed my mind b-hop by murder!!!
(Sarcasm in case you didn't get it)

Your sarcasm was greatly appreciated and I refuse to respond to your wildly indirect but direct insults to add to more injury. One of those KD's were not legit. Pascal has only 1 KD that was legit. The other one should have been called a foul since Pascal hit Hopkins behind the head. Rewatch the fight and this time wear glasses or binoculars if it helps.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Dec 8 2011, 02:33 PM) *

Sorry I'm no fanboy, while you did state that Dawson was a bad match up for him that basically stated Dawson would whoop Hopkins. Why are we talking about B-Hop? smh The damn thread is about B-Hop and a Canadian Oaf who has been fed construction workers for most of his career and overhyped/past prime opponents. This is boxing, anything can happen in that squared circle or before it so basically anyone and everyone can be a liability. If you think some of Hopkins tactics and his style of the sweet science is boring then you should watch MMA or fucking martial arts. Boxing obviously has no place for people like you. I will not stand by as a fan of the whole to tolerate suck ignorant diatribe, your opinion is yours but please have an intelligent opinion. You obviously gave up on Hopkins but yet you called him the fighter of the decade, tsk fans are so finicky like women.

I'm done with this conversation you offer no insight and nothing valid. Be gone Casper. "poof"
checkleft
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 8 2011, 03:58 PM) *
Your sarcasm was greatly appreciated and I refuse to respond to your wildly indirect but direct insults to add to more injury. One of those KD's were not legit. Pascal has only 1 KD that was legit. The other one should have been called a foul since Pascal hit Hopkins behind the head. Rewatch the fight and this time wear glasses or binoculars if it helps.

Is this guy serious?

A b-hop fan is complaining about punching behind the head?

Yes one of the knockdowns was assisted but the second was clean and on the lobe, a common punch that causes knockdowns. This is not counting the multiple times pascal hurt Hopkins in both fights.
I don't need to re-watch the fight, you should quit riding Hopkins so bad its impairing your vision and judgement.

This is after I said Hopkins could definitely out box him but his ability to take punches has gone down as seen in his most recent fights by a wild fighter like pascal. He has the ability to outbox him but I don't think he has the ability to avoid a big shot for 12 rounds and I think Bute hits harder and has better technique than pascal. Probly won't gas or use the hit stick on him like pascal and Dawson.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 8 2011, 04:42 PM) *
Is this guy serious?

A b-hop fan is complaining about punching behind the head?

Yes one of the knockdowns was assisted but the second was clean and on the lobe, a common punch that causes knockdowns. This is not counting the multiple times pascal hurt Hopkins in both fights.
I don't need to re-watch the fight, you should quit riding Hopkins so bad its impairing your vision and judgement.

This is after I said Hopkins could definitely out box him but his ability to take punches has gone down as seen in his most recent fights by a wild fighter like pascal. He has the ability to outbox him but I don't think he has the ability to avoid a big shot for 12 rounds and I think Bute hits harder and has better technique than pascal. Probly won't gas or use the hit stick on him like pascal and Dawson.

Look at the damn fight again checkleft!! Pascal clearly hit the man behind his head and no foul was called plus the ref was right there in plain view to see it. Hopkins still has the tools to schools alot of fighters. You say Pascal is better than Bute? LMAO!! Pascal fought Carl Froch in a 12 round close war toe to toe that could have gone either way, he is the first to beat a P4P champion in Chad Dawson, and even though he lost twice he still fought B-Hop 2 times. Now you tell me, does all of this contend to what Bute has done? The man's technique? The man's european defensive style will get exposed by Hopkins. Bute fought a washed up Edison Miranda, a obviously unmotivated Glen Johnson that he didn't or couldn't KO, and fought most of his career Canadian hotdog salesman and cab drivers.
Saying Bute hits harder than Pascal is an opinion since Pascal faced the better opposition and easy to say that since he fought mostly cab drivers in Canada or Romania. Bute can gas or not and will still look foolish against Hopkins. smh @ you non-believers...fucking blasphemy
checkleft
Wow.. pascal is wild, the only reason Hopkins got the title is because Dawson lost. He saw an easy shot at a title and took it.

Jesus he's a great fighter but man hop off the scrotum, he can't take a shot like he used to or avoid them like he used to.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 8 2011, 05:08 PM) *
Wow.. pascal is wild, the only reason Hopkins got the title is because Dawson lost. He saw an easy shot at a title and took it.

Jesus he's a great fighter but man hop off the scrotum, he can't take a shot like he used to or avoid them like he used to.

You are stating the obvious over and over again but still your argument is getting nowhere....sorta like a hamster on a wheel.

Hopkins always had a great chin and his defense is impregnable as the great Mike Tyson would say. He fought the winner of the fight twice and beat him twice. Then he fought the loser who decided to shove off Hopkins. Your point is invalid once again checkleft your almost as worst as arguing with that other guy who claimed he liked Hopkins. Trying to take away credibility from a legend of Hopkins stature is very disturbing and makes you look unmanly like.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 8 2011, 12:52 PM) *
This pretty much did it for me. Sadly, this is a painful reality for professional fighters...God forbid if you aren't one of the popular fighters. Its crazy that some fighters have to find a steady job outside of boxing because they make little to no money at all in the sport.

Even if you're delusionally considered the "best fighter in the world"...you can still have tumbleweed bouncing in your head like the rest of 'em, when it comes to knowing how money you actually make.

You know...when your promoter does this fucked up kind of squint, smirks, shakes his head, pats you on the back, and tells you how much you're supposed to make, but you never see all of it...and you're too much of a care-free nice guy to speak up about it?

laugh.gif

It happens to the best of them!

You can name all the fighters that will probably go broke or that is broke I will list just a few:

Hollyfield
Joe Louis
Jack Johnson
Tyson (until his movie appearances)
Riddick Bowe
Michael Moore
Busta Douglass

All those guys are struggling, big time
checkleft
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 8 2011, 05:20 PM) *
You are stating the obvious over and over again but still your argument is getting nowhere....sorta like a hamster on a wheel.

Hopkins always had a great chin and his defense is impregnable as the great Mike Tyson would say. He fought the winner of the fight twice and beat him twice. Then he fought the loser who decided to shove off Hopkins. Your point is invalid once again checkleft your almost as worst as arguing with that other guy who claimed he liked Hopkins. Trying to take away credibility from a legend of Hopkins stature is very disturbing and makes you look unmanly like.

You have been restating the same thing over and over again too. Like a delusional hamster dreaming about being on a wheel.

Yes Hopkins HAD a great chin, HAD great defense. You seem to be stuck in the past, Hopkins was a great fighter, surefire hall of famer. He still has more ring iq than most boxers think they can have but hanging woth pascal and hanging with Bute are two very different things. It's more disturbing that as a "boxing Einstein" you can't see that. So your argument is invalid because of your bias and because of you being a hypocrite and saying I'm repeating myself when your doing the same thing. Take 5 bro
mgrover
hopkins by ud

bute would come out to ko him, if he survives the onslaught he'll dominate the middle rounds and cherry pick the championship rounds unless hes pressing for a ko, which he wont.
mrchitown
Hopkins by UD, I like Bute but I still haven't seen anything special about him. I think BHop would have to worry about the body shots he throws. Up top he's not much of a threat to someone who has good defense like BHop
daprofessor
not interested in seeing bhop vs anyone except for chad dawson.

prove u didn't quit in that one...then i'll watch another one of ur fights.
neophyte7
Please.. Dawson had to foul a 46 year old?? Dawson needs a gut check. Hopkins dropped him in that brief skirmish (it was not called a kdown) please Hopkins has more than enough chin and defense for BUTE... Says alot when guys like Dawson have fouling in their gameplan against a 46 year old champ.. Hopkins must still be pretty damned formidable...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.