Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Roy Jones win the Cruiserweight Belt?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
I love Roy Jones as a boxer. My favorite fight is when he fought James Tony! Jones has had some great fights, during the 90s he was feared in his division. I wish that he would stop fighting because with every lost and lack luster performance he is damning his legacy. Since Jones insist on continue boxing I wonder if he can grab the vacant cruiserweight belt? Any thoughts and if he loses this next fight should he walk away from boxing for good?
PlayaPartner
Roy is fighting Max Alexander Saturday. Max Alexander could not even get a win on the contender. He is considered one of the worst proffessional boxers alive. Roy is stooping real low. This will be an exhibition match instead of a boxing match.
bosco
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 9 2011, 01:20 PM) *
I love Roy Jones as a boxer. My favorite fight is when he fought James Tony! Jones has had some great fights, during the 90s he was feared in his division. I wish that he would stop fighting because with every lost and lack luster performance he is damning his legacy. Since Jones insist on continue boxing I wonder if he can grab the vacant cruiserweight belt? Any thoughts and if he loses this next fight should he walk away from boxing for good?

Roy said if he loses this fight he'll retire so hopefully he loses. He had his time and needs to move on. These fights he's having now means nothing. He's in his 40's and doesn't have any punch resistance so nothing good can come out it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 5 2011, 11:04 AM) *
I do agree that some fighters need to hang 'em up, but we all know that these guys have had lucrative boxing paydays that have seen their better days, so those 7 and 8 figure checks arent coming in as regularly, if at all. So yes, thats why we see them fighting nobodies for any paycheck that they can get, and some of them REALLY just feel that they can compete, so they move forward in doing so. These guys may have big ticket items that are paid for (hopefully), like mansions, expensive cars, indoor/outdoor pools, greedy family members, children/child support, etc...but the bottom line is, all of these things still need to be MAINTAINED.

Not only does shit happen in the sport of boxing, it also happens in life overall...no matter how much money one may have, bad/unexpected things happen to them as well. For instance, you have Hulk Hogan's wife who divorced him and left with a wopping 70% liquid assets and about $8M from their estate that was used during the taping his show years ago. He only got a few million from the house, and he will end up owing her about $1.5M when that settles.

C'mon guys, Hulk is too damn old to wrestle, his body is shot to no end, and will still need money to live and MAINTAIN the things that he does have. Let's not forget how much money he put forth for his daughter's music career (decent move), but again, shit happens, because he had to pull unthinkable figures out of his ass to save his son from being a prison bitch due to that stupid car wreck that he almost killed somebody in. no2.gif We can go as far as how Holyfield still has several children in which he STILL has to pay child support for no2.gif

Back to my point...maintainence is key and sometimes it can bite you in the ass if you dont spend your money right. That surely has to be the case with these guys that cant seem to hang 'em up. I wonder how much utilities cost in a multi-million dollar mansion, hmmm... rolleyes_anim.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Can Roy win a belt? Have you seen Roy the past seven years? nuff said.
mrwigi
hahaha.. u guys are funny
E.C.LEGEND
of course he can! Yall must of forgot, that he's nice with these(hands)1
Kratza
I really don't think so, i dont even think he cares about winning anymore, he just wants the money
Jhill47
I love Roy but these days he needs to come to the ring in his PJs with a pillow and a blanket b/c all he does in the ring now days is go to sleep. Damn shame
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Dec 10 2011, 12:46 PM) *
I love Roy but these days he needs to come to the ring in his PJs with a pillow and a blanket b/c all he does in the ring now days is go to sleep. Damn shame

LOL!! That is wrong but true. Roy in the 90s was a monster but now he is a shell of his former self.
Allmenjoi8
By he way, Roy Jones won tonight in a decision!!! He is on his way to attain a belt!!!! But he needs and should retire.
sduck
Boy, I like Roy Jones as a commentator he should hang em up and further his career, maybe try to replace Merchant.
streetlion1
At this point Roy Jones is a way better commentator than he is a fighter.

I suggest him and James Toney have a retirement party fight...they fight and both retire laugh.gif
Kratza
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 9 2011, 05:20 PM) *

I agree with you, he's one of my all time favourites, but he reall should retire, if not go for one more belt and then hang up the gloves. His legacy is set, he has nothing more the prove, if anything he's ruining his own legacy
Cshel86
QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 11 2011, 04:44 AM) *
Boy, I like Roy Jones as a commentator he should hang em up and further his career, maybe try to replace Merchant.

Those commentators dont get paid as much as we think, hell, even they have jobs doing other things outside of the sport. So Im sure RJJ will benefit more by fighting, even if he's not making those big paydays like he used to.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2011, 05:12 PM) *
Those commentators dont get paid as much as we think, hell, even they have jobs doing other things outside of the sport. So Im sure RJJ will benefit more by fighting, even if he's not making those big paydays like he used to.

Roy's match was in Atlanta a the Dome, why the hell didn't you go? Your Reebok chic didn't let you out?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 11 2011, 04:46 PM) *
Roy's match was in Atlanta a the Dome, why the hell didn't you go? Your Reebok chic didn't let you out?

Who cares about RJJ's fights anymore? Really. I live here, and Im not even excited about half the shit that happens in the dome, so this was another one of those events.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2011, 06:38 PM) *
Who cares about RJJ's fights anymore? Really. I live here, and Im not even excited about half the shit that happens in the dome, so this was another one of those events.

I probably wouldn't of gone either. Roy needs to stop.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 11 2011, 06:37 PM) *
I probably wouldn't of gone either. Roy needs to stop. Actually the Philly and Falcon game was exciting. The people were so crunk and of course I have m Vick Philly Jeresy on so that made things even more fun.

I think Atlanta should try to host big fights. Atlanta is the crown jewel of the south. They need to promote more than Househo's of Atlanta. I think they could put on some good fights in Atlanta. Chuck Norris loves Atlanta

There you go getting waaaaay off topic again no2.gif The General Discussion forum is waiting for you...this is the boxing forum focus.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 11 2011, 07:50 PM) *
There you go getting waaaaay off topic again no2.gif The General Discussion forum is waiting for you...this is the boxing forum focus.gif

I edited it. happy
checkleft
I say he has a throw back tarver or toney, make a little bit of cash and continue his commentary on hbo. For someone with as much natural talent that he had he knows an enormous amount about sound boxing techniques.

Hell he could start a promotion company, I mean he seemed to manage himself pretty well. Lots of young fighters that have a lot of upside in the amateurs right now
The Original MrFactor
simple answer. NO HE CANT!
Cshel86
RJJ aint goin' nowhere...he's gonna Brett Favre it until he just cant do it anymore no2.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2011, 01:32 PM) *
RJJ aint goin' nowhere...he's gonna Brett Favre it until he just cant do it anymore no2.gif

Favre retired and he could still come back next year. I think Roy is trying to prove that he still has it. But he is just sinking his great legacy.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 05:32 PM) *
Favre retired and he could still come back next year. I think Roy is trying to prove that he still has it. But he is just sinking his great legacy.

I didn't mean that in a sense of him retiring and coming back, I meant it as in RJJ fighting and continuously getting hurt while trying to stand up for a cause (that he can still compete), when it's unnecessary. I didn't ask if Favre was coming back, I was just talking about how he was willing to die on the field for no reason, since his legacy was already in stone.

No matter how fucked up he got on the field every week, he still tried to play anyhow. This isn't meant to be a football conversation, but I used it as a quick analogy, so dont go flying off the handle about football, like I know you're getting ready to do.
King Eugene
I cant even believe this thread was created! Roy's only beating C- fighters for as long as he keeps fighting. Its gotten to the point I dont even attempt to see his fights anymore because its so heart breaking to see him be whipped the way he has been.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2011, 05:41 PM) *
I didn't mean that in a sense of him retiring and coming back, I meant it as in RJJ fighting and continuously getting hurt while trying to stand up for a cause (that he can still compete), when it's unnecessary. I didn't ask if Favre was coming back, I was just talking about how he was willing to die on the field for no reason, since his legacy was already in stone.

No matter how fucked up he got on the field every week, he still tried to play anyhow. This isn't meant to be a football conversation, but I used it as a quick analogy, so dont go flying off the handle about football, like I know you're getting ready to do.

I know what you meant. I am saying if Farve had the chance to come back he would. Roy still fights because people actually still want to see him "fight." The moment the crowd stops paying he is done. No one wants Farve but people still want to see Roy. I just think he needs to enjoy his health and retire. He is starting to look awful. Just awful. Roy use to pitch shut outs now he is it crossing finger did I beat this guy type of wins he is getting.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:40 PM) *
Roy still fights because people actually still want to see him "fight."

Yep...that did it. This line alone, is a shining example of why Im done discussing this with you...

Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Yep...that did it. This line alone, is a shining example of why Im done discussing this with you...

What? You think Roy is going to fight for free and in an empty stadium? He still probably thinks he is the Roy of the 90s. I am just saying, if the interest is still there he will be too.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 13 2011, 09:50 PM) *
What? You think Roy is going to fight for free and in an empty stadium? He still probably thinks he is the Roy of the 90s. I am just saying, if the interest is still there he will be too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.