Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trinidad/Mosley at Welterweight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
As long as I've been watching boxing, I still find it a disgrace that this fight never took place. Of course around this time, I wasn't in the position to order all of these fights, nor did I have any say on whether or not we should keep HBO/Showtime laugh.gif.

With that being said, I was only dialed in to a certain degree, so I may have missed the exact reason why they never fought. Everybody fought everybody (for the most part) in that era of boxing, but I still dont know why this fight never took place.

Anybody know why? Thoughts on the winner?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 15 2011, 11:00 AM) *
As long as I've been watching boxing, I still find it a disgrace that this fight never took place. Of course around this time, I wasn't in the position to order all of these fights, nor did I have any say on whether or not we should keep HBO/Showtime laugh.gif.

With that being said, I was only dialed in to a certain degree, so I may have missed the exact reason why they never fought. Everybody fought everybody (for the most part) in that era of boxing, but I still dont know why this fight never took place.

Anybody know why? Thoughts on the winner?

Good question....I haven't the faintest. It would've been a tremendous scrap, while it lasted....as neither one could get out of the way of a punch if you paid them...wait a minute...

Ask Hype or our road dawg D to the A to the N to the N to the Y.....I'm sure they got something
mrwigi
I've always wondered myself why this fight never happened. It damn sure would have been a good fight. Especially since back then, I can t see Shane jumping on his back for the last few rounds like Oscar did
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 15 2011, 11:15 AM) *
neither one could get out of the way of a punch if you paid them...

laugh.gif

Absolutely! Trinidad had that ugly "last-minute" flinch that he did when a punch was thrown...and that ugly tip-toe stance of his (that George Foreman praised oh so dearly) was nothing to talk about. He was a sucker for a jab, especially if his opponent had a good strong one.

Shane just wants to go to war most of the time, and he's a great boxer...only when he's not facing a great boxer. I think Floyd, Winky, and Vernon's jab just made him look an amateur, but again, he a great boxer against guys who weren't strictly boxers. Just my opinion.

As you said, both of these guys either couldn't get out of the way of a punch, or they just threw caution to the wind (Im giving both of them the benefit here). Tito's a come-forward fighter, and that's right up Shane's alley...so I would have to give this to one to Shane. Between the two, Shane was better at not wanting to get hit. If you hit Tito with a clean shot, best believe an immediate low-blow had your name on it.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 15 2011, 11:15 AM) *
Ask Hype or our road dawg D to the A to the N to the N to the Y.....I'm sure they got something

Im sure they'll drop in shortly! I know Hype gave some great points on Shane last night, so Im sure he has an idea why it didn't happen.

QUOTE (mrwigi @ Dec 15 2011, 11:42 AM) *
I've always wondered myself why this fight never happened. It damn sure would have been a good fight. Especially since back then, I can t see Shane jumping on his back for the last few rounds like Oscar did

Im just almost sure it had something to do with money...knowing what I know now. They were both on top of the boxing world, so Im sure their teams kept them away from each other and made the most money elsewhere.
flazi
they didn't fight because when Mosley did move up to 147 Trinidad was already at 154 then he moved to 160 for the middleweight tourney. timing was all wrong. would have been a great scrap though. Hard to pick a winner.
Cshel86
Oh okay, I just thought their teams were trying to keep them away from each other dntknw.gif
kingknockout
mosley get's his jaw broken, Prime Mosley and the Mosley now.

you can square up with Oscar, but doing that with Tito is suicide.

Not saying he wouldn't get good shots in, or the fight wouldn't be competitive...yes it would if he chooses to box, if he chooses to slug? he'll be on that canvass early.

Mosley would have the same problem with Quartey......Bazooka's jab was like a freaking power punch, he didn't have an ordinary jab at all......and we all know what Vernon said about how to beat Mosley.
jrazor
being that mosely cant box or jab...Trinidad ko's mosely!
sduck
lol no fighter would of ended up knocking each other out. You aint knocking Shane out. I would give this to Trinidad, matching this up reminds me of Mosley-Cotto. Trinidad will be countering, landing hooks and uppercuts all night. Mosley will be using that pitty pat jab, throwing the right, clinching. Mosley wouldn't be able to do enough to not lose a decision.
mrwigi
I understand your arguments. But i dont think Shane squares up with Tito.. I believe he fights Tito a lot like he fought Margarito. In that sense... I see a KO for Shane.
dhoward126
I think Tito would've won. Shane has always been an easy guy to hit and that fight would be a war no doubt, but Tito was a murderous puncher at 147 and he'd catch Mosley flush one time too many after taking a few shots himself.
JONdaCON817
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 15 2011, 12:06 PM) *
As you said, both of these guys either couldn't get out of the way of a punch, or they just threw caution to the wind (Im giving both of them the benefit here). Tito's a come-forward fighter, and that's right up Shane's alley...so I would have to give this to one to Shane. Between the two, Shane was better at not wanting to get hit. If you hit Tito with a clean shot, best believe an immediate low-blow had your name on it.

GTFOH!!.. have you seen Titos fights? anytime he touched canvas he would immediately get bacc up and land a devastating KO punch.. i cant count how many times ive seen Tito hit the Canvas juss to get bacc up and score a KO... were talkin about a guy with CRAZY power for his size and could punch with either hand goin forward or baccwards...
Cshel86
QUOTE (JONdaCON817 @ Dec 16 2011, 10:28 PM) *
GTFOH!!.. have you seen Titos fights? anytime he touched canvas he would immediately get bacc up and land a devastating KO punch.. i cant count how many times ive seen Tito hit the Canvas juss to get bacc up and score a KO... were talkin about a guy with CRAZY power for his size and could punch with either hand goin forward or baccwards...

I was speaking of the Vargas fight laugh.gif I dont remember Tito going down too many times, except for the Campas fight. The Mayorga knockdown was bogus of course, when Hopkins knocked him down, that was it, and when RJJ had his way with him...well that was that. I may need to be refreshed on his earlier knockdowns though...
IronFistAssassin
Actually Trinidad and Mosley were supposed to fight......but Winky Wright derailed that super fight. lol And then Winky went on to easily UD Trinidad.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 15 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Shane was better at not wanting to get hit. If you hit Tito with a clean shot, best believe an immediate low-blow had your name on it.

No doubt.....let us not forget the "questionable" hand-wrap mumbles from a specific Trinidad opponent.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 17 2011, 09:53 AM) *
No doubt.....let us not forget the "questionable" hand-wrap mumbles from a specific Trinidad opponent.

Indeed smile_anim.gif

Notice how it got swept under the rug...
daprofessor
QUOTE (flazi @ Dec 15 2011, 04:14 PM) *
they didn't fight because when Mosley did move up to 147 Trinidad was already at 154 then he moved to 160 for the middleweight tourney. timing was all wrong. would have been a great scrap though. Hard to pick a winner.

this...minus the last sentence.

trinidad would have murdered mosley.
daprofessor
QUOTE (IronFistAssassin @ Dec 16 2011, 11:00 PM) *
Actually Trinidad and Mosley were supposed to fight......but Winky Wright derailed that super fight. lol And then Winky went on to easily UD Trinidad.

you are right. trinidad would have beat mosley at either weight. mosley never had the boxing skill to give trinidad problems. exchanging with him would have meant lights out for shane.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 05:59 PM) *
you are right. trinidad would have beat mosley at either weight. mosley never had the boxing skill to give trinidad problems. exchanging with him would have meant lights out for shane.

I would just have to see how Tito reacts to being hit by Shane...especially back in those days when he was quicker and able to pull the trigger consistently. Also, I believe Mosley was a bit faster than most of Tito's past opponents.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 07:51 PM) *
I would just have to see how Tito reacts to being hit by Shane...especially back in those days when he was quicker and able to pull the trigger consistently. Also, I believe Mosley was a bit faster than most of Tito's past opponents.

mosley didn't have a real jab and has always blocked punches with his face. u need to have real boxing skill to give trinidad problems in his prime. either foot movement, exceptional defense...or a really good jab. shane had foot movement but was prone to shootouts. i stand by my prediction...trinidad by ko.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 09:03 PM) *
mosley didn't have a real jab and has always blocked punches with his face. u need to have real boxing skill to give trinidad problems in his prime. either foot movement, exceptional defense...or a really good jab. shane had foot movement but was prone to shootouts. i stand by my prediction...trinidad by ko.

If Vargas gave him trouble, then surely Mosley would've posed more of a threat....
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 09:07 PM) *
If Vargas gave him trouble, then surely Mosley would've posed more of a threat....

did vargas give him trouble? he dropped him about 6 times. plus, vargas was a naturally bigger man than trinidad. he started at 154. shane started at 135 and jumped 2 weight classes to 147.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 09:12 PM) *
did vargas give him trouble? he dropped him about 6 times. plus, vargas was a naturally bigger man than trinidad. he started at 154. shane started at 135 and jumped 2 weight classes to 147.

I mean hell, he did drop Tito in that fight, and he was hurt. Vargas got dropped 6 times? I have to check that out again...I believe it was 4 times. You're right, Vargas was always bigger, but if Tito had that much "skill", then it really shouldn't have mattered. Yes, Shane did jump 2 weight classes, but he still carried that power to W.

It may not have been the same power he had at LW, but think about it, it had to be easier to knock out most of those guys at LW because his career started at that weight, and we've seen the greats KO some tomato cans early in their career.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 09:21 PM) *
I mean hell, he did drop Tito in that fight, and he was hurt. Vargas got dropped 6 times? I have to check that out again...I believe it was 4 times. You're right, Vargas was always bigger, but if Tito had that much "skill", then it really shouldn't have mattered. Yes, Shane did jump 2 weight classes, but he still carried that power to W.

It may not have been the same power he had at LW, but think about it, it had to be easier to knock out most of those guys at LW because his career started at that weight, and we've seen the greats KO some tomato cans early in their career.

it's been a while since i've seen trinidad/vargas. i remember it being 6 knockdowns...it may have been less. ur also right, vargas dropped trinidad. forgot about that one. trinidad landed the low blow when vargas was rallying. it wasn't a huge low blow...but vargas took more time than he should have to recover. he should have jumped right back on trinidad instead of listening to kathy duva ringside yelling for him to take all his time. that was a pretty damn good fight. i think it ruined vargas. mosley didn't bring his punch up to 147 with him. i remember him unloading all he had on rivera to get a stoppage and it took 10 rounds if i'm not mistaken. that same rivera dropped vargas in his return bout with a single shot before vargas got off the canvas to stop him. i don't think any of that has any bearing on how a fight with trinidad would have turned out...but i do believe that trinidad would have wrecked mosley too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.