Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxing: HBO or Showtime?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Which station do you prefer? Why?
jsmooth
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 15 2011, 11:03 AM) *
Which station do you prefer? Why?

HBO by far. Michael Buffer is a better Announcer. The commentators seems to know more about boxing then the ones from Showtime. HBO the network itself seems to be like brighter visably. 24/7 is killing that bs they got on showtime. and HBO usually has the better fights.
BigFightFan
I prefer HBO over Showtime because:

1. Eventhough we give HBO commentator's a hard time they are a notch above the snooze fest announcers.
2. 24/7 enough said
3. HBO has and always will have the better fights
4. I'm just accustomed to HBO boxing since I was a kid so maybe I'm just biased.
Cshel86
QUOTE (jsmooth @ Dec 15 2011, 12:25 PM) *
HBO the network itself seems to be like brighter visably.

This usually does it for me. Showtime has that gloomy ass look that blows me!

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Dec 15 2011, 12:28 PM) *
I prefer HBO over Showtime because:

1. Eventhough we give HBO commentator's a hard time they are a notch above the snooze fest announcers.
2. 24/7 enough said
3. HBO has and always will have the better fights
4. I'm just accustomed to HBO boxing since I was a kid so maybe I'm just biased.

laugh.gif

+1
Cshel86
Of course, my favorite of the two would be HBO. As of lately (past 2 years), Showtime has been getting points in my book. They both have pros and cons that seem to offset each other, but I guess that what keeps me watching both programs...

HBO:

Pros
1. Has a better setup, great screen resolution
2. It appears to be a bigger network (dont quote me on that)
3. Better commentators
4. Better fighters
5. Better promotional material (Road Block, 24/7, Ring Life, Face-Off)

Cons:
1. Commentators have the tendency to have man-crushes, be nuthuggers, or simply gravitate towards the more popular fighters (not in that order).
2. Sigh...cant think of anymore at the moment...

Showtime:

Pros:
1. The commentators dont nuthugg or have extreme man-crushes...they call the fights just as they go.
2. Most of the fights end in TKO/KO or end controversially...which is good for viewers!
3. Showtime fighters seem to be hungrier
4. Their fights have more undercards than HBO.
5. If a fight ends controversially, their staff dont hesitate to right at it (Jim Grey especially laugh.gif)

Cons:
1. Of course the picture isn't as clear as HBO
2. Commentators aren't as live as HBO
flazi
i have to pick showtime. NO bias, commentators are boring but at least they call it like the see it and no man crushes or pompoms. 360 is just as good as 24/7, they have the fight aftermath which 24/7 doesn't have but i wish it did. Fights are better, more prospects and they are hungry. less hype and bs on showtime.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (flazi @ Dec 15 2011, 04:20 PM) *
i have to pick showtime. NO bias, commentators are boring but at least they call it like the see it and no man crushes or pompoms. 360 is just as good as 24/7, they have the fight aftermath which 24/7 doesn't have but i wish it did. Fights are better, more prospects and they are hungry. less hype and bs on showtime.

No disrespect but 360 is not up to par with 24/7. The narration alone for 24/7 is better than watching 360. 24/7 now has the aftermath, they aired it for Mayweather vs Ortiz and cotto vs margarito.
flazi
when i say aftermath i mean when the fighters are walking back from the ring and all. 360 still has a ways to go but its not scripted like 24/7 its raw and true.
Cshel86
QUOTE (flazi @ Dec 15 2011, 05:43 PM) *
when i say aftermath i mean when the fighters are walking back from the ring and all. 360 still has a ways to go but its not scripted like 24/7 its raw and true.

+1

Though I believe all of it is raw and true...well, except if you lost, then you would have to fix your dialogue a bit laugh.gif
kingknockout
HBO

HBO commentary>>>>>>>>

like someone else has said, better fights.
Snoop
Probably the minority here, but Showtime by far. Al Berstein is P4P when it comes to calling fights. Calls it straight down the middle. HBO is certainly more exciting, but their commentary has no substance. Plus they nuthug the shit out of the house fighters.
Cshel86
Im pissed that the Berto/Ortiz rematch will be on Showtime wtf.gif I mean I like Showtime, but damn...keep it on the same station. The Pascal/Hopkins fight needed an upgrade from Showtime to HBO, and it did well, in regards to the nature of how the fight went.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 15 2011, 01:54 PM) *
Of course, my favorite of the two would be HBO. As of lately (past 2 years), Showtime has been getting points in my book. They both have pros and cons that seem to offset each other, but I guess that what keeps me watching both programs...

HBO:

Pros
1. Has a better setup, great screen resolution
2. It appears to be a bigger network (dont quote me on that)
3. Better commentators
4. Better fighters
5. Better promotional material (Road Block, 24/7, Ring Life, Face-Off)

Cons:
1. Commentators have the tendency to have man-crushes, be nuthuggers, or simply gravitate towards the more popular fighters (not in that order).
2. Sigh...cant think of anymore at the moment...

Showtime:

Pros:
1. The commentators dont nuthugg or have extreme man-crushes...they call the fights just as they go.
2. Most of the fights end in TKO/KO or end controversially...which is good for viewers!
3. Showtime fighters seem to be hungrier
4. Their fights have more undercards than HBO.
5. If a fight ends controversially, their staff dont hesitate to right at it (Jim Grey especially laugh.gif)

Cons:
1. Of course the picture isn't as clear as HBO
2. Commentators aren't as live as HBO

good analysis. i pick showtime. they have the better fights and the better commentators. i don't give a shit about the lighting or any of that other fluff. all i care about is great match ups with solid fighters. showtime does not manufacture or try to force feed us shit. they let the chips fall where they may. there is no favorites...everyone gets a fair shot (except for anyone fighting mares) for the most part.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 06:04 PM) *
good analysis. i pick showtime. they have the better fights and the better commentators. i don't give a shit about the lighting or any of that other fluff. all i care about is great match ups with solid fighters. showtime does not manufacture or try to force feed us shit. they let the chips fall where they may. there is no favorites...everyone gets a fair shot (except for anyone fighting mares) for the most part.

+1

Maybe I've gotten a bit spoiled with HBO laugh.gif Showtime does have the better fighters, in regards to being hungrier and putting up a nasty and entertaining bout.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 07:55 PM) *
+1

Maybe I've gotten a bit spoiled with HBO laugh.gif Showtime does have the better fighters, in regards to being hungrier and putting up a nasty and entertaining bout.

i typically root for underdogs and showtime is the home of the upset. i love that network!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.