Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Big Fights Left to Unify the Titles at 140
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
At this point, Khan is out of the picture, in regards to holding titles at 140. As of now, Peterson is the WBA and IBF champ, and I dont see any bigger fights out there for him, other than a Bradley rematch. Let's picture this...Lamont rematches Bradley (which Im sure Bradley wont hesitate to do) who is still the WBO champ, and either of them wins (really doesn't matter).

So now, we would be looking at a guy that holds the IBF, WBA, and WBO titles. This only leaves one more belt up for grabs, which is the WBC title that Morlaes holds. With that title being won, we would finally have an undisputed champ at 140...something that we've been waiting on for years. From what I understand, the winner of all these titles would be considered "undisputed" (though the WBO belt has been questioned). These alphabet belts can become confusing, but let's look at it from the standpoint of having all of the belts. Help me out if you know something that I dont...wouldn't mind knowing everybody's take on these belts.

Peterson vs Bradley...winner takes on the winner of Morales vs Garcia...to become the undisputed champ in the division.

Possibility? Thoughts?
Seek
Morales vs Garcia. That's going to be a great fight. I'm not sure who is going to take it but I really liked what I saw in Garcia in his last fight. I may be favoring him vs Morales in this one. He's a smart fighter, does everything well and has really good power in both hands.

If Khan doesn't get a shot at Peterson right away he's going to be stuck at 140 for a couple of more fights Unless he decides to move on to ww.

There is so many things going on around 140 and 147 right now, it's really hard to say what's gonna happen. Anything can happen however Peterson Bradley winner vs Morales Garcia winner straight away is unlikely I think. What I want to happen is a Peterson Khan rematch and then the winner take on Bradley. That would be ideal
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Dec 16 2011, 08:27 PM) *
Morales vs Garcia. That's going to be a great fight. I'm not sure who is going to take it but I really liked what I saw in Garcia in his last fight. I may be favoring him vs Morales in this one. He's a smart fighter, does everything well and has really good power in both hands.

If Khan doesn't get a shot at Peterson right away he's going to be stuck at 140 for a couple of more fights Unless he decides to move on to ww.

There is so many things going on around 140 and 147 right now, it's really hard to say what's gonna happen. Anything can happen however Peterson Bradley winner vs Morales Garcia winner straight away is unlikely I think. What I want to happen is a Peterson Khan rematch and then the winner take on Bradley. That would be ideal

Yeah that Morales/Garcia scrap is gonna be a good one...and Im looking at it as a pick 'em fight. He handed Kendall Holt's ass back to him on a silver platter laugh.gif

Khan just needs to accept his loss, in which he took part in bringing to fruition. He was the one that allowed Peterson to him as much as he did. As far I know at the moment, the IBF has declined an immediate Khan/Peterson rematch, so he may be up shit creek if the WBA does the same. The Bradley/Peterson rematch is possible, but yet, it could be a purse issue because Bradley is known to bitch about money that he really doesn't deserve.

Hell, as long as the Bradley/Peterson fight gets inked, the hard part is over. Hopefully Peterson wins that one, so Arum will be out of the picture, in the event that Morales beats Garcia. Im not quite sure who Garcia's promoter is (I think its GBP), hopefully its not Arum. If Morales beats Garcia, then it shouldn't be too hard to put a Peterson fight together. Im sure GBP wouldn't mind having an undisputed Mexican champ, and Peterson's team shouldn't be that hard to negotiate with.

Just some wishful thinking though.
checkleft
I think its a long shot, but it would be fun to watch.

But I think mathysse should be in the mix, he's gotten robbed a couple of times and I think if he fought morales it would have been a great fight.

The Garcia morales fight will be good, its a very loseable fight for a young prospect like Garcia but its a great test as well if he can get through it.
kingknockout
maybe it's just me, but somehow zab judah is never out of the picture...I don't know who he has promoting him, but he always seems to land a big fight some way.....we know how zab does in big fights? he rolls 7 every time...but look at all of the chances he's got to fight someone with a belt?

also if bradley decides to bang with lamont like he did in the first fight....he'll switch into "khan mode" JUST like he did in the first fight....if he chooses to be smart and box, he'll probably win again against peterson, but I hope he doesn't think just because he won the first time he can go in there and try to slug with peterson again, because it was one point in the first fight peterson was throwing body shots with a vengeance and bradley switched his game plan up and got out of that pocket so damn fast. laugh.gif alot of folks seems to have amnesia about that part of the fight and just remember bradley schooling peterson but it did indeed happen...bradley tried to take it into the middle of the ring for a short time, then things went left.
checkleft
^^ I remember that, Bradley might have got the unam but Peterson made him earn that shit... He's a freaking monster on the inside but he's got the ability to box like he did with ortiz
Cshel86
We have to look at where Peterson's been since the Bradley fight. He's fought Ortiz and Khan...two tests that Bradley has yet to scratch the surface with. He was getting the best of Bradley intheir fight, and as Check just said, Lamont made Tim earn that decision. If this does take place, then we're sure to see somewhat of a different fight.

As far as Judah, Maine Events promotes him, and they've done a great job with getting him in contention and championship bouts, so let's not count him out. Hate to say it, but let's not look past him. I just want to see these damn titles unified before I pass over to the next lifetime. Khan wants Mayweather, so fuck 'em...he needs to go after Mayweather since he overlooked Peterson and lost his precious titles.

He messed up his journey for a Mayweather fight, now his little pussy is hurting, and he wants his titles back thumbsdown_anim.gif Let's see what Lamont does to keep things going. Im really ready for this Garcia/Morales fight!
Seek
I'm pumped to see these new 140 fighters. Danny Garcia is fighting for a title and Vernon Paris is stepping up vs Judah. Dangerous fights for both Morales and Judah. Anything can happen

Even though Morales is my guy, i'm leaning towards Danny Garcia. Only saw Vernon Paris once but right now I don't like how Judah fights with Whittaker. I honestly believe he would be better off with his pops
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 12:44 PM) *
Dangerous fights for both Morales and Judah. Anything can happen

Notice how the old and shot fighters are still carrying the sport, while these heartless spring chickens take safe fights and gawk after Floyd and Manny. These two bouts are sure to not disappoint!
Franchize
I think Bradley should have to fight Khan before he gets any other big fight. I don't really care to see Peterson vs Bradley again because it's probably going to end up the same way IMO. The only other relevant person Bradley has beaten is Devin Alexander thumbsdown_anim.gif Peterson, Khan and now Alexander (fighting Maidana) have all taken tougher paths recently. Bradley fighting Cassamayor was disrespectful to boxing. Bradley doesn't deserve Manny or Floyd, and the Peterson vs Bradley fight is useless. To me,that leaves Khan, who still may be the bigger name despite losing. If you won't fight Khan now, even after being exposed, you're an ultimate pussy.

When you think about it, Bob Arum is holding up @ least 3 weightclasses. 140 (Bradley won't fight anybody) 147 (Manny fights in house) and 154 {or whatever JCC fights at} (JCC Jr is fighting bums). Is he trying to create a monopoly? lol
Seek
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 18 2012, 04:47 PM) *
I think Bradley should have to fight Khan before he gets any other big fight. I don't really care to see Peterson vs Bradley again because it's probably going to end up the same way IMO. The only other relevant person Bradley has beaten is Devin Alexander thumbsdown_anim.gif Peterson, Khan and now Alexander (fighting Maidana) have all taken tougher paths recently. Bradley fighting Cassamayor was disrespectful to boxing. Bradley doesn't deserve Manny or Floyd, and the Peterson vs Bradley fight is useless. To me,that leaves Khan, who still may be the bigger name despite losing. If you won't fight Khan now, even after being exposed, you're an ultimate pussy.

When you think about it, Bob Arum is holding up @ least 3 weightclasses. 140 (Bradley won't fight anybody) 147 (Manny fights in house) and 154 {or whatever JCC fights at} (JCC Jr is fighting bums). Is he trying to create a monopoly? lol

JCC fights at 160 bro

I disagree with your view on Bradley. He has had a tough road, fought all comers other than Khan but there were promoter issues going on with that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 18 2012, 04:47 PM) *

I agree with the Khan/Bradley fight that needs to happen, if not, then Arum will dig up another dead body for Bradley. A Peterson/Bradley fight may have some spark to it, and Im sure Lamont will bring it this time, since he's fought somewhat tougher fights since then.

Bradley needs to take on all comers at this point, like he did in the past, because this sitting around waiting for Pac & May while corpses get put in front of him, is not a good look. I mean hell, Khan will shed some light Bradley's name, and at least we can say that he's fought somebody of some type of substance lately.

QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 05:11 PM) *
I disagree with your view on Bradley. He has had a tough road, fought all comers other than Khan but there were promoter issues going on with that.

His road has been decent, if anything. He's fought most comers, but Im surprised that he didn't ask for a Khan after he switched promoters. Oh I forgot, Bob aint doin' business with GBP. Honestly, I believe Khan beats Bradley, because of the height and reach differences, and Khan does move a lot...which may cause Bradley to get wreckless while trying to close the distance.

Khan has a name, and that's what Bradley needs on his resume (at the moment), so that viewers will have some type of interest in watching him headline a PPV with the top fighters. You're right, they didn't fight because of Tim's contract issues.
mgrover
i want morales just to win it all and be the undisputed champ to show these bitches how its done
BrutalBodyShots
I'll tell you what, I like what I see from Morales since he's taken a little time off to recharge his batteries. I had him over Maidana in a close fight that not only most picked him to lose, but get beaten in one sided fashion and stopped.

I don't know anything about the guy he's fighting other than he's a young, undefeated fighter... which is what Morales faced the last time out. 9 times out of 10 unless the veteran is shot I'll take experience over youth, unless I see something really special in the up and comer. I have not seen Garcia, so my pick may not hold much water but I say Morales at this point in the game.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 18 2012, 07:35 PM) *
I have not seen Garcia, so my pick may not hold much water but I say Morales at this point in the game.

Garcia pretty much handled Holt on the Dawson/Hopkins undercard. He has a nice right hand and decent defense, but I think Morales will pull something out of his ass and make Garcia fight...something Holt couldn't do.
MaxPayne
I think a name that absolutely has to be thrown into the mix is Lucas Mathysse.

Let's face it: he only has 2 losses in his career, and both of those were bullshit split decisions. Especially in the Alexander fight, I kept thinking that it was a foregone conclusion that Alexander at one point was just trying to survive, but more so that he was being embarrassed in there.

This guy has brilliant power, excellent boxing ability and an absolutely granite chin. I think he deserves fights against any of the people we've mentioned and I'll tell you what: provided that there's relatively impartial judges, I would pick him to beat practically anyone in this division outside of Timothy Bradley.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 18 2012, 10:38 PM) *
I think a name that absolutely has to be thrown into the mix is Lucas Mathysse.

Let's face it: he only has 2 losses in his career, and both of those were bullshit split decisions. Especially in the Alexander fight, I kept thinking that it was a foregone conclusion that Alexander at one point was just trying to survive, but more so that he was being embarrassed in there.

This guy has brilliant power, excellent boxing ability and an absolutely granite chin. I think he deserves fights against any of the people we've mentioned and I'll tell you what: provided that there's relatively impartial judges, I would pick him to beat practically anyone in this division outside of Timothy Bradley.

This is another guy thats pretty much being avoided (I would guess). Yes, both of those loses were bullshit, but the blame could have easily been placed back on him. This is how he fights:
  1. He allows guys to bank the first few rounds, or he simply takes too long to adjust
  2. He beats the guys down in the middle rounds
  3. He leaves the last couple of rounds in the air...translation: He leaves the last couple of rounds in the hands of the judges
  4. He cries robbery when the decision comes around, in which both of these loses were close/split decisions

I would love to see him fight Bradley!
Franchize
Lamont Peterson, Devin Alexander, Kendall Holt, Edner Cherry, Junior Witter are decent names for your resume' but hardly big enough to call shots. Let's face it, none of those guys,while talented, are even PPV worthy. Neither is Bradley. You don't get to call out the big guns until you're PPV worthy. Bradley's record is better than Khan's but Amir is still the bigger draw IMO so I don't get where Bradley gets the audacity to say he's not going to fight somebody. Popularity wise, he's still on the level of Alexander. I think Peterson even eclipsed him now. I think there's a lot of good fights to be made @ 140 before all these guys start moving up to 47.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 19 2012, 12:30 PM) *
Lamont Peterson, Devin Alexander, Kendall Holt, Edner Cherry, Junior Witter are decent names for your resume' but hardly big enough to call shots. Let's face it, none of those guys,while talented, are even PPV worthy. Neither is Bradley. You don't get to call out the big guns until you're PPV worthy. Bradley's record is better than Khan's but Amir is still the bigger draw IMO so I don't get where Bradley gets the audacity to say he's not going to fight somebody. Popularity wise, he's still on the level of Alexander. I think Peterson even eclipsed him now. I think there's a lot of good fights to be made @ 140 before all these guys start moving up to 47.

Good post! Tim's resume is somewhat better than Khan's, but Khan did fight one of the "over the hump" fighters in the division, and the was the Maidana...the other being Matthysse. Bradley has fought neither of the two, but I remember a Bradley/Maidana fight in the talks, but Maidana had back problems or some shit like that. Had the Alexander fight been better, Timmy would have had the edge, and edge is the operative word here.

Maidana has beat Ortiz, who was supposed to be the next big star, so that automatically put him a few steps closer to the top (I would say). I said that based off of where Ortiz is in his career at the moment. I haven't seen Bradley fight one of those guys that are sure knock you out, but you have to get past him. If he fight Matthysse and gets past him convincingly, then I will give him his just due. Hell, even Devon fought Lucas, to prove himself...didn't go so well though.
Seek
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 19 2012, 12:30 PM) *

Bradley didn't just rejected a fight with Khan. He rejected fighting under a promoter. And where do you draw the line for being PPV worthy. If you aren't aware yet, there is nobody else that is PPV worthy. You can almost say Bradley is more proven than Ortiz or Berto, the top players at 147. Berto hasn't done much, Ortiz beat Berto which is okay, but the way he did it gives him some extra points. PPV worthy to me is fighting the best there is out there, how well you did it and what type of skills you bring to the table. Bradley is most noteworthy out of all the available opponents.

And why does Bradley have to stick around at 140 to fight new up and comers? He already did that with his 140 resume, it's time to move on. You didn't see Floyd stick around 135 or 140 did you? No he fought the guys considered the best there and moved on. Bradley did that -Khan and is moving on. That's how I see it
Cshel86
As far as fighters being PPV worthy, everybody has to start somewhere. I remember Pacquiao headlining PPVs with Morales, Marquez II, Diaz...those did "okay" numbers, some of them more than others. Fact is, these new guys aren't doing much in the ring, and their promoters are only working with what they have. If Berto/Ortiz II were a PPV, I surely would order it.

Hell, this may sound far fetched, but I would've ordered the first one if were a PPV. These guys need ring appeal (or more ring appeal), and personalities that are easier to promote. If Bradley has another good fight at 140, and Khan/Bradley were a PPV (at a low price), I would buy it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.