Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behind the Scenes, Haymon Is Shaking Up the Fight Game
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
pesticid
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/sports/b...nted=1&_r=1

I am actually surprised that fighthype didn't write that, who knows maybe Ben and Percy have even more insight as far as Al Haymon goes
Allmenjoi8
This article is character assassination. They are bascially saying that Al is bad for the sport. Which is weird because Arum does the same thing. He is a promoter that puts his managers with his boxers. Al Haymon is doing something that promoters and managers hate, he is paying his boxers. Boxing is run mostly by Jews and white men. When they see a threat like Haymon is, he is getting all the credit, taking all the young talent and making them RICH! They do not get a cut.l The same thing happen with Suge Knight and Death Row, he was taking so much money from the major record companies that they had to put an end to it. Al is doing what a promoter or whatever the hell he is considers himself is suppose to do, make his fighters MONEY. I like that. He is Harvard educated and being a smart business is even better. I hope more guys run to Al Haymon, I am tired of the promoters and managers getting all the money and the boxers are left with 0. Pacquiao should sign with Haymon maybe he would get bigger purses in all the money he is suppose to get. This is a BS article and a spin. Now they are going to shift the blame to Al Haymon for the Pac and May fight not happening. It is not Arum's fault but Al Haymon. BS! But thanks for the article.
BigFightFan
Al Haymon is taking money out of the promoters pocket and placing it into the hands of the fighters. I'm sure Arum Considers him the devil
mgrover
meh the article gives a brief over view of who Al is, since a lot of people me including were like WTF
thehype
Not much new info regarding Al Haymon as it relates to boxing. Some good info on his background from the music industry however. I will say, however, that he's NOT standing in the way of Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. Everyone around Floyd believes 100% that Pacquiao is an EASY fight, so they're all more than eager to make the fight a reality.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 18 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Not much new info regarding Al Haymon as it relates to boxing. Some good info on his background from the music industry however. I will say, however, that he's NOT standing in the way of Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. Everyone around Floyd believes 100% that Pacquiao is an EASY fight, so they're all more than eager to make the fight a reality.

From the article it seems that promoters in the sport are looking at his dealings from a legal standpoint. Have you heard anything/ what are your thoughts?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 18 2011, 10:32 AM) *
This article is character assassination. They are bascially saying that Al is bad for the sport. Which is weird because Arum does the same thing. He is a promoter that puts his managers with his boxers. Al Haymon is doing something that promoters and managers hate, he is paying his boxers. Boxing is run mostly by Jews and white men. When they see a threat like Haymon is, he is getting all the credit, taking all the young talent and making them RICH! They do not get a cut.l The same thing happen with Suge Knight and Death Row, he was taking so much money from the major record companies that they had to put an end to it. Al is doing what a promoter or whatever the hell he is considers himself is suppose to do, make his fighters MONEY. I like that. He is Harvard educated and being a smart business is even better. I hope more guys run to Al Haymon, I am tired of the promoters and managers getting all the money and the boxers are left with 0. Pacquiao should sign with Haymon maybe he would get bigger purses in all the money he is suppose to get. This is a BS article and a spin. Now they are going to shift the blame to Al Haymon for the Pac and May fight not happening. It is not Arum's fault but Al Haymon. BS! But thanks for the article.

Breeeeaaathe.
Cshel86

Clueless and overzealous no2.gif
bnoles4life
In general, I think it was a decent article and definitely, don't see it as character assassination. Then again, I am of the belief, most, if not all people/situations are like pancakes; no matter how flat, they have two sides to them.
bnoles4life
The same thing happen with Suge Knight and Death Row, he was taking so much money from the major record companies that they had to put an end to it. .

Did you just create a parallel b/t Al Haymon & Suge Knight? wtf.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Dec 18 2011, 08:47 PM) *
Did you just create a parallel b/t Al Haymon & Suge Knight? wtf.gif

I know you did not get a degree in English or language, I did. So I had to study tone inferences and other methods of persuasive writing. That article was saying or trying to point out that Al is a shady cat and he is basically bad for boxing. They sugar coated the hell out of it but I understood what they were that to say. He plays promoter and manager when you are not suppose to do that. He only cares about the money instead of the fighter. Stop just reading the print and go beyond it.

Suge Knight despite his image is a very good business man. because his company was taking so much away from the major record labels. They tried to way what he was doing unethical but what he was doing was no different than any other label. It is called similarities, Stop being such a patronizing bitch, it is starting to get annoying.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:06 PM) *
I know you did not get a degree in English or language, I did.

Did you just credential "drop"? SMH.
bnoles4life
I know you did not get a degree in English or language, I did. So I had to study tone inferences and other methods of persuasive writing. That article was saying or trying to point out that Al is a shady cat and he is basically bad for boxing. They sugar coated the hell out of it but I understood what they were that to say. He plays promoter and manager when you are not suppose to do that. He only cares about the money instead of the fighter. Stop just reading the print and go beyond it.

Suge Knight despite his image is a very good business man. because his company was taking so much away from the major record labels. They tried to way what he was doing unethical but what he was doing was no different than any other label. It is called similarities, Stop being such a patronizing bitch, it is starting to get annoying.

Conspiracy theory much? Btw, Al IS a "shady" cat, b/c boxing is a "shady" business, but he isn't alone in this. Contrary to what you might think, there is no "honor" among thieves.
mgrover
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 19 2011, 01:06 AM) *

really? are you sure thats what the article does because am sure from everything it says is that he adds money to boxers and the fans, did you buy your degree?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 18 2011, 08:18 PM) *
really? are you sure thats what the article does because am sure from everything it says is that he adds money to boxers and the fans, did you buy your degree?

+1
pesticid
The article was interesting and objective, at least I found it to be. I mean I wish I knew more about Al's background. He seems like a introverted analytical type, yet he runs promotions for entertainers. Obviously, he's very smart and intelligent and I am curious to know how he made all these contacts with him being such an introvert. Then maybe I don't know the business of promoting, but then again King and Arum are always in your face and at least in boxing they are the best. I don't know about music artists though. So Haymon is an enigma to me as far as him being able to promote fighters like that.
Cshel86

The point is, some things should be thoroughly explained before being used as examples. As its been said, Al Haymon was pretty big in the music business, even if his name wasn't put out there like that. So, I see why you used it as a comparison to Suge Knight and the music business, though it may not all have added up.

Haymon may only care about money instead of the fighter (according to your observation), but it appears that his fighters are past satisfied with his work. Suge Knight was only a good businessman because "pain compliance" usually followed the ones who didn't want to roll with it. I dont remember hearing about Al Haymon trying to fuck anybody up if they didn't peep his campaign...

NOW, if you want to talk about that, then we can point towards James Prince (owner/president of Rap-A-Lot Records) who managed FMJ, Corrales, Mosley, and more than a few fighters. This may be a rumor, but he (James) and some of his people came after Floyd with baseball bats over some money. Anybody can help me out with that story since I cant 100% confirm it, but being the fact that he (James) dealt with a bunch of thugs in the music business, Im sure he knows how to be a "very good business man".

Hell, J. Prince was at the Ward fight last night. He may have something to do with Ward...
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:40 PM) *
The point is, some thing should be thoroughly explained before being used as examples. As its been said, Al Haymon was pretty big in the music business, even if his name wasn't put out there like that. So, I see why you used it as a comparison to Suge Knight and the music business, though it may not all have added up.

Haymon may only care about money instead of the fighter (according to your observation), but it appears that his fighters are past satisfied with his work. Suge Knight was only a good businessman because "pain compliance" usually followed the ones who didn't want to roll with it. I dont remember hearing about Al Haymon trying to fuck anybody up if they didn't peep his campaign...

NOW, if you want to talk about that, then we can point towards James Prince (owner/president of Rap-A-Lot Records) who managed FMJ, Corrales, Mosley, and more than a few fighters. This may be a rumor, but he (James) and some of his people came after Floyd with baseball bats over some money. Anybody can help me out with that story since I cant 100% confirm it, but being the fact that he (James) dealt with a bunch of thugs in the music business, Im sure he knows how to be a "very good business man".

Hell, J. Prince was at the Ward fight last night. He may have something to do with Ward...

I think I remember that, was it during the mayweather agustus fight that he promoted him?

This has been a pretty interesting thread, personally I like what al haymon does for his fighters. He seems to try to.get them the best possible fights and they never seem to complain about their split. And he does most of his work on the dl unlike the rest of these loud mouth promoters.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 19 2011, 01:21 PM) *
I think I remember that, was it during the mayweather agustus fight that he promoted him?

This has been a pretty interesting thread, personally I like what al haymon does for his fighters. He seems to try to.get them the best possible fights and they never seem to complain about their split. And he does most of his work on the dl unlike the rest of these loud mouth promoters.

I believe he was somewhat of a manager to Floyd, and I remember him being around quite often in the early parts for Floyd's career. Thats the funniest part about Al Haymon, you hardly ever (if ever) hear his fighters complain about anything (FMJ, Broner, P. Williams, Russell, Berto, and a few others).
BoxingEinstein

Haymon is a genius, to get your fighter most of the income in revenues, gate and upfront cash plus the ppv sales is just straight genius. How can anyone dislike this man? He makes his fighters get rich and wealthy in a small amount of time. The chance of Pacquaio going to Haymon is as much of a chance that Windbag Arum will make the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight happen. Who is this Almenjoi character? They have terrible English literature skills and their analogies is a bit off.

Bar none Haymon is considered the best in the business to get a fighter paid without any worries. I think if Floyd would have went to Haymon earlier on in his career he wouldn't have fought the likes of Corrales, Castillo, Hernandez, and even Corley. Haymon allows his fighters to face sublime competition while getting paid alot. If you were a fighter coming up and you had the choice would you go to Dibella or Haymon? Exactly.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Allmenjoi, did you just reply that you receieved an English degree? HAHAHAHAHAHAH GTFO...I've seen 6th graders write with better grammar and spelling than you. Shit, elementary kids know better grammer than you lol getting owned in the thread.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 18 2011, 06:02 PM) *

Clueless and overzealous no2.gif

what did she say that wasn't accurate?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 18 2011, 08:40 PM) *
The point is, some things should be thoroughly explained before being used as examples. As its been said, Al Haymon was pretty big in the music business, even if his name wasn't put out there like that. So, I see why you used it as a comparison to Suge Knight and the music business, though it may not all have added up.

disregard my previous question.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Dec 19 2011, 03:27 PM) *
Haymon is a genius, to get your fighter most of the income in revenues, gate and upfront cash plus the ppv sales is just straight genius. How can anyone dislike this man? He makes his fighters get rich and wealthy in a small amount of time. The chance of Pacquaio going to Haymon is as much of a chance that Windbag Arum will make the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight happen. Who is this Almenjoi character? They have terrible English literature skills and their analogies is a bit off.

Bar none Haymon is considered the best in the business to get a fighter paid without any worries. I think if Floyd would have went to Haymon earlier on in his career he wouldn't have fought the likes of Corrales, Castillo, Hernandez, and even Corley. Haymon allows his fighters to face sublime competition while getting paid alot. If you were a fighter coming up and you had the choice would you go to Dibella or Haymon? Exactly.

i agree. the dude is the best at what he does. i disagree with the part about floyd not fighting corrales, castillo etc...if that was true..williams would have never faced martinez twice....and arreolla would have never faced klitschko.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 05:39 PM) *
i agree. the dude is the best at what he does. i disagree with the part about floyd not fighting corrales, castillo etc...if that was true..williams would have never faced martinez twice....and arreolla would have never faced klitschko.

+1

Let's look out for Williams/Martinez III...anything can happen when Haymon's involved laugh.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Dec 19 2011, 05:53 PM) *
Allmenjoi, did you just reply that you receieved an English degree? HAHAHAHAHAHAH GTFO...I've seen 6th graders write with better grammar and spelling than you. Shit, elementary kids know better grammer than you lol getting owned in the thread.

Didn't know I had to write professionally on a boxing message board. and they do not use slang abbreviation in the writing world like GTFO. A English teacher would argue that you are failing to connect with your audience because they may not know what GFTO stands for. and you spelled GRAMMAR incorrectly. Fucking rookie and it is i before e except after C with received, my fucking goodness! That Devry degree isn't working for you is it?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
hahahhaha, I'm not the one claiming to be an English major fucktard. I openly admit I don't write that great, which is why I chose to be an accounting major. I proofread all my important emails and work assignments though.

Since you love to critique my writing, it's AN ENGLISH techer. Oh, and you capitalize the word after a period fucktard. You don't know shit about this sport, and it's pretty obvious in reading most of your posts. You ever been in a boxing gym? Nah, from what I've heard it sounds like the gym isn't one of your places to go if ya know what I mean.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 07:07 PM) *
+1

Let's look out for Williams/Martinez III...anything can happen when Haymon's involved laugh.gif

i'm not sure that is gonna happen. williams has a long road back and there aren't very many winnable fights that he is interested in out there for martinez.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 19 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Didn't know I had to write professionally on a boxing message board. and they do not use slang abbreviation in the writing world like GTFO. A English teacher would argue that you are failing to connect with your audience because they may not know what GFTO stands for. and you spelled GRAMMAR incorrectly. Fucking rookie and it is i before e except after C with received, my fucking goodness! That Devry degree isn't working for you is it?

i'm not trying to get involved...but i think it's "an english teacher" laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 08:56 PM) *
i'm not sure that is gonna happen. williams has a long road back and there aren't very many winnable fights that he is interested in out there for martinez.

Like I said...leave it to Haymon...anything can happen. We never know! As much as I dont want to believe it, this could be one of those "WTF" fights that get sinked in '12...there's at least one or two fights a year like this.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 09:00 PM) *
Like I said...leave it to Haymon...anything can happen. We never know! As much as I dont want to believe it, this could be one of those "WTF" fights that get sinked in '12...there's at least one or two fights a year like this.

i'd like to see williams win a few before he gets back in with martinez.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 09:04 PM) *
i'd like to see williams win a few before he gets back in with martinez.

More than likely we will...THEN we'll see the rubber match laugh.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 19 2011, 09:58 PM) *
i'm not trying to get involved...but i think it's "an english teacher" laugh.gif

Honestly from what I have been taught it can be either or. It is a tricky thing the use of "a" or "an". Either sounds correct. Some teachers or professors prefer a and other an... it all depends.
wolterb
^
IN GENERAL,

AN is used as A would for words that begin with a VOWEL.

A bug
An ant
A zebra
An inch

There is variation, though. For instance: An hour. A horse.

A good rule of thumb is saying whatever thought you are trying to convey in writing OUT LOUD to yourself and listening to what sounds naturally better.

Final word: who fuckin' cares. this shit is trivial when speaking in colloquialisms to each-other on a message board. Maybe in the future when the internet is even more of a primary means of communication things will change.

UNTIL THEN...ain't matter STFU. lol jk
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
HAHAHAHAHAHAH Allmenjoi owned again lol.

BTW, it's not a teacher's preference, it's something you learn around 2nd grade. Maybe you didn't make it that far eh?
wolterb
don't get it confused, i'm not throwing anybody under the bus. there is a great deal of ambiguity with all writing...I think allmenjoi is alright. in fact, i agree with her that gettin attacked for grammar in forum posts is gabbage but thats just me.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Dec 19 2011, 09:09 PM) *
hahahhaha, I'm not the one claiming to be an English major fucktard. I openly admit I don't write that great, which is why I chose to be an accounting major. I proofread all my important emails and work assignments though.

Since you love to critique my writing, it's AN ENGLISH techer. Oh, and you capitalize the word after a period fucktard. You don't know shit about this sport, and it's pretty obvious in reading most of your posts. You ever been in a boxing gym? Nah, from what I've heard it sounds like the gym isn't one of your places to go if ya know what I mean.

I am going to end this: calling me names does not make you right or prove your point. I know everyone wants to make a name for themselves on this board which is great. But really your argument is oblivious. So let's get back to boxing. And you spelled teacher wrong.

Al Haymon is promoting boxing in a new way. He is letting the boxer actually make money before the promoter. This should be the case, in the past where boxers were openly taken advantage of this is a healthy start. The more money the boxers can make the more attractive the sport becomes.
Hops
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 20 2011, 10:49 PM) *
Honestly from what I have been taught it can be either or. It is a tricky thing the use of "a" or "an". Either sounds correct. Some teachers or professors prefer a and other an... it all depends.

It's AN English teacher.

What English speaking planet are you from?
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Hops @ Dec 20 2011, 09:12 PM) *
It's AN English teacher.

What English speaking planet are you from?

An English teacher from UCLA has disputed claims that Shakespeare wrote all his plays and sonnets.

A English teacher from UCLA has disputed claims that Shakespeare wrote all his plays and sonnets.

A teacher is the most important person in a child's life.

An teacher is the most important person in a child's life.

Your first example is either or, your second example speaks for itself. Again it is a preference. I have been on both sides of the boat. You keep arguing.

Because English is spoken differently in neighborhoods, states, and cities I would have to say a mixture of Southern California slang and Eastern Alabama lingo.
Cshel86

What tha hell happened to this thread?

laugh.gif
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 20 2011, 08:52 PM) *

What tha hell happened to this thread?

laugh.gif

LMAO!!...This Almenjoi character keeps getting out of content and topic all in the same sentence. One of the worst posters that has graced fighthype.. He or She somehow brings Floyd's name up in topics that doesn't even have Mayweather's name or connection in it. Destroy this thread Shel.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Hell no, don't end this thread this shit's classic. Yea, I spelt teacher wrong fucktard, sue me, I admitted I can't write that well. It doesn't make sense to put "an teacher" because teacher doesn't start with a vowel. This chick don't even know other boxers straight up. Remember hassmin rahhman or something like that lol. Or how bout that James Tony lol...Or maybe that Clottey can stay in Uganda lol? You see, you do it to yourself, and nobody is trying to make a name on this message board. However, people who are serious about the sport take exception to others who really don't know shit about other fighters, but try to spout off like they do. You know what's really sad? When that punk ass gayweather retires, you won't follow the sport for shit. Ya know he's a women beater right? Fine young man right their lol. Now we can end it.
Cshel86
Funny how two people are having life & death battles with spelling and grammar, but yet they are fighting about who's grammar and spelling is worse...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
No, I just kind of take exception when people run around spouting off about their English degrees, then make mistakes elementary school students don't make anymore. It'd be like me coming in spouting off about my degree in accounting, then explaining debits and credits wrong. Feel me on that?
Cshel86
You have no idea how much Im enjoying this...

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 20 2011, 08:08 PM) *
Al Haymon is promoting boxing in a new way. He is letting the boxer actually make money before the promoter. This should be the case, in the past where boxers were openly taken advantage of this is a healthy start. The more money the boxers can make the more attractive the sport becomes.

totally agree, but there are some who feel that hungry fighters are the best fighters. maybe it's best to hold their money until the career is over? u might be on to something!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 20 2011, 10:31 PM) *
Funny how two people are having life & death battles with spelling and grammar, but yet they are fighting about who's grammar and spelling is worse...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

that's what makes shit like this classic! laugh.gif
Cshel86
This thread is dead already??? No way! No fun!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Oh, believe me; I could go a lot harder on Allmenjoi. However, that's like the senior in high school picking a fight with AN eighth grader.
Warlord
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 20 2011, 05:49 PM) *

It's not a "tricky thing", you're just a trick.

"A" is used for words beginning with a consonant.
"An" is used for words beginning with a vowel, consonants that take vowel sounds, or unvoiced consonants.

You're a retard.
You're an ignorant retard.
Period.
Now STFU.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.