Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should There be less Weight divisons?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
Currently there are 16 weight divisons and a million different belts. Would it be possible to merge certain weight classes together? Would it make a big difference in boxing or would it be a bad idea? And should there be instant replay in boxing?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 19 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Currently there are 16 weight divisons and a million different belts. Would it be possible to merge certain weight classes together? Would it make a big difference in boxing or would it be a bad idea? And should there be instant replay in boxing?

Yes. I think a few of the lower divisions could be combined. I'd like to see 168 and 175 combined. I'd like to see a super heavywieght division(235 and up). I think its criminal in many cases when I see guys 210 fighting guys that are 260 or more. I think that needs to be addressed. 135 and 130 can be combined.

I think that with a few less classes, we'd have some better gights. Especially seeing what guys like Manny(with his PEDs) has been able to accomplish, weight classes in mann cases dont seem to matter. A natural 150lb guy can suck down to make weight in a 135lb fight, just so he can dominate that division. Incidentally he comes in on fight night at 152 or something. I think thats wrong too. I think fewer weight classes would help reduce those situations.
pimpfighterROQ
I think the weight divisions we have right now should stay. Some fighters have a hard time gaining or losing weight for a particular division if we had less divisions like old school boxing before. What needs to be fixed are the damn belts. It's like a damn alphabet soup. WBC, IBF, WBO, WBA, and many more. I think it should have at least 2 or 3 belts and have mandatory fights for holding that belt. Not pick and choose who to fight like Pac or Mayweather. A good example of that right now is Chavez Jr. He is mandatory to defend the belt he was given from Martinez. Seriously boxing needs to fix this mess in order to get out of that "dying sport" not dead.

mgrover
i think weigh in should be on fight night no shitty rehydrating by 20lb you should fight the weight your at.
Cheesey1
I hate questions that make me think. I think that we're okay as is, but as was already mentioned, the heavyweight division could do with being expaned to include a super heavyweight class. In addition, the time when boxers actually weigh in probably requires another look, but only if it makes sense from the perspective of the boxer's health. Also, as already said, there are too many sanctioning bodies.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 19 2011, 02:00 AM) *
Yes. I think a few of the lower divisions could be combined. I'd like to see 168 and 175 combined. I'd like to see a super heavywieght division(235 and up). I think its criminal in many cases when I see guys 210 fighting guys that are 260 or more. I think that needs to be addressed. 135 and 130 can be combined.

I think that with a few less classes, we'd have some better gights. Especially seeing what guys like Manny(with his PEDs) has been able to accomplish, weight classes in mann cases dont seem to matter. A natural 150lb guy can suck down to make weight in a 135lb fight, just so he can dominate that division. Incidentally he comes in on fight night at 152 or something. I think thats wrong too. I think fewer weight classes would help reduce those situations.

Good calls. 168 and 175 is "no-man's land" and in addition, expand cruiserweight up to 210. HW 220-230 and SHW 235+ as you've mentioned.
mrwigi
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 19 2011, 07:29 AM) *
i think weigh in should be on fight night no shitty rehydrating by 20lb you should fight the weight your at.

+1
I've always felt like that. To me, thats not fair. You should be weighed the day of the fight to make sure one guy isnt 147 and the other 167. Its just not fair. I still think some divisions should be combined like 130 and 135. There are just to many. I mean, 16.. come on.. And the belts as well. Just way to many. I always thought there should be 3 belts, and that would make for more entertaining fights and make it easier for one person to Unify the division. Just my opinion though.
Megadeth
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Dec 19 2011, 12:15 PM) *
+1
I've always felt like that. To me, thats not fair. You should be weighed the day of the fight to make sure one guy isnt 147 and the other 167. Its just not fair. I still think some divisions should be combined like 130 and 135. There are just to many. I mean, 16.. come on.. And the belts as well. Just way to many. I always thought there should be 3 belts, and that would make for more entertaining fights and make it easier for one person to Unify the division. Just my opinion though.

I would love to see weight classes combined, there are way to many and it takes away from the sport.

Regrading the weigh in and weight gain issue, i would love to see weigh in the day of the fight. A perfect example is a couple of weeks ago for the peterson vs khan fight, on fight night Peterson came in at 155. The fight was jr welterweight and he came in as a jr middleweight...wtf?
Cheesey1
Instant replay, yes.
Cshel86
I dont fully agree that there should be less weight divisions, but I wont argue anybody's point either...they all make sense. Truthfully, there should be tournaments in EVERY division, so that those divisions will get the much needed exposure.

To be honest, I hardly pay attention to any division below 118 and nothing higher than 168...my attention span used to stop after middleweight, until this Super Six kicked off a couple years ago. The smaller the fighter is, the less we hear about 'em, and the heavier they are, the more drinks it takes me to sit through the bout.

Oh yeah, instant replay...I've been fussing about this for years, since the choices of referees are nothing younger than senior citizens. If its gonna be "instant" then they need to find a way to keep it that way. Hell, a guys face could be cut wide open, and I hate for the docs to pause the fight for inspection, so this process needs to be quick. Shit, Im already suffering from this "booth review" mess after every touchdown, so yeah, this instant replay needs to be as instant as possible laugh.gif
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2011, 06:18 PM) *
I dont fully agree that there should be less weight divisions, but I wont argue anybody's point either...they all make sense. Truthfully, there should be tournaments in EVERY division, so that those divisions will get the much needed exposure.

To be honest, I hardly pay attention to any division below 118 and nothing higher than 168...my attention span used to stop after middleweight, until this Super Six kicked off a couple years ago. The smaller the fighter is, the less we hear about 'em, and the heavier they are, the more drinks it takes me to sit through the bout.

Oh yeah, instant replay...I've been fussing about this for years, since the choices of referees are nothing younger than senior citizens. If its gonna be "instant" then they need to find a way to keep it that way. Hell, a guys face could be cut wide open, and I hate for the docs to pause the fight for inspection, so this process needs to be quick. Shit, Im already suffering from this "booth review" mess after every touchdown, so yeah, this instant replay needs to be as instant as possible laugh.gif

I would say instant replay can be done between rounds. When the boxers go to there corners. They would have 30 seconds to make a decision and that would be it. They can enforce whatever it is that they need to enforce before the bell rings. Once the bell rings that is it. Sounds good?

And I am not a shitty poster threaten.gif

I watch mostly Junior Welter weights to Cruiser weight. I do not pay attention to the heavyweights I may start because of Seth Mitchelle
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 19 2011, 06:56 PM) *
I would say instant replay can be done between rounds. When the boxers go to there corners. They would have 30 seconds to make a decision and that would be it. They can enforce whatever it is that they need to enforce before the bell rings. Once the bell rings that is it. Sounds good?

+1
Orthodoxxx
Weight classes that differ between 5 or even as little as 3 pounds? Ridiculous. That's why this whole catchweight business in Pac's recent career has been a joke because it really isn't necessary considering that the divisions are so damn close to each other. The overabundance of weight classes is just as absurd as the multiple sanctioning bodies and championships. MMA's divisions differ no less than 10 lbs. apart, and we've seen a champion like Anderson Silva jump from 185 to 205 on multiple occasions and look like magic. If boxing was that way then the fight between Floyd and Martinez isn't even as farfetched as so many seem to imply.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.