Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Linares/DeMarco II Necessary?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Im not sure how many of you watched the undercards of the Hopkins/Dawson fight, but the Linares/Demarco war took place that night. Linares was the top guy, HBO commentators were blowing him, and so forth...since he sparred 30 rounds with Pacquiao. Demarco on the other hand, had nothing to lose, and received almost no accolades from announcers.

The fight pretty much went down like Cotto/Margarito I...Linares was landing the faster and cleaner punches, and exhibiting great body movement. DeMaro was taking all of the punches, but never stopped coming forward and landing some of his own slow and hard shots. Midway through the fight, Linares sustained the cut on the bridge of his nose and over his right eye...changing the pace of the fight.

DeMarco began to come on stronger and land what he wanted to land, while Linares eventually went into survival mode, and got stopped in the 11th. Obviously, there was no scandal behind this victory for DeMarco, but the fight went just as Cotto/Margarito I went.

Does anybody think that its necessary to have a rematch between these two, or is it a loss that Linares should just accept and move on?
Plah
All I know is that Linares will win if it takes place.
mgrover
simply yes
Cshel86
QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 31 2011, 08:24 AM) *
All I know is that Linares will win if it takes place.

Really? How?

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 31 2011, 09:48 AM) *
simply yes

Yes, you think a rematch is necessary? If so, then Linares has mad demons to fight before he should even think of taking this fight again laugh.gif Its definitely worth watching again though!
Cshel86
At this point, I dont believe Linares should take a rematch with DeMarco, if its ever offered to him. With the ass-kickin' that he took, he should really keep it movin'. BUT, for our entertainment, I definitely wanna see a rematch! laugh.gif

That shit reminded me of Cotto/Margarito 1 all over again no2.gif Linares did everything he could, but meant nothing in the end. Hell, we almost saw Jessie Vargas get run down by Lopez a few months ago.
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 31 2011, 05:43 PM) *
Really? How?

Yes, you think a rematch is necessary? If so, then Linares has mad demons to fight before he should even think of taking this fight again laugh.gif Its definitely worth watching again though!

simply because he was the better man, he just became reckless and tried to trade with demarco, thats when it went tits up, in the rematch he'd remember why he lost the first time and remember not to dick around, a fairly important lesson i think
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 31 2011, 01:49 PM) *
simply because he was the better man, he just became reckless and tried to trade with demarco, thats when it went tits up, in the rematch he'd remember why he lost the first time and remember not to dick around, a fairly important lesson i think

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

As soon as I get done laughing at your terminology in this post, I will get back to you!
flazi
Yes! all action fight. this time i gotta say linares wins though which will open up the door for a part 3 lol.
MaxPayne
I think a rematch is absolutely necessary and that holds for any fight where someone is leading by miles but then gets stopped. The guy deserves a chance to try and close the show. On top of that, it was a great fight and tons of fun to watch. I'm hoping for a trilogy and I predict that Linares will win the best of 3.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 31 2011, 01:39 AM) *
Im not sure how many of you watched the undercards of the Hopkins/Dawson fight, but the Linares/Demarco war took place that night. Linares was the top guy, HBO commentators were blowing him, and so forth...since he sparred 30 rounds with Pacquiao. Demarco on the other hand, had nothing to lose, and received almost no accolades from announcers.

The fight pretty much went down like Cotto/Margarito I...Linares was landing the faster and cleaner punches, and exhibiting great body movement. DeMaro was taking all of the punches, but never stopped coming forward and landing some of his own slow and hard shots. Midway through the fight, Linares sustained the cut on the bridge of his nose and over his right eye...changing the pace of the fight.

DeMarco began to come on stronger and land what he wanted to land, while Linares eventually went into survival mode, and got stopped in the 11th. Obviously, there was no scandal behind this victory for DeMarco, but the fight went just as Cotto/Margarito I went.

Does anybody think that its necessary to have a rematch between these two, or is it a loss that Linares should just accept and move on?

Are you kidding!?!? Hell yeah, there should be a rematch. the first was was so enetertaining that it warrants a rematch. i want to see these two again. It was very much like Cotto/margarito, which was also so entertaining that it warranted a rematch that came years too late. Get these guys back together now while they are still prime.
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 31 2011, 08:53 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

As soon as I get done laughing at your terminology in this post, I will get back to you!

Yeah sorry about that was kinda drunk lol But my point still stands.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 31 2011, 02:39 AM) *

absolutely necessary for the following reasons...1. i think roach had the wrong game plan to defeat demarco. 2. all the unnecessary traveling linares did prior to the fight diminished him imo. going to colorado springs...the to the philippines was totally wrong. 3. he was cut in sparring against pac. 4. sparring pac was useless considering his style is nothing like demarcos. 5. linares didn't get the treatment worthy of a fighter his caliber.

if i'm linares....find another trainer that can give him the time he deserves. someone that fully understands, appreciates and can add to what he knows. this was their first fight together....maybe an immediate rematch isn't necessary...but he should seek to avenge that loss. take a fight or two to become more accustomed to roach's way of doing things if he chooses to stay put.
t4toe1217
I believe a rematch is necessary, but I can only see it happening a year or two down the stretch. It would only be for the sake of the fans wanting to see it, since the first was so dramatic and entertaining! Hell, who knows, we might end up with a trilogy!? On the other hand, Linares did everything right, but DeMarco was there to win and he pulled it off!
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 1 2012, 10:41 PM) *
absolutely necessary for the following reasons...1. i think roach had the wrong game plan to defeat demarco. 2. all the unnecessary traveling linares did prior to the fight diminished him imo. going to colorado springs...the to the philippines was totally wrong. 3. he was cut in sparring against pac. 4. sparring pac was useless considering his style is nothing like demarcos. 5. linares didn't get the treatment worthy of a fighter his caliber.

if i'm linares....find another trainer that can give him the time he deserves. someone that fully understands, appreciates and can add to what he knows. this was their first fight together....maybe an immediate rematch isn't necessary...but he should seek to avenge that loss. take a fight or two to become more accustomed to roach's way of doing things if he chooses to stay put.

1. I somewhat agree. My theory is, if you know that you're not a power puncher, then concentrate on body work throughout the fight. Any shot that a guy can take to the face, is sure to no be the same story when he takes it to the body.
2. I dont even wanna start with this...you're absolutely correct about that bullshit traveling that he was doing.
3. It was more of an abrasion, but it still happened waaaay too close to his fight date. Roach threw him there to help Manny, which goes to show you that how much he gives a damn about Linares. Sparring Pacquiao that close to a fight date, is not a good example of tapering down on training.
4. +1
5. Love how you just closed your argument with this...you're right, he didn't get half the treatment that he deserved..just a good ass-kickin', a messed up face, and a pat on the back for not dying in the ring.

QUOTE (t4toe1217 @ Jan 2 2012, 12:48 PM) *
I believe a rematch is necessary, but I can only see it happening a year or two down the stretch. It would only be for the sake of the fans wanting to see it, since the first was so dramatic and entertaining! Hell, who knows, we might end up with a trilogy!? On the other hand, Linares did everything right, but DeMarco was there to win and he pulled it off!

This could definitely headline a Boxing After Dark card. I was looking for more body work from Linares, but to no avail, the shots were far and few between down the stretch of the fight. I believe that pressure from DeMarco did something to Linares, mentally, and he didn't take those punches all well either.

Both of them will have to take some relevant bouts in the future and perform well, in order to keep the fire of the rematch going. Linares is technically sound, but doesn't have much power...he'll be okay though. DeMarco is always there to be hit, but he has a chin and power to fix that. Well on second thought, of he runs into somebody soon, that has power, then we may see a different outcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.