Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams vs. James Kirkland
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Both offensive of fighters with very good stamina, but to eaches own advantage have questionable DEFENSES as well as CHIN'S. This fight alone would more or less end in knock out fashions but who do you think comes out as the winner???

MY GUESS WOULD BE PAUL WILLIAMS OVERWHELMING KIRKLAND WITH HIS SIZE & PUNCHES IN BUNCHES
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 3 2012, 09:55 PM) *
Both offensive of fighters with very good stamina, but to eaches own advantage have questionable DEFENSES as well as CHIN'S. This fight alone would more or less end in knock out fashions but who do you think comes out as the winner???

MY GUESS WOULD BE PAUL WILLIAMS OVERWHELMING KIRKLAND WITH HIS SIZE & PUNCHES IN BUNCHES

Kirkland KO's Williams in less than 4 rounds. Martinez doesn't hit as hard as Kirkland but has a better chin than him. Kirkland has brute strength.
Cshel86
I dont see P. Willy's chin withstanding Kirkland's power, but Kirkland has to get on the inside first. Hopefully P. Willy uses his jab effectively, if not, then this one will be in jeopardy at the disposal of Kirkland's punch landing.

P. Willy's excuse when the fight ends..."Know what Im sayin', he keep throwin' them hard shots and keep landin', they keep landin'. Hats off to my man, know what Im sayin', thats the way the cookie crumble. He just caught me with a shot I didn't see, and you know what Im sayin, know what Im sayin', thats the end of the story".
Gambit808
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 3 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Kirkland KO's Williams in less than 4 rounds. Martinez doesn't hit as hard as Kirkland but has a better chin than him. Kirkland has brute strength.

you may be right but u have to note that Kirklands been knocked out by an even softer puncher in Ishida
Thegreatequalizer
there's a serious experience gap between them and i think it would show. kirkland may hit harder than martinez, but part of the williams ko was a result of martinez's style and counterpunching ability. kirkland doesn't have that. angulo was tailor made for him, williams is not. unless williams is broken from that ko, he always showed a decent chin, he just leaves holes open for counterpunches. kirkland has a punchers chance, but i don't think he has enough dimensions to beat someone with williams' skill.
Cheesey1
Since Ishida's name has been brought up in this scenario, it's pretty cool that Williams is fighting Ishida next.
checkleft
^^ just thinking the same thing.. If Williams looks beatable but gets through ishida this fight could be a possible.

To me I can't see kirkland beating someone with semi straight punches. The guys a sucker for the 1-2, if angulo had more patience he would have knocked him out. Right hands down the pipe, kirklands out. Williams by ko if he figures this out
King Eugene
Unfortunately Kirkland would put Williams away within 7. Despite Paul's advantages he refuses to use him and always resorts to brawling which is right up Kirkland's alley.
thefloatingmonkey
Kirkland is getting a little too much credit. He's got a chin of glass and Williams throws a lot of punches, has the reach advantage, more experience, and is an all around better fighter. Kirkland would get KO'd.
King Eugene
When was the last time anyone seen Williams use his reach advantage? He's 6'2" but crouches over and fights like he's 5'10"
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 4 2012, 04:31 PM) *
^^ just thinking the same thing.. If Williams looks beatable but gets through ishida this fight could be a possible.

To me I can't see kirkland beating someone with semi straight punches. The guys a sucker for the 1-2, if angulo had more patience he would have knocked him out. Right hands down the pipe, kirklands out. Williams by ko if he figures this out

+1

Hopefully P. Willy doesn't struggle with Ishida...thats not supposed to happen. We're supposed to see the old Paul Williams in this Ishida fight. You're right, had Angulo not gotten excited and blew his load, that fight loss would've put James in a compromising position.

If Williams uses his height and reach advantage, then he's in good standing, but if he does that ugly leaning stance and tries to bang, then one punch could put him in trouble (depends on how much he chin can take at this point). If Kirkland gets past Molina (which is a BIG if), then we can talk about a Williams fight.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jan 3 2012, 11:43 PM) *
there's a serious experience gap between them and i think it would show. kirkland may hit harder than martinez, but part of the williams ko was a result of martinez's style and counterpunching ability. kirkland doesn't have that. angulo was tailor made for him, williams is not. unless williams is broken from that ko, he always showed a decent chin, he just leaves holes open for counterpunches. kirkland has a punchers chance, but i don't think he has enough dimensions to beat someone with williams' skill.

u may be right but i don't think you have to go back as far as the martinez fight to see the flaws in which P. Williams has shown as of late. When it comes to being hit with a right hand, Williams invites it even more than before and his last fight against Erislandy Lara is the example, and in my opinion i feel as though Kirkland hits harder than Lara and if that were Kirkland hitting him like Lara was it would be a diffrent conclusion. Thats what i mean when i said both lack defense so i think what it would come down to is who has the better jab, better counter or who can back who up because both fighter can't really fight backing up.

I still feel your choice on the victorious is correct because kirkland is still suspect to me, but it's a tough decision to make based off the 2's last fights.
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jan 5 2012, 03:05 AM) *
When was the last time anyone seen Williams use his reach advantage? He's 6'2" but crouches over and fights like he's 5'10"

Exactly. Williams has the physique to dominate this fight, but his use of it will make it closer than it should be.
sduck
I think the fighter who has the more questionable chin is Kirkland. But we all know Williams is a stupid fighter, so it gives Kirkland the more benefit. I'll give this to Kirkland by decision if his chin holds up. I would expect knockdowns too, it would be a pretty entertaining fight for the crowd.
Cshel86
QUOTE (sduck @ Jan 5 2012, 11:04 AM) *
But we all know Williams is a stupid fighter

Sigh...sad, but true. Thats why Im wondering if he'll utilize his jab the way he did at WW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.