Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life of an Opponent - Great Artile
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
"Life of an Opponent" was a very good article. Refreshing piece, that I think is definitely worth a read. Nice one Mr. Kassell and all the best to Mr. Sparkman.

After giving it a bit more thought, the obvious conclusion from this, as said by many others, is that boxing needs a boxers association to handle things like health care and pensions.

The title should obviously say " ...- Great Article"
daprofessor
is there a link? or can u post the article?
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 6 2012, 03:44 PM) *
is there a link? or can u post the article?

It's on FightHype, the full title is Sammy Sparkman: The Life of An Opponent. Just scroll down and you'll see it, written by David Kassell. It's a short piece, but IMO, v. effective.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 6 2012, 03:04 PM) *
"Life of an Opponent" was a very good article. Refreshing piece, that I think is definitely worth a read. Nice one Mr. Kassell and all the best to Mr. Sparkman.

After giving it a bit more thought, the obvious conclusion from this, as said by many others, is that boxing needs a boxers association to handle things like health care and pensions.

The title should obviously say " ...- Great Article"

boxing is just like anything else in life....the more u put into it...the more u get out of it. i remember when i was a kid and my pops would tell me all the time...

"u have to do ur homework! i'm not in school, but i still do homework! it's how we get ahead!"

and i didn't totally understand that until i was a bit older. same holds true for boxing. u can't walk into this and expect to come out on top just because u showed up. the more u can think ahead, and plan out every step....the more u understand what it is u are gettin into and know what to expect, the better u can prepare....the better u can expect ur outcome to be. it's scientific...but it's not rocket science. i can't feel sorry for the dude because he took a half assed approach to his career. if he wanted to make more money, he should have put forth more effort. it's that simple. if one would spend some time and get to know these guys that are at the top of the sport...they would realize that they aren't there by chance. it took a lot of serious thought, planning and preparation to get where they are. floyd is an intelligent dude. so is pacquaio. add their willingness to work harder than anyone else to what they do and u'll understand that they really did their homework. they really put in the work.

there are plenty of fighters who came from shitty small towns who realized they weren't going to get what they needed from where they were so they relocated. in this day and age...i don't know that it's necessary to do that, especially with the internet available to everyone. this guy could have been better. he chose not to.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 6 2012, 09:12 PM) *
boxing is just like anything else in life....the more u put into it...the more u get out of it. i remember when i was a kid and my pops would tell me all the time...

"u have to do ur homework! i'm not in school, but i still do homework! it's how we get ahead!"

and i didn't totally understand that until i was a bit older. same holds true for boxing. u can't walk into this and expect to come out on top just because u showed up. the more u can think ahead, and plan out every step....the more u understand what it is u are gettin into and know what to expect, the better u can prepare....the better u can expect ur outcome to be. it's scientific...but it's not rocket science. i can't feel sorry for the dude because he took a half assed approach to his career. if he wanted to make more money, he should have put forth more effort. it's that simple. if one would spend some time and get to know these guys that are at the top of the sport...they would realize that they aren't there by chance. it took a lot of serious thought, planning and preparation to get where they are. floyd is an intelligent dude. so is pacquaio. add their willingness to work harder than anyone else to what they do and u'll understand that they really did their homework. they really put in the work.

there are plenty of fighters who came from shitty small towns who realized they weren't going to get what they needed from where they were so they relocated. in this day and age...i don't know that it's necessary to do that, especially with the internet available to everyone. this guy could have been better. he chose not to.
Yeah he could have been better and yes he made too many bad decisions, but there is a responsibility on those that make money from these guys. Boxers put their health on the line, they are professional athletes and should have a professional association which will guarantee some level of retirement security.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 6 2012, 11:00 PM) *
Yeah he could have been better and yes he made too many bad decisions, but there is a responsibility on those that make money from these guys. Boxers put their health on the line, they are professional athletes and should have a professional association which will guarantee some level of retirement security.

i concur.
Snoop
Good read. A reminder of how important it is to have a good team backing you up.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Snoop @ Jan 7 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Good read. A reminder of how important it is to have a good team backing you up.

Yup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.