Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquaio vs Cotto 2? (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
logicalThinker
I seen a couple articles about it but didnt know if it was a serious possibility considering the weight difference and that he looks like hes gotten better since pacman, also peterson vs pac has been thrown around if that does happen does that taint khan and pacs relationship where does he gonfrom here?
BoxingStill#1
If it happends any where south of 150lbs Cotto doesn't stand the small chance he has..lol
mgrover
same result
Cshel86
Personally, I dont wanna see Cotto in there with anymore fast fighters...whether they're fast and accurate fighters (FMJ), or fast and wreckless fighters (MP) laugh.gif Im sure a Cotto/Mayweather fight is around the corner, but hey, its about money, and Im sure thats what these guys do it for.

If it were to take place at 150, like Box just said, then Pac would come in at 147 (which he is comfortable making), and Cotto will come in at 150 (which we will have to observe his performance during the fight). The thing about the catchweight king is, his team always demands and rides the ass of his opponents to make the stipulated weight, but Pac always comes in "comfortably" under the weight.
logicalThinker
Same thoughts i had about the results so my question is why cotto is being mentioned as a hall of famer if he never shows up in the big fights?
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (logicalThinker @ Jan 7 2012, 02:10 PM) *
Same thoughts i had about the results so my question is why cotto is being mentioned as a hall of famer if he never shows up in the big fights?

Never shows up in a big fight??

Big fight as in his first fight with a semi big name (at the time) Margs..the fight he likely cheated in??

ORR.. were you refering to when he was out gunned by one of the best fighters in our era?

Other than that I need help on where he didn't show up??

Was it when knocked out Judah?
was it when he out boxed Mosely?
was it when he knocked out pretty much every other opponent before and between those fight?

I just need help here....I though Cotto was present for ALL of his fights??
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (logicalThinker @ Jan 7 2012, 02:10 PM) *

Big fight as in his first fight with a semi big name (at the time) Margs..the fight he likely cheated in??

ORR.. were you refering to when he was out gunned by one of the best fighters in our era?

was it when he knocked out pretty much every other opponent before and between those fight?

BoxingStill#1
NOT TO mENTION

His most recent dominant KO's over two of the toughest in the division..
logicalThinker
Zabs been on a down fall, mosley has been hit and miss for years now, clottey? Margarito 1-1 against
Bropho
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 7 2012, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 7 2012, 03:20 PM) *

can you say it again, i never heard it the second time you wrote the exact same thing
logicalThinker
Not to mention cotto vs judah not a big fight cotto vs clottey not a big fight
Bropho
QUOTE (logicalThinker @ Jan 7 2012, 01:23 PM) *
I seen a couple articles about it but didnt know if it was a serious possibility considering the weight difference and that he looks like hes gotten better since pacman, also peterson vs pac has been thrown around if that does happen does that taint khan and pacs relationship where does he gonfrom here?

what is Cotto better at now than before he fought Pacman? I can't see it...
Bropho
QUOTE (logicalThinker @ Jan 7 2012, 01:23 PM) *

it's one thing to go against the grain, it's a whole different story when it's just shit that is dribbling out your mouth
logicalThinker
Let me reword that then he fought opponents that made him look better my apologies
thehype
NOT happening!
pimpfighterROQ
Personally it'll be the same result, probably a round sooner than last time. No point with this bout. In my opinion, the Cotto that showed up the first fight against Pac was the same Cotto even before Margarito loss. You can say the catchweight and all that but I didn't see it as an issue the night of the fight. Unlike the dela hoya fight.

Cotto might box a bit better this time since the blueprint to frustrate Pacquiao is once again shown by Marquez. But I really think only Marquez can execute that gameplan perfectly because he has Pacs number. Anyways, Cotto has very low punch resistance. He'll cower down again in the late rounds due to Pac's power punches.

If Pac ain't fighting Mayweather again, he might as well just fight Bradley. No Marquez again or Peterson.

Mayweather vs Cotto on the other hand...much better than Canelo or Guerero (LOL)

logicalThinker
Would mayweather catchweight to fight cotto or would he make him 147
DubC
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 7 2012, 03:36 PM) *
NOT happening!

Could that be a hint of what is to come? cool.gif
Hotsauce
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 7 2012, 07:28 PM) *
Could that be a hint of what is to come? cool.gif

something like that
checkleft
No way. Arum won't make it he wants cotto for chavez

On the other hand if cotto pulls a fast one on bobby and fights mayweather no doubt he can make 147, he looks bloated at 154.

That could be the main reason cotto is not contracted by top rank, because he wants a mayweather fight and could make more money doing it on his own rather than top rank.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 8 2012, 12:47 PM) *

On the other hand if cotto pulls a fast one on bobby and fights mayweather no doubt he can make 147, he looks bloated at 154.

That could be the main reason cotto is not contracted by top rank, because he wants a mayweather fight and could make more money doing it on his own rather than top rank.

Chavez is waaaay too big for Cotto, waaaay too big. Cotto possibly rehydrates to 160 lbs, and I dont see him being effective at 160. Chavez on the other hand, rehydrates to 180 lbs for a fight...this is suicide for Cotto, and it makes no sense.

Cotto's contract with TR is up, so its his choice in which route he takes from this point. You're right, a Mayweather fight will make him more money and Im sure he wouldn't have to fork over as much. No way in the world this fight happens under TR...
bnoles4life
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 8 2012, 01:47 PM) *

If Cotto fights Floyd and gets handled, NO WAY the PBF/Pac fight gets made
daprofessor
with a real trainer in his corner this time...cotto beats pacquiao. if bob is going to force feed us another in-house fight...cotto is my first pick. bradley is my second pick. i think they both beat pac....and send the 'mega-fight' down the drain. jmm already beat pac 2 outta 3. no need for a 4th fight.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 8 2012, 01:42 PM) *
Chavez is waaaay too big for Cotto, waaaay too big. Cotto possibly rehydrates to 160 lbs, and I dont see him being effective at 160. Chavez on the other hand, rehydrates to 180 lbs for a fight...this is suicide for Cotto, and it makes no sense.

Cotto's contract with TR is up, so its his choice in which route he takes from this point. You're right, a Mayweather fight will make him more money and Im sure he wouldn't have to fork over as much. No way in the world this fight happens under TR...

I never argued that, I said arum would not make a pac fight woth cotto. Arum wants cotto chavez and the size advantage is just icing on the cake for him, cmon its bob arum. It would look good on chavez resume and it just gives him more exposure. I agree it would be a stupid fight for cotto. Mayweather makes a lot more sense especially since he won't get a pac fight. And mayweather brings more money anyway
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 8 2012, 01:42 PM) *

i'd love to see cotto part ways with arum and make the floyd fight. that to me is a win-win for him.
checkleft
^^ I couldn't agree more. I've liked cotto for a very long time, he has his fans he should have left arum a long time ago.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 8 2012, 10:14 PM) *
with a real trainer in his corner this time...cotto beats pacquiao. if bob is going to force feed us another in-house fight...cotto is my first pick. bradley is my second pick. i think they both beat pac....and send the 'mega-fight' down the drain. jmm already beat pac 2 outta 3. no need for a 4th fight.

Not to sure about Cotto.... But I see Bradly matching Pac..

Id love too see how Pac would fare from a brutal BODY attack from both...
Franchize
Nothing in either fighters last few fights has shown me that there will be any different result from the 1st match. Cotto can box but he's still somewhat punch drunk from the Margacheato massacre. He beat Antonio by staying on his bicycle but Manny is too quick on his feat to let Cotto do that for 12 rounds. I thought Cotto outboxed Manny for the 1st few rounds the 1st time, but he doesn't have the defense and/or chin to sustain it.
daprofessor
just heard from a filipino associate that jmm is next. any truth to that? i hope not.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 9 2012, 09:01 AM) *
Nothing in either fighters last few fights has shown me that there will be any different result from the 1st match. Cotto can box but he's still somewhat punch drunk from the Margacheato massacre. He beat Antonio by staying on his bicycle but Manny is too quick on his feat to let Cotto do that for 12 rounds. I thought Cotto outboxed Manny for the 1st few rounds the 1st time, but he doesn't have the defense and/or chin to sustain it.

when cotto started boxing pac, pac just followed him around and didn't do much. if cotto boxes pac, he beats him easily. if he sits and trades...that's a different story.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2012, 02:23 PM) *
when cotto started boxing pac, pac just followed him around and didn't do much. if cotto boxes pac, he beats him easily. if he sits and trades...that's a different story.

I agree. The problem is, Cotto hasn't shown me that he can sustain that for 12 rounds. Even in the 2nd fight with Magarito, toward the end, he started slowing down and getting hit. Fortunately for him, Magarito took too long to try and mount his offense. I think Cotto is a brilliant boxer. However, whether it's conditioning, lack of discipline and focus or pride or whatever, he won't box for 12 rounds. He looked decent even in some of the late rounds against Pacquiao when he was on his bike. I don't know what it is that makes him divert from the game plan but when he does, good opposition has made him pay for it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 9 2012, 02:45 PM) *
I agree. The problem is, Cotto hasn't shown me that he can sustain that for 12 rounds. Even in the 2nd fight with Magarito, toward the end, he started slowing down and getting hit. Fortunately for him, Magarito took too long to try and mount his offense. I think Cotto is a brilliant boxer. However, whether it's conditioning, lack of discipline and focus or pride or whatever, he won't box for 12 rounds. He looked decent even in some of the late rounds against Pacquiao when he was on his bike. I don't know what it is that makes him divert from the game plan but when he does, good opposition has made him pay for it.

pac is not a pressure fighter and does not take the same shots margarito is capable of taking. i can see pac diminishing over the rounds of chasing cotto to make the last stretch a possible shootout. the guy with the most left wins it.
daprofessor
in nyc on the weekend of the P.R. day parade...either at msg or yankee stadium. it'll be huge. pac will lose.
daprofessor
it's the biggest money fight out there for pac...and the matchmakers/odds makers will believe that cotto is an easy win for pac. arums' thinking will be..."u beat cotto convincingly and ur back in the drivers' seat." what they'll fail to realize is that he has a real trainer this time so pacs chances will diminish severely. they need to play the drain game to tilt the odds in pacs favor.
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2012, 01:46 PM) *
in nyc on the weekend of the P.R. day parade...either at msg or yankee stadium. it'll be huge. pac will lose.

No way in hell is Manny Pacquiao going to NYC to fight anybody. Nevermind the fact that NY gives Cotto an advantage but NYs taxes are off the hook. Does anybody remember when different venues were in the mix biding for the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight in 2009? NY was in and out of the mix quick, fast, and in a hurry. If this fight was gonna be anywhere on the east coast it would be Florida. No state taxes in Florida, just like Nevada and Texas.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jan 9 2012, 04:58 PM) *
No way in hell is Manny Pacquiao going to NYC to fight anybody. Nevermind the fact that NY gives Cotto an advantage but NYs taxes are off the hook. Does anybody remember when different venues were in the mix biding for the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight in 2009? NY was in and out of the mix quick, fast, and in a hurry. If this fight was gonna be anywhere on the east coast it would be Florida. No state taxes in Florida, just like Nevada and Texas.

that's right! pac likes to duck out on paying taxes!!! i forgot about that. it's part of the reason why he doesn't do full camps here anymore. u might be right...

maybe we can change the title of this thread to 'wishful thinking?' laugh.gif
thefloatingmonkey
This would be horrible if this happened again and a complete joke. Pacman destroyed Cotto the first time around, there is no reason for a rematch.
BoxingEinstein

You fools, Pacquiao will fight Marquez again and Floyd will fight Canelo, end of discussion. #boxing
daprofessor
QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Jan 9 2012, 06:14 PM) *
This would be horrible if this happened again and a complete joke. Pacman destroyed Cotto the first time around, there is no reason for a rematch.

destroyed is a stretch. cotto has a real trainer now...that will be the difference.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 9 2012, 06:25 PM) *
You fools, Pacquiao will fight Marquez again and Floyd will fight Canelo, end of discussion. #boxing

if that does happen...i will pray to the boxing gods that they both lose.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2012, 06:48 PM) *
if that does happen...i will pray to the boxing gods that they both lose.

Pray 24 hours everyday up till fight night and the outcome will still be the same, Floyd will school Canelo and Marquez for the 2nd time will school Pacquiao.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 9 2012, 07:37 PM) *
Pray 24 hours everyday up till fight night and the outcome will still be the same, Floyd will school Canelo and Marquez for the 2nd time will school Pacquiao.

u mean marquez will school pac for the 3rd time.

canelo could get lucky. he's a heavy handed dude...but i agree, floyd schools him. he's not ready for the big time just yet. i do not want that fight.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2012, 06:47 PM) *
destroyed is a stretch. cotto has a real trainer now...that will be the difference.

The stretch is thinking that Cotto's trainer will make that much of a difference. I'm no Pacquiao fan, but Cotto would be in for a long night. If he doesn't stay on his bicycle all night,it's going to be curtains for him. I'd be rooting for him though.
Cshel86
Cotto needs to leave this one alone. He can try to box Pacman all night, but if this is the Cotto that I think I know, he will try to bang with him somewhere along the line.

You can box guys like Pac and Margarito all day, but at some point of the nite, you will HAVE to sit down and exchange with them, unless you're going balls to wall to execute a perfect game plan. That perfect game plan would be to box, but there aren't many pure boxers out there, so they eventually go back to banging.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 10 2012, 07:22 PM) *
Cotto needs to leave this one alone. He can try to box Pacman all night, but if this is the Cotto that I think I know, he will try to bang with him somewhere along the line.

You can box guys like Pac and Margarito all day, but at some point of the nite, you will HAVE to sit down and exchange with them, unless you're going balls to wall to execute a perfect game plan. That perfect game plan would be to box, but there aren't many pure boxers out there, so they eventually go back to banging.

+1!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.