Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's Play Devil's Advocate
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MaxPayne
Basically I want to know the following:

What's stopping Mayweather from calling Pacquiao and Arum's bluff and agreeing to fight at the end of May, so that the stadium can be built, now that the other side has shown its cards ?
Franchize
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 12 2012, 08:25 AM) *

What's stopping Mayweather from calling Pacquiao and Arum's bluff and agreeing to fight at the end of May, so that the stadium can be built, now that the other side has shown its cards ?

The thing that is confusing me is this. You want to build a temporary stadium to increase revenue, but won't the stadium cost money to build? Why not use UNLV's football stadium or as Dan Rafael suggested, that racetrack the have there in Vegas? Besides, Arum said the end of May but he also said Manny most likely will fight June 9th. I'm sure Floyd will want to spend his last days with his biological children, not schooling the lil boy in the ring.
leonthegee
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 12 2012, 05:25 AM) *

His deal with the MGM. If Floyd agrees to fight at the end of May the fight will be held across the street from the Wynn. That will damage his relationship with the MGM because they will be left holding their dicks. And the MGM has done right by Floyd all these years. I know its just business but Floyd always talks about loyalty, whether its with his team or business partners etc. He gave the MGM his word and that has to account for something. And its not like Floyds pulling the May 5th day out of his ass. Weve know about this date for months (two weeks before Pacquiaos last fight even).

Also, why is this all of a sudden a problem now? Nobody was talking about building a stadium when Micheal Konz was going around taking pictures with Floyd at his gym. We all know this is just posturing by Top Rank.
HazConvictedFelonMane
How about we don't play devil's advocate and we call it like it is. They are ducking Floyd. Playing devil's advocate could mean you are drinking Top Rank's Kool Aid. For starters, Bob Arum has already done away with this new stadium idea and is fine with the MGM, but 2 or 3 weeks later? Let's just keep it 100 funky dotcom. It's documented and undisputable. When Floyd was hours from being an inmate at CCDC, Bob Arum said Pac-Marquez 4 would take place on May 5th at the MGM. Floyd gets his sentence postponed and it's back to June for Pac's next fight. I would usually get very upset over things like this but I'm happy that this fat old fuck has tripped over his own tongue in a major way. Let's not forget that right before Pac-Marquez 3, Bob Arum was saying that Floyd would get knocked out in 4 rounds by the Pacman. It feels good to know this guy has exposed himself as a big bag of hot air. The truth will always come to light. No matter how long it takes.
Allmenjoi8
MGM has money, I am sure they can expand on their arena. As as fighting outside in early May, I am thinking of the temperature. If Manny has cramps in an inside venue wouldn't fighting outside only increase the chances of Manny getting more cramps? Plus When was the last time both these men fought outside? I am sure that may have a direct effect on their training. Plus getting a permit finding a company to build a stadium within a short period, what happens if the building is faulty then what? It does not make any sense. I am sure the MGM can build something.
Franchize
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 12 2012, 02:31 PM) *
MGM has money, I am sure they can expand on their arena. As as fighting outside in early May, I am thinking of the temperature. If Manny has cramps in an inside venue wouldn't fighting outside only increase the chances of Manny getting more cramps? Plus When was the last time both these men fought outside? I am sure that may have a direct effect on their training. Plus getting a permit finding a company to build a stadium within a short period, what happens if the building is faulty then what? It does not make any sense. I am sure the MGM can build something.

The thing that gets me is, you bitch and moan about MGM not being big enough given the magnitude of the event but your OK weather affecting the biggest fight in the last decade? That should be the last thing you want considering your fighter just had a controversial fight in which a boatload of excuses were made.
Seek
Bob Arum has agreed to have the fight at the MGM. He let go the stadium idea. An article at the scene confirmed this. The issue is now the date. Bob has stated if Mayweather can secure his guarenteed purse, he will guarentee Pacquiaos purse, everything 50/50 and they'll fight at the end of May. Im assuming they are going with the cut excuse for why they wont do May 5th because if the venue is no longer the issue, why the hell would you not do May 5th. Its all good tho, Floyd aint dumb, hes fightin May 5th and thats that.
MaxPayne
What a strange thing to say...that Floyd getting a guaranteed purse is a consideration for Arum ? Floyd's financial model is such that he can take on the risk of going in without an agreement with anyone for guaranteed money and simply make his money off the back end when all the PPV and event revenue is calculated.

If they've agreed to fight at the MGM Grand, then why do they have to shift the date to late in May ?

I still believe that Floyd should call their bluff by stating that he'll fight at the end of month in May, at the MGM Grand and that he'll take upfront risk instead of guaranteed money. There should not be any co-promotional revenue sharing. Each side simply takes their original share and walks away.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 12 2012, 03:51 PM) *
The thing that gets me is, you bitch and moan about MGM not being big enough given the magnitude of the event but your OK weather affecting the biggest fight in the last decade? That should be the last thing you want considering your fighter just had a controversial fight in which a boatload of excuses were made.

I am not bitching and moaning about anything. The thing I was saying is that Floyd can fight at the MGM and still make the May 5th date. Arum wants a bigger arena no? So I am saying MGM has resources to expand the arena. The thing with fighting outside is, if Manny was cramping inside of an arena imagine what will happen if they fought outside. If Arum wants a bigger arena I am sure MGM has the resources to make it happen.
daprofessor
floyd has a commitment to mgm grand. they put up money for him to fight there. he got his jail sentence suspended because his commitment to mgm grand. there's no way around that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 12 2012, 03:43 PM) *
I am not bitching and moaning about anything.

I believe he was referring to Arum, not you. You have to read between the lines. Gotta thank that good ol' degree from that "University", huh? rolleyes_anim.gif

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 12 2012, 04:57 PM) *
floyd has a commitment to mgm grand. they put up money for him to fight there. he got his jail sentence suspended because his commitment to mgm grand. there's no way around that.

Thank you!
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 12 2012, 09:37 PM) *
I believe he was referring to Arum, not you. You have to read between the lines. Gotta thank that good ol' degree from that "University", huh? rolleyes_anim.gif

Thank you!

There you go again. thumbsdown_anim.gif
Allmenjoi8
If Pacquiao is willing to take a lesser purse then why are they aiming for a for more gate money? Either way according to Pac he is going to take a lesser cut so the extra money they get from this 40K seat stadium is going to Mayweather. Their premises for their argument does not match their conclusion. I heard Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless debating this and Skip Bayless said that Mayweather is still a punk because he is still blaffing. What will it take?
BoxingStill#1
I didnt want to start another thread because Im sure it woulda been added anyway BUT..

WHY AM I READING CONFLICTING REPORTS????

ONE ARTICLE READ PAC ACCEPTED OFFER,.. ONE SAYS ITS NOT HAPPENING OFFICIALLY???

NEED HELP,..LINKS ECT...

iKeNjiro
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 13 2012, 01:35 PM) *
If Pacquiao is willing to take a lesser purse then why are they aiming for a for more gate money? Either way according to Pac he is going to take a lesser cut so the extra money they get from this 40K seat stadium is going to Mayweather. Their premises for their argument does not match their conclusion. I heard Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless debating this and Skip Bayless said that Mayweather is still a punk because he is still blaffing. What will it take?

Skip? lol who cares what that clown says
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 12 2012, 08:37 PM) *

Thank you!

Yea I definitely was. Thanx. My bad...I thought it was obvious who I was talking about.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 13 2012, 09:36 AM) *
Yea I definitely was. Thanx. My bad...I thought it was obvious who I was talking about.

I misread what you said, it was not clear at first glance. Well I do agree with your original point. If he has a bad fight against whoever his next foe is, then it is curtains. They better line Manny up with Margarito or Zudah. They will say Zudah is a slick fighter so it works.
Slumpage
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 13 2012, 04:47 AM) *
I didnt want to start another thread because Im sure it woulda been added anyway BUT..

WHY AM I READING CONFLICTING REPORTS????

ONE ARTICLE READ PAC ACCEPTED OFFER,.. ONE SAYS ITS NOT HAPPENING OFFICIALLY???

NEED HELP,..LINKS ECT...

Well according to Manny's "official" website, he's willing to fight on MAY 5TH!

He doesn't mention the venue, and goes on about Floyd needing someone to guarantee his purse?! Like I think he really doesn't understand that; that could simply consist of Floyd saying "Since I'll be co-promoting this event, I guarantee to pay myself no less than the $50 mill that Manny is being guaranteed by Bob".?!

Anyway, he's apparently come out in favour of a May 5th date, so regardless of what Arum's been saying, I say fight on!

http://www.mp8.ph/news/official-statement-...may-5th-3/13062
MaxPayne
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Jan 13 2012, 02:43 PM) *
Well according to Manny's "official" website, he's willing to fight on MAY 5TH!

He doesn't mention the venue, and goes on about Floyd needing someone to guarantee his purse?! Like I think he really doesn't understand that; that could simply consist of Floyd saying "Since I'll be co-promoting this event, I guarantee to pay myself no less than the $50 mill that Manny is being guaranteed by Bob".?!

Anyway, he's apparently come out in favour of a May 5th date, so regardless of what Arum's been saying, I say fight on!

http://www.mp8.ph/news/official-statement-...may-5th-3/13062

It all still rests with Arum though. If they want to make the fight happen, they'll now reach out to Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe. It's all bullshit because Todd Duboef has a direct line to these guys and he still won't call them.

Either something is going down behind the scenes or it's still all bullshit.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Jan 13 2012, 05:34 AM) *
Skip? lol who cares what that clown says

He actually has a big following. Which is weird because he is a fan of certain athletes. He thinks Pacquiao is pound for pound the best ever. But yet he has been around boxing for years. Sad really
mgrover
so has arum gone to Philippines yet?
Franchize
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 13 2012, 04:22 PM) *
so has arum gone to Philippines yet?

That man aint going to no damn Phillipines. He's goin to East NY to get a BJ from some latina, then he's gonna call Manny on his cell phone and tell him "look motherfucker, you're fighting Marquez. I'll email you a list of excuses when I get back to my house."
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 13 2012, 05:27 PM) *
That man aint going to no damn Phillipines. He's goin to East NY to get a BJ from some latina, then he's gonna call Manny on his cell phone and tell him "look motherfucker, you're fighting Marquez. I'll email you a list of excuses when I get back to my house."

lol
Allmenjoi8
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/74587...ayweather-fight

Great article!!! Freddie you have been taken off my shit list.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 13 2012, 04:27 PM) *

laugh.gif

Thats about the most logical thing that he's capable of doing to contribute to these negotiations. Oops, did I say "contribute"? My bad...
Cshel86
QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Jan 12 2012, 10:17 AM) *
When Floyd was hours from being an inmate at CCDC, Bob Arum said Pac-Marquez 4 would take place on May 5th at the MGM. Floyd gets his sentence postponed and it's back to June for Pac's next fight.

Aint it funny??? Arum pulls all kind of stuff out of his ass when the heat's on...especially that wild ass stadium bullshit. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.