Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sergio Martinez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
logicalThinker
I know Sergio is fighting Macklin but will Sergio have to move up in order to get the big name fights hes been trying to get i mean i dont see Floyd or Manny fighting him so moving up for those names seems like the best business move. Comments?
Cshel86
Sergio is in a hard place right now. The MW division has some decent talent...not much big money talent, but there are some game fighters who are big punchers, but again...not many money fights in his division. Of course the obvious money fight at MW is JCC Jr., but we all know the story with that. Then the challenging fights are guys like Andy Lee and Dmitry Pirog (if his management can get it together for once).

As far as getting names on his resume, he can aim for a fight with an old Strum or an old damaged Jermain Taylor. He could talk Lara or Kirkland to move up and fight him...again, not much money there. A big fight for him would be a Canelo fight, if he could get him to move up (not sure how GBP feels about that one). The big kicker is, Sergio doesn't have all that much time left to sift through fighters, he's looking for big money fights.

As far as Sergio moving up, I believe his big money fight would be against Lucian Bute. Being the fact that Sergio's not a big MW (rehydrates to about 165), Im not sure how effective he will be at super MW (not that he may not want to move up for money). Im not sure how much money a Ward, Froch, or Abraham fight would bring him...though he may strike some gold taking an Abraham fight.
checkleft
Yea and Abraham fight overseas is his best bet. Abraham already sold out his upcoming fight so he has a goos following
Franchize
I think his stab at Arum and JCC Jr would go a long way if the proper media outlets spread it. So far, Rafael and the usual cast of characters casual fans get their news from haven't said much about it.

I think there are plenty of quality fights to be made in the middleweight division. I said last year that it would be a sleeper division this year for Fight of the Year bouts. Unfortunately, the most marketable fighter is not only slave owned by Arum but he's not even the best. I foresee JCC Jr fighting bums and stealing the exposure from the REAL quality potential bouts.
mrwigi
Yea, there area some quality fights to be made at MW, but i dont think they wuld net him that much income. Since we all know President BOB aint going put JCC anywhere near Serg.
Franchize
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Jan 13 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Yea, there area some quality fights to be made at MW, but i dont think they wuld net him that much income. Since we all know President BOB aint going put JCC anywhere near Serg.

I always hear Sergio vs JCC Jr and Canelo vs JCC Jr but it seems very few people care to see Canelo vs Sergio. I think that is the better fight. I think Canelo has a way better chance against Sergio than JCC Jr.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 13 2012, 02:26 PM) *
I always hear Sergio vs JCC Jr and Canelo vs JCC Jr but it seems very few people care to see Canelo vs Sergio. I think that is the better fight. I think Canelo has a way better chance against Sergio than JCC Jr.

A Sergio/Canleo fight would be great fro Sergio at this point of his career...not all that sure how he will perform at 54 again, but its worth a shot. Honestly, I believe Chavez is too big for both Sergio and Canelo.
BoxingEinstein

Segio should man up and fight Pirog because Pirog's management is failing to put him back on HBO or maybe Showtime and he's not making no moves. So, just get his belt and maybe prey for the Kirkland/ Molina winner. I say he should also fight Lara because he's not going to fight JC Jr. or Canelo anytime soon.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 13 2012, 10:04 PM) *
Segio should man up and fight Pirog because Pirog's management is failing to put him back on HBO or maybe Showtime and he's not making no moves. So, just get his belt and maybe prey for the Kirkland/ Molina winner. I say he should also fight Lara because he's not going to fight JC Jr. or Canelo anytime soon.

Sergio has more than a few challenging fights out there, but he's looking for the money...which most of those fights dont bring. Pirog's management is failing to get him back in the states. There's no way HBO will air Sergio's fight over there, wherever Pirog is from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.