Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs Alvarez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
xxxxxx
Now this is THE fight that should happen, but it makes to much dam sense for the boxing world. The fight should be at 154 to Unify the belts and determine who the man is at 154. I believe it would be for the RING Title also which is the TRUE Title in my opinion.
mgrover
cotto all the way home
xxxxxx
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 15 2012, 01:45 PM) *
cotto all the way home

I got Cotto by close decison here. Alvarez is the bigger guy with good power, but as long as Cotto applys the right game plan his experience gives him the victory. It's still the best fight for both guys. Alvarez is looking for a big fight and this is it. Cotto is looking to add to his legacy and this is it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jan 15 2012, 12:12 PM) *
but it makes to much dam sense for the boxing world.

Isn't that always the case? If Cotto stays away from Bob, then we may see this one. Cotto/Alvarez in June? Sounds good...hope we dont get this Pacquiao/Cotto repeat no2.gif

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jan 15 2012, 01:15 PM) *
I got Cotto by close decison here. Alvarez is the bigger guy with good power, but as long as Cotto applys the right game plan his experience gives him the victory. It's still the best fight for both guys. Alvarez is looking for a big fight and this is it. Cotto is looking to add to his legacy and this is it.

Im curious as to know if Alvarez will give Cotto respect, or will he just go for the kill. Alvarez is fuckin' bull, and Im not sure if Cotto will be able to take his punches if it comes down to it. Now that I think about it, Hatton was taking all of Canelo's punches, so Im not sure he hits all that hard...it may have something to do with accuracy, if anything. Anyhow, I'll give it to Cotto by close decision.

If the planets are lined up right...we may see a stoppage in Cotto's favor by way of body shots (if he gives us the vintage Cotto). Do good body work, and step to the side to avoid standing there too long. Its clear that Alvarez's inside fight game doesn't exist, but his uppercut is dangerous (if timed right) if you stand there too long. Cotto will have to plant his feet to throw effective body work, but yes, he must move quickly. Alvarez also does great body work, and he does it with 3-4 shots at a time.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 15 2012, 01:30 PM) *
Isn't that always the case? If Cotto stays away from Bob, then we may see this one. Cotto/Alvarez in June? Sounds good...hope we dont get this Pacquiao/Cotto repeat no2.gif

Im curious as to know if Alvarez will give Cotto respect, or will he just go for the kill. Alvarez is fuckin' bull, and Im not sure if Cotto will be able to take his punches if it comes down to it. Now that I think about it, Hatton was taking all of Canelo's punches, so Im not sure he hits all that hard...it may have something to do with accuracy, if anything. Anyhow, I'll give it to Cotto by close decision.

If the planets are lined up right...we may see a stoppage in Cotto's favor by way of body shots (if he gives us the vintage Cotto). Do good body work, and step to the side to avoid standing there too long. Its clear that Alvarez's inside fight game doesn't exist, but his uppercut is dangerous (if timed right) if you stand there too long. Cotto will have to plant his feet to throw effective body work, but yes, he must move quickly. Alvarez also does great body work, and he does it with 3-4 shots at a time.

I agree that Cotto Needs to stay away from Bob, but that is wishful thinking at this point. We will see. There are great fights for Cotto other than what Bob has to offer including this barnburner of a fight with Alvarez. What an event this would be if the fight was made. After Cotto beat the crap out of Margarito he became even more popular then he was before. He's got at least a few more years of good fights in him and this would be a good start. I don't believe he's as washed up as some think because of his lone 2 loses. The new trainer he got seems to get it and even if he is a little worn he can adjust in the later part of his career. Alvarez is still improving so who knows what he brings next. He walked right through Cintron last time out which is somewhat impressive. I know Margarito did also, but Margarito is crazy. The undefeated record of Alvarez would also be good for the promotion, not to mention the Puerto Rico vs Mexican angle. Alvarez is a bull and I actually see both guys retreat at different points of the fight. Cotto probably more though. This fight is just to good to be true.I also almost forgot that Alvarez beat up on Miguel's brother awhile back.
BoxingStill#1
Welp... id have to disagree with some of you.... Cotto is nearly the shell if what he use to be in terms of durability... even then he has always been vonurable.. I give credit where it belongs and agree with the fact that he has much better defense and hold when he should and moves when he should.. but in reality he is one punch away from retirement.

As far as Canelo is concerned career wise this would be a crossroad fight. He wins he takes it all.. he losses, well, he losses EVERYTHING.... including the general publics attention.. imo.. he needs a couple more seasoned names before he gets someone like Cotto... not in the sense of him being able to beat him, but is this really good for building him as a star?...

This fight shouldn't happen.. Cotto deserves Pac of Mayweather fight should them idots not make it happen... Canelo should see the likes of maybe Kirkland.(oooo what a good one).. or someone on that level...

With all that being said... Id love to see it.. HAHAHAHA..

I think Cotto and Canelo match speed, power, and skill... Id give the edge for Cotto if he could stay behind his stick and deliver decent body work...

Cotto by late stoppage..... but it could turn on a dime
Cshel86
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jan 15 2012, 01:46 PM) *
I agree that Cotto Needs to stay away from Bob, but that is wishful thinking at this point. We will see. There are great fights for Cotto other than what Bob has to offer including this barnburner of a fight with Alvarez. What an event this would be if the fight was made. After Cotto beat the crap out of Margarito he became even more popular then he was before. He's got at least a few more years of good fights in him and this would be a good start. I don't believe he's as washed up as some think because of his lone 2 loses. The new trainer he got seems to get it and even if he is a little worn he can adjust in the later part of his career. Alvarez is still improving so who knows what he brings next. He walked right through Cintron last time out which is somewhat impressive. I know Margarito did also, but Margarito is crazy. The undefeated record of Alvarez would also be good for the promotion, not to mention the Puerto Rico vs Mexican angle. Alvarez is a bull and I actually see both guys retreat at different points of the fight. Cotto probably more though. This fight is just to good to be true.I also almost forgot that Alvarez beat up on Miguel's brother awhile back.

Its open season for great fights...as long as Arum's out of the picture laugh.gif Looks like Cotto is going to be another Pacquiao puppet for Pimp Arum, being the fact that the Pac/Cotto rematch is in the air. It aint all that hard to walk through the present Cintron, but Alvarez did show signs of improvement. As far as Cotto's brother, if I remember correctly, he almost sent Alvarez to the moon in the opening round. So, Canelo may want to show Miguel a bit of respect.

Cotto uses his legs a lot more nowadays, but sometimes, he overdoes it. With that said, I dont see him getting hit with all of Canelo's punches. He just needs to be careful when getting to Canelo...that uppercut/counter uppercut is sick and it put Gomez in a bad spot. I agree that the PR/Mexico rivalry will drive the promotion of this one...as it always does.
bnoles4life
I for one, favor Canelo over Cotto. Cotto's probably the better boxer, but has a shitload of miles on him. Now, couple that w/ the fact, slow ass Margarito was still able to bruise the fuck outta his face, makes me believe, he can no longer slip many (read: ANY) punches. Canelo is a strong dude and I think he may have some success.
mgrover
i think cotto wins it because of general experience. a simple jab and move will be enough to beat a lot of fighters, canelo one of them.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 15 2012, 02:05 PM) *
As far as Canelo is concerned career wise this would be a crossroad fight. He wins he takes it all.. he losses, well, he losses EVERYTHING.... including the general publics attention.. imo.. he needs a couple more seasoned names before he gets someone like Cotto... not in the sense of him being able to beat him, but is this really good for building him as a star?...

Though I didn't quote your whole post...good shit Box! I swore I was reading a piece from one of your articles. Oops...did I just speak that into existence??? Yep!

As far as the quoted portion...Canelo is already at a crossroads in his career...every one of his fights is a crossroads fight, believe it or not. Imagine if he would've lost to Cintron or Ryan Rhodes. Seriously, this guy a nearly a huge draw, he has legit title, and that all spells, money At this point of his career, he can only fight so many more corpses.

He does need seasoned fighters on his resume, and thats something that these new fighters lack. At this point, he can take on Mosley or Cotto. He would probably have it easier with Cotto, being the fact that Cotto isn't the bull that he used to be, and he's more concerned about his health in regards to life after the ring. Mosley on the other hand, has nothing to lose at this point of his career. He's fought 1A and 1B in regards to today's top fighters, so he's going for the kill, regardless.

He's never been knocked out in a fight, and his ducks are still in a row (if we are talking about all of his faculties). So yes, Mosley may want this fight more than Cotto, so Canelo may want choose wisely. Imagine if Canelo loses to Kirkland at this stage of his career...can you say, over. He's supposed to get past all of these guys and sell major PPVs in the future, but it appears that his credentials are rushing things.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jan 15 2012, 02:09 PM) *
I for one, favor Canelo over Cotto. Cotto's probably the better boxer, but has a shitload of miles on him. Now, couple that w/ the fact, slow ass Margarito was still able to bruise the fuck outta his face, makes me believe, he can no longer slip many (read: ANY) punches. Canelo is a strong dude and I think he may have some success.

Point is, if Cotto doesn't have an astronaut helmet on during a fight, then he will always get bruised up or cut up...it never fails. I dont remember too many Cotto fights where he came out with the same face that he came into the fight with. And yes, Canelo could very well take this fight.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 15 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Its open season for great fights...as long as Arum's out of the picture laugh.gif Looks like Cotto is going to be another Pacquiao puppet for Pimp Arum, being the fact that the Pac/Cotto rematch is in the air. It aint all that hard to walk through the present Cintron, but Alvarez did show signs of improvement. As far as Cotto's brother, if I remember correctly, he almost sent Alvarez to the moon in the opening round. So, Canelo may want to show Miguel a bit of respect.

Cotto uses his legs a lot more nowadays, but sometimes, he overdoes it. With that said, I dont see him getting hit with all of Canelo's punches. He just needs to be careful when getting to Canelo...that uppercut/counter uppercut is sick and it put Gomez in a bad spot. I agree that the PR/Mexico rivalry will drive the promotion of this one...as it always does.

There are several great fights to be made right now in the sport of Boxing. This one is a obvious one. Boxing has a great product that could compete with the NFL,MLB and NBA, but for some reason the promoters can't work together and the sanctioning bodies are a joke. It's to complicated for the casual fan for the sport to reach where it was back in the day. To many dam weight classes to. Anyways, back to this fight. I do remember when Cotto buzzed Alvarez, but to give Alvarez some credit he did bounce back and dominate the rest of the fight until the ref stopped it. If Alvarez tries to pull a Margarito he could get stopped here which would be fine by me. I'm a Cotto fan. Alvarez does look a little green, but like you said that upper cut he got is vicious. His right hand is good to. Even if Alvarez lost a good one I dont think his stock is completely gone. He could always go fight a Kirkland if he lost. However Kirkland is a dangerous man, don't think I would want to fight him in a bounce back match.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 15 2012, 02:30 PM) *
Though I didn't quote your whole post...good shit Box! I swore I was reading a piece from one of your articles. Oops...did I just speak that into existence??? Yep!

As far as the quoted portion...Canelo is already at a crossroads in his career...every one of his fights is a crossroads fight, believe it or not. Imagine if he would've lost to Cintron or Ryan Rhodes. Seriously, this guy a nearly a huge draw, he has legit title, and that all spells, money At this point of his career, he can only fight so many more corpses.

He does need seasoned fighters on his resume, and thats something that these new fighters lack. At this point, he can take on Mosley or Cotto. He would probably have it easier with Cotto, being the fact that Cotto isn't the bull that he used to be, and he's more concerned about his health in regards to life after the ring. Mosley on the other hand, has nothing to lose at this point of his career. He's fought 1A and 1B in regards to today's top fighters, so he's going for the kill, regardless.

He's never been knocked out in a fight, and his ducks are still in a row (if we are talking about all of his faculties). So yes, Mosley may want this fight more than Cotto, so Canelo may want choose wisely. Imagine if Canelo loses to Kirkland at this stage of his career...can you say, over. He's supposed to get past all of these guys and sell major PPVs in the future, but it appears that his credentials are rushing things.

Point is, if Cotto doesn't have an astronaut helmet on during a fight, then he will always get bruised up or cut up...it never fails. I dont remember too many Cotto fights where he came out with the same face that he came into the fight with. And yes, Canelo could very well take this fight.

Haha... thanks man.. though you may have just inspired me, I don't think I could could cut it as a writer for Fighthype .... I've been more of a reader over the years a frankly I don't think I could keep my reserve as well as our staff does when people say ignorant shit.. lmao....OAN BTW, I love your work a few threads ago with that member who was all ass hurt and had some tasteless things to say.... I figure since you and I are in a sentimental mood and giving credit..that was some of the funniest shit I've ever read on here.. I was blown you closed the thread cuz I really wanted to chime in..lls..

Back to the topic,.. Cotto Canelo certainly is top tier stuff, just not a wise move in the way of. Canelo..

Id like to see Kirkland Canelo.. but as XXXXX pointed out, its really dangerous for him.. plus I guess it wouldn't produce the reward.. and a hell of a lot of risk..my boy kirkland has career ending power imo..

I like the fact there are many in this division we can flip and flop around for competitive fights.. I think its gonna be a good year in the division and for the fans..
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 15 2012, 09:55 PM) *
Haha... thanks man.. though you may have just inspired me, I don't think I could could cut it as a writer for Fighthype .... I've been more of a reader over the years a frankly I don't think I could keep my reserve as well as our staff does when people say ignorant shit.. lmao....OAN BTW, I love your work a few threads ago with that member who was all ass hurt and had some tasteless things to say.... I figure since you and I are in a sentimental mood and giving credit..that was some of the funniest shit I've ever read on here.. I was blown you closed the thread cuz I really wanted to chime in..lls..

Back to the topic,.. Cotto Canelo certainly is top tier stuff, just not a wise move in the way of. Canelo..

Id like to see Kirkland Canelo.. but as XXXXX pointed out, its really dangerous for him.. plus I guess it wouldn't produce the reward.. and a hell of a lot of risk..my boy kirkland has career ending power imo..

I like the fact there are many in this division we can flip and flop around for competitive fights.. I think its gonna be a good year in the division and for the fans..

laugh.gif Dont sell yourself short Box, you'd be great! As far as that fudge-packer that started that dumb thread...he is no use to the human race. I couldn't even listen to his garbage after a 6-pack and few shots Tequila. He started early, so it may have been a bit too early for you to chime in on that nonsense.

I think Cotto/Alvarez is a great match-up, and like you said...it could go either way. As far as a Cotto/Kirkland bout...Kirkland has the worse times with guys who follow the game plan and have patience. Kirkland's sucker-like love for right hands, will probably make Cotto's right hand look the best that we've ever seen. Now, if Kirkland can land on Miguel in an impressive fashion, then we could see something different.
Cheesey1
Would love it if it happpened, but que sera sera. As said already, this would definitely be a close one, but I'd give the edge to Alvarez. I've always liked Cotto, but I don't know if his basic boxing skills are that much better than Alvarez' and I do think that the mileage is taking its toll. Experience has definitely taught Cotto a lot, but basic skill wise I don't know how far apart they are and they're both warriors. Either way, great matchup.
Cshel86
Who would do better body work in this fight?
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 18 2012, 12:04 PM) *
Who would do better body work in this fight?

I'd say Alvarez. Cotto is reluctant to attack the body vs bigger guys like Canelo or Margarito it seems. I don't think Canelo is ready for Cotto, he hasn't fought anyone who will really test him. Cintron could have done that, but he's obviously completely shot.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 12:34 PM) *
I'd say Alvarez. Cotto is reluctant to attack the body vs bigger guys like Canelo or Margarito it seems. I don't think Canelo is ready for Cotto, he hasn't fought anyone who will really test him. Cintron could have done that, but he's obviously completely shot.

I agree, besides, Alvarez throws 3-4 body shots at once...that takes balls and knowing that you may get hit in the process (something that I dont believe Cotto is willing to risk nowadays).

Its always a sight to see when an untested fighter gets in there with somebody who has a pulse and the balls to put up a tactical/somewhat tactical fight. Cintron could've done much more, but I guess he left his confidence in the dressing room or on the plane.
BrutalBodyShots
I'm not sure I like this fight for either fighter at this stage of the game...

Reason is that I don't see it as an easy fight no matter how you look at it; both guys are going to take a lot of damage.

That said, Cotto as gone to the well too many times and taken too much punishment in recent years. Even if he DID win this fight, which I'd probably slightly favor him to do, it would be another example of him winning the battle but losing the war.

The same goes for Canelo. I could also see him winning the fight, but he'll take a lot more damage doing so than we've seen from him ever before. Who knows how that would play a role on the rest of his career? I just don't think it's the wisest move for him yet. Maybe after another fight or two, with Cotto getting another hair or two shopworn. Just my opinion though.

Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 18 2012, 07:41 PM) *

Reason is that I don't see it as an easy fight no matter how you look at it; both guys are going to take a lot of damage.

That said, Cotto as gone to the well too many times and taken too much punishment in recent years. Even if he DID win this fight, which I'd probably slightly favor him to do, it would be another example of him winning the battle but losing the war.

The same goes for Canelo. I could also see him winning the fight, but he'll take a lot more damage doing so than we've seen from him ever before. Who knows how that would play a role on the rest of his career? I just don't think it's the wisest move for him yet. Maybe after another fight or two, with Cotto getting another hair or two shopworn. Just my opinion though.

Great post!

I believe Cotto has the most to lose. Canelo can fight another day if the doesn't end in his favor. A loss like this for Cotto, is one step closer to retirement...if this isn't the fight that does it. Canelo will just have to be able to adjust when he gets hit, because Cotto wont come there and lay down.

Cotto should fight Floyd at the moment, since its apparent that he's a free agent with his own promotional company. If he was smart, he would GBP's services for his promotional company to promote himself and keep most of the money from what is possibly the biggest payday of his career. Win or lose, he can the same with Canelo after a Floyd fight.

So if he's going out on his shield, we know he'll put up a fight and make the majority of money in the process. Canelo (win or lose against Miguel), can move on to fight whoever...they just need to be careful that he doesn't peak out too soon, since he still has valuable years ahead of him.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 05:50 PM) *
So if he's going out on his shield, we know he'll put up a fight and make the majority of money in the process. Canelo (win or lose against Miguel), can move on to fight whoever...they just need to be careful that he doesn't peak out too soon, since he still has valuable years ahead of him.

Yup, I agree completely. We don't need to see another Vargas situation... who was about the same age and ironically in the same division when he was ruined by Trinidad, who interestingly is the same ethnicity as Cotto... lol. Not suggesting Cotto has the rocks in his fists that Trinidad did or that he would be able to do what an undefeated Trinidad could, but you get the point.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 20 2012, 01:11 PM) *
Yup, I agree completely. We don't need to see another Vargas situation... who was about the same age and ironically in the same division when he was ruined by Trinidad, who interestingly is the same ethnicity as Cotto... lol. Not suggesting Cotto has the rocks in his fists that Trinidad did or that he would be able to do what an undefeated Trinidad could, but you get the point.

laugh.gif ...spot on. I believe Alvarez will try to send Cotto to the moon, rather than show him respect.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 18 2012, 07:41 PM) *

I suppose if your a promoter or a trainer maybe you wouldn't like this fight, but as a fan I don't know why you wouldn't like this fight Right Now.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Jan 22 2012, 11:09 AM) *
I suppose if your a promoter or a trainer maybe you wouldn't like this fight, but as a fan I don't know why you wouldn't like this fight Right Now.

Even as a fan thought you need to think about the future of these guys. You have to ask yourself, as a fan, is this one great fight worth sacrificing a handful more great fights in Cotto (if he takes a brutal beating and retires for example) or a long, exciting career of Alvarez (if he gets Vargas'd). To me, I'd rather wait a year or two and see this fight then and sort of get the best of both worlds. As a fan.

xxxxxx
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 22 2012, 11:18 AM) *
Even as a fan thought you need to think about the future of these guys. You have to ask yourself, as a fan, is this one great fight worth sacrificing a handful more great fights in Cotto (if he takes a brutal beating and retires for example) or a long, exciting career of Alvarez (if he gets Vargas'd). To me, I'd rather wait a year or two and see this fight then and sort of get the best of both worlds. As a fan.

Maybe we could just let it "marinate" for a few more years.
daprofessor
canelo isn't ready for a guy like cotto. cotto beats him...possibly by stoppage. if jose was able to rock him...miguel stops him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 24 2012, 01:49 AM) *
canelo isn't ready for a guy like cotto. cotto beats him...possibly by stoppage. if jose was able to rock him...miguel stops him.

Quite possible...

I haven't seen much progress in Alvarez, versus the changes that I've seen in Chavez Jr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.