Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lopez vs Salido II: Vengeance or Validation?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Of course, after the first fight Lopez made no excuses, but we all know what was going on with him personally. Im sure that gaining crazy weight between fights (like he usually does), did him no favors in the first fight. At this point, Lopez seems very vulnerable (according to his last bout), but will he be able to pull it off against Salido this time?

As for Salido, he really has nothing to lose. He has enough loses on his record, to say the least, so Im not all that sure if he cares about losing. I mean he does have a title, but he stopped Lopez, so in my opinion, he doesn't have to do anything else right in his career laugh.gif

Thoughts?
Seek
Lopez had a terrible night. He looked like he could care less whether he won, lost or even got knocked out. Something was very wrong and I think it had all to do with him and his wife calling it quits. That's tough man. I'm going with Lopez on this one. Lopez by tko
Franchize
I think Lopez by close decision. I think he'll come in the fight ready to reclaim his glory but I think it will still be a tough fight because Salido will be out to prove it was no fluke.
Cshel86
Man I had to give this to Salido, again. Like I stated earlier, in a sense, he doesn't have much to lose. If anything, Juanma has the weight of the world on his shoulders, and has much more to prove. He lost by TKO, a prolonged TKO to be exact.

Its not like Salido won by decision, and Lopez has always been a sucker for a right hand, so there you have it. Im sure the fight would've been stopped earlier than that, had they not been in Lopez's back yard.
Cheesey1
I think Lopez will win by UD, or possibly even late TKO. I watched the clip that you posted and to me it looked like everytime Salido caught Lopez with clear bombs it was because Lopez didn't seem ready for what was coming and I'd assume that he won't make that mistake the second time.

It's also nice to see that Top Rank has at least one boxer who isn't a cowardly little kitten....
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 18 2012, 11:42 AM) *
I think Lopez will win by UD, or possibly even late TKO. I watched the clip that you posted and to me it looked like everytime Salido caught Lopez with clear bombs it was because Lopez didn't seem ready for what was coming and I'd assume that he won't make that mistake the second time.

It's also nice to see that Top Rank has at least one boxer who isn't a cowardly little kitten....

Because he wasn't ready for what was coming??? Isn't that how KO's occur anyway? Im about 110% sure Arum put Lopez in there with Salido to win that fight, not get his clock cleaned.

About 7 months prior to this bout, another one of Arum's fighters (Gamboa) pretty much had his way with Salido, so again, Lopez was supposed to win this one.
Seek
The stoppage was also questionable. I didn't think Juanma was all that hurt and could have fought on. I honestly believe he just didn't care what happened that night. I havn't seen him fight since then but if he has his head screwed on right this time, he'll take this no problem
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 18 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Because he wasn't ready for what was coming??? Isn't that how KO's occur anyway? Im about 110% sure Arum put Lopez in there with Salido to win that fight, not get his clock cleaned.

About 7 months prior to this bout, another one of Arum's fighters (Gamboa) pretty much had his way with Salido, so again, Lopez was supposed to win this one.

Ehrm...didn't know (or had forgotten, which is more likely) that Gamboa fought Salido, but I think that Gamboa's better than Lopez anyway. I agree with you saying that nobody expected Lopez to lose, especially like that, but I give him credit for making the rematch happen, even though he's still the favourite.

While I understand what you mean when you say "isn't that how KOs occur anyway?" I don't completely agree. Some guys get KTFO because they're fatigued or simply in there with a better fighter, but they still see it coming. Lopez was either fatigued from the beating that he was taking and his reflexes were done, or he just didn't think that Salido would throw as quickly as he did. Of course it could also be as you said that he has problems with defending against the right hand.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 18 2012, 12:31 PM) *
Ehrm...didn't know (or had forgotten, which is more likely) that Gamboa fought Salido, but I think that Gamboa's better than Lopez anyway. I agree with you saying that nobody expected Lopez to lose, especially like that, but I give him credit for making the rematch happen, even though he's still the favourite.

While I understand what you mean when you say "isn't that how KOs occur anyway?" I don't completely agree. Some guys get KTFO because they're fatigued or simply in there with a better fighter, but they still see it coming. Lopez was either fatigued from the beating that he was taking and his reflexes were done, or he just didn't think that Salido would throw as quickly as he did. Of course it could be as you said that he has problems with defending against the right han.d

Lopez needs this rematch, desperately. The upside of it, is that he will actually gain something by beating Salido this time...unlike the unfortunate case with James Kirkland who was KO'd by a guy that he KNEW he was supposed to beat. Going back and slaughtering Ishida does shit for him, because he wasn't supposed to lose in the first place, and besides, who was Ishida before he beat James? laugh.gif

As far as getting KO'd because they didn't see it...ask Montiel how that feels! The shots that have the biggest effect, are the ones that you dont see coming. I can side with you on the fatigue part, but not seeing it coming usually seals the deal, and all it takes is one punch to change the trajectory of a fight. So, in Lopez's case and your argument, fatigue from a beating set in, his reflexes were on vacation, and sure he saw some of those right hands coming due to it...but not the first one got him in trouble (not the one that floored him).
MaxPayne
My goodness, has Lopez ever blocked or slipped a punch in his life ? Solido in that fight was damn near throwing hooks BLIND with his head down and was still catching Lopez with big shots.

I think the problem for Lopez was that he couldn't hurt Solido. Solido kept walking through Lopez's shots and landing huge ones of his own. On the other hand, it looks like Lopez has chin issues, if he was floored like that by someone who can at best be called a journeyman.

It's just amazing to me how these guys have no defense whatsoever. Idiots like Lopez and Gamboa are built off of what ? Beating the crap out of dead bodies ? Please.

If any of these guys went up to 130 lbs. and had the balls to face Adrien Broner, they would get the dog shit beaten out of them, believe that.

If blind hooks can land, imagine what sharp jabs and straight right hands would do to them.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 12:23 PM) *
The stoppage was also questionable. I didn't think Juanma was all that hurt and could have fought on. I honestly believe he just didn't care what happened that night. I havn't seen him fight since then but if he has his head screwed on right this time, he'll take this no problem

Questionable?! Please Seek! Juanma looked like he had just left the downtown bar on a birthday night! He was still throwing punches, but it looked like he was throwing them underwater. Salido's right hand became best friends with Lopez's chin, no question about it.

The sad part is, they were in PR! WTF? The ref did all he could by letting the fight go on that many rounds after he was floored the first time. Had this fight taken place anywhere other than PR, then I may agreed...I may have agreed. Being the fact that it was stopped like that in his hometown, goes to show you that the prognosis was clear as day.

He didn't look all that well in his last fight either (I believe it was in October some time).
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 18 2012, 12:42 PM) *
My goodness, has Lopez ever blocked or slipped a punch in his life ? Solido in that fight was damn near throwing hooks BLIND with his head down and was still catching Lopez with big shots.

I think the problem for Lopez was that he couldn't hurt Solido. Solido kept walking through Lopez's shots and landing huge ones of his own. On the other hand, it looks like Lopez has chin issues, if he was floored like that by someone who can at best be called a journeyman.

It's just amazing to me how these guys have no defense whatsoever. Idiots like Lopez and Gamboa are built off of what ? Beating the crap out of dead bodies ? Please.

If any of these guys went up to 130 lbs. and had the balls to face Adrien Broner, they would get the dog shit beaten out of them, believe that.

If blind hooks can land, imagine what sharp jabs and straight right hands would do to them.

Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 18 2012, 12:46 PM) *
Questionable?! Please Seek! Juanma looked like he had just left the downtown bar on a birthday night! He was still throwing punches, but it looked like he was throwing them underwater. Salido's right hand became best friends with Lopez's chin, no question about it.

The sad part is, they were in PR! WTF? The ref did all he could by letting the fight go on that many rounds after he was floored the first time. Had this fight taken place anywhere other than PR, then I may agreed...I may have agreed. Being the fact that it was stopped like that in his hometown, goes to show you that the prognosis was clear as day.

He didn't look all that well in his last fight either (I believe it was in October some time).

He didn't look hurt to me. From what I recall he was still throwing punches when they stopped it. It was more of his body language that made it appear he didn't want to fight. But he clearly didn't give a shit, even after they waived it off, he didn't care one bit. If he comes to win this time, he'll knock Salido out. I guarentee it
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 12:52 PM) *
He didn't look hurt to me. From what I recall he was still throwing punches when they stopped it. It was more of his body language that made it appear he didn't want to fight. But he clearly didn't give a shit, even after they waived it off, he didn't care one bit. If he comes to win this time, he'll knock Salido out. I guarentee it

Oh trust me Seek, he was hurt and Im sure the ref got tired of him getting knocked around the ring and rocked with right hands. He didn't give a shit about the stoppage? Lopez was pissed off and trying to fight after they waved it off. Im sure he's gonna bring his A-Game this time...if he knows whats good for his reputation.
Cheesey1
Yeah, Broner vs. Lopez, or Gamboa would be very interesting. Not really a fan of the very low weight divisions as a whole, but there are definitley some great boxers in those divisions. Looking forward to seeing more of Gary Russell too.
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 18 2012, 01:04 PM) *
Oh trust me Seek, he was hurt and Im sure the ref got tired of him getting knocked around the ring and rocked with right hands. He didn't give a shit about the stoppage? Lopez was pissed off and trying to fight after they waved it off. Im sure he's gonna bring his A-Game this time...if he knows whats good for his reputation.

I like Juanman. He brings it. But he leaves his chin out in the air and gets cracked/knocked down easily. I just really didn't like the way Juanma looked in the Salido fight. There was no passion, no thunder in his punches. He wasn't as relentless as i'm used to seeing him. He has more than enough tools and power to put Salido away I believe.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 18 2012, 01:15 PM) *
Yeah, Broner vs. Lopez, or Gamboa would be very interesting. Not really a fan of the very low weight divisions as a whole, but there are definitley some great boxers in those divisions. Looking forward to seeing more of Gary Russell too.

Yeah Im trying to pay more attention the lower weight classes, but its clear that they aren't what they used to be...with the likes FMJ, Morales, Barrers, JMM, Pacquiao, Hamed, and so forth.

QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 01:18 PM) *
I like Juanman. He brings it. But he leaves his chin out in the air and gets cracked/knocked down easily. I just really didn't like the way Juanma looked in the Salido fight. There was no passion, no thunder in his punches. He wasn't as relentless as i'm used to seeing him. He has more than enough tools and power to put Salido away I believe.

He has what it takes, but as Max explained, Salido was taking some of Juanma's best punches. I blame it on Lopez blowing up in weight between fights. He was reported to have weighed around 180 lbs at a cookout (according to Arum), months before the Salido fight. That sounds a bit exaggerated, but I need to find the article that I read about him.
dhoward126
Salido will have the same success as he did last time landing that right hand on JuanMa's shaky chin. Lopez is an idiot for trying to stay at 126, his body outgrew that division before the Marquez fight and he normally walks around at 150 pounds. While exterior circumstances did affect him that night (nasty divorce with his wife, him eating himself silly etc.), what did him in is his contempt for defense and Salido's chin. Granted, Salido looked terrible in his last fight against Weng Haya, but Lopez showed that same leaky defense against Mike Oliver and it doesn't look like he's convinced that the weight and his focus was the problem, not the fact that Salido was eating his punches for lunch. I'll give it to Salido by TKO probably the same way it happened before, with him buzzing Lopez bad and beating up on him for a few rounds before the stoppage comes. A tragic end to a career that was so promising.
checkleft
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 18 2012, 01:23 PM) *

I don't agree. Juanma was not protecting himself and that's what the ref is there for to protect the fighter when they are taking too much punishment. He was hurt extremely tired and was on the verge of going down again. Juanma is good but he has some conditioning and defensive problems, I see salido winning again. Lopez is a real sucker for right hand shots and he's been down before and he will go down again. But I do see him being more focused and more competitive.
checkleft
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 18 2012, 01:42 PM) *

Best post I've seen in a long time

Best believe Arums going to keep Gamboa away from broner.
If things keep the way they are broner will be the new mayweather and Gamboa the new pac..
Cshel86
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Jan 18 2012, 04:16 PM) *
Salido will have the same success as he did last time landing that right hand on JuanMa's shaky chin. Lopez is an idiot for trying to stay at 126, his body outgrew that division before the Marquez fight and he normally walks around at 150 pounds. While exterior circumstances did affect him that night (nasty divorce with his wife, him eating himself silly etc.), what did him in is his contempt for defense and Salido's chin. Granted, Salido looked terrible in his last fight against Weng Haya, but Lopez showed that same leaky defense against Mike Oliver and it doesn't look like he's convinced that the weight and his focus was the problem, not the fact that Salido was eating his punches for lunch. I'll give it to Salido by TKO probably the same way it happened before, with him buzzing Lopez bad and beating up on him for a few rounds before the stoppage comes. A tragic end to a career that was so promising.

+1

He looked fat at the presser against Mike Oliver. I mean seriously Lopez, just move up. I may have to post the highlights of his last bout with Oliver...it wasn't so convincing (for Lopez fans).
Cshel86

Had to post this...it's only 2 rounds, so dont mind the 13 minute time frame. This bout took place 6 months after the Salido bout. Tell me what you think...
Cshel86
Wow...this has got to be one of the biggest rematches this year, and nobody's uttered a word about it. Where is everybody at??? dntknw.gif
wolterb
I predict Salido overwhelms Lopez again - winning this time by decision and not knockout. Lopez can be more cautious this fight and prevent his chin gettin swept up, but in their first fight Lopez in his best moments couldn't land a solid shot. Salido is gonna keep comin, throw and land the larger quantity of punches, and possibly get Lopez out early
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Mar 5 2012, 02:34 PM) *
I predict Salido overwhelms Lopez again - winning this time by decision and not knockout.

Sorta like Pavlik did with Taylor? This is actually a good prediction, because most of us have already written Lopez off as getting KO'd again. Judging by Lopez's last outing against Oliver, it's clear that he's still a sucker for a right hand any day of the week.
Cshel86
Oh shit...Showtime is going to replay the first Lopez/Salido match on Friday night! Cant wait for that Gus Johnson commentary laugh.gif
The Original MrFactor
Salido by Blitz. Lopez is ruined. He gets hit waaay to much, and always has.
Cshel86
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 7 2012, 03:52 PM) *
Salido by Blitz. Lopez is ruined. He gets hit waaay to much, and always has.

+1

Juanma gets the rug swept from under him again...just like that first overhand right did to him.
Cshel86
Weights:

Lopez: 125.75

Salido: 126

wolterb
juan's want to trade and compulsion to express toughness is his biggest downfall. but that is also in part what makes him such an appealing fighter to watch. if he remains at his current weight and makes no changes to his approach to fighting then he might become a solid contender or stepping stone.

no matter what, I hand it to him for being entertaining. he had a great string of wins where he was able to invite his opponent to tee off on him when his jelly legs came on from a big punch. can't fault him for thinking he could do it again in the first salido fight. only chance I give him is if he swallows his pride and holds if he takes a good one. either way the fight most likely will provide some good entertainment
Sunni6Killer
Salido by 7th round KO.
Jack 1000
I voted for Saido by close decision,

Not too confident, because if it is close, he could not get it. I don't know about Lopez losing twice in a row, and the scoring was too close in the last fight at the time of the stoppage. I had Salido a couple points ahead if I recall. It was a somewhat premature stoppage. I would have let it go about 15 more seconds, because Lopez, at least to the official judges was very much in the fight.

If Lopez is going to do anything, it's almost got to be his specialty of doing what he did before the fight. Getting guys out within 3 rounds on a blitz. If this goes past 4 rounds, Saido will have his timing down, and Lopez will be too confidence shaken to get the KO. It will be a close call on the cards, fair or not, because the judges may not want Lopez to lose a second time.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.