Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd vs. Martinez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
Floyd and Manny ain't dancing (He officially is a loser for ducking Floyd). So Floyd has said if Martinez can make 150 then he will fight Martinez. I guarantee Martinez takes the offer and gives Floyd one hell of a fight. This could be Floyd's toughest test to date. I give Floyd the fight by 2 rounds. Martinez gets hit a little too much but I wouldn't be surprised at the upset.
thehype
Just to clarify, I believe the subject of Martinez was phrased to him as such: "In the past, Martinez has said he would come down to 150 for a fight with you. Would you be willing to fight him if that was the case?" To which, Floyd gave his response, basically saying yeah, if he would do that, then we could fight. But no, Floyd did not "call out" Martinez to come down to 150 for a fight. Just clearing that up before everyone gets excited and the rumors start flying. I've already seen a few folks take quotes from him regarding that and running with headlines like "Mayweather eyes Martinez". That is not the case as far as I know. Wouldn't mind seeing it, but at 150, Martinez might be a skeleton. That's a tough weight cut.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 19 2012, 12:02 AM) *
Just to clarify, I believe the subject of Martinez was phrased to him as such: "In the past, Martinez has said he would come down to 150 for a fight with you. Would you be willing to fight him if that was the case?" To which, Floyd gave his response, basically saying yeah, if he would do that, then we could fight. But no, Floyd did not "call out" Martinez to come down to 150 for a fight. Just clearing that up before everyone gets excited and the rumors start flying. I've already seen a few folks take quotes from him regarding that and running with headlines like "Mayweather eyes Martinez". That is not the case as far as I know. Wouldn't mind seeing it, but at 150, Martinez might be a skeleton. That's a tough weight cut.

Preciate that Hype. I just saw a quotable on boxingscene so I thought I would bring it up since it's the only fight out of the four folks mentioned that actually has me intrigued.
Cshel86
Hopefully this fight happens at 54, because of course, only Pacquiao kills his opponents (weight wise) before the contract is signed laugh.gif Now that I think about it, Martinez still has to get past Macklin in March (which wont be a breeze).

The ONLY way this fight happens, is if Macklin is paid some step aside money. Now if I see the headline, "Macklin Steps Aside", followed by a funny-lookin' photo of him, then that would give me an idea that a Floyd/Martinez fight was being talked up.
Seek
I don't get why Floyd would take a fight with Martinez when they are against catchweights? I understand he isn't demanding Martinez to come down to 150 and that Martinez insisted he would come down that low but it's still a catchweight and Team Floyd is clearly against that idea.
Franchize
I don't think Floyd should have to go up in weight at all. He's #1 P4P. People keep complaining about him trying to call shots. That's what you earn when you're the best. I wish some of these boxing fans knew the demands Sugar Ray Leonard had when he fought Hagler.
Seek
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 19 2012, 01:02 AM) *

"If he(Martinez) can make 150, let's make it happen."

The public might buy into what you're saying but whether or not Floyd "called out" Martinez to come down to 150 honestly doesn't matter. A catchweight is a catchweight and Floyd has taken pride in fighting guys at the real weight. He doesn't need a catchweight. Why doesn't he come out and say, I don't need him to come down to 150, i'll fight him at the real weight, at 154. I'll answer that for you. Because he won't fight Martinez at 154. If he did, I would say wow Floyd, you're a bad ass dude. But apparently, he has no problem fighting him at a catchweight of 150.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 09:42 AM) *
"If he(Martinez) can make 150, let's make it happen."

The public might buy into what you're saying but whether or not Floyd "called out" Martinez to come down to 150 honestly doesn't matter. A catchweight is a catchweight and Floyd has taken pride in fighting guys at the real weight. He doesn't need a catchweight. Why doesn't he come out and say, I don't need him to come down to 150, i'll fight him at the real weight, at 154. I'll answer that for you. Because he won't fight Martinez at 154. If he did, I would say wow Floyd, you're a bad ass dude. But apparently, he has no problem fighting him at a catchweight of 150.

At this point, I dont see it truly happening anyway. Floyd has only attempted to fight at 154 once, and of course, that was against Oscar. He only weighed in at 150 or 151, and the fact that he only rehydrated to 150 lbs for the Ortiz fight, is very telling.

Either he was in tip top shape, or he just isn't naturally that big. I dont know if Sergio can bring anything to the table that would rack up some PPV numbers, but who knows. Coming down to 150 would hurt Sergio, and honestly, Im wondering how he would perform at 154. Too much "dropping of the weight" for Sergio, not enough "willingness/monetary reasons" for Floyd to move up.
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 09:57 AM) *
At this point, I dont see it truly happening anyway. Floyd has only attempted to fight at 154 once, and of course, that was against Oscar. He only weighed in at 150 or 151, and the fact that he only rehydrated to 150 lbs for the Ortiz fight, is very telling.

Either he was in tip top shape, or he just isn't naturally that big. I dont know if Sergio can bring anything to the table that would rack up some PPV numbers, but who knows. Coming down to 150 would hurt Sergio, and honestly, Im wondering how he would perform at 154. Too much "dropping of the weight" for Sergio, not enough "willingness/monetary reasons" for Floyd to move up.

You are still on that? "I dont know if sergio can bring anything to the table that would rack up some ppv numbers" ???

I'll bet you anything you want that this fight is a huge success even if it happens at 150.

The only problem I have is with Floyd saying in the past that he doesn't need a catch weight or he beats guys at the real weight. I don't care whether he demands it or the opponent insists on it. He's been outspoken about Pacquiao fighting weakened fighters, no reason for Floyd to follow suit. A catchweight is a catchweight, do it at 154.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 10:19 AM) *
You are still on that? "I dont know if sergio can bring anything to the table that would rack up some ppv numbers" ???

I'll bet you anything you want that this fight is a huge success even if it happens at 150.

The only problem I have is with Floyd saying in the past that he doesn't need a catch weight or he beats guys at the real weight. I don't care whether he demands it or the opponent insists on it. He's been outspoken about Pacquiao fighting weakened fighters, no reason for Floyd to follow suit. A catchweight is a catchweight, do it at 154.

Yep, Im still on that PPV numbers thing. Last time I checked, you had this undying faith in Robert Guerrero, and the fact that he and Mayweather would do great numbers as far as PPVs are concerned. Remember this???....

QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 8 2012, 06:35 PM) *
Agree to disagree. Guerrero brings a lot to the table imo. He can do a million buys. And its not just Guerrero, Floyd fighting is an event, there is alwats a huge buzz when it comes to Floyd, you put a mexican high output puncher, great talker with a great story in front of mayweather and you got urself an event. Guerrero can sell a fight 10x better than Ortiz.

Gee...I wonder how Guerrero faded out of the picture so quickly, if he and Floyd could "do a million buys" and he could "sell a fight 10x better than Ortiz". The same pretty much goes for Sergio...he's knocked P. Willy out, beat Pavlik, and ran through a couple of harmless, unknown fighters with good records, then what? Nobody knows Sergio besides us.
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 10:42 AM) *
Yep, Im still on that PPV numbers thing. Last time I checked, you had this undying faith in Robert Guerrero, and the fact that he and Mayweather would do great numbers as far as PPVs are concerned. Remember this???....

Gee...I wonder how Guerrero faded out of the picture so quickly, if he and Floyd could "do a million buys" and he could "sell a fight 10x better than Ortiz". The same pretty much goes for Sergio...he's knocked P. Willy out, beat Pavlik, and ran through a couple of harmless, unknown fighters with good records, then what? Nobody knows Sergio besides us.

And I still believe Guerrero could break a mil ppv buys. Just because Floyd didn't take the fight, doesn't mean it wouldn't do well. It just shows Floyd really wants to give the fans what they want. But I have no doubt the mexican and latino fans would rally behind any mexican fighter, especially Guerrero with his story. Don't try and talk like you know anything about our culture because you don't.

I hope the Martinez fight goes down. That way you can put your money where your mouth is. You do a lot of talking but you don't seem to believe it. You clearly had no faith in your pick for Margarito over Cotto. And i'm sure you don't believe in your theory of Martinez not bringing anything to the table vs Floyd either. We'll sort this out, don't worry Shelly
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 10:52 AM) *
And I still believe Guerrero could break a mil ppv buys. Just because Floyd didn't take the fight, doesn't mean it wouldn't do well. It just shows Floyd really wants to give the fans what they want. But I have no doubt the mexican and latino fans would rally behind any mexican fighter, especially Guerrero with his story. Don't try and talk like you know anything about our culture because you don't.

I hope the Martinez fight goes down. That way you can put your money where your mouth is. You do a lot of talking but you don't seem to believe it. You clearly had no faith in your pick for Margarito over Cotto. And i'm sure you don't believe in your theory of Martinez not bringing anything to the table vs Floyd either. We'll sort this out, don't worry Shelly

Please dont make it a culture thing, yes, Guerrero is Mexican, half-mexican, quarter-Mexican, whatever. It all comes down to popularity and promotion...and the bottom line is, nobody knows who the hell Guerrero is, hands down.

If the Martinez fight goes down, then we'll really have to see what the numbers look like. I had faith in picking Margarito to beat Cotto, I just told you to grow some hair on your nuts before you decided to challenge me to a sig bet. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 11:02 AM) *
Please dont make it a culture thing, yes, Guerrero is Mexican, half-mexican, quarter-Mexican, whatever. It all comes down to popularity and promotion...and the bottom line is, nobody knows who the hell Guerrero is, hands down.

If the Martinez fight goes down, then we'll really have to see what the numbers look like. I had faith in picking Margarito to beat Cotto, I just told you to grow some hair on your nuts before you decided to challenge me to a sig bet. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I wasn't the only one who called you out in your Margo pick. Also, it's a little distubring that you are so concerned about my nuts. Sorry bro I don't swing that way lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 11:12 AM) *
I wasn't the only one who called you out in your Margo pick. Also, it's a little distubring that you are so concerned about my nuts. Sorry bro I don't swing that way lol

Okay, you're right, you didn't initially call me out for a sig bet, you just piggybacked the other guy who sig bet me, but disappeared. I believe it was that fuckwad JONdaCON, the one who looked liked the Hot Cheeto man.

As far as you catching feelings about me telling you to grow some hair on your nuts before you sig bet me, it was simply a metaphoric way of saying, "Lose the training wheels on your little Mongoose bike, before you try to compete with the big boys". My translation simply was, "Fuck off, this has nothing to do with you". laugh.gif
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 11:27 AM) *
Okay, you're right, you didn't initially call me out for a sig bet, you just piggybacked the other guy who sig bet me, but disappeared. I believe it was that fuckwad JONdaCON, the one who looked liked the Hot Cheeto man.

As far as you catching feelings about me telling you to grow some hair on your nuts before you sig bet me, it was simply a metaphoric way of saying, "Lose the training wheels on your little Mongoose bike, before you try to compete with the big boys". My translation simply was, "Fuck off, this has nothing to do with you". laugh.gif

Looks like the drinking and crack in your bloodline is affecting your memory. I was the first to call you out and Jon jumped in on the fun and offered a sig bet. So piggybacked? Sorry no.

And thank you for explaining your homosexual urges. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable with you mentioning my nuts for maybe the 4th or 5th time. Much appreciated bro
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 12:07 PM) *
Looks like the drinking and crack in your bloodline is affecting your memory. I was the first to call you out and Jon jumped in on the fun and offered a sig bet. So piggybacked? Sorry no.

And thank you for explaing your homosexual urges. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable with you mentioning my nuts for maybe the 4th or 5th time. Much appreciated bro

As long as you understood my translation, then we're good. As far as your ill-informed logic on fights being made/PPV numbers is ridiculous. To add insult to injury, your undying ignorance towards presented evidence, makes it safe to say that any fact-based info that goes to your head, just dies of loneliness. Close enough?
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:17 PM) *
As long as you understood my translation, then we're good. As far as your ill-informed logic on fights being made/PPV numbers is ridiculous. To add insult to injury, your undying ignorance towards presented evidence, makes it safe to say that any fact-based info that goes to your head, just dies of loneliness. Close enough?

I don't need evidence to prove you're a bitch after I call you out on your bs. You do a fine job of that!
MaxPayne
I really don't want this fight to happen at anything less than 154 lbs.

I'm more concerned for Floyd's reputation and legacy than anything else, and fighting a dead man walking does neither of those things any good.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 12:23 PM) *
I don't need evidence to prove you're a bitch after I call you out on your bs. You do a fine job of that!

...yet again, you fail to recover any scraps of relevance...
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 19 2012, 12:27 PM) *
I really don't want this fight to happen at anything less than 154 lbs.

I'm more concerned for Floyd's reputation and legacy than anything else, and fighting a dead man walking does neither of those things any good.

Absolutely right Max! I believe Floyd acknowledged Sergio's challenge, just to let him know that he would be somewhat interested down the line. Im sure he would do it at 154, if he actually agreed to fight. To make Sergio fight 10 lbs south of his fighting weight, pretty much validates that Pacquiao/DLH weight travesty (as Seek said earlier about the catchweight).
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 12:28 PM) *
...yet again, you fail to recover any scraps of relevance...

If my logic was so ill-informed, you'd think you would take me up on any bet. Well you never have and probably never will. Cotto Margarito being an example of your beyatch-ness. Simple really. We'll get back to this if Mayweather Martinez is signed. Or maybe Pacquiao Bradley, that'll be a good one.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 19 2012, 12:53 PM) *
If my logic was so ill-informed, you'd think you would take me up on any bet. Well you never have and probably never will. Cotto Margarito being an example of your beyatch-ness. Simple really. We'll get back to this if Mayweather Martinez is signed. Or maybe Pacquiao Bradley, that'll be a good one.

laugh.gif

I dont make deals with bewildered bell ends, sorry...I try not to make a practice of such affairs.
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 19 2012, 01:00 PM) *
laugh.gif

I dont make deals with bewildered bell ends, sorry...I try not to make a practice of such affairs.

Suree buddy, i'm sure that's why you never fail to reply to your girlfriend Allmenjo lol have fun with that.
Box in Hand
Umm wow! U2 are going at it pretty fierce. I just want to know what the pick is should these 2 fight? Style wise Martinez presents all kinds of issues for Floyd.
BrutalBodyShots
150? That's a joke. Martinez hasn't weighed in at 150 in almost 10 years. He also hasn't fought at 154 now in nearly 3 years. I do think he could "meet Floyd half way" and they could scrap at 154 and I wouldn't have a problem with that... but anything less is a joke.

At 154 I actually think it's a great match up.

Cshel86
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jan 19 2012, 04:11 PM) *
Umm wow! U2 are going at it pretty fierce. I just want to know what the pick is should these 2 fight? Style wise Martinez presents all kinds of issues for Floyd.

I have Floyd by UD. The only way I see Martinez winning this is by KO/TKO. If he had trouble hitting Barker, then I can only imagine how much trouble he will have hitting a guy thats either not going to be there to be hit, or a guy that stands right in front of you and still hard to hit. He appears more technical with the guys that he fights, but to me, he's just a busy fighter who outworks his opponent and lands the money punch at the right time.

154 is a fair weight, and being the fact that Sergio only rehydrates to 165...it wont be much different from Floyd fighting Ortiz (who came in at 164). Martinez has pretty good power (not a one punch KO fighter), but what makes him appear so powerful is his accuracy. He will have to step that up when he's in the ring with Floyd, hopefully he can adjust to the movement, and the fact that Floyd will be bending down and feinting and shit.

So yes, Floyd by UD, I dont see him taking too many risks in this one.
Plah
Floyd by easy UD at 150. At 154 this would be a great fight imo. The likeliest outcome should be Floyd by close UD I guess, but wouldn't be surprised at all if Sergio knocks him down/out. Wouldn't be surprised at all neither if Sergio can't catch Floyd with anything meaningful. For me, at least, this is far more intriguing than Floyd/Pac or Floyd/Insert name here.
BrutalBodyShots
I'd take Floyd by decision at 154. Martinez also needs to keep his hands up. Mayweather would have a field day with lead left hooks and lead straight right hands come round 4 or 5 when he settles in and Martinez has his hands down by his thighs.

Cshel86
QUOTE (Plah @ Jan 20 2012, 12:00 AM) *
this is far more intriguing than Floyd/Pac or Floyd/Insert name here.

Let's be honest here, both Pac and Floyd;s fights have held us over, thus far laugh.gif

QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 20 2012, 12:58 PM) *
Mayweather would have a field day with lead left hooks and lead straight right hands come round 4 or 5 when he settles in and Martinez has his hands down by his thighs.

Exactly! Sergio hasn't fought anybody quick enough to take advantage of that. Hell, Barker's right hands were landing on Sergio, so a small, quick guy, with the skills to get it and get out, could pose a big problem for him. I like Sergio's jab though, hopefully that gives him enough of an advantage to mount an offense.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 20 2012, 01:10 PM) *
I like Sergio's jab though, hopefully that gives him enough of an advantage to mount an offense.

I like it too, as long as he doesn't get lazy with it. I guess that goes back to the hands down thing, which is just asking for trouble against a guy like Mayweather. Hopefully Martinez can establish the jab and MAINTAIN it, unlike a guy like De La Hoya who was successful with it early against Mayweather but forgot about it for whatever reason.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 20 2012, 05:06 PM) *
I like it too, as long as he doesn't get lazy with it. I guess that goes back to the hands down thing, which is just asking for trouble against a guy like Mayweather. Hopefully Martinez can establish the jab and MAINTAIN it, unlike a guy like De La Hoya who was successful with it early against Mayweather but forgot about it for whatever reason.

Lazy or comfortable are the exact words to use when describing his jab, though he has a good one. A good counter puncher with a quick and decent hook, would have Sergio seeing stars, but there aren't many of those at MW.

De La Hoya's jab and some of the wild shit he followed it with, helped him win a few rounds, but he got either tired or lazy, gave up his height advantage, and gave the fight away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.