Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larry Merchant May 5th
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Allmenjoi8
I am wondering will Larry Merchant announce Mayweather's next fight? I listened to announcer from the UK I think a former Irish boxer, he was announcing Oscar and Floyd match up and he was very good, maybe that could his replacement. That will be a story in itself.
Cheesey1
Larry Merchant....no thanks.
BigFightFan
I have no problem with Merchant covering the fight, he asks the tough questions and I enjoy his stupid analogies.
Franchize
Due to my cheapness and the availability of streams, I had the pleasure of watching Marquez vs Pacquiao AND Cotto vs Magarito without the annoying bias of HBO. I must say, other than the heavy English accents, I rather enjoyed it. I actually prefer Showtime's guys over HBO's now. They tell it like it is. Berstein is gr8 and I like Tarver as a commentator way more than I ever did as a fighter lol. That said, Merchant is the worst commentator in sports IMO. He's completely biased, disrespectful, borders on racist and it takes him forever to complete a sentence. I'm so tired of his pointless analogies and the lame imagery he tries to conjure in fans minds to "add mystique" to fights. He's all but starts his commentary with "It was a dark and stormy night". Enough is enough. Out with the old and in with the new as Floyd said...although I'd love to see the look on his face if Floyd whooped Manny. Couldn't imagine what that interview would be like. He'd be so angry he could chew through an enswell.
Cshel86
Im still trying to figure out what kind of question this is. It goes without saying...of course Merchant is going to be a "commentator" at Mayweather's next fight. When you said "announce", I was in the frame of mind, that he would actually announce to the public, who Floyd's next opponent will be.

Regardless of their dislike for one another, it clearly wont stop either of them from being in the same building and doing their job. Haven't they always disliked each other? That's a no-brainer. Some folks who have no idea about the sport, got excited about that recent incident between them, but guys who know the sport, can tell you that it's not the first time they've publicly bumped heads.

With that said, it changes nothing. As a matter of fact, due to the last incident and it's excitement...that warrants Merchant to be there, just so people can see what he had to say about it, and all hopes of it happening again.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Im still trying to figure out what kind of question this is. It goes without saying...of course Merchant is going to be a "commentator" at Mayweather's next fight. When you said "announce", I was in the frame of mind, that he would actually announce to the public, who Floyd's next opponent will be.

Regardless of their dislike for one another, it clearly wont stop either of them from being in the same building and doing their job. Haven't they always disliked each other? That's a no-brainer. Some folks who have no idea about the sport, got excited about that recent incident between them, but guys who know the sport, can tell you that it's not the first time they've publicly bumped heads.

With that said, it changes nothing. As a matter of fact, due to the last incident and it's excitement...that warrants Merchant to be there, just so people can see what he had to say about it, and all hopes of it happening again.

So you think Merchant will give the interview after the fight or will they send Kellerman to do the interview?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 20 2012, 10:45 AM) *
So you think Merchant will give the interview after the fight or will they send Kellerman to do the interview?

Uh yeahhh, duh. Hell, Mayweather and Kellerman have bumped heads before...that shouldn't stop anybody from doing their job. Mayweather and Merchant have had episodes in the past, but just because Floyd gets touchy during post-fight interviews, that doesn't mean that anything should change.

If I remember correctly, Merchant was giving Floyd credit throughout the fight, and even after it ended, but Floyd got pissed because he couldn't "thank his fans", so he blew up. Usually Merchant is an asshole, but in this case, he steered clear of it, and still caught. Back in the day, Larry used to be the one initiating the controversy, they're almost even in that sense.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:45 AM) *

Have to send Kellerman....no way Larry wants to answer any of the following questions, undoubtedly, Mayweather will ask:

"So, what do you have to say now?"
"Can I finally get some credit or what?
"You still here?"
"They didn't fire you?"
"I thought I told you to stick to commentating?"
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 20 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Uh yeahhh, duh. Hell, Mayweather and Kellerman have bumped heads before...that shouldn't stop anybody from doing their job. Mayweather and Merchant have had episodes in the past, but just because Floyd gets touchy during post-fight interviews, that doesn't mean that anything should change.

If I remember correctly, Merchant was giving Floyd credit throughout the fight, and even after it ended, but Floyd got pissed because he couldn't "thank his fans", so he blew up. Usually Merchant is an asshole, but in this case, he steered clear of it, and still caught. Back in the day, Larry used to be the one initiating the controversy, they're almost even in that sense.

I think Larry Merchant is Skip Bayless's father. They are both over the top a holes who really are at a disconnect with the world. Do you believe in hitting seniors? Cause that may happen
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 20 2012, 12:02 PM) *
I think Larry Merchant is Skip Bayless's father. They are both over the top a holes who really are at a disconnect with the world. Do you believe in hitting seniors? Cause that may happen

Both guys are assholes, but its hard to not watch ESPN and HBO without them.
mgrover
never had a problem with merchant, he usually calls it how he sees it unless its to do with floyd then hes generally in hate mode, but the funny thing is in the post ortiz mayweather fight interview mayweather was being a bitch, plain and simple, merchant gave him his dues, he told him he was dominating from the beginning but it wasn't enough for mayweathers ego, he wanted Merchant to bow down and suck his dick.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 20 2012, 04:18 PM) *
never had a problem with merchant, he usually calls it how he sees it unless its to do with floyd then hes generally in hate mode, but the funny thing is in the post ortiz mayweather fight interview mayweather was being a bitch, plain and simple, merchant gave him his dues, he told him he was dominating from the beginning but it wasn't enough for mayweathers ego, he wanted Merchant to bow down and suck his dick.

I don't think that it what it was. I think Mayweather was still heated and well he got a little emotional. Plus I think that may have been years of boiling hate just erupted. I would rather see someone who enjoys the sport announce the match than someone who hates a particular boxer. I love watching tennis just because Roddick plays doesn't mean I will crap on him despite his many short comings, if you love the sport you would put bias viewpoints aside.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 20 2012, 05:07 PM) *
I don't think that it what it was. I think Mayweather was still heated and well he got a little emotional. Plus I think that may have been years of boiling hate just erupted. I would rather see someone who enjoys the sport announce the match than someone who hates a particular boxer.

Again, here we go defending Mayweather. Point is, he lost his marbles at the wrong time. I would figure since he's so coherent in the ring, and always able to hear everything inside and outside of the ring...how was he not able to hear Merchant's compliments throughout the fight?

He blew his load because he couldn't control the interview...we wonder why he has to do videos interviews elsewhere...he knows he only has the chance to speak his mind (in full) in certain places. Other than that, the good questions (if there are any) will simply get skipped or rushed through, so the amazing Wacquiao questions can come flooding in.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 20 2012, 08:18 PM) *
Again, here we go defending Mayweather. Point is, he lost his marbles at the wrong time. I would figure since he's so coherent in the ring, and always able to hear everything inside and outside of the ring...how was he not able to hear Merchant's compliments throughout the fight?

He blew his load because he couldn't control the interview...we wonder why he has to do videos interviews elsewhere...he knows he only has the chance to speak his mind (in full) in certain places. Other than that, the good questions (if there are any) will simply get skipped or rushed through, so the amazing Wacquiao questions can come flooding in.

I am not defending he did. He has complete grace under pressure inside the ring, outside the ring is a different story. Usually when he talks to Merchant he expects the BS, but this time he lost it. Was it justified at the point? No. If he would of went ham on Merchant after the Hatton fight or even the Mosely fight then I would say clapping.gif. But this time Merchant was calm and even nice. But again playing Devil's advocate, look at the circumstances, he just got his mouth cut wide open and the fans were booing so I am sure that only added to his ire. Again grace under pressure inside the ring, not so much outside the ring.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 21 2012, 09:35 AM) *
I am not defending he did. He has complete grace under pressure inside the ring, outside the ring is a different story. Usually when he talks to Merchant he expects the BS, but this time he lost it. Was it justified at the point? No. If he would of went ham on Merchant after the Hatton fight or even the Mosely fight then I would say clapping.gif. But this time Merchant was calm and even nice. But again playing Devil's advocate, look at the circumstances, he just got his mouth cut wide open and the fans were booing so I am sure that only added to his ire. Again grace under pressure inside the ring, not so much outside the ring.

No, dont try to play Devil's Advocate now. You were 100% sure of your initial opinion, now you decide to backtrack (like you always do). That was a baby gash on his chin, but he claims that he had a hole in his face...classic case of embellishment on Floyd's behalf. A true example of a fighter having a "hole in his face" is Cotto's nasty gash on his chin during the Judah fight (which Im sure you didn't watch).

Bottom line, Floyd was an ass this time, and he went waaay over the top with it, hands down.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 21 2012, 04:13 PM) *
No, dont try to play Devil's Advocate now. You were 100% sure of your initial opinion, now you decide to backtrack (like you always do). That was a baby gash on his chin, but he claims that he had a hole in his face...classic case of embellishment on Floyd's behalf. A true example of a fighter having a "hole in his face" is Cotto's nasty gash on his chin during the Judah fight (which Im sure you didn't watch).

Bottom line, Floyd was an ass this time, and he went waaay over the top with it, hands down.

What did I say? I do not agree that he went off on Larry but I can understand. That is my only point. You are digging too deep budy. We see things from different view points.
mgrover
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 20 2012, 10:07 PM) *
I don't think that it what it was. I think Mayweather was still heated and well he got a little emotional. Plus I think that may have been years of boiling hate just erupted. I would rather see someone who enjoys the sport announce the match than someone who hates a particular boxer. I love watching tennis just because Roddick plays doesn't mean I will crap on him despite his many short comings, if you love the sport you would put bias viewpoints aside.

1. mayweather never has control outside the ring, because even with all his wealth it never got him real power, hes just a rich guy.
2. merchant it seems even with his hate towards floyd has always asked the tough questions because its his job, i mean did floyd really expect him not to ask about how the fight ended?
3. whos the fucks roddick? and why are you talking about tennis?
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 21 2012, 10:28 PM) *
1. mayweather never has control outside the ring, because even with all his wealth it never got him real power, hes just a rich guy.
2. merchant it seems even with his hate towards floyd has always asked the tough questions because its his job, i mean did floyd really expect him not to ask about how the fight ended?
3. whos the fucks roddick? and why are you talking about tennis?

Andy Roddick is a tennis player. My point with that was: If I was a tennis commentator and I had to commentate an Andy Roddick match, I would not spend my entire time crapping on his lack of tennis skill. My job is to call the match and be as unbias as possible. Merchant does not do that. If he likes a fighter he creams all of himself if he doesn't like the fighter then we have to hear negative comments...
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 22 2012, 01:42 AM) *
Andy Roddick is a tennis player. My point with that was: If I was a tennis commentator and I had to commentate an Andy Roddick match, I would not spend my entire time crapping on his lack of tennis skill. My job is to call the match and be as unbias as possible. Merchant does not do that. If he likes a fighter he creams all of himself if he doesn't like the fighter then we have to hear negative comments...

Uh ohhhh...here comes the tennis talk again, LAST TIME I checked, you used to get owned by everybody on the board because you always brought up tennis, and half the time, you were wrong as hell. That's why I always stress, STAY ON TOPIC...if and only if you are having trouble posting credible, let alone, accurate information.

Trust me, I will pull up some of that old tennis garbage that always led to you getting owned, and post it. Stop it! Please! I refuse to allow you to repeat a full cycle of stupidity, just because old members aren't around anymore.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 22 2012, 01:03 PM) *
Uh ohhhh...here comes the tennis talk again, LAST TIME I checked, you used to get owned by everybody on the board because you always brought up tennis, and half the time, you were wrong as hell. That's why I always stress, STAY ON TOPIC...if and only if you are having trouble posting credible, let alone, accurate information.

Trust me, I will pull up some of that old tennis garbage that always led to you getting owned, and post it. Stop it! Please! I refuse to allow you to repeat a full cycle of stupidity, just because old members aren't around anymore.

Actually they were wrong and jumped to conclusions like you did. The point I was making and I see you missed that... If you are a boxing commentator your job is to the fight not push your personal dislike for a boxer and be biased. I said if I had to call a tennis match between Roddick even though I think he is a crapppy tennis player I would call the match and not piss on Roddick. It is called being unbiased. That was my only point. Stay in your lane.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 22 2012, 02:22 PM) *
Actually they were wrong and jumped to conclusions like you did. The point I was making and I see you missed that... If you are a boxing commentator your job is to the fight not push your personal dislike for a boxer and be biased. I said if I had to call a tennis match between Roddick even though I think he is a crapppy tennis player I would call the match and not piss on Roddick. It is called being unbiased. That was my only point. Stay in your lane.

The fact that you excuse your idiocy, is the part the really blows me. Just talk about boxing, and leave your dumb analogies out of it, please. Nobody's missing the point. I will stay in my lane and stop approving these dumb posts of yours, then that should settle it.
mgrover
QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Jan 22 2012, 06:42 AM) *

pretty true, but heres the deal, he can say what the fuck he wants, period. floyd wanted to do his 15 minutes bullshit rehearsed speech as if he gives a shit about anyone. you can hear the crowd booing during that interview. if a tennis player is shite id point out every little thing he does wrong and hopefully he wont be playing any longer for the sake of a boring sport.
Franchize
Sorry,have to go against the grain on this one. Sure Mayweather flew off the handle but he had reason. I just watched the fight over once again. Merchant DID NOT give him credit. He gave him a half assed compliment. "You won the fight" "You were beating him every round but...". Bottom line is, every fighter gets in the ring and thanks people almost like an awards show. Guys talk for hours. Unfortunately, it's only a problem when Floyd does it. He simply went to thank the fans and Merchant cut him off in a rude and unprofessional manner. He would have NEVER done tht to Oscar or Manny. You cant be an interviewer and shut you're interviewee up. At least give the man his props before you start with your critical bullshit. Larry Merchant is a biased, unprofessional asshole and his hate for Mayweather transcends that fight. He's been hating on Mayweather for years and he used to do the same with Roy Jones Jr both in fights and ringside while they are commentating. He thinks if a fighter is defending himself or showing any sort of tactic and gameplan, it's automatically a boring fight. He thinks if a fight isn't Gatti vs Ward then it's terrible. He knows nothing about the nuances of the sweet science. I don't understand what he contributes to HBO except fuel to the fire if you hate Floyd.The 1st thing he said before the fight was "Let's see if Floyd can finally be as exciting in the ring as he is out of it." Is that called for? He's a biased prick and needs to go. Enough with the "he tells it like it is." Not true. Because everyone pussyfoots around the Mayweather issue when it comes to Manny. They all ask in as nice a manner as possible when it comes to him. I'd like to see Merchant start off a Pacquiao fight with "Will Manny finally be as cautious with his defense and Bob Arum has been in cherry picking his fights?" When he takes Oscar and Manny to task, then i'll believe he's not biased.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 22 2012, 07:29 PM) *
pretty true, but heres the deal, he can say what the fuck he wants, period. floyd wanted to do his 15 minutes bullshit rehearsed speech as if he gives a shit about anyone. you can hear the crowd booing during that interview. if a tennis player is shite id point out every little thing he does wrong and hopefully he wont be playing any longer for the sake of a boring sport.

Franchize well said.

This isn't AMerica Idol when you crap on people who clearly can not sing. Floyd has earned his stripes as any professional athlete. That is a esoteric group that only a very few people know about. As an expert announcer or commentator of that sport your job is to call the match down the middle and not interject your own personnel feelings in the sport. The problem with Merchant is he clearly plays favorites and it is so obvious. It is unprofessional.
Cshel86
Well worded Franchize, but let's be clear for everybody that's reading this...Larry Merchant is a pain in the ass towards EVERYONE, in some shape, form, or fashion. He may go the extra mile with Mayweather at times, but Merchant will always speak his mind and be unprofessional whenever he wants to. Besides, what does he really know about the sport, that's worth contributing?

daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 20 2012, 10:04 AM) *
Due to my cheapness and the availability of streams, I had the pleasure of watching Marquez vs Pacquiao AND Cotto vs Magarito without the annoying bias of HBO. I must say, other than the heavy English accents, I rather enjoyed it. I actually prefer Showtime's guys over HBO's now. They tell it like it is. Berstein is gr8 and I like Tarver as a commentator way more than I ever did as a fighter lol. That said, Merchant is the worst commentator in sports IMO. He's completely biased, disrespectful, borders on racist and it takes him forever to complete a sentence. I'm so tired of his pointless analogies and the lame imagery he tries to conjure in fans minds to "add mystique" to fights. He's all but starts his commentary with "It was a dark and stormy night". Enough is enough. Out with the old and in with the new as Floyd said...although I'd love to see the look on his face if Floyd whooped Manny. Couldn't imagine what that interview would be like. He'd be so angry he could chew through an enswell.

great post!!! totally agree.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 21 2012, 03:13 PM) *

dude was headbutted...not sure if u've ever been headbutted...but that shit hurts. i don't care how big or little the gash is.

also, i think floyd was gracious. even when he said he was done talking to merchant...it was larry that got irate with his "what are u talking about?" then floyd said what was on his mind. up until that point...he was being very respectful. merchants' line of questioning....and selection of words was very leading. when it came to ortiz' turn to interview...he gave him every opportunity to make it like floyd was the bad guy. let's not get any of this twisted though....larry is sporting an earpiece. his orders are coming from above and he's following the script. hbo was stirring the pot trying to create controversy where there was none.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 22 2012, 07:29 PM) *

floyd can say what he wants as well. i don't know about u...but i tuned in to see/hear the fighters, not larry. being that floyd put up the money for the event that hbo covered...i'd say he deserves to say what ever he pleases...bullshit, rehearsed or otherwise. he's the talent...larry is just some bitter old 'never-was' who's opinion doesn't matter to me.

as for the shite tennis player and ur commentary on him...again...i'm tuning in to see the guy play tennis...not listen to another 'never-was.' laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 23 2012, 12:53 AM) *
Sorry,have to go against the grain on this one. Sure Mayweather flew off the handle but he had reason. I just watched the fight over once again. Merchant DID NOT give him credit. He gave him a half assed compliment. "You won the fight" "You were beating him every round but...". Bottom line is, every fighter gets in the ring and thanks people almost like an awards show. Guys talk for hours. Unfortunately, it's only a problem when Floyd does it. He simply went to thank the fans and Merchant cut him off in a rude and unprofessional manner. He would have NEVER done tht to Oscar or Manny. You cant be an interviewer and shut you're interviewee up. At least give the man his props before you start with your critical bullshit. Larry Merchant is a biased, unprofessional asshole and his hate for Mayweather transcends that fight. He's been hating on Mayweather for years and he used to do the same with Roy Jones Jr both in fights and ringside while they are commentating. He thinks if a fighter is defending himself or showing any sort of tactic and gameplan, it's automatically a boring fight. He thinks if a fight isn't Gatti vs Ward then it's terrible. He knows nothing about the nuances of the sweet science. I don't understand what he contributes to HBO except fuel to the fire if you hate Floyd.The 1st thing he said before the fight was "Let's see if Floyd can finally be as exciting in the ring as he is out of it." Is that called for? He's a biased prick and needs to go. Enough with the "he tells it like it is." Not true. Because everyone pussyfoots around the Mayweather issue when it comes to Manny. They all ask in as nice a manner as possible when it comes to him. I'd like to see Merchant start off a Pacquiao fight with "Will Manny finally be as cautious with his defense and Bob Arum has been in cherry picking his fights?" When he takes Oscar and Manny to task, then i'll believe he's not biased.

another great post! totally agree again. keep em coming.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 23 2012, 10:16 AM) *
Well worded Franchize, but let's be clear for everybody that's reading this...Larry Merchant is a pain in the ass towards EVERYONE, in some shape, form, or fashion. He may go the extra mile with Mayweather at times, but Merchant will always speak his mind and be unprofessional whenever he wants to. Besides, what does he really know about the sport, that's worth contributing?

i have to disagree with this one...check the interview right after the floyd/ortiz fight for proof. ortiz was the one in the wrong...should have been blasted on for the cheapshot head butts...but merchant gave him a pass and asked him very leading questions. but again...his orders/questions come from up above. check how he switched directions on some of the questions mid-sentence to paint ortiz as the victim. very telling imo.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2012, 07:00 PM) *
dude was headbutted...not sure if u've ever been headbutted...but that shit hurts. i don't care how big or little the gash is.

also, i think floyd was gracious. even when he said he was done talking to merchant...it was larry that got irate with his "what are u talking about?" then floyd said what was on his mind. up until that point...he was being very respectful. merchants' line of questioning....and selection of words was very leading. when it came to ortiz' turn to interview...he gave him every opportunity to make it like floyd was the bad guy. let's not get any of this twisted though....larry is sporting an earpiece. his orders are coming from above and he's following the script. hbo was stirring the pot trying to create controversy where there was none.

Yes I have been headbutted before, and yes, I agree on the fact that it hurts. Somebody was trying to make it seem as if his "hole in his face" was oh so detrimental, so I brought up how bad Cotto's gash was in the Judah fight. Merchant always gets pushy with everybody during interviews and its obvious that Floyd isn't always the most eloquent speaker, but he needs to learn how put his stuff together when he's doing an interview.

Funny thing is, he only seems to be comfortable when he has the floor, but when pressing questions (or ones that he doesn't like) are asked, he starts acting funny.He did give Ortiz the chance to make Floyd look like the bad guy, but he did say little stuff to make him look like an ass. "...or is it, your bad?"I found that very condescending after Ortiz kept saying "it was my bad" and continuing his overflow of apologies, even after he was knocked out for doing the same thing.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2012, 07:18 PM) *
i have to disagree with this one...check the interview right after the floyd/ortiz fight for proof. ortiz was the one in the wrong...should have been blasted on for the cheapshot head butts...but merchant gave him a pass and asked him very leading questions. but again...his orders/questions come from up above. check how he switched directions on some of the questions mid-sentence to paint ortiz as the victim. very telling imo.

He was just answering all of Merchant's questions, thats why he somewhat gave him somewhat of a pass. Its clear that Mayweather sometimes gets bipolar and just flips the script for no reason. Notice in one of his interviews during the opening press conference, one of the reporters asked about the purse split between him and Ortiz, and Floyd suddenly cut the guy off and said, "Im not here to talk about money, so stop, just stop it". Doesn't he always talk about money, but when he asked about it, he flipped. I dont know if it was asked for a particular reason, but again, he's been bad about picking his times to lose it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 23 2012, 07:51 PM) *
Yes I have been headbutted before, and yes, I agree on the fact that it hurts. Somebody was trying to make it seem as if his "hole in his face" was oh so detrimental, so I brought up how bad Cotto's gash was in the Judah fight. Merchant always gets pushy with everybody during interviews and its obvious that Floyd isn't always the most eloquent speaker, but he needs to learn how put his stuff together when he's doing an interview.

Funny thing is, he only seems to be comfortable when he has the floor, but when pressing questions (or ones that he doesn't like) are asked, he starts acting funny.He did give Ortiz the chance to make Floyd look like the bad guy, but he did say little stuff to make him look like an ass. "...or is it, your bad?"I found that very condescending after Ortiz kept saying "it was my bad" and continuing his overflow of apologies, even after he was knocked out for doing the same thing.

He was just answering all of Merchant's questions, thats why he somewhat gave him somewhat of a pass. Its clear that Mayweather sometimes gets bipolar and just flips the script for no reason. Notice in one of his interviews during the opening press conference, one of the reporters asked about the purse split between him and Ortiz, and Floyd suddenly cut the guy off and said, "Im not here to talk about money, so stop, just stop it". Doesn't he always talk about money, but when he asked about it, he flipped. I dont know if it was asked for a particular reason, but again, he's been bad about picking his times to lose it.

he does get bipolar...and is one of the best at putting his foot in his mouth. he stumbles on the easy stuff. i've said it before...i'll say it again...he's done a great job of marketing himself as the villain...but ali, he is not.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 23 2012, 08:32 PM) *
he does get bipolar...and is one of the best at putting his foot in his mouth. he stumbles on the easy stuff. i've said it before...i'll say it again...he's done a great job of marketing himself as the villain...but ali, he is not.

I concur. Merchant was being an ass, now that I go back and watch it again, but again, Im waiting for the day that Mayweather puts his stuff together (verbally), and not stir shit up.
mgrover
at the end of the day on may 5th hbo will send in there commando, larry merchant, why? cause its damn good tv, and mayweather is never going over to showtime. if they do send in kellermen i dont see a difference, i see floyd flipping out again on any contraversial points, he never ever wants to put his hands up and say yes that was my fault
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 23 2012, 09:00 PM) *
at the end of the day on may 5th hbo will send in there commando, larry merchant, why? cause its damn good tv, and mayweather is never going over to showtime. if they do send in kellermen i dont see a difference, i see floyd flipping out again on any contraversial points, he never ever wants to put his hands up and say yes that was my fault

Exactly! Kellerman may find a way to smooth it out and get some good answers, but Im sure they all know that a this point of Floyd's career, it's obvious that he wont give any exclusive answers to questions just minutes after he's fought...especially if it pertains to who he fights next.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 23 2012, 09:00 PM) *

i wouldn't be surprised if floyd fights on showtime in the future. i think it's highly possible.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 23 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Exactly! Kellerman may find a way to smooth it out and get some good answers, but Im sure they all know that a this point of Floyd's career, it's obvious that he wont give any exclusive answers to questions just minutes after he's fought...especially if it pertains to who he fights next.

kellerman, imo, seems to understand boxing better than merchant and is much more respectable towards its' combatants. i guess that could be viewed as "smoothing out."
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 24 2012, 01:43 AM) *
kellerman, imo, seems to understand boxing better than merchant and is much more respectable towards its' combatants. i guess that could be viewed as "smoothing out."

+1

Let's not forget how much of much of a nuthugger Lampley was/is when it comes to Floyd...especially back in the day laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.