Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uh oh, don't play with Sergio.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
Great news! Hopefully they make this bout. Not so crazy about the Ward at 164 option, but I wouldn't say no to that one either.

What do you think?
TacomaBoy253
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 26 2012, 12:13 AM) *
Great news! Hopefully they make this bout. Not so crazy about the Ward at 164 option, but I wouldn't say no to that one either.

What do you think?

I like Floyd at 150 just for the simple fact he walks round 147 anyway. The weight drain on Martinez would be his downfall in this fight!! As for the ward match up tho that could be very interesting!!
Cheesey1
Yeah, I also pick Floyd. Yes the weight would make a difference, but how much only the boxers themselves know. Martinez is obviously a very, very, very live dog, but I think that FM will have a bit too much variety for Martinez and will keep enough of his speed and maybe add enough power to hurt Martinez.
pimpfighterROQ
are y'all serious?? Martinez draining to 150 will make him very very weak. Everyone is complaining of the 2 pounds drain by Cotto when he fought Pacquiao. But here's 10 pounds!! This guy walks around 160 lbs. Mayweather by a wide unanimous decision.

style wise, Mayweather has him beat. Add the weight drain effect, he'll be outclassed....

Ward fight is a much better fight for him. But then again, he wants to be pound for pound so I think he'll still go with Mayweather...
mgrover
he'll look like de la hoya against pacman
BigFightFan
Why is Sergio such a threat to everyone?
iKeNjiro
Yea thats just all bad for Martinez
He hasn't been at that weight in 9 years

Floyd has nothing to gain either
I doubt the ppv do higher numbers then Ortiz fight
an then there's that "Martinez was weight drained" that people will say after the fight
Which I'll agree with

So Martinez needs to take his big ass up to fight Ward or Bute

Floyd should fight winner of Berto/Ortiz
Then Cotto later this year an retire

Pacquiao fight ain't happening sad.gif

Floyd needs to do that FREAKING 50/50 split man WTFFFFFFFFF
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 26 2012, 05:13 AM) *
he'll look like de la hoya against pacman

I concur...drag.gif
Cshel86
Let's all hope that he gets past Macklin...I highly doubt that this fight would be a breeze in the spring for Sergio.
Cheesey1
The reason why I think that Sergio's a real threat is that IMO, him fighting at 150 is not the same as De La Hoya fighting at 147. I don't know what they consider their normal weights and while it can obviously be called a 3 lb difference if you consider the starting point as 154, then it's a lot easier to go down to 150 as opposed to 147 and still feel strong i.e. losing 4lbs as opposed to 7lbs.
As far as Sergio's skills, I never knew who he was until he and Williams had that first fight where P.Will got the controversial decision (I believe that was before Sergio beat Pavlik). At the time even I, a former die hard P.Will fan, reluctantly admitted that Martinez might have won. Long story short, Sergio has shown me enough fundamental quality and ring IQ that I'd put money on him against Pacquaio at 150 in a heartbeat.
Cheesey1
I do agree that he shouldn't look past MAcklin, which he says he isn't. Re. options for FM, as was said already, there are others apart from Martinez (same weight class - winner of Berto/Ortiz etc.), but it'd be very cool if it happened.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 26 2012, 10:32 AM) *
The reason why I think that Sergio's a real threat is that IMO, him fighting at 150 is not the same as De La Hoya fighting at 147. I don't know what they consider their normal weights and while it can obviously be called a 3 lb difference if you consider the starting point as 154, then it's a lot easier to go down to 150 as opposed to 147 and still feel strong i.e. losing 4lbs as opposed to 7lbs.

Put it this way Cheesey...at 150, Sergio would be fighting 3 lbs north of where he has no business fighting. As it's already been mentioned, he hasn't fought at 147 in nearly 9 years.

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 26 2012, 10:42 AM) *
I do agree that he shouldn't look past MAcklin, which he says he isn't. Re. options for FM, as was said already, there are others apart from Martinez (same weight class - winner of Berto/Ortiz etc.), but it'd be very cool if it happened.

He can look past Macklin if some step-aside money is being offered, and Mayweather fight is made at 154. Hell, for some step-aside money, Macklin may just look past himself!
mitukczuk
150 is a killer weight to make from Middle. I don't see Sergio to be in good shape at that weight. Especially against Money who will make him look bad either way. Puncher's chance is the only way to win Sergio has.

I was always wondering why Floyd havent fought at 154, he looks like he could do it. But I guess he just knows where to stop...

Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jan 26 2012, 11:11 AM) *
I was always wondering why Floyd havent fought at 154, he looks like he could do it. But I guess he just knows where to stop...

Hell, he didn't even make 154 for the DLH fight, or he chose not to. Im almost sure he can make it comfortably, and come in at the same weight on fight night.
daprofessor
i'd rather see martinez/pirog or golovkin.
pimpfighterROQ
Mayweather does look like he can make 154 easy too, with the body structure that he has. Seems he struggle to make a higher weight than 147. He's a true natural welterweight. Which is amazing since he's about 35 yrs? Im 23 and weigh 160, after lunch i become a super middleweight lol

Anyways, i think Martinez should fight Ward instead. A title fight. I think he'll beat Ward unanimous decision.
The Original MrFactor
Isnt Sergio fighting in March?!?! You mean to tell me that he'd immediately turn around and fight Mayweathert in May at 150. Thats just unsafe, man! It aint happening in May. I'd put my money on Mayweather/Cotto for May 5th. Martinez dropping to 150 in about 2 months is just silly talk. The only way Martinez happens, is if he postpones his next fight and then starts training for Mayweather in February.
BigFightFan
Floyd doesn't have ko power at 147, what make you think he will be effective at 154? He looked like shit against delahoya at a higher weight. 154 is a bad idea!
PerryInDaHouse
I'll bet money Floyd wouldn't fight him at 150. It would have to be at 154. Just imagine all the "catchweight" criticisms Floyd would get for taking that fight at 150...lol
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 26 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Floyd doesn't have ko power at 147, what make you think he will be effective at 154? He looked like shit against delahoya at a higher weight. 154 is a bad idea!

Because "power" and "effectiveness" have nothing to do with one another when you are arguably the sharpest puncher in the sport.

Take a poll on this forum and ask if someone would like strong punching power with average accuracy/sharpness or average punching power with incredible accuracy/sharpness.

When a guy can split your guard with a lead right hand and land cleanly on so quick that you can't even react to it, it's going to sting pretty bad, regardless of how you rate his punching power.

And Floyd does that all night long.

Cshel86
QUOTE (PerryInDaHouse @ Jan 26 2012, 06:58 PM) *
I'll bet money Floyd wouldn't fight him at 150. It would have to be at 154. Just imagine all the "catchweight" criticisms Floyd would get for taking that fight at 150...lol

I'll bet money that I know exactly who tha fuck you are cool.gif
BigFightFan
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 26 2012, 07:16 PM) *
Because "power" and "effectiveness" have nothing to do with one another when you are arguably the sharpest puncher in the sport.

Take a poll on this forum and ask if someone would like strong punching power with average accuracy/sharpness or average punching power with incredible accuracy/sharpness.

When a guy can split your guard with a lead right hand and land cleanly on so quick that you can't even react to it, it's going to sting pretty bad, regardless of how you rate his punching power.

That's cool and all but this fight would be a sleeper like the delahoya fight. Mayweather will be back pedaling all night cause Sergio will walk through his punches.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2012, 07:17 PM) *

Is it the guy who opened the fight hype hate thread? Lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 26 2012, 08:13 PM) *
Is it the guy who opened the fight hype hate thread? Lol

Nah...it's that other guy...the molester.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 26 2012, 07:16 PM) *

+1

Guys that think Sergio has all of this power, fail to realize that he appears to be powerful because he's accurate.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2012, 08:24 PM) *
+1

Guys that think Sergio has all of this power, fail to realize that he appears to be powerful because he's accurate.

Sergio really hasn't proven anything by knocking out P Will. My whole point is that this fight will generate money and interest but fail to live up to the hype. How effective was Mayweather against delahoya?
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 26 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Sergio really hasn't proven anything by knocking out P Will. My whole point is that this fight will generate money and interest but fail to live up to the hype. How effective was Mayweather against delahoya?

i think sergio proved he was the best in the division by beating williams and pavlik.

the fight will be a chess match because both are counterpunchers. i thought mayweather was very effective and held back on oscar in hopes of getting a rematch.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 26 2012, 08:42 PM) *
How effective was Mayweather against delahoya?

Uh ohhh...sounds like we're gonna have to get into the whole Mayweather/De La Hoya talk...
BigFightFan
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 26 2012, 08:57 PM) *
i think sergio proved he was the best in the division by beating williams and pavlik.

the fight will be a chess match because both are counterpunchers. i thought mayweather was very effective and held back on oscar in hopes of getting a rematch.

If you believe he held back to get a rematch I have swamp land to sale you Mr.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2012, 11:30 AM) *
Hell, he didn't even make 154 for the DLH fight, or he chose not to. Im almost sure he can make it comfortably, and come in at the same weight on fight night.

What I don't get is why doesn't fight him at 154? I hear all this talk about cotto at 154. But without a rehydration clause sergio at best will be at around 60-70% after draining for the weigh in. He will still be trouble for mayweather either way, all it takes is one shot like mosleys and I don't see him fading at all like sugar did.
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 26 2012, 12:14 PM) *
i'd rather see martinez/pirog or golovkin.

I'm sorry but people need to put pirog away please. He needs to fight someone for gods sake, anyone! Lol, p will, Lara, anybody. He's like a European guerrero. He brings absolutely nothing to the table other than the belt and a little hype from beating an unproven prospect.
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 26 2012, 08:57 PM) *

I don't think he gets enough credit for those either, and the barker fight. He fought a tough bigger guy and kod him by punching through his guard while dealing with a broken nose and after getting popped with some good shots.

That's exactly why I see this being a hard fight for money. The guys a stamina freak, he punches accurately with power and he will not go away. I could see both guys going down but if mayweather goes down sergio can put him away.

But I see mayweather using his movement to get Martinez coming forward and countering him on the move. I would take Floyd by decision
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2012, 09:24 PM) *
Uh ohhh...sounds like we're gonna have to get into the whole Mayweather/De La Hoya talk...

Not at all! I just hate that people are saying Floyd can go up to 150 and 154 and be the same fighter. They are both in there mid to upper 30's so they should ask Roy jones about jumping weight classes.
PerryInDaHouse
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 26 2012, 08:17 PM) *

I'll bet your theory is wrong. Better be damn sure you know what you're talking about before you make a false assumption bruh.
Cshel86
QUOTE (PerryInDaHouse @ Jan 27 2012, 02:46 AM) *
I'll bet your theory is wrong. Better be damn sure you know what you're talking about before you make a false assumption bruh.

Any dumbass who's quick to fire off at the mouth about somebody making any "assumptions", is usually guilty of something anyway. The fact that you still write like subpar, butt-hurt writer, gives me the notion that this is none other than Johnnyblaze aka Johnnyblade, who is also known as NovaRocafella aka KnownForRockinFellas, who is now PerryInDaHouse which just sounds absolutely sweet. Close enough?
Thegreatequalizer
the way i look at it is that i really don't see anyone 154 and below posing a real threat to mayweather. (though i would love to watch kirkland maul him a bit) so the logical choice is for floyd to move up, but he's already balked at going up that high. so how about a streaking middleweight who can come down to 154? martinez poses a real threat by style and size. i want to see if floyd is really as good as claims he is, and i just don't see him being able to prove that with anyone else around his weight.
PerryInDaHouse
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 27 2012, 09:40 AM) *
Any dumbass who's quick to fire off at the mouth about somebody making any "assumptions", is usually guilty of something anyway. The fact that you still write like subpar, butt-hurt writer, gives me the notion that this is none other than Johnnyblaze aka Johnnyblade, who is also known as NovaRocafella aka KnownForRockinFellas, who is now PerryInDaHouse which just sounds absolutely sweet. Close enough?

Doesn't mean I'm guilty, just means I know your style bruh.

Close but yet so far away. First off, I don't know who the hell "Johnnyblaze" or "Johnnyblade" is. Now we have KnownForRockinFellas and Nova Rockafella.. Haha what a coincidence.. but no.
I was Nova Rockafella homeboy that's all you get on me. By the way that's "Rockafella" not "Rocafella".

I took a break for a while but I've been on this site since back in the day, and damn I thought you could check IP's? If you could you would see the truth..
..but as of right now, you're far from the truth bruh.
Thegreatequalizer
oh, and i don't really understand the demand for a ward fight. martinez is like 4 inches shorter than a lot of those super middles and only 1 inch taller than floyd and people are acting like he's swimming in the kiddie pool or something. he only went up to middleweight because he got the opportunity to fight for the belt and there's more money at middle than jr. middle in general, but i think he's always claimed he's a natural jr. welter. just because some people fight way below their natural weight doesn't mean all fighters do that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (PerryInDaHouse @ Jan 27 2012, 12:58 PM) *
Doesn't mean I'm guilty, just means I know your style bruh.

Close but yet so far away. First off, I don't know who the hell "Johnnyblaze" or "Johnnyblade" is. Now we have KnownForRockinFellas and Nova Rockafella.. Haha what a coincidence.. but no.
I was Nova Rockafella homeboy that's all you get on me. By the way that's "Rockafella" not "Rocafella".

I took a break for a while but I've been on this site since back in the day, and damn I thought you could check IP's? If you could you would see the truth..
..but as of right now, you're far from the truth bruh.

Let me just save both of us the trouble, and make this as smooth as possible.

bye.gif
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 26 2012, 08:10 PM) *
That's cool and all but this fight would be a sleeper like the delahoya fight. Mayweather will be back pedaling all night cause Sergio will walk through his punches.

Unfortunately, walking through punches doesn't win you rounds. In fact, it causes you to lose them. Furthermore, when you walk through one too many (there will be many) especially those that you don't see, bad things often happen.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.