Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs Dawson Rematch Set For April 28
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Okay folks, as painful as it was the first time around...the rematch had finally been set. I LOVE this rematch for 3 reasons...

1. We have a chance to see who really wins. If Hopkins takes it, then he's still relevant (in regards to competing at the top level)...if Dawson wins, then, well...who gives a shit? (maybe because I dont like 'em).

2. It's free this time! Dammit! Thank you! That way, two of the upcoming fighters can take a vacant PPV date, and it shouldn't be out of the question (being the fact that they allowed this first fight hit the PPV circuit).

3. It's boxing!

Who settles the score this time around? Thoughts?
BoxingStill#1
Im not sure what how much I had to drink the last time they fought ,... trying to forget that I actually purchased the PPV....... until I received the bill....

I will be pulling for my favorite boxer.. but I have a haunting feeling this will be it for him..

Dawson by an ugly decision....
Plah
Dawson by close UD.
E.C.LEGEND
Dawson by wide UD. B-hop will be going up against someone he can't bully/roughup in the ring. Dawson is to big and fast for B-hop, hell Dawson just might KO his ass this time.
pimpfighterROQ
Chad Dawson all the way. He will knockout Bernard, i'm sure this time in my opinion. I hope Hopkins don't pull a Zab Judah on this fight.
checkleft
Not a fan of Dawson but I picked him by ud. He might even ko hops, he has that awkward athletic style like jermain taylor that Hopkins has always had trouble with. Im rooting for Hopkins because he has more entertainment value in whatever fight he can get after this than all of dawsons career up to this point. But i get the feeling dawsons gonna retire him
mgrover
KO? i dont understand why people constantly keep predicting fighters that havent been KOed in there long career that they will, i thinks hopkins will win a close and ugly fight that will look like something, right hand by hopkins, and he clinches, unless dawson picks him up again. dawson will fade down the straight, get frustrated and do something stupid, am going for punching himself tyson fury style.
Seek
Very glad they are doing the rematch. We fans deserve it after that shit Bernard pulled. Could have been the worst night of boxing of last year had it not been for DeMarco upsetting Linares. I liked how Dawson was looking. Very strong and aggressive. Don't count out Hopkins though. He could edge out a decision in this. Holding off on my prediction for now
Cheesey1
Dawson by UD, or possibly a TKO. I think that if Dawson can keep BHop on the outside enough with the jab and opportunistic combos, but also not get bullied on the inside, then he could get BHop out of there. As others have said Dawson looked strong and determined the last time and he has the skills to translate that into a possible ass kicking. I said "possible" and am not ruling out Hopkins by any means.
Dawson "punch himself, Tyson Fury style"....ha!
daprofessor
i'm hoping dawson doesn't pull a robert allen and come into this rematch underestimating the old man. i'd like to see chad send bflop into retirement. he should have never lied to his mother on her death bed. war dawson!!! threaten.gif
Thegreatequalizer
i think popkins time has come. no matter how well you take care of yourself, your physical attributes fade. hopkins power and speed have been diminishing more rapidly since he turned 40. i still think he has the juice to beat a lot of the upper guys out there, but dawson has really good skills and confidence. there's a reason why mayweather said after he "retired" that he thought dawson was the top p4per. i think a prime dawson is going to be too much for the aging popkins. dawson has a good jab and cuts the ring off well, both of which give hopkins' style problems. i won't count hopkins out, but i just don't see it happening unless something shady goes down.
mrchitown
I'm going with BHop again by UD. I made the error of attending the fight in October with my girl, so I'm happy to see that it won't be a PPV. There was nothing done in that short amount of time to make me think that Dawson was imposing his will.he did look focused and physically strong but him KO'ing Hopkins won't happen because he doesn't sit down on his punches. He's a lt-heavy version of Paul Williams when it comes to punching in my opinion. If Dawson can keep Hopkins on the outside, he can win. But I think that won't happen due to the craftiness of BHop and the knowledge that Nazim provides in the corner will prove to be to much for a mentally shaky fighter like Dawson
mrchitown
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jan 27 2012, 11:38 AM) *
i think popkins time has come. no matter how well you take care of yourself, your physical attributes fade. hopkins power and speed have been diminishing more rapidly since he turned 40. i still think he has the juice to beat a lot of the upper guys out there, but dawson has really good skills and confidence. there's a reason why mayweather said after he "retired" that he thought dawson was the top p4per. i think a prime dawson is going to be too much for the aging popkins. dawson has a good jab and cuts the ring off well, both of which give hopkins' style problems. i won't count hopkins out, but i just don't see it happening unless something shady goes down.

I remember Floyd saying that about Dawson on Shotime, but in all honesty, I think he said that because at the time Floyd Sr. Was training Dawson. It's funny that he hasn't said it since then
Cshel86
Sigh...sadly, the little bit that I saw in the first fight, isn't enough for me to make an educated assessment. As it's been said, Dawson did look strong and confused, but he was determined to be the aggressor. Hopkins on the other hand, seemed to have started off the same way he did against Taylor in their first fight.

Im almost curious as to see how Hopkins will bully Dawson, if he does. I dont really see him getting knocked out, since we haven't seen it thus far in his career. Guys like B-Hop and Shane probably wont ever be "stopped" in their career, but Hopkins did get hurt a couple of times in both Pascal fights, which raised my eyebrow a bit.

With somebody like Dawson, who utilizes his jab and follows up well (when he steps on the gas), that may pose a problem for Bernard...especially seeing as to how strong Dawson came on in the first fight. Now, if Hopkins can systematically wear Chad down, then he doesn't have to do anything else right at this point of his late career.

Dawson by close decision
Cshel86
laugh.gif

LMAO! Who voted for "freak accident"??? Dammit man! laugh.gif

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 27 2012, 03:53 PM) *
I made the error of attending the fight in October with my girl

laugh.gif

Damn I think I remember you mentioning this months ago!
mitukczuk
The past has taught me never to count B-Hop out.

With that being said I think that focused and active Dawson has the capability of winning by wider decision than most people would have thought. I don't see the fight ending in KO and if so its going to be a really bad one - as in premature stoppage, cuts. It will be a tactical fight and I am just hoping that everything goes well with both guys.

I see Dawson winning Taylor style (hungry, active and without stage-fright) but I am not betting against Hopkins and I will not be surprised if he wins a close decision based on the ridiculous ring IQ he possesses.
mrchitown
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 27 2012, 03:28 PM) *
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yes I did LOL. I wont be making the same mistake twice
thefloatingmonkey
Dawson should be able to easily win this; however, he is so friggin gun shy. If he lets his hands go he wins.
BrutalBodyShots
I've got Hopkins by close decision.

The first fight means absolutely nothing with regards to the rematch; whoever you picked to win the first fight is who you should pick to win this one.

Those predicting Dawson to win via stoppage, that's quite bold. Picking a guy that hasn't stopped someone in 5 years to stop a guy that hasn't been stopped is a stretch without question.

I do think Dawson's speed will pose some trouble to Hopkins over the first half of the fight. Hopkins has only really had trouble with guys with good speed... Taylor, Calzaghe, Pascal...

Dawson though seems to have too many lapses in his work rate; to me it feels like he takes a good minute off in every 3 minute round. For a guy like Hopkins that's older, a little slower, and prefers a slower pace this suits him well. I think during Dawson's lapses in work coupled with a natural slowing down a bit by the middle rounds (when Hopkins usually starts getting to work) I think we'll see Hopkins starting to time Dawson well and rough him up in the clinch. I don't necessarily think Hopkins will have enough in the tank by the last 3 rounds to snatch Dawson's soul the way he did some of his past opponents, but I think it will be enough for him to eek out a victory on the cards. Regardless of the victor, I see this ending up a 115-113 type fight. In fact, betting the draw isn't a bad idea if you like to gamble...

mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 27 2012, 09:28 PM) *
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

i still think dawson will go crazy and attempt something stupid, he may pull a gun out of his trunks and threaten bhop, in that scenario i have bhop winning by DQ
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 27 2012, 10:11 PM) *
i still think dawson will go crazy and attempt something stupid, he may pull a gun out of his trunks and threaten bhop, in that scenario i have bhop winning by DQ

So it was YOUR ass that voted for "freak accident"! laugh.gif Don't worry, I put it up there for a reason!
wolterb
hopkins by close decision
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 28 2012, 03:15 AM) *
So it was YOUR ass that voted for "freak accident"! laugh.gif Don't worry, I put it up there for a reason!

yeah it was lol, there both the same fighters, i can see the same outcome.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 29 2012, 10:32 AM) *
yeah it was lol, there both the same fighters, i can see the same outcome.

I wouldn't rule it out man. Anything can happen...funny, Ripley's Believe it or Not sponsored the first fight...then we get a freak accident that ended the bout laugh.gif
wolterb
lol^

Especially funny since most of the discussion pertaining to the first fight is whether or not you believe hopkins injury
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Jan 29 2012, 04:37 PM) *
lol^

Especially funny since most of the discussion pertaining to the first fight is whether or not you believe hopkins injury

It still remains to be seen. Glad we get to see a pending freak accident for free this time laugh.gif
Franchize
I think B-Hop loses by DQ. Hopkins is a crafty veteran. We all know that. He has tactics in the ring that walk the thin line between savvy and dirty. Lately, however, he's been less discreet with those tactics. His dirt has become a lot more visible. I just think, given the last fight's outcome, a referee will come in there overly concerned with maintaining the control in his ring. As a result, I think B-Hop will get nailed for some of his sneaky moves (that he relied on a lot in the Pascal fight). Shame because this fight should have been made years ago...back when it was interesting.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 31 2012, 10:47 AM) *
I think B-Hop loses by DQ. Hopkins is a crafty veteran. We all know that. He has tactics in the ring that walk the thin line between savvy and dirty. Lately, however, he's been less discreet with those tactics. His dirt has become a lot more visible. I just think, given the last fight's outcome, a referee will come in there overly concerned with maintaining the control in his ring. As a result, I think B-Hop will get nailed for some of his sneaky moves (that he relied on a lot in the Pascal fight). Shame because this fight should have been made years ago...back when it was interesting.

Pretty much the case here, but he crapped out last time (if he really did fake it), and it was worse because people had to pay for it. This time, he's walking a fine line, and people are getting tired of his "veteran tactics" and so forth.

For some reason, I believe B-Hop has soaked up the little bit of Dawson's output from the last fight, and he's going to capitalize on it...like he did for the Pascal rematch. Notice, he didn't look all that great in the first Pascal fight, but came back in the rematch, broke a record, and looked spectacular. Im not sure if he toys with Dawson in the same manner, but Im ready to see this free "make 'em or break 'em" bout.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 31 2012, 10:47 AM) *

Conversely you could argue that the referee could be a bit more pro-Hopkins in this bout if he disagreed with Dawson's actions the last time out. I could see him letting Hopkins get away with his subtle rough housing tactics but being a little more strict with Dawson the moment he tries to pull any shit.

It really could go either way.

wolterb
^ thats what im leanin towards, brutalbodyshots.

I think at this point of hopkin's career, considering his age, hes gonna enjoy more leniency in bending rules and being "rough"
If chad dawson drew a large fan base, it wouldn't be the case. But, dawson is sort of an obscure figure at this point and so isn't gonna be getting any handouts or privileges (especially when he is fighting hopkins, the oldest belt holder in boxing)
streetlion1
I dont like to bet against B-Hop and is one of my favorite fighters but he'll lose this fight and get stopped for the first time in his career. He is 47 and Dawson is too big...too fast and too technically sound.
Cshel86
I would hate to see Hopkins get stopped in this fight, but it's usually the biggest sign for a fighter to think about hanging 'em up...especially if it's late in their career.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2012, 09:14 PM) *
I would hate to see Hopkins get stopped in this fight, but it's usually the biggest sign for a fighter to think about hanging 'em up...especially if it's late in their career.

I think Hopkins is far too schooled and savvy to get stopped... especially at the hands of Dawson. I have no problem thinking Dawson may leave the ring the victor, but not via stoppage.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 3 2012, 09:21 PM) *
I think Hopkins is far too schooled and savvy to get stopped... especially at the hands of Dawson. I have no problem thinking Dawson may leave the ring the victor, but not via stoppage.

I was just looking at how Pascal was able to hurt Hopkins in their rematch, though Hopkins looked spectacular. Chad is a bit more technical than Pascal, well, by a long shot, so I think Hopkins will get caught with something this time around. We will see though....
Jack 1000
Too hard to call,

Hate going against Hopkins in rematches, but I think this time Dawson will have his number in a dull chess match. I believe the injury was legit in the first Hopkins fight. This time, Father Time shows up for Bernard. 116-112 on all cards for Dawson. Bernard might bow gracefully, or call everybody racist and go on a rant if it's a dirty fight. This is about 60/40 favoring Dawson. I would like to see a definitive outcome for either fighter just so we DON'T have to sit through a rubber match. UGGHHH!

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 3 2012, 09:40 PM) *
just so we DON'T have to sit through a rubber match. UGGHHH!

Currently...that's my biggest fear no2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.