Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rumor Has It... Alverez vs. Mayweather???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Gambit808
Saul Alverez is on his way to Los Angeles to sign on the dotted line to face Floyd Mayweather Jr on May 5th (Cinco De Mayo) for WBC Junior Middleweight Title at 154lbs limit... Also rumored to be the first boxing match to be televised in 3D.

Dangerous Fight for Floyd Mayweather if all holds true.

Expect An Announcement this weeks end.
Get0ffdanutzz
Not saying you're wrong... But there are a lot of rumors out there.. 154? ... I personally doubt if they did fight it would be at 154.. I guess anyone can say anything these days. Just rumors..
Cshel86
Im just waiting for either of the two FMJ or MP, make an announcement on their next opponent, so we can narrow things down...
DubC
Not saying it's true, but I heard that Tyson and Ali were close to signing for a fight on April 1st, 2012
Cshel86
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 09:15 PM) *
Not saying it's true, but I heard that Tyson and Ali were close to signing for a fight on April 1st, 2012

Say whaaaat???
DubC
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2012, 08:19 PM) *

Say whaaaat???

Hey, where'd you get that pic of my source? You know him too? Tell Tyrone Dubs said what's up
Cheesey1
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 09:21 PM) *
Hey, where'd you get that pic of my source? You know him too? Tell Tyrone Dubs said what's up

Funny stuff!

Chappelle, great comedian. If the Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock tour happens, that would be a must see.
Cheesey1
Cinco De Mayo - Mayweather vs. Alvarez. If it happens I can't wait until maxboxing and b.s estimate that it only did 750,000 buys on PPV and a $500,000 gate....
Cshel86
Well its almost February, so we should be hearing something soon (as stated in the initial post). Im just wondering how many times I've failed to read between the lines about who Floyd's next opponent is, Im sure it's been right in our faces for at least a month.
DubC
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2012, 08:35 PM) *
Well its almost February, so we should be hearing something soon (as stated in the initial post). Im just wondering how many times I've failed to read between the lines about who Floyd's next opponent is, Im sure it's been right in our faces for at least a month.

I called Cotto a long time ago...and I'm stickin with that...He refuses to go down to '47 for Pac, and I don't think he will budge from that...And it was "reported" that Floyd had no issues fighting Cotto at '54...Would like Ben's confirmation that the "report" was true...

Either way, that's still my call...Even though a Super Bowl blockbuster announcement would be pretty damn cool
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jan 30 2012, 08:18 PM) *
Dangerous Fight for Floyd Mayweather if all holds true.

I disagree that this fight is dangerous for Mayweather... I think it's a very easy fight for him with minimal risk. Alvarez has yet to beat even a top 10 type opponent and now we're talking about him beating the best fighter in the world?

Alvarez has done exactly what he's supposed to do as a young up and comer - beat gate keepers and past its. Guys like Cintron, Ndou, Baldomir... all were mild tests for Alvarez at best. These are all guys that had lost multiple recent fights and clearly past their best. Which is fine, don't get me wrong as Alvarez is a developing, growing fighter. Gomez is probably his best win to date IMO. Now we're going to go from Gomez to Mayweather? Let's be realistic here...

The only thing that makes this fight even mildly compelling is if Mayweather were to take it at 154 and not pull any catch weight BS. I see Mayweather making Alvarez look very amateurish at this stage of his career. Now, 2 years from now I think we could potentially have a much different, more competitive fight on our hands.
dhoward126
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 10:42 PM) *
I called Cotto a long time ago...and I'm stickin with that...He refuses to go down to '47 for Pac, and I don't think he will budge from that...And it was "reported" that Floyd had no issues fighting Cotto at '54...Would like Ben's confirmation that the "report" was true...

Either way, that's still my call...Even though a Super Bowl blockbuster announcement would be pretty damn cool

Cotto is also asking for a shitload of money too, that's also making things difficult for both Pacquiao and Mayweather. From what I've gathered as well, the word around the Wild Card is that Freddie has been given the heads up to get Manny ready for Timothy Bradley and same for Amir Khan who will be fixing to fight Shane Mosley, but who knows? Cotto may just get the magic number for either Pac or PBF, or maybe Canelo is coming to GBP offices to fight Shane Mosley instead of Khan? Just hold tight, we're almost there, and once we are get ready again to bitch and moan and fantasize about Pac and Mayweather not fighting.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 30 2012, 09:49 PM) *
I think it's a very easy fight for him with minimal risk. Alvarez has yet to beat even a top 10 type opponent and now we're talking about him beating the best fighter in the world?

Gomez is probably his best win to date IMO. Now we're going to go from Gomez to Mayweather? Let's be realistic here...

Yep, pretty much. It'll be another Mayweather/Baldomir fight, with Alvarez being a bit quicker. This will just be another payday for Mayweather, and a big opportunity for Alvarez that he's sure to not pass up. Seriously, in a couple of years, Floyd may not even be fighting, so Canelo can either take it or leave it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 09:42 PM) *
Would like Ben's confirmation that the "report" was true...

Trust me, if it true, then we would all have to wait. Im not sure he'd spread the news over the board just yet, again, we'd all have to wait. If he told anybody anything now, trust me, guys would turn into "overnight fighthype writers" and the shit would be all over Facebook, Twitter, and such.

Risking big news like that, is like telling a chick some deep, juicy news, and telling her not "not to tell" anyone...we all know how that goes. Somebody would spill the beans quick...

QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Jan 30 2012, 10:01 PM) *
Cotto is also asking for a shitload of money too, that's also making things difficult for both Pacquiao and Mayweather. From what I've gathered as well, the word around the Wild Card is that Freddie has been given the heads up to get Manny ready for Timothy Bradley and same for Amir Khan who will be fixing to fight Shane Mosley, but who knows? Cotto may just get the magic number for either Pac or PBF, or maybe Canelo is coming to GBP offices to fight Shane Mosley instead of Khan? Just hold tight, we're almost there, and once we are get ready again to bitch and moan and fantasize about Pac and Mayweather not fighting.

I cant blame him for asking for more money...hopefully he doesn't outbid himself though. Pacquiao/Bradley is expected, but Im hoping that they don't throw Khan in the lion's den with Shane laugh.gif Good ol' Mosley is still a bit of a threat nowadays...not sure if these young guys have that manufactured chin for a Mosley right hand. As far as the pissing and moaning about the megafight not happening...Im ready for another round of that, it should be expected by now laugh.gif
BigFightFan
I will take Alvarez if Mayweather actually weighs in at 154. Cotto is the easier fight at 154, but I doubt Mayweather will weigh any higher than 150 at the weigh i for ether one of those guys.
DubC
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2012, 09:15 PM) *
Trust me, if it true, then we would all have to wait. Im not sure he'd spread the news over the board just yet, again, we'd all have to wait. If he told anybody anything now, trust me, guys would turn into "overnight fighthype writers" and the shit would be all over Facebook, Twitter, and such.

Not like we are asking for the knowledge he has, but can't share...Just wanting to confirm if..........fml, never mind-I thought the article said at '54 but just re read to link it and it said "150 or above"...150 we already know he will go there....So forget all previous comments about '54...
DubC
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2012, 09:15 PM) *
I cant blame him for asking for more money...hopefully he doesn't outbid himself though. Pacquiao/Bradley is expected, but Im hoping that they don't throw Khan in the lion's den with Shane laugh.gif Good ol' Mosley is still a bit of a threat nowadays...not sure if these young guys have that manufactured chin for a Mosley right hand. As far as the pissing and moaning about the megafight not happening...Im ready for another round of that, it should be expected by now laugh.gif

Mosley-Khan would be a fuckin boring fight imo...The way Khan rides around on his unicycle all fight, I doubt Shane would even be able to catch him...We've seen Shane against faster fighters in the last couple of years and he hasn't looked good...ALTHOUGH, I would love to see that hook catch Khan flush on the chin laugh.gif I doubt it will happen...I'd rather see the Ghost vs Mosley personally, just to see how Robert holds the weight AND we know he won't run around like a skitzed cheetah...
dhoward126
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 10:29 PM) *
Mosley-Khan would be a fuckin boring fight imo...The way Khan rides around on his unicycle all fight, I doubt Shane would even be able to catch him...We've seen Shane against faster fighters in the last couple of years and he hasn't looked good...ALTHOUGH, I would love to see that hook catch Khan flush on the chin laugh.gif I doubt it will happen...I'd rather see the Ghost vs Mosley personally, just to see how Robert holds the weight AND we know he won't run around like a skitzed cheetah...

You would rather see Guerrero/Mosley than Khan/Mosley? I guess the Guerrero hype-train earned itself a passenger laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 10:29 PM) *

Yeah I think Khan would blow that fight, seriously. Khan is hittable, so Shane shouldn't have a problem landing. I just see picture it now, the crowd booing, Khan running in circles around Shane, and trying to land pitty pat combos to shut the crowd up.

Khan is a Plan A fighter, if shit falls through, then he shits his pants and makes shit up as he goes, along with a bunch of endless galloping. As far as The Ghost, those WW fights need to be a thing of the past, until he shows us something at 140.

Guerrero may walk around at 150, but I dont see him performing well at WW just yet, especially against Mosley, who's probably just eager to knock somebody out, in order to land another decent payday with a bigger name.
Cshel86
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Jan 30 2012, 10:50 PM) *
You would rather see Guerrero/Mosley than Khan/Mosley? I guess the Guerrero hype-train earned itself a passenger laugh.gif

Good one! There aren't any brakes on that train, it just keeps going! laugh.gif
thehype
laugh.gif SMH
DubC
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2012, 09:54 PM) *
Good one! There aren't any brakes on that train, it just keeps going! laugh.gif

Just like Khans legs...He keeps running around the ring, refusing to engage and throwing nothing of significance...Mosley lands once, and Khan will put his ice skates on and gtfo of the way...With Guerrero, we get a chance to see if he will be worth a shit at the weight....Or we see him KTFO...No one in this forum can honestly believe Khan would be a more exciting fight for Shane...

I like the Ghost, have for years...But all his talk about fighting May\Pac has become annoying...I just want to see him step up and see if he can actually back up that talk...Would be interesting, ALTHOUGH I would much rather see him fight Maidana biggrin.gif
DubC
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 30 2012, 10:11 PM) *
laugh.gif SMH

And he just comes in here to tease us................... black eye.gif laugh.gif
ristwrap
fasting on you lightweights.
Slumpage
I'm calling it as Floyd vs Cotto, Alvarez vs Mosely, split site PPV.. rap.gif

Alvarez went to LA, isn't Shane in LA?

I have no evidence of this, just seems like the best idea I can see. Although Floortiz is available now and talking about a rematch with Floyd, boo!
un01
so does floyd have to keep fighting guys at 154 for the rest of his career? its kinda of funny that the filipino from across the pond is the one who people think fights the bigger guys
Franchize
I have a strange feeling there might be an Ortiz vs Mayweather 2 if Berto truly can't fight. It's May 5, Ortiz is Mexican, theres bad blood (at least from Ortiz apparently), and some people aren't satisfied with Mayweather's victory.
Plah
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 31 2012, 08:45 AM) *
I have a strange feeling there might be an Ortiz vs Mayweather 2 if Berto truly can't fight. It's May 5, Ortiz is Mexican, theres bad blood (at least from Ortiz apparently), and some people aren't satisfied with Mayweather's victory.

I thought that too.... let's just hope this shit don't happen.
Cshel86
laugh.gif

Man, some people can be sooooo gullible. Every little shift in boxing news makes people chase their own tail. Trust me, Im sure Floyd knows who he's fighting next. I wonder what's the prize for all of these "I'm calling it, he's fighting _____" predictions. Bragging rights?

How many people here have sources??? laugh.gif They usually come out of the woodworks when they think a Mayweather fight is about to get inked. Im trying to see how many times we have to reiterate the fact that he doesn't have to face a Hispanic fighter just because it's Cinco De Mayo dntknw.gif
Seek
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2012, 10:15 AM) *
laugh.gif

Man, some people can be sooooo gullible. Every little shift in boxing news makes people chase their own tail. Trust me, Im sure Floyd knows who he's fighting next. I wonder what's the prize for all of these "I'm calling it, he's fighting _____" predictions. Bragging rights?

How many people here have sources??? laugh.gif They usually come out of the woodworks when they think a Mayweather fight is about to get inked. Im trying to see how many times we have to reiterate the fact that he doesn't have to face a Hispanic fighter just because it's Cinco De Mayo dntknw.gif

Hey man it's all good fun. What else are we supposed to do when we are not doing our jobs? Haha

I think this is a dangerous fight for Floyd at 154. That's Canelo's playground and he's not gonna lay down for anybody. I am very pleased with how serious he has taken his career. He fought 4 times last year? He's explosive, will be bigger and stronger and he just might turn into a monster on the night of the fight. I've been waiting to see this kid really fight
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2012, 11:53 PM) *
Khan is a Plan A fighter, if shit falls through, then he shits his pants and makes shit up as he goes,

Well, should Khan and Mosley fight, it will be billed, "Battle of the Plan A's" or "Clash of the Unprepared"...cuz Mosley hasn't had a Plan B since I can remember....
thehype
QUOTE (DubC @ Jan 30 2012, 11:44 PM) *
And he just comes in here to tease us................... black eye.gif laugh.gif

I'm still on the Erik Morales rumor.

laugh.gif

Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 31 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Hey man it's all good fun. What else are we supposed to do when we are not doing our jobs? Haha

Lol...I know. I'm just blown away by the "My guess is correct, I told you so" riff raff laugh.gif

As far as his opponent being Mexican, he doesn't have to be Mexican...but I would love to hear that national anthem!

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jan 31 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Well, should Khan and Mosley fight, it will be billed, "Battle of the Plan A's" or "Clash of the Unprepared"...cuz Mosley hasn't had a Plan B since I can remember....

laugh.gif

Trust me, I think Mosley would kick Khan's ass off the strength of Plan A. LOL. Mosley looks better at attempting a Plan B, than Khan does, who usually takes about 4 freakin' rounds to try something new.
Cshel86
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 31 2012, 09:52 AM) *
I'm still on the Erik Morales rumor.

laugh.gif

thehype
I'm just waiting to see if he's actually going to be licensed, which isn't an automatic, because if he isn't, he won't be fighting anyone on May 5.

That being said, I think Canelo has ALWAYS been an option, and so has Cotto, and it looks like Victor Ortiz could now even be a possibility. I would think if Cotto wants the fight though, he'd probably be plan A whereas Canelo would be plan B. But perhaps this latest development with Ortiz might alter plans. I doubt it, but you never know.

I'm just LOL'ing at SMH at so many rumors from so many people who seem to have all of these sources. I mean, just yesterday, Lennox Lewis was telling people that Floyd and Manny agreed to fight on May 5:

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/...mayweather-win/

It's just funny to me.

On a side note, what happened to Lem Satterfield's rumor about Canelo negotiating a fight with Cotto: http://ringtv.craveonline.com/rumors/artic...eing-negotiated

laugh.gif
Cshel86
Does this rumor train have any brakes on it? Im still stuck on the negotiations train (with no brakes), and Im sure that these trains are sure collide soon...Im not ready to meet my maker just yet dntknw.gif
Seek
It's tricky. Cotto probably asking for too much money or too big a cut of the ppv. Canelo will bring in more ppv buys with his Mexican following and being fairly well known but i'm sure he aint taking chump change neither. I'd say business-wise Canelo brings more money in Money's pocket.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2012, 09:15 AM) *
laugh.gif

We gotta do something in between you and Allmenjoi fights. aikido.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Seek @ Jan 31 2012, 10:35 AM) *
It's tricky. Cotto probably asking for too much money or too big a cut of the ppv. Canelo will bring in more ppv buys with his Mexican following and being fairly well known but i'm sure he aint taking chump change neither. I'd say business-wise Canelo brings more money in Money's pocket.

I slightly disagree. I believe Canelo will take whatever he gets, but will bring bunch of money at the same time. You're right, Cotto could possibly be asking for too much money, but I can imagine why he feels that he should get more money.

You're right though, Canelo may bring more money, but who knows...it may be neck at neck.

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jan 31 2012, 10:35 AM) *
We gotta do something in between you and Allmenjoi fights. aikido.gif

laugh.gif

Slumpage
laugh.gif

"I'm calling it as Floyd vs Cotto, Alvarez vs Mosely, split site PPV..

I have no evidence of this, just seems like the best idea I can see. Although Floortiz is available now and talking about a rematch with Floyd, boo!"

Wasn't expecting a prize, just thought i'd participate in the "rumour has it" thread and throw my 2 cents in. That not the point? dntknw.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Jan 31 2012, 12:00 PM) *
"I'm calling it as Floyd vs Cotto, Alvarez vs Mosely, split site PPV..

I have no evidence of this, just seems like the best idea I can see. Although Floortiz is available now and talking about a rematch with Floyd, boo!"

Wasn't expecting a prize, just thought i'd participate in the "rumour has it" thread and throw my 2 cents in. That not the point? dntknw.gif

Good post (as I've already read), but I was talking about folks in general making these wild ass guesses and expecting kudos for it when the fight is signed. Nobody knows, but hey, you're right, this is a "rumor has it" thread. Seriously, I think a Mosley/Alvarez fight wont even fit the budget, but it all depends.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Jan 31 2012, 06:05 AM) *
I'm calling it as [b]Floyd vs Cotto, Alvarez vs Mosely, split site PPV.. [/b]rap.gif

I have no evidence of this, just seems like the best idea I can see. Although Floortiz is available now and talking about a rematch with Floyd, boo!

that shit cray
Hotsauce
laugh.gif

i got my sources

he's fighting a mexican
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jan 31 2012, 06:28 PM) *
i got my sources

he's fighting a mexican

Shut up Hotsauce! I knew it wouldn't be long before you dropped in! laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jan 31 2012, 06:28 PM) *
i got my sources

he's fighting a mexican

taunt.gif
Hotsauce
my cousin plays for the moneyteam
BoxingStill#1
Lmfwao!!!!...

This thread is killin me...

Where does good ol' Marquez wind up in all this?.... why do I get the feeling he's going to be the one to fight Pac...

As expected
as planned

The whole time...

Bradely makes for a good scrap,. PPV worthy IMO.. but wayyy to much risk for Bob to throw him in there with..

One thing for sure, if Mayweather would make a fight with Ortiz im sure he wouldn't mind making the fight with Alverez..

Personally, im much more interested in watching Canelo with Cotto, much more competetive and evenly matched IMO.

Its always fun to see how everyone turns into the local news with all the "sources" when Manny and Mayweather aren't inked to anyone
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jan 31 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Where does good ol' Marquez wind up in all this?.... why do I get the feeling he's going to be the one to fight Pac...

As expected
as planned

The whole time...

Bradely makes for a good scrap,. PPV worthy IMO.. but wayyy to much risk for Bob to throw him in there with..

One thing for sure, if Mayweather would make a fight with Ortiz im sure he wouldn't mind making the fight with Alverez..

Personally, im much more interested in watching Canelo with Cotto, much more competetive and evenly matched IMO.

Its always fun to see how everyone turns into the local news with all the "sources" when Manny and Mayweather aren't inked to anyone

Thought I was the only one that felt like that laugh.gif I guess JMM just fell by the wayside, but hey, who knows. Im not sure about Bradley being a PPV worthy scrap for Pac, but maybe that's the naysayer in me.

***Cshel reaches for the Captain Morgan***
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jan 31 2012, 09:39 PM) *
my cousin plays for the moneyteam

Does he get high on coke and call radio shows with delusional stories about whooping a rapper's ass when he's as harmless as a baby's ass??? Just curious...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2012, 10:34 PM) *
Thought I was the only one that felt like that laugh.gif I guess JMM just fell by the wayside, but hey, who knows. Im not sure about Bradley being a PPV worthy scrap for Pac, but maybe that's the naysayer in me.

***Cshel reaches for the Captain Morgan***

already tipsy off the 151 brother...

yeah that why I threw the "IMO" in there... i think if the fight is PPV worthy is hightky debatable and almost worth its own thread..... trust me,.. id rather sit here and get drunk then argue about it..lmao
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.