Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will Mayweather...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
I feel that this is a legit question at this point of his career. Seriously, the age of 35 is right around the corner, and I don't see him fighting too much longer. Do I have proof of how long he will continue to fight? Nope. Did he say that he wanted to retire undefeated? Yes.

There are few opponents left for him that public have talked up, but haven't given him a big chance of losing:

Pacquiao: People that truly know the sport, will be generous enough to say that he has a puncher's chance of beating Floyd. For the rest of the world or casual fans, Pac still has a big chance of beating him. I will leave this one in the air, as it will remain there until the fight is signed.

Martinez: He may give Floyd a few hard rounds, but I've mostly read that he loses to Floyd.

Cotto: He gives Floyd a few good rounds, but loses a UD.

Alvarez: He's too green (as I've read)

Ortiz (again): Not a chance...

Berto: laugh.gif

Guer... laugh.gif

As for this list, it "appears" that Mayweather only has one challenging fight left in his career, and who says that he will fight the rest of these guys anyway. Most will say that he ducked certain fighters in the past, which I wont even attempt to argue about, because everyone will have a difference in opinions. The explanation of opponents have been gathered by various boxing articles, comments sections, forums, etc.

Thoughts?
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2012, 11:28 PM) *
I feel that this is a legit question at this point of his career. Seriously, the age of 35 is right around the corner, and I don't see him fighting too much longer. Do I have proof of how long he will continue to fight? Nope. Did he say that he wanted to retire undefeated? Yes.

There are few opponents left for him that public have talked up, but haven't given him a big chance of losing:

Pacquiao: People that truly know the sport, will be generous enough to say that he has a puncher's chance of beating Floyd. For the rest of the world or casual fans, Pac still has a big chance of beating him. I will leave this one in the air, as it will remain there until the fight is signed.

Martinez: He may give Floyd a few hard rounds, but I've mostly read that he loses to Floyd.

Cotto: He gives Floyd a few good rounds, but loses a UD.

Alvarez: He's too green (as I've read)

Ortiz (again): Not a chance...

Berto: laugh.gif

Guer... laugh.gif

As for this list, it "appears" that Mayweather only has one challenging fight left in his career, and who says that he will fight the rest of these guys anyway. Most will say that he ducked certain fighters in the past, which I wont even attempt to argue about, because everyone will have a difference in opinions. The explanation of opponents have been gathered by various boxing articles, comments sections, forums, etc.

Thoughts?

Actually this might be the reason he is so eager to fight Pac this time around.. he might be thinking about legit retirement...
Hotsauce
Well let me see first
checkleft
Martinez has the best chance of beating Floyd. He doesn't frustrate like manny and he won't swell/cut then run and gas like cotto. He's stronger than both and maybe just as fast as pac even at 150. He's faced adversity in the Pavlic, Williams 1, Cintron, and barker fight and he showed he can get through it. It would be his biggest challenge but I see him having more than a punchers chance. And idk who compared Martinez Mayweather to dlh mayweather but that's extremely out there in my opinion, dlh and Martinez are worlds apart in terms of styles. But cotto would end up getting stopped by mayweather at this point in his career.

But mayweather probably will finish his career this year or early next year undefeated. Not too much left for him out there.
BoxingStill#1
Idk what the fuck the deal is with this Martinez talk. Stay in or above your division and you could become as big or even bigger than Floyed Mayweather or Paquiao..

I have never liked the idea of Martinez sucking himself down 10+ more pounds to make that fight...

MAYBE.. if they met at 154lbs...
mgrover
oh who gives a shit anymore. :/
Cshel86
I honestly had to ask everyone, since he reiterated it several times throughout his career about retiring undefeated. I dont fully agree with the latter part of his career, but if he did it for money and it works out for him down the line, then oh well.

As far as the Martinez talks, I still dont get it either. At the most, he will have to come down to 154, but Sergio doesn't give a shit about a legacy or beating the best...he only cares about a payday at this point of his career. It's not hard to see how guys are willing to drain themselves or blow the fuck up, just for a payday no2.gif
Plah
Sergio at 154 would be the only Real challenge. A very tough fight for Floyd imo. Not gonna happen but imagine if he beats Cotto in May, then Pac or Sergio in November. And then retires undefeated. Would be amazing I guess.
E.C.LEGEND
Well HBO just threw a wrench into the negotiations. They just put a "late this year early 2013 sell-by date" on the fight. Paq has no problem fighting on show time whereas Floyd prefers HBO.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 1 2012, 09:36 AM) *
Sergio at 154 would be the only Real challenge. A very tough fight for Floyd imo. Not gonna happen but imagine if he beats Cotto in May, then Pac or Sergio in November. And then retires undefeated. Would be amazing I guess.

In the world of boxing, there is always "the next challenge"

Always a well hyped fighter that Floyed shoulda fought before he retired..

It was Cotto before

Its Pac right now

It will probably be Canelo or Bradley by then

Ironically we will likely never see any of them!! Lls
Plah
Seems like he's fightin' Cotto in May after all.
daprofessor
war cotto!!! aikido.gif :wav:
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 1 2012, 12:04 PM) *
In the world of boxing, there is always "the next challenge"

Always a well hyped fighter that Floyed shoulda fought before he retired..

It was Cotto before

Its Pac right now

It will probably be Canelo or Bradley by then

Ironically we will likely never see any of them!! Lls

Insert foot in mouth
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Feb 2 2012, 02:45 AM) *
Insert foot in mouth

laugh.gif

The admission of your mistake, has earned you points in the book of all predictions gone wrong! Lol
Hotsauce
NO!!!!

especially if he keeps fighting
daprofessor
at some point they all lose. i'll give floyd credit...he's done a great job of keeping the streak alive and making the most of his skills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.