Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: talk of khan/ortiz...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
who do u favor?
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 2 2012, 02:13 PM) *
who do u favor?

I dont see Khan stopping Ortiz and I cant see him back pedaling his way to a decision. So I guess im going with Ortiz.
sduck
Ortiz
mgrover
ortiz would ruin that chin
Cshel86
I gave it to Ortiz by close decision. I know the logical answer would be by KO/TKO, but think about it, Khan wont be there to get hit. If he happens to get hit good enough, he wont be strong enough to compete in an exchange, so the bicycle it is.

I have Khan winning a few rounds by landing and getting out of there, but I highly doubt if he subjects himself to thunderous punches like that. As we all know, Ortiz doesn't know how to finish (as somebody mentioned), so him starting strong and not getting Khan outta there, makes for a boring second half of the fight.
daprofessor
wow. i guess i'm the only one that thinks khan has a chance. laugh.gif

i think he can out box ortiz. it's coming down the stretch that would be difficult. khan appears to be faster...victor seems stronger. i really don't care who wins but i think it would be a great fight.
leonthegee
If HBO put this fight on with Mayweather/Cotto and Canelo 1.75 mill buys easy.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 2 2012, 09:46 PM) *
wow. i guess i'm the only one that thinks khan has a chance. laugh.gif

i think he can out box ortiz. it's coming down the stretch that would be difficult. khan appears to be faster...victor seems stronger. i really don't care who wins but i think it would be a great fight.

Khan can't box. He flurries and moves, and he's wild. I think he can stun and even put ortiz down but if lamont had Khan on his bike ortiz is gonna run him out of the ring. Ortiz is faster than lamont and by maidanas own admission he hits harder than anyone he's fought. I would pick ortiz by stoppage or ko with Khan winning some early rounds and ortiz coming on strong and stopping it knocking him out late.
MadFresh
Ortiz Vs Canelo? Or is that way off the mark? offtopic.gif
Franchize
What a fight this will be. I think Khan would pepper Ortiz for the 1st half of the fight. Even though his weaknesses have been exposed as of late, I still think he's a better boxer than Ortiz. However, I don't think he has the chin or punching power to keep Ortiz off of him for 12 rounds. I see this ending up like Cotto vs Magarito I (minus the cheating). Ortiz weathers an early storm of lightning fast punches and takes the steam out of Khan late. I gave Khan the benefit of the doubt and said he'd lose by close decision but I could see Ortiz knocking him the fuck out.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MadFresh @ Feb 3 2012, 04:38 AM) *
Ortiz Vs Canelo? Or is that way off the mark? offtopic.gif

Waaaay off the mark! Ortiz will shit his pants at the fact that he cant hurt Canelo. The Notre Dame mascot wont even give 'em a chance to quit...he'll wake up and his team will have to tell him what happens.
leonthegee
I was never sold on Khan especially after the Maidana fight. And watching the Peterson fight only solidified that. The way Peterson was able to get to Khan, without even jabbing, and bust him up on the inside tells me everything I need to know. His best offense was pushing off.
Khan has already peaked as a fighter. He will not be more than he is now and thats a middle of the division fighter. No where near a top level P4P fighter.
MadFresh
It would still be a good fight though! clapping.gif
mrwigi
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 3 2012, 09:16 AM) *
What a fight this will be. I think Khan would pepper Ortiz for the 1st half of the fight. Even though his weaknesses have been exposed as of late, I still think he's a better boxer than Ortiz. However, I don't think he has the chin or punching power to keep Ortiz off of him for 12 rounds. I see this ending up like Cotto vs Magarito I (minus the cheating). Ortiz weathers an early storm of lightning fast punches and takes the steam out of Khan late. I gave Khan the benefit of the doubt and said he'd lose by close decision but I could see Ortiz knocking him the fuck out.

+1

I was thinkin the same thing
bnoles4life
Would be interesting....I mean, according to Robert Garcia, who was the guy who made Victor quit prior to Maidana? Yep...Khan in the amateurs, right?
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 3 2012, 11:28 AM) *
Would be interesting....I mean, according to Robert Garcia, who was the guy who made Victor quit prior to Maidana? Yep...Khan in the amateurs, right?

Glad you're able to dig up such information, which is quite useful in this case. I haven't had time to stop at Home Depot and pick up a new shovel to dig up old info...I've successfully broke it across the head of trolls and the other reigning idiot on this board....I believe her name was Allme...well, yall know the rest laugh.gif

Really though, I had no idea that happened in the amateurs. Since Ortiz's history of being a dirty fighter seemed to resurface in his last bout...he better hope that the "history repeats itself" theory happens to miss him if he were ever in the ring with Khan again.

Not saying that Khan will have his way with him, but again, history has a weird way of repeating itself, so Khan may actually happen to look good in the ring (for once) against a live opponent. If history repeats itself in this aspect with Khan, then this fight is fucked before the opening bell laugh.gif
wolterb
anyone know the specifics on that amateur fight between ortiz and khan... if i had to guess i'd say Ortiz got frustrated chasing Khan around???

bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 3 2012, 12:42 PM) *
Glad you're able to dig up such information, which is quite useful in this case. I haven't had time to stop at Home Depot and pick up a new shovel to dig up old info...I've successfully broke it across the head of trolls and the other reigning idiot on this board....I believe her name was Allme...well, yall know the rest laugh.gif

Really though, I had no idea that happened in the amateurs. Since Ortiz's history of being a dirty fighter seemed to resurface in his last bout...he better hope that the "history repeats itself" theory happens to miss him if he were ever in the ring with Khan again.

Not saying that Khan will have his way with him, but again, history has a weird way of repeating itself, so Khan may actually happen to look good in the ring (for once) against a live opponent. If history repeats itself in this aspect with Khan, then this fight is fucked before the opening bell laugh.gif

LMAO!!! I'm in class, when I read this, I snickered and my instructor just glared. fuck.gif, Shely!!!!!

I'm not saying Khan would win, but I think he goes into that fight w/ a TOTALLY different mindset than Victor. Victor has to prove he can beat Khan, while Amir needs to prove he can beat Ortiz, AGAIN. That being said, Victor could/should have some success vs. Khan, in particular, late. IMO, it's a pick 'em fight, w/ a case being made for/against both.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 3 2012, 11:54 AM) *
LMAO!!! I'm in class, when I read this, I snickered and my instructor just glared. fuck.gif, Shely!!!!!

I'm not saying Khan would win, but I think he goes into that fight w/ a TOTALLY different mindset than Victor. Victor has to prove he can beat Khan, while Amir needs to prove he can beat Ortiz, AGAIN. That being said, Victor could/should have some success vs. Khan, in particular, late. IMO, it's a pick 'em fight, w/ a case being made for/against both.

Tell your instructor to join the board...maybe he'll ease up on yall a bit!!! laugh.gif

Wolterb already made it clear that Ortiz may be frustrated with possibly chasing Khan. I don't see Khan letting his sack drop and trying to get Ortiz outta there...being the fact that he has his eyes set on bigger fight (Mayweather in particular), which has fucked him up thus far.

As far as Ortiz, if he shows the same type of quickness that he showed in the Mayweather fight, then he may catch Khan with something. Again, I dont see Khan standing there long enough to get caught with something, which sucks the fun out of the fight a bit.

wolterb
aye bnoles...do you know for sure that Ortiz QUIT in the fight? I can't find anything official on it, but the overwhelming result from my google search (lol) suggests Khan actually knocked out Ortiz in the 2nd round...that is so hard for me to envision.
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Feb 3 2012, 12:31 PM) *
result from my google search (lol) suggests Khan actually knocked out Ortiz in the 2nd round...that is so hard for me to envision.

Now, THIS would definitely be interesting...
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 3 2012, 12:47 AM) *
Khan can't box. He flurries and moves, and he's wild. I think he can stun and even put ortiz down but if lamont had Khan on his bike ortiz is gonna run him out of the ring. Ortiz is faster than lamont and by maidanas own admission he hits harder than anyone he's fought. I would pick ortiz by stoppage or ko with Khan winning some early rounds and ortiz coming on strong and stopping it knocking him out late.

i just think khan has enough to stick and move and stay away for the majority of rounds....and ortiz has shown more than once, he's not a patient/stable person. so basically it will come down to what happens first? does khan gas...or does ortiz get broken down mentally before he's able to do anything? ortiz came on late with berto...but he had early success against berto. i can't see him dealing with khans movement and combination punching early on. i could be wrong. it's happened once before.
streetlion1
Ortiz would smash Khan no doubt.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (wolterb @ Feb 3 2012, 01:31 PM) *
aye bnoles...do you know for sure that Ortiz QUIT in the fight? I can't find anything official on it, but the overwhelming result from my google search (lol) suggests Khan actually knocked out Ortiz in the 2nd round...that is so hard for me to envision.

There's an interview on FH w/ Robert Garcia and he talked about how Khan frustrated the hell outta Victor and Vic basically, stop punching and let Khan "tee off" on him, w/o any return fire. I don't know if he "quit", a la the Maidana fight, but when you basically, quit punching and let a guy "open up" on you..... That may not be EXACTLY quitting, but it's a close fuck'n relative to "quitting". As far as Khan KO'n him, I don't remember that in the interview (fyi, which was in the Aug-Sep timeframe).
Plah
I have Khan by really close UD.
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 3 2012, 07:10 PM) *
There's an interview on FH w/ Robert Garcia and he talked about how Khan frustrated the hell outta Victor and Vic basically, stop punching and let Khan "tee off" on him, w/o any return fire. I don't know if he "quit", a la the Maidana fight, but when you basically, quit punching and let a guy "open up" on you..... That may not be EXACTLY quitting, but it's a close fuck'n relative to "quitting". As far as Khan KO'n him, I don't remember that in the interview (fyi, which was in the Aug-Sep timeframe).

that's kind of how i envision the fight happening. i had no idea they ever fought.
dhoward126
Khan stopped Ortiz due to a 20 point system rule, Khan landed 22 on Ortiz and they stopped the fight due to the rule. Khan can't fight going backwards, is easy to hit and would be giving up a lot of size to Ortiz. Ortiz also knows the Roach system, he use to train at the WildCard and sparred with Manny and the jets for a while. I'd give the edge to Ortiz if they fought.
wolterb
QUOTE (dhoward126 @ Feb 3 2012, 07:52 PM) *
Khan stopped Ortiz due to a 20 point system rule, Khan landed 22 on Ortiz and they stopped the fight due to the rule.

Damn! Thanks for the info.

I agree with you...I cannot imagine Khan winning against Ortiz in the professional setting. I doubt these two will fight, anyway. I'm guessing Khan team is back to the drawing board...after getting shaken up by Peterson there is no way they'll put him in another scenario where a strong opponent is coming forward all night - they gotta be rethinking the whole welterweight campaign, too, I imagine...
Cshel86
Hell, Khan is actually considering an Ortiz fight. Wonder how far this one will go, or maybe Khan is blowing smoke out of his ass to stay relevant, who knows...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.