Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to Joan Guzman?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
I totally forgot about this guy. I know like 4-5 years ago his problem was he was only fighting like once a year for a period of years but he seemed very promising. I feel like I have not seen him fight in a few years and I never hear anything about him. As far as I know he's still undefeated. Did he simply let his window of opportunity close back when he was on the rise?

mitukczuk
I think he got his license suspended after second Funeka fight for 6 or 8 months (not sure) for using some banned substance - dunno which one. But I am not sure. Also, he was coming to fights few pounds above the limit which cost him his reputation. I used to love watching his fights. Especially when Floyd Mayweather Sr. was his trainer. But I think he will not be the same if he gets his license back as he is in his late 30's now if I remember correctly.

But true talent, that's for sure. Speed, Defense, Punching power.
bnoles4life
He's somewhere NOT making weight.
flazi
i hear he ballooned up to 180. making his cruiserweight debut next, for which he will not make weight lol. He is fighting at 140. Claiming low testosterone as his reason for ballooning up so much between fights.
Box in Hand
Fat boy can't stay away from the kitchen. His next bout is against a bowl of spaghetti. Sucks cause he had massive talent.
Cshel86
Last time I remember, he was on B.A.D. swinging at Funeka like a tasmanian devil in their rematch. I always heard about his problems making weight and how good he was supposed to be and blah, blah, blah.

After a fighter CONSTANTLY has problems making weight, its hard to feel bad for 'em or even wonder where they are for that matter.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 4 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Last time I remember, he was on B.A.D. swinging at Funeka like a tasmanian devil in their rematch. I always heard about his problems making weight and how good he was supposed to be and blah, blah, blah.

After a fighter CONSTANTLY has problems making weight, its hard to feel bad for 'em or even wonder where they are for that matter.

Totally agree with the last point. Truth is though, he was a really talented boxer. Troubles with making weight is a sign of lack of motivation and self-discipline which means he was not a World-class material anyway. Sad.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 4 2012, 07:49 PM) *
Troubles with making weight is a sign of lack of motivation and self-discipline which means he was not a World-class material anyway. Sad.

+1

There was no better way of wording that one...
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 4 2012, 06:49 PM) *

Not making weight was bad enough, but what REALLY pissed me off, was for the Nate Campbell fight, he didn't even try to sweat off any pounds. Next, after Nate said he'd still fight (obviously, w/ a portion of Guzman's purse going to Nate), Guzman wouldn't fight. Instead, he went to the hospital for some "mysterious" ailment. Not only did he screw Nate outta a title defense, but a payday altogether. It's one thing to screw yourself outta $$$, but to f*ck someone else outta loot is unforgivable, considering how "iffy" boxing is from the start.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 4 2012, 08:00 PM) *
Not making weight was bad enough, but what REALLY pissed me off, was for the Nate Campbell fight, he didn't even try to sweat off any pounds. Next, after Nate said he'd still fight (obviously, w/ a portion of Guzman's purse going to Nate), Guzman wouldn't fight. Instead, he went to the hospital for some "mysterious" ailment. Not only did he screw Nate outta a title defense, but a payday altogether. It's one thing to screw yourself outta $$$, but to f*ck someone else outta loot is unforgivable, considering how "iffy" boxing is from the start.

Yep, grounds for a royal ass-kicking! Kinda reminds me of the bullshit that went down for the Corrales/Castillo rubber match. Now THAT shit wasn't uncalled for, to say the least...though both of them used to have life & death battles with making weight.
BoxingStill#1
He fights Jesus Pabon March 2nd.

Just in case you don't know who

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=...4&cat=boxer o he is .....
daprofessor
not making weight is a serious issue for guzman...but i can't call it lack of discipline. i just watched a great show on hbo which tracked brandon rios and showed his inability to make weight in his last fight. he trained the way he normally trained....but did not eat the week of the fight. that shows me a serious lack of understanding by him and his ppl on how the body works. there needs to be serious education in boxing. as for guzman...i believe there's an issue he may not be aware of. a thyroid problem....or some kind of chemical imbalance. the problem is, most of these fighters do not have health insurance and aren't exactly the type to go to doctors in the first place. if detected, those problems can be manageable. his ppl need to look out for him. he was definitely a serious talent who should have accomplished more in his career.
Cshel86
Hell I would've never known that most of these fighters dont have insurance. I would think they did, being the fact that they are involved in a contact sport. Hell, I hop in my car every day to get from A to B, and Im not insured yet (healthcare), so that may very well be the case with some of these fighters with no health insurance.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 7 2012, 12:29 AM) *
Hell I would've never known that most of these fighters dont have insurance. I would think they did, being the fact that they are involved in a contact sport. Hell, I hop in my car every day to get from A to B, and Im not insured yet (healthcare), so that may very well be the case with some of these fighters with no health insurance.

there needs to be something made available to them...but that is at the bottom of a loooooooong list of things that need to change in boxing. in the amateurs....they have health insurance for accidents...but i don't believe u can go to the dr for something like a thyroid problem. i believe it's only for injuries. the deductable is high as fuck too.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 7 2012, 01:45 PM) *
there needs to be something made available to them...but that is at the bottom of a loooooooong list of things that need to change in boxing. in the amateurs....they have health insurance for accidents...but i don't believe u can go to the dr for something like a thyroid problem. i believe it's only for injuries. the deductable is high as fuck too.

Health insurance just for accidents??? WTF? What kind of health insurance is that? laugh.gif No need in inquiring something about your own body and hoping to get it checked out. Hell, in the event of an "accident", I guess they will find other things wrong in the process...sort of reminds me of a car shop...you take it to get one thing fixed, and they find other shit!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 7 2012, 09:17 PM) *
Health insurance just for accidents??? WTF? What kind of health insurance is that? laugh.gif No need in inquiring something about your own body and hoping to get it checked out. Hell, in the event of an "accident", I guess they will find other things wrong in the process...sort of reminds me of a car shop...you take it to get one thing fixed, and they find other shit!

anyone who registers with usa boxing is covered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.