Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winky Wright vs Peter Quillin Done for May 5th
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Looks like Kid Chocolate gets his chance at the big stage. This is a step up for him (in a way), and he will have a shot at a big name on his resume. Im wondering how much Wright has left in the tank.

Thoughts?
Jhill47
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 12 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Looks like Kid Chocolate gets his chance at the big stage. This is a step up for him (in a way), and he will have a shot at a big name on his resume. Im wondering how much Wright has left in the tank.

Thoughts?

I'm just excited about the entire event. This shaping up to be a damn good card. Good luck with Pac/Bradley trying to top this card.
Jovi
QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Feb 12 2012, 08:59 PM) *
I'm just excited about the entire event. This shaping up to be a damn good card. Good luck with Pac/Bradley trying to top this card.

The only way i see Pac/Bradley topping this card is if they add a Donaire fight which is pretty possible since i know Arum wants to make alot of money. and even though it could be along shot, the rematch between ortiz and berto. Thats something ill gladly pay another 60$ for smile.gif
jrosales13
QUOTE (Jhill47 @ Feb 12 2012, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 12 2012, 11:01 PM) *
The only way i see Pac/Bradley topping this card is if they add a Donaire fight which is pretty possible since i know Arum wants to make alot of money. and even though it could be along shot, the rematch between ortiz and berto. Thats something ill gladly pay another 60$ for smile.gif

I disagree with this being a good card. I actually think having Mosley and Winky at this stage on the card actually downgrades the card. What's next? Deontay Wilder vs Evander Holyfield? Lattimore vs Camacho Sr? Jesse Vargas vs Barrera? I would put Malignaggi vs Sugar Ray Leonard.

Greatest card ever.
Cheesey1
Nah, I think that this is a great card. It's a chance for two very good young boxers to show if they've got what it takes and also introduce themselves to the public It's also a chance for two legends of the sport to show that they've got something left in the tank (Mosley doesn't but I'll still enjoy watching to see if Canelo can beat him).
It's great for the future of boxing as I'm a big fan of Alvarez and Quillin and the main event still has suspense as Cotto's at his chosen weight.
jrosales13
A great card would have been Alvarez vs Delvin Rodriguez or at the very least against Gabriel Rosado. And, Quillin vs Golovkin or at the very least against Fernando Guerrero.

I can't wait to hear Roy Jones Jr to be signed to this card.
flazi
i agree its a good card. quillen will be tested by winky cause he won't get a chance to ko him and you can never count out these veterans these days. Canelo mosley will be good also. Mosley loves fighting mexican brawlers, it will be good but he should lose a 12 round decisions.
Jovi
really good card, quillen and wright seems like its gonna be brawl since i dont see either of them backing down from each other, if winky is still kicking it can be very entertaining. Canelo/mosely, i defintely see canelo finally being the one to KO mosely finally. Hes a strong good puncher, actually does body shots, and it was actually funny seeing him try to attempt Mayweather's defense and not do as well as it, atleast he knows he needs to work on his defense lol. But if mosely is coming in with his "knocking heads off" attitude i see this being a good too with Canelo KOing him eventually. If pac put him down then canelo can most deff finish him!! aikido.gif
mitukczuk
I am not as much excited about the undercard as I was before tbh. At first, it sounded great...but now thinking about it...Mosley is playing the "Bring on whoever" game which does not mean he still got it. It is the same game as RJJ is playing. He simply doesn't have any other chance than fighting whoever they put in front of him..including bums. (Not saying Canelo is bum) That with the addition of me not being his fan means a disappointment. On the other hand, it can be an interesting fight and I will definitely watch it.
Same with Winky, he used to be a goddamn solid fighter, but now..3 years out of the game? That raises more than one question. But same as with Mosley/Canelo fight. It can be an interesting fight but I doubt we are going to see Winky who beat Mosley.

All in all I like the undercard but I think that Top Rank won't be having such a hard time in creating the adequate Pac/Bradley undercard. Sadly. But one thing is for sure, TR will not get more PPV buys. Which is good !
Cheesey1
QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 12 2012, 10:56 PM) *
A great card would have been Alvarez vs Delvin Rodriguez or at the very least against Gabriel Rosado. And, Quillin vs Golovkin or at the very least against Fernando Guerrero.

I can't wait to hear Roy Jones Jr to be signed to this card.

Those are good matchups, but this card appeals to the mainstream fans and enough to the boxing purists that it definitely warrants the attention that it's getting. I'm happy that it's happening.
jrosales13
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 13 2012, 10:43 AM) *
Those are good matchups, but this card appeals to the mainstream fans and enough to the boxing purists that it definitely warrants the attention that it's getting. I'm happy that it's happening.

The mainstream fans will buy it just for Floyd-Cotto...The mainstream fans will not buy it for Winky who hasn't fought in 3 years is on the card. Winky wasn't even a mainstream attraction when he was actually active. But, even then, why not bring up Holyfield against Wilder....it appeals to the mainstream. Great card.

Cheesey1
QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 13 2012, 09:46 AM) *
The mainstream fans will buy it just for Floyd-Cotto...The mainstream fans will not buy it for Winky who hasn't fought in 3 years is on the card. Winky wasn't even a mainstream attraction when he was actually active. But, even then, why not bring up Holyfield against Wilder....it appeals to the mainstream. Great card.

Mainstream fans still like Mosley and probably know Winky's name more than Guerrero (why didn't Guerrero take the Malignaggi offer?). Mainstream fans aren't stupid, they're just mainstream.
I agree that the main event will get their attention (that's why it's called the main event), but the undercard will make spending the $60, or going down to the local cinema and paying $20 etc that more justifiable. Either way, it's a great evening of boxing that will see many fight parties and IMO will do good for the sport.
Not the best ever, but definitely great.
PlayaPartner
This is a great card. You guys are never satisfied. no matter what is put in front of you. The Mosley/Canelo fight will prove that either Mosley is finished or if Canelo has what it takes to go from king of B level to top echelon fights. This will show if kid chocalet has what it takes or if Winky has anything left. Maywether fighting at 154 sets the stage for him to fight Martinez at a higher weight. He knows he is faster than Cotto at that weight and this gives him a chance to see if he can handle the heavier punches.

I am excited about the match=ups.

Maywether fights Martinez at 154 in November (Just my prediction)
Cshel86
Im noticing that there are older fighters fighting young up and coming fighters on this card, and as Cheesey said, it's good for the mainstream, but as a harcore fan, it's a bit "iffy" but acceptable. Bittersweet, if you would. The only kicker is, guys who are known (Canelo, Mosley, Wright) have NO BUSINESS fighting somebody relatively unknown on cards like this.

I agree that Quillin isn't a big name, just yet, but he should be a good enough fight for Wright. I would much rather watch Canelo fight Rodriguez, but again, how would that fight look (to the mainstream fans) as a B.A.D. main event or on an undercard like this. WE know who Rodriguez is, but do they?

Fact is, Canelo is a "star" (or an up and coming star being processed), so he has no business losing to guys like Rodriguez, or any other stiff challenge in the division. If guys like that were to beat him, then the next question would be, "Okay, so what are we going to do with this new guy that just beat Canelo?"

As far as Quillin, this is a good test for him, he needs it.
jrosales13
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 13 2012, 10:52 AM) *
Mainstream fans still like Mosley and probably know Winky's name more than Guerrero (why didn't Guerrero take the Malignaggi offer?). Mainstream fans aren't stupid, they're just mainstream.
I agree that the main event will get their attention (that's why it's called the main event), but the undercard will make spending the $60, or going down to the local cinema and paying $20 etc that more justifiable. Either way, it's a great evening of boxing that will see many fight parties and IMO will do good for the sport.
Not the best ever, but definitely great.

NO it's not a great card. Maybe for you it is a great card. But, this having Mosley and Winky IMO has downgrading the card. Again put Roy Jones Jr and Holyfield on the card. Why not? The mainstream knows them right? That's what matters right? So therefor that will make the card so much greater.

The main event was for the mainstream fans. The undercard was for the hardcore fans.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 13 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Im noticing that there are older fighters fighting young up and coming fighters on this card, and as Cheesey said, it's good for the mainstream, but as a harcore fan, it's a bit "iffy" but acceptable. Bittersweet, if you would. The only kicker is, guys who are known (Canelo, Mosley, Wright) have NO BUSINESS fighting somebody relatively unknown on cards like this.

I agree that Quillin isn't a big name, just yet, but he should be a good enough fight for Wright. I would much rather watch Canelo fight Rodriguez, but again, how would that fight look (to the mainstream fans) as a B.A.D. main event or on an undercard like this. WE know who Rodriguez is, but do they?

Fact is, Canelo is a "star" (or an up and coming star being processed), so he has no business losing to guys like Rodriguez, or any other stiff challenge in the division. If guys like that were to beat him, then the next question would be, "Okay, so what are we going to do with this new guy that just beat Canelo?"

As far as Quillin, this is a good test for him, he needs it.

The mainstream fans don't buy the cards for the undercard. They don't care about the unddrcard. They will buy it cuz' of Floyd and Cotto. The undercard is for the hardcore fans.

Canelo has no business losing to guys like Mosley, or any none-stiff challenge in the division. If Mosley would do beat Canelo that will hurt GBP.

I don't know how Winky is a good test for Quillin. Last time we saw Quillin it was 3 years ago....I repeat 3 years ago. And, he look like shit then. Granted it was against a horrible stylistic match up. But, it was 3 years ago the last time he was in the ring. What's even worse when was the last time he won a fight? 5 or 6 years ago. People go off too much from reputation and what they did yesteryear.
Cshel86
QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 13 2012, 04:01 PM) *
The mainstream fans don't buy the cards for the undercard. They don't care about the unddrcard. They will buy it cuz' of Floyd and Cotto. The undercard is for the hardcore fans.

Canelo has no business losing to guys like Mosley, or any none-stiff challenge in the division. If Mosley would do beat Canelo that will hurt GBP.

I don't know how Winky is a good test for Quillin. Last time we saw Quillin it was 3 years ago....I repeat 3 years ago. And, he look like shit then. Granted it was against a horrible stylistic match up. But, it was 3 years ago the last time he was in the ring. What's even worse when was the last time he won a fight? 5 or 6 years ago. People go off too much from reputation and what they did yesteryear.

You're right about the fact that mainstream fans dont buy PPVs for the undercards, but sometimes, there are exceptions. For example, Canelo was on the last Mayweather card, so was Morales. Some people may want to see Canelo and Morales, more than the main event, but that may go back to your point of hardcore fans.

As for this upcoming card, if somebody was a hardcore Mosley fan, but doesn't really care to see any other fighter, would that make them a casual/mainstream fan?Winky could be considered a good test for Quillin, because if anything else fails in Winky's game, he still has defense that frustrates the hell outta guys. Now, if Quillin penetrates that defense and puts Winky away, then good for him.

If he cant penetrate the defense and end up looking like Pac/Clottey, Donaire/Navarres (sp), Martinez/Barker, etc, then that could hurt Quillin and make him look somewhat like a one-dimensional fighter, or a fighter who cant break down his opponent's defense.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 13 2012, 04:01 PM) *
NO it's not a great card. Maybe for you it is a great card. But, this having Mosley and Winky IMO has downgrading the card. Again put Roy Jones Jr and Holyfield on the card. Why not? The mainstream knows them right? That's what matters right? So therefor that will make the card so much greater.

The main event was for the mainstream fans. The undercard was for the hardcore fans.

I'm assuming that you're joking re. Holyfield and Roy Jones Jr.
We could go back and forth re. what Mosley and Wright bring to the promotional element of this card etc. but it's irrelevant. The matches are happening, I know what I'm doing on Cinco de Mayo and that's leaving my parents basement and going to watch some boxing.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 16 2012, 09:08 AM) *
I know what I'm doing on Cinco de Mayo and that's leaving my parents basement and going to watch some boxing.

Leaving your parents' basement??? Thought you from Mars Cheesey? dntknw.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 16 2012, 09:14 AM) *
Leaving your parents' basement??? Thought you from Mars Cheesey? dntknw.gif

What, we can't have basements on Mars? Damned earth people, always thinking that you're better than us Martians.....
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 16 2012, 11:02 AM) *
What, we can't have basements on Mars? Damned earth people, always thinking that you're better than us Martians.....

laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
I don't think the under card fights are for hardcore fans all the time. Mainstream fans yes base their purchase of the event 90% of the time on the main event. However, the other 10% that possibly man not buy it in fact MAY if the under card has a "mainstream fan" appealing fight. So yes, a way past prime guy like Mosley or even Holyfield/Jones to that type of fan would register more PPV buys.

I really wish boxing PPVs gave as much content as UFC PPVs. With the UFC you get at LEAST 4 if not 5 televised fights, then after the main event they replay the 2-3 under card fights that weren't shown live earlier in the night. So basically you end up seeing 6-8 fights for your $60, as opposed to 3 if you're lucky with a boxing PPV, more often than not only 2.

Anyone think boxing should air the fights that weren't shown live after the main event is over similar to UFC?

Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 16 2012, 02:00 PM) *
Anyone think boxing should air the fights that weren't shown live after the main event is over similar to UFC?

Good post. I dont truly believe they should show those fights afterwards, they should make time to show them on HBO or Showtime (whatever network distributes the PPV card), or even a national television channel (like UFC does) before the fight airs on PPV.

For the JMM/Pac III card, the untelevised bouts were shown on the Audience Network (on DirecTV) before the card started. With that said, I believe that they should show the post-fight pressers after the card is over, since there's usually at least 2 hours remaining on the card. Im not sure how much more this would cost the staff at these bouts, but it's worth a shot.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 16 2012, 02:16 PM) *
Good post. I dont truly believe they should show those fights afterwards, they should make time to show them on HBO or Showtime (whatever network distributes the PPV card), or even a national television channel (like UFC does) before the fight airs on PPV.

For the JMM/Pac III card, the untelevised bouts were shown on the Audience Network (on DirecTV) before the card started. With that said, I believe that they should show the post-fight pressers after the card is over, since there's usually at least 2 hours remaining on the card. Im not sure how much more this would cost the staff at these bouts, but it's worth a shot.

Yup. Even if you hate UFC, there is no arguing that their PPVs are much more valuable; you easily get 2-3x more for your money.

Cshel86
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 16 2012, 02:28 PM) *
Yup. Even if you hate UFC, there is no arguing that their PPVs are much more valuable; you easily get 2-3x more for your money.

Tell me about it! Those undercards on network television were worth watching, and when they close to coming to an end, I found myself wanting to watch more. Lo and behold, the commercial for the Diaz/Condit fight kept airing.

I ALMOST ordered it...glad I didn't though, but the fact that I considered it, meant that the promotion was effective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.